GT Rebound Bike 1998 or Older

4.53/5 (53 Reviews)

GT Rebound

Submitted by santanajimmy a Weekend Warrior from Orlando, Florida, USA

Date Reviewed: January 10, 2010

Strengths:    This Bike has serverd me well from day one. I kept the Original components. The only thing I added were toe clips.

Weaknesses:    The original pedals were hard plastic which I have had to replace with metal, after about five years of use.

Bottom Line:
Bottom line I love this Bike. I have not been riding much in the last 2 years but I'm getting ready to do so soon. I keep it very clean(almost anal about it). As expected ridding in the woods components need adjustment every now and then but other than that, It performs well.

Favorite Trail:   environmental center

Purchased At:   Dave's Cycle World

Similar Products Used:   My first Bike was a Giant which I loved as well however it had no suspension whatsoever and the GT was an upgrade.
y daughter still ride my old Giant.

Bike Setup:   Original stock except for upgade pedals

Submitted by mike cresswell from mason city ia

Date Reviewed: February 26, 2008

Strengths:    great strong bike i keep thrashing it, it breaks, but nothing major. sturdy frame, great in winter and summer.

Weaknesses:    the color md yellow, hate it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bottom Line:
i ride in every month of the year here, ive had it up to 40 mph intown numerous times, i must have 4000 miles on it already its been through alot when i bought my rebound, it was like new, not a scratch, well its got some dents and lots of scratches now, but it still is the best dam mountain bike ive ever owned ,it didnt cost me 2000 dollars either !!!! its been everywhere and through everything i haveit means alot to me!!!!!!!!!

Favorite Trail:   ride in winter or in citys alot

Purchased At:   personal seller in mason city

Similar Products Used:   haro, gt, gtinterceptor W/ 50t sprocket and 1.50 100psi lightweight slicks. raleigh cadent 4.0 2006

Bike Setup:   11-23 road bike casette,3 sets of rims. pair for dirt tires, pair for panaracer 1.25 messenger tires 120 psi, pair for experemental purposes. upgrade on crank berrings to sealed berring

Submitted by Richard Rosmarino a Racer from Guttenberg,NJ,USA

Date Reviewed: July 1, 2007

Strengths:    speed,drifting,

Weaknesses:    heavy,steering,

Bottom Line:
this bike is extremely good for top end racing.it is suitable for drifting,racing,top speed racing and can catch up to high performance Road bikes AND THIS BIKE IS A MONGOOSE BLACK SUPRA MAGIC BIKE "20"

Favorite Trail:   N/A just striaght out race (top end)

Purchased At:   union cycle

Similar Products Used:   Mongoose Mischief,Diamondback DB78,GT Performer

Bike Setup:   tecktro "U" front brakes 908 brake pads,promax rear caliper brakes 908 tecktro pads,Diamondback Racing fork,180 mm Redline cranks and pedals,carbon fiber ceramic bearings and rear ball-bearings,13 mm rear sproket,

Submitted by Chip from Lancaster, PA

Date Reviewed: November 24, 2006

Strengths:    Frame is great. Its a solid bike. I was hit by a car when riding and the frame was mint although needed new wheels.

Weaknesses:    Very weak shock. The Rock Shox Jett is terrible, upgrading. components are basic. Derailer acts funny sometimes.

Bottom Line:
I have had the GT for over 5 years and it has held up very well. The frame is the best part of this bike. The GT would be a excellent starter bike and it is upgradable.

Bike Setup:   Mostly stock, a few litte things. Then again this is my communting and beater bike.

Submitted by Refligio Garlando a Cross Country Rider from Tallyho, Florida

Date Reviewed: October 13, 2006

Strengths:    Strength, relatively light, durable

Weaknesses:    Shock a little iffy

Bottom Line:
This bike is great. Been riding it for 8 years now, nothing bad to say about it. Have had to tighten most components, headset busted replaced with an FSA Pig. Seat a POS replaced it right when I got, along with the pedals, naturally. Will replace shock pretty soon, maybe with a Manitou R7, probably bringing weight down to ~23. Might also replace Deore stock components with old XT and wheelset from my lazy friends 98 Trek Singletrack 970. Cant beat this bike, tried and true geometry, upgradeable, a truly legendary bike.

Favorite Trail:   Redbug

Purchased At:   Teks

Submitted by Dave from PA

Date Reviewed: September 19, 2006

Strengths:    A great frame design and I upgraded it to a good extent. I didn't like the Rock Shox and they leaked so i replaced them. (I bought the bike used and rebuilt it) It is a little heavy but that's all the more to make me stronger. Some components left stock: Handlebars, crank, rear hub, lower headset portion, and seatpost.

Weaknesses:    A little heavy and the bottom bracket is making a little noise (as expected).

Bottom Line:
This bike is excellent if you want to be a better cyclist because the weight helps for training, it is also extremely strong and I have really put it to the test as to what a hardtail can do, it exceeds my hardtail expectations, and it continues to. Five flaming ones for this romping machine.

Favorite Trail:   Perkiomen Trail PA

Purchased At:   Tailwind Bicycle Shop

Similar Products Used:   Cannondale F series, Diamondback Response Comp, Gary Fisher Marlin, Gary Fisher Opie, and I've worked on and rode several others.

Bike Setup:   Check my profile for my current bike setup.

Submitted by Ernest Wee a Cross Country Rider from Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

Date Reviewed: August 16, 2006

Strengths:    super strong. i got knock down by a car reversing and my rims were gone. but nothing on the bike. heck, even the car cumpers were dented and my rebound is still as great as ever.

Weaknesses:    have not really seen any weakness for this price range bike. have not seen any bikes this price range this good. but comparatively with what my friend has, its a bit on the heavy side. but its super strong

Bottom Line:
cheap, strong, looks good, rides better. what more is there to say. if you are on a budget and wnat something super decent, get a this bike. i spent in total USD 300 i think.

Favorite Trail:   Bukit Dinding, LIterally call Wall Hill. Soon to be Kiara.

Purchased At:   second hand frame only

Bike Setup:   Shiman Alivio breaks and shifters, Deore LX hubs, front cassete, derrailuer, avid breaks, Rockshox Judy TT,Mavvic 221 wheel set, GT seat post, Velo Seat, tattoo handlebars. all customed on the bike much later as i bought the frame only

Submitted by Mark Lasch a Cross Country Rider from Friendswood, TX, USA

Date Reviewed: March 18, 2004

Strengths:    Absolutely Bomb Proof

Weaknesses:    A little heavy

Bottom Line:
I recently took a group of kids on a MTB weekend to Rocky Hill Ranch. While headed down I-10 the GT flew off my roof rack (@ 70 mph) and into the center lane of traffic. It was hit a couple of times before the police could shut down traffic to get it out of the way. Out of the 10 bikes we took on the trip the GT was the only one I didn't have to work on. Other than a few scratches it was fine and was ridden the entire weekend...It is one strong bike!

Favorite Trail:   Ant Hills

Similar Products Used:   Cannondale SV 900

Bike Setup:   bone stock

Submitted by Carlos Perez a Racer from Santa Rosa, CA, USA

Date Reviewed: September 24, 2003

Strengths:    Amazing durability. I have had this bike since '99 (almost 4 years) and haven't had any frame or crank issues. The shifters and deraileurs still work well and I've never changed the Judy's. I've raced this bike for quite some time now.

Weaknesses:    Seems to be a little heavey but all of that can be remedied. It's a noisy downhiller and the stock seat is a POS. The size I got has pedals that are sometimes a little too close to the rock, but I manage.

Bottom Line:
If you're new to mountain biking then this is a great starter bike. You can probably pick one up used for around $200 or less today depending on where you look. I'll be upgrading soon because this is not a serious downhiller's bike and I like to romp.

Favorite Trail:   Northstar

Purchased At:   The Bike Peddler

Submitted by Allen a Cross Country Rider from san antonio

Date Reviewed: May 25, 2003

Strengths:    frame and price

Weaknesses:    componets

Bottom Line:
after all the upgrades tthe bike is great, light as hell and handles and climbs great.

Purchased At:   action bikes

Similar Products Used:   trek

Bike Setup:   everything but the frame. vilocity deep v rims w/xtr hubs, easton carbon fiber riser bars and seat post, sella italia pro link seat, sid sl 100mm fork, sram 9.0sl rear derailleur, shorty shifters, cassette, and pc 99 chain, avid ti brakes, race face next lp cranks and rings, welgo mag pedals hutchinson air light python tires

Submitted by jason bell a Racer from reno, nv, us

Date Reviewed: March 13, 2003

Strengths:    the frame is pretty strong. i would say because it got ran over and didnt bend or crack. the stock wheels and components lasted about a year and a half.

Weaknesses:    The weeknesses i would have to say are the components.

Bottom Line:
well i love this bike it has been threw so much. from it getin ran over to dropping it off a 15 foot cliff. it is a great bike exspecially if you just want a cruiser. but it deos great on the trails.

Favorite Trail:   keystone canyon

Purchased At:   bikes ect.

Similar Products Used:   specialized rock hopper. and khs b***h

Bike Setup:   shimano deore rims, rockshox the judy tt, shimano avilia derailer. and the rest is stock.

Submitted by Todd Handelman from Kensington, MD USA

Date Reviewed: March 3, 2003

Strengths:    Reliable, battle tested, needs minimal maintainence...just the basics. I've never had to walk it back in, it always brings me home.

Weaknesses:    It certainly isn't the lightest bike, but not the heaviest either. Seat was uncomfortable, so I replaced it with anatomically correct and added a thud buster. What a difference! Rock guard didn't last long at all.

Bottom Line:
I love this bike...I've considered getting a new bike from time to time, but then decided just to upgrade different components. I guess the only thing that might make me trade it in would be if I wanted to upgrade to disc brakes and full suspension, but to be quite honest, the thud buster works great and I haven't really had any performace problems with the stock brakes. This bike is really low maintancence! I hose it down after each ride and get it tuned up every 6 months. Never had a flat, gears are fine. Some minimal adjustments to the brake lines. RS Judy do great! I consider myself an intermediate rider and this bike has progressed as I have.

Favorite Trail:   Schaeffer Farm Trails, Germantown, MD

Purchased At:   Griffen Cycles, Bethesda, MD

Similar Products Used:   GT's

Bike Setup:   Changes: anatomically correct saddle (with male channel), thudbuster seat post, SPD pedals, replaced straight bar with riser bar, added bar ends, but cut them down to pegs.

Submitted by David Louden a Cross Country Rider from Altoona, WI, US

Date Reviewed: December 23, 2002

Strengths:    Reliable, gets me through the trail, and is very eay to maintain. Especially for a High Student like myself, who tends to put aside proper maintenance care to his baby

Weaknesses:    got it used, though my dealer said it hadn't been used hardly because the previous owner never could really race, so it was like brand new except for some scrapes there & there.

Bottom Line:
Bottom line is that i like my rebound, it's been my most expensive bike that i've put money into, and i plan to hit Canada with a long-time friend of mine when we Graduate in 2003!!!!!!

Purchased At:   250.00

Bike Setup:   I put disc brakes on and clicker pedals

Submitted by jeremy garcia a Cross Country Rider from silver city,n.m.,usa

Date Reviewed: March 30, 2002

Strengths:    strong frame, judy xc, price, easy handling, predictable, respectable components

Weaknesses:    saddle

Bottom Line:
I have used this bike in a 17 mile beginner race here in n.m. and it did well. It handles better than more expensive hardtails and looks nicer(2000 Rebound). Sure the co. is going down, but the bike is so much better than its $500 price. It weighs about 24# and climbs great. The judy xc set to 80 or 100 is a comfortable ride that does not bother your confidence. I would recommend this bike to beginners as well as experienced riders who love the thrills of mtb.

Favorite Trail:   anywhere in new mexico

Purchased At:   twin sisters cycling