GT STS-DH Bike 1998 or Older

3.09/5 (22 Reviews)

GT STS-DH

Submitted by Mark Ratke a Downhiller from England

Date Reviewed: May 27, 2001

Strengths:    Cheap to buy second hand

Weaknesses:    Weak, squeks, flex's, bends, Snaps, cracks, (all this and i'm a 14 year old who weighs 8 stone). Really expensive to maintain, difficult to find parts and now looks really old and out of date.

Bottom Line:
I felt i ought to write back and change my opinions one year down the line

Don't by this bike unless you intend to do cross country. It breaks really easyly ive cracked two within one year, i've had to replace bushing twice. And cracked a spin whhel jumping some steps. Carbon fibre isn't up to the job of dh and it shoil have been left ont the xc course. The big suffers from major sideways flex and the suspension doesn't seem that plush anymore.

I now am the proud owner of a gt lobo which rules. Take my advice don't buy a sts dh unless you enjoy visiting you bike shop or hospital.

Favorite Trail:   Aston Hill

Purchased At:   second hand

Similar Products Used:   Sts 1000,Lts 1, Gt lobo, Orange patriot, Marin b-17

Bike Setup:   judy dh's, spin wheels, xtr v's and shifters, lx cranks, flite seat etc.

Submitted by ROB a Racer from B.C.

Date Reviewed: May 19, 2001

Strengths:    control going down fast on loose and sketchy terrain

Weaknesses:    rear end(triangle),shock,seat angle-hits shock,climbing....

Bottom Line:
Nice bike to look at but don't expect to ride it very long because they have many weaknesses which will rear their ugly head on the first couple of rides,too bad though;loved it at first,but now I will never ride it again because it breaks often and you can't get parts or service......
Anyone need parts................ha ha.
Good for riders under 170 lbs and nothing large for drops..

Similar Products Used:   Kona Stinky,Stinky deelux,Brodie

Bike Setup:   All the god stuff.

Submitted by Patrick a Downhiller from Northeast

Date Reviewed: May 18, 2001

Strengths:    Sweet feel and angles for DH & Freeride....u can actually climb with this rig.....but thats it!

Weaknesses:    The design of the front lugs @ the headtube. Seat tube positioning...shox hits when seat is low(really have to have 2 seat set-ups...1 for DH & the other for Freeride.

Bottom Line:
Junk.....and the very first from GT...(11) GT's so far, and this was a poor excuse for a Mt. bike.
Broke 5 days after I bought It...Second practice run of the 99 NCS a seven springs....Man I was so stoked for this rig to perform when all of the sudden.... snap the bike In two on a half ass little rock garden....but a least I was hooked up by Stewart at the GT factory pit....with a LoBo...and finished 14th expert.(with no practice w/ LoBo)
Ha! Recieved a new LoBo the next week....and still rocking today....

Favorite Trail:   Nosedive,W.Va

Purchased At:   Dale's Bike (my sponser)

Similar Products Used:   Lobo..LTS..Rts

Bike Setup:   Xt..Raceface..Kenda DH..RST..MRP..Azonic

Submitted by Javier Garza a Cross Country Rider from Alice,TX

Date Reviewed: March 20, 2001

Strengths:    getting you out of ruts.

Weaknesses:    Bearings,Bearings

Bottom Line:
This Bike by far is the better full suspension bike i have owned compared to the cannondale super v 1000 i had owned. It climbs better,and accelerates better. They no longer make this version anymore and i am glad i manged to get one of of MTBR online. However Cannondale,and GT do have better full suspension's now,and i have tested both newer bikes but GT for me has been the better bike. This 96 model is upgradeable to your specification's. i have No,regrets selling my cannondale and buying this older sts. Since i am a hardtail rider pay no attention to my ratings even though they are good. This GT-sts will make a good race on rough terrain.

