GT Karakoram Bike Bike 1998 or Older

4.49/5 (134 Reviews)

Ricochet

Submitted by Adam Thibeault

Date Reviewed: July 22, 2013

Strengths:    Awesome Shimano XT Deore shifters never out of whack, solid cro-moly steel frame but still light. cables are tuck under top frame bar to keep clean and rust free

Weaknesses:    brakes and rims are crappy, but easy to upgrade

Bottom Line:
I converted mine over for more street use with 26 x 2.125 cruiser tires, but can still perform great in grass or dirt quite well. Think mine is from 1994 or 98, but is better than most new bikes. I love it

Submitted by Paul Roberts

Date Reviewed: October 9, 2012

Strengths:    Excellent

Weaknesses:    Hi I have a 1994 karakorama in my garage I bought new,it's in excellent
Condition I would say,will never sell but curious as to what it is worth.

Bottom Line:
Can any please advise me

Submitted by Stephan

Date Reviewed: July 8, 2012

Strengths:    This bike just freekin' amazes me. Strