GT Palomar Bike 1998 or Older

3.72/5 (25 Reviews)

GT Palomar

Submitted by youknowmyname a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: May 13, 2014

Strengths:    indestructible frame & fork, rigid fork (yes, I consider that a pro)

Weaknesses:    pretty much everything else, especially the drive train

Bottom Line:
(Review applies to the old full-rigid GT with horizontal top bar)
Two hells of a frame. Before it got stolen, I have used up two cranksets, three sets of rear cogs, four sets of pedals, two rear axles (ok - these weren't so much worn out but simply broke), almost two front hubs and several spokes, not to mention rims there were easier replaced then straightened. I took it up 30° hills (an toppeled almost over backwards), I rushed down lanes at 30 mph; I crashed it several times, including ways that led to ambulance calls (I did not quite agree about needing one, but doctors are hard to argue); I had to loosen the seat post once with a 3 feet lever; it got its fair share of snow and salt; stood in the rain; had parts of its paint rubbed of by continous wear and in the end...
... it still was sturdy and straigt (and heavy), as on the first day, even the parts missing frame didn't have corrosion problems. Even the headset didn't show any signs of wear.

The original drive train and hubs made it easy though, to run down the first set of every component. Front hub lasted less then two years, rear cogs less then four. But if you get one today, these parts won't be original anyway - so go and grab the best 26" frame kit I know off. (Just like that a**hole did with mine :( )

Duration Product Used:   16 years

Submitted by jefwilli a Weekend Warrior from Garner, NC

Date Reviewed: October 31, 2008

Strengths:    Frame is SOLID. Good for a beginner to build on.

Weaknesses:    Components are what you'd expect from a sporting goods store bike. Seven speed drivetrain is outdated.

Bottom Line:
Great Bike to build up and build experience on. Good blank canvas to fill as experience and budget grow. It's a good bike for someone who's just starting out and isn't sure how much time or money they'll have to invest in the sport. Definitely great value frame to build on while still riding. Holds up well to short thrashings by this 200 pounder.

Purchased At:   Dick's Sporting Good

Kalloy Uno Seat Post
Panaracer Fire XC Pro

Submitted by That guy a Cross Country Rider from Maryland

Date Reviewed: August 28, 2008

Strengths:    Lightweight, handles great, strong, inexpensive

Weaknesses:    shifting is iffy but I have had the bike for about 6 years and have never gotten a tune up or attempted to tune it or oiled anything

Bottom Line:
I use this bike for mountain biking, road biking, and trail biking, i've taken 2ft drops with it and bombed steep rocky trails, I am also well over 200lbs, the bike has held up great and my only complaint is that it didnt grow with me and is now a size too small. I like the solid frame and it is easy to throw around. just ride far back if you are bombing hills and absorb with your knees.

I dont even remember what my parents paid for this bike. im not trying to say it is the best bike ever but for the money it is amazing

Favorite Trail:   Fire Roads

Purchased At:   lbs

Bike Setup:   stock, no front shock

Submitted by Mashooque Ali a Weekend Warrior from Karachi

Date Reviewed: June 6, 2008

Strengths:    Rigid frame & quick release shifter

Weaknesses:    Heavy and low end bars

Bottom Line:
Good for nothing!

Favorite Trail:   Offraod and Uphill

Purchased At:   Roadside seller for

Similar Products Used:   GT Tequesta

Submitted by steve green a Racer from england oxford

Date Reviewed: October 17, 2007

Strengths:    strong fram very well made the v shift gears very good and as light as a sheet of paper

Weaknesses:    very little

Bottom Line:
overall the bike is just brill i cant belive the price i got it for £10 $5 it needed some work but now it is like it came out of a show room

Favorite Trail:   long distance

Purchased At:   friend next door

Bike Setup:   this bike is the best set up bike i have evey owned

Submitted by Jack from Brisbane Australia

Date Reviewed: July 7, 2003

Strengths:    $265US, it cost me $530 in Australia - anyway it has a really strong frame and is light enough - brakes are great it's almost perfect for everything (providing you do everything pretty well)

Weaknesses:    gears are pretty cheap, and is prone to flipping ppl over the handlebars(or is that just me?)

Bottom Line:
Its a great bike for starters, and the frame is indestructible, it is useable for pretty much anything, but be careful if you want to jump with it, the wheels get *fudged* really easily. Plus it looks great - even when you have bald tyres, and no grips, else the git who stole it today wouldnt have. Also it could be a bit cheaper, cos now I need a new one...

Favorite Trail:   Bush-Bashin'

Purchased At:   Bike shop

Similar Products Used:   Specialized, Avanti and Raleigh - but I like this one best, It's why I bought it?

Bike Setup:   not modified

Submitted by Jordan a Cross Country Rider from Canada

Date Reviewed: May 5, 2003

Strengths:    Strong, fairly light, good brakes and gears.

Weaknesses:    Handle bars have a tendency to fall off. Wheel tend to warp with hard impacts. Short handle bar stem.

Bottom Line:
I use this bike for everything while at university. Getting groceries, going to campus, visiting people etc. Saskatoon can be a very snowly place, and only on one occasion was the snow so bad I couldn't bike.

The bike handled very well in the snow. The tire track actually grips ice better than my shoes. However, they did warp slightly after heavy impacts. The frame is still perfect though.

All the biking around, going over curbs and popping wheelies did take its toll. I have to fix the brakes, tighten the handle bars and adjust the gears every month or so.

Other than that this bike has performed extrememly well condidering the heavy use, harsh conditions and low price.

Favorite Trail:   City

Purchased At:   Bike Shop

Similar Products Used:   Various other bikes under

Bike Setup:   Unmodified

Submitted by big cliffs a Downhiller from lake forest, illinois, usa

Date Reviewed: March 26, 2003

Strengths:    frame is strong as hell, nice components, love the gears, cant scratch the paint, and frame is strong as hell.

Weaknesses:    not compadible with anything, front shox are soft

Bottom Line:
it is a really good bike. i loveits reliability, but i have destroyd the wheels from dropping big cliffs, and overshooting jups. but overall it is a great bike.

Favorite Trail:   all ravines in lake forest

Purchased At:   some place down the street

Bike Setup:   tricked out

Submitted by Denis Fraser a Cross Country Rider from Gatineau, Quebec, Canada

Date Reviewed: January 19, 2003

Strengths:    Undestructible frame, just won't die no matter what you throw at it. Excelent beginner bike. Good looking. Very good value for the price. Very reliable.

Weaknesses:    Frame is very heavy, but you can't destroy it because of this. Low end components. Stock fork has no adjustment.

Bottom Line:
Bought this bike new from my LBS in 1999 (from Sports Wrightville, now closed after more than 40 years of excelent service), it came with a front suspension that isn't adjustable and has only 63mm of travel (sigh!), added full lenght front/rear fenders (yes I know, my bike is butt ugly with the fenders, but no matter what the weather, I don't eat mud and water!) and I got a very cheap used 1998 Rock Shox Judy XC fork (that IS adjustable and great). I've been riding this heavy sucker ever since in the Gatineau Parc trails through alot of pretty rough terrain and mud and it still has to let me down. The only thing that broke on it are the brackets for the fenders??? (I blame bad/cheap design, but I made some new ones out of 304SS, I'm a machinist)

I tried to destroy the suspension and the frame, but after 4 years of abuse and almost no maintenance the bike still looks like new and performs like one. The only downfall of this bike is the weight and the low end components, but for the value and reliability it's great for a beginner/early novice bike or if you're on a tight budget like I was when I bough it.

Overall, I'm very satisfied with my purchase. If you don't mind the weight of the frame, up-grade the components and you'll have a very decent bike that can't be destroyed. If you want a light weight bike with better components and if you have the funds by all means, go with something else.

N.B. I based my overall rating with a beginner's point of view, but to someone who has experience with riding, it would be a 2 Flamin'Chilis. The value rating remains the same.

Favorite Trail:   Gatineau Parc

Purchased At:   250

Bike Setup:   Bought a stock 1999 GT Palomar with front suspension from my LBS. Now has a 1998 Rock Shox Judy XC fork, FSA Orbit XL II headset, Maxxis tires, 4mm tubes(can't remember the brand), full lenght front and rear fenders, V-brake and derailleur up-grades are comming soon... :-)

Submitted by Fatman a Weekend Warrior from Sydney,Australia

Date Reviewed: February 11, 2002

Strengths:    Great Beginners bike.Looks pretty good,at least it must have to the guy that stole mine!

Weaknesses:    Components aren't the best and it is bloody heavy but you only get what you pay for.

Bottom Line:
I bought this as my first bike and it didn't disappoint.In hindsight I would have gone for a better GT to start with but you have to learn the hard and expensive way.The frame was really strong and components are lineball with other bikes of this price range.If you think you might get into serious riding this machine is not worth the upgrades to do so.Accept it for what it is and you will be happy,it can take some serious punishment and will look after you but the components will let you down over time.It's a great value bike for beginners but obviously not a huge performer.

Favorite Trail:   Red Hill

Purchased At:   Cyclesport Thornleigh(where else?)

Similar Products Used:   Giants,other GTs,Cannondales,Avantis,Sintessi,Merida,Litespeed,I spend too much time at the local bike shop.

Bike Setup:   Stock for the first year and then replaced almost everything for better parts as my bike addiction grew.RST 381's ,Riser bars,stronger rims,suspension seatpost,threadless headset and spd's,V-Brakes.

Submitted by Sean a Weekend Warrior from Quesnel

Date Reviewed: June 23, 2001

Strengths:    strong frame

Weaknesses:    components, shox

Bottom Line:
more for beginer bikers. this bike has a strong frame but comes with crapy components. i have had this bike 2 years and by the first year my deraileur had bent into my spokes and my crank fell off. so if u do decide to buy this bike i advise u to buy new componens for it right away(like the day you buy it then have sombody put them on right away). im giving this bike a good rating for its price ONLY!!

Favorite Trail:   K1

Purchased At:   Starting Line

Bike Setup:   new shimano lx derialeur, tru-vativ crank,welgo platform pedals,amebia riser bars,and schwin saddle,sync shox(gotta get new ones bad)

Submitted by Pierce a Downhiller from Pittsburgh

Date Reviewed: June 8, 2001

Strengths:    STRONG FRAME...did anybody else say that already (hehe)? Great product for the money. Strong brakes.

Weaknesses:    Heavy...no front shocks.

Bottom Line:
I bought this bike when I was a freshman in college with very little money. Nevertheless, I was able to do what my friends did on their middle-end GTs with front shocks. I have been meaning to replace it with a higher-end GT but I feel guilty because the d@mn this will not die. I have fallen off it...easily 20 times and all but one time I would get up (bleeding) and continue riding. The one exception it screwd up my back wheel. But, for those looking for a good, startup bike, this thing is mean mother.

Favorite Trail:   Moraine State Park, PA

Similar Products Used:   Trek

Bike Setup:   Stock...don't want to replace anything because I am replacing it soon (d@mn thing does not die)

Submitted by Anne a Weekend Warrior from Santa Cruz, CA

Date Reviewed: April 2, 2001

Strengths:    Very strong and durable bike. I've got over 6000 miles on it so far (road and Mountain)!! The frame is STRONG!

Weaknesses:    Never really shifted properly, you sit kinda high up, and I've had some difficulty replacing parts especially the crankset. It seems like it's almost cheaper to just get a new bike than to replace worn-out parts on this one!

Bottom Line:
This is a GREAT bike for the price and a great bike for the beginner. I've actually worn the points off the gears, replaced the crankset and the cluster, and I'm still riding it!! The addition of shocks and a different shifting system make this a great bike for only $250!!!!

Favorite Trail:   Wilder Ranch Park