Favorite Trail:   Lajitas desert race/Mathis trail

Purchased At:   MTBR Online

Similar Products Used:   Cannondale super V 1000

Bike Setup:   Currently has Syncros carbon seatpost,Syncros flatbar,Yellow Race Face cabon cranks,World Class Titanium bottom Bracket,ESP sl Shifter,and deraileur,Xtr front Deraileur,Chris King Hubs(Blk) Mavic 517 Wheels with Titanium spokes,Yellow Race Face Head set,Yellow Race Face stem,Onza bar ends,and Mythos red wall xc tires.For the Fork I have A SID 96 model

Submitted by Rob a Downhiller from B.C.

Date Reviewed: March 13, 2001

Strengths:    Roll outs,responsiveness,layed back geometry

Weaknesses:    Rear shock hitting seat post when too low,but seat too high in the lowest position

Bottom Line:
So far the bike has been great,the comments from others has me worried though.I have already done more with this bike than any other,it has me totally stoked for big drops and jumps so I guess I'll just ride it hard and see what happens.

Similar Products Used:   None,only demo rides on a couple

Bike Setup:   5" bomber,2.4's,discs etc

Submitted by Ben W a Cross Country Rider from NH

Date Reviewed: January 15, 2001

Strengths:    I only tested this bike at a shop and now im going tobuy it

Weaknesses:    ive heard people say it squeeks but the company will give you a bearing kit so its all set

Bottom Line:
this bike kicks serious ass
two of my friends have one and they are excellent downhillers
im going to start this summer and they recomend this bike because its so adjustable and upgradable
this bike is really cheap for how kickass it is
you cant feel anything cross country riding and i havent tried it yet downhilling but i can only imagine how cool it will be when i get one very soon

Favorite Trail:   College woods NH

Purchased At:   ___

Similar Products Used:   HARO EXO 2000 really nice ride

Bike Setup:   stock

Submitted by Neil Baxter a Weekend Warrior from Christchurch , New Zealand

Date Reviewed: August 17, 2000

Strengths:    He looks really awesome, and has a lot of adjusterbility,
Good Brand, and well supported

Weaknesses:    I have a small nad it is just to big for my 5ft 4in body, I just cannot get the seat low enough, I need something much smaller
The bike was squeaking after the first ride, I not that impressed, This should have a bearing kit for the price

Bottom Line:
Great bike but just to big for me, It was a dream to ride but I couldn't control the bike because of the ride height and weight, I think I will try and buy a smaller DH frame

Favorite Trail:   Anywhere around Sth Is. NZ

Purchased At:   CBO USA

Similar Products Used:   GT LTS 1000(1999) Marin B-17(1999)

Bike Setup:   Pace RC-150, Hope Discs, 24in Wheels, 3in Tyres(FR), Azonic, crank, Rollercoater Guide

Submitted by Mark Ratke a Downhiller from Wiltshire,England

Date Reviewed: April 17, 2000

Strengths:    This Bike is great. The suspension is sooo plush, and is really easy to set up and adjust. It looks great and is also light enough to do XC on the way to my Trails

Weaknesses:    Bearing's used to squeak but i put some oil and grease on it which stops it for a week or two but then i have to do it all over again. I'm going to phone up gt and get them to give me a bearing kit

Bottom Line:
This bike rules i wouldn't change it for anything except maybe a year 2000 Santa Cruz Super 8. The suspension is ultra plush and it handles like a dream. I wish they still made them.I'll give it 5 for value cos i got second hand at a bargain £800, i'll give 5 for performance too despite the squeaky bearings.

Favorite Trail:   Savernake Forest

Similar Products Used:   santa Cruz Heckler

Bike Setup:   GT STS 1000, White Bros DC118, XTR brakes rear mech etc. And spin wheels (which haven't bent or snapped and look great)

Submitted by Han a Downhiller from Malaysia

Date Reviewed: July 22, 1999

Strengths:
O.k

Weaknesses:
Some

Bottom Line:
The STS is a good bike but GT should always keep in touch with the comments users made. Mine has a squeaking sound inside the headtube and until now I still can't detect the cause of the sound. Through my eyes, there's no cracking visible. Anyway, yes the bike is a very good bike for DH. The handling is awesome.

6 months

rock shox

Submitted by mike jackson a downhiller from spokane wa

Date Reviewed: December 19, 1998

Bottom Line:

All you who bash the sts are a bunch of dumb shits you idiots obviously have never owned one.The bike is still being used on the world cup circuit even after the lobo has come out.All you who COMPLAIN about the noise try to matain your bike!If you knew what the hell you were dooing you should not have any problems with the bike I've owned 2 and this is the best DOWNHILL bike I have ever rode.GT RULES!!!!!!!!!

Submitted by Josh a downhiller from WA

Date Reviewed: November 21, 1998

Bottom Line:

Sounds like my new STS-DH is going to be a big piece of SHIT!! I bought it the same day that I broke my wrist in a race in August, and sounds like you guys aren't having good luck with yours either. So sell your shit bikes and buy an Intense Uzzi DH!

Submitted by Jason a downhiller from USA

Date Reviewed: October 21, 1998

Bottom Line:

This bike is great for the first couple of rides. After that the frame starts to fatigue. It creaks and cracks as the rear suspension moves. I broke the frame at the BB (causing a HUGE wreck and a trip to the ER) after 5 or 6 rides. GT was very hesitant to warranty the bike and when they finally agreed to replace it, which took 4 weeks, they sent a used front triangle only. After more agueing, they agreed to send the complete-new frame. This took another 4 week. Each time I called for a status, the GT warrany dept would give me the same BS line We just got the frame into our dept today...we'll ship it out tomorrow...2 day air...you'll have it in time to race next weekend.... I went through the same BS last year w/ my LTS 2. I have never owned a bike other than a GT. All 3 of my current GT's are up for sale. I won't deal w/ a company that can't build a product that won't break, or stand behind it when it does.

Submitted by FOO a racer from WA

Date Reviewed: October 21, 1998

Bottom Line:

The GT STS DH is a big plastic piece of junk. I have seen more strength from a milk carton jug. I have not and will not own one, but I have seen several people injured from the frame failure. The pivots creak bad and the slop in the rear pivot behind the shock should be illegal. My advice: stay with metal.

Submitted by Lee from downhiller

Date Reviewed: October 6, 1998

Bottom Line:

I've had a second hand STS DH for a couple months now, and I love the performance of the design, but don't think thermo is ready for primetime. Mine hasn't cracked yet, but it creaks and crackles inside the head tube lug when I apply pressure in either forward or backward directions. I still love GT's and the LTS design is awesome, but this particular bike is also built up with some crap...DHO is not real downhill material. Its strong enough, but it has no performance, even with speed springs. The formula discs are good until you heat them up and they pump up real bad. But its my baby and Im sticking with it till it breaks and hopefully it won't land me up as bad as George.

Submitted by George a downhiller from Austrailia

Date Reviewed: September 27, 1998

Bottom Line:

I've only owned the bike for 5 months and I can honestly say that this bike is a piece of shit and I hope GT rots in hell and dies. The headset ovalized after only 2 months and i got a replacement frame but then I was racing in a local DH race when both the top tube and down tube cracked at the headtube, almost instantaneously. Despite my armour I suffered a broken collarbone, 2 racked ribs and I broke my lag in 4 seperate places. GT said that they were having breakage problems with thier frames and would replace it again but because of that bike/frame i can no longer race due to my leg which has not healed properly. I hope other people will realize that their publicity is due to the outrageous advertising budget they have and is not representative of their bikes quality. If they invested half their advertising budget into designing safer bikes they might not have as many negative reviews. Most of the carbon-fibre GT frames have been given shitty reviews and most have broken according to other riders on this site alone. Please do not support a company that will charge an arm and a leg yet can give you something that will stand up to the abuse it is designed for. The bike deserves a 0, the comany deserves a 0!!!!!!!!!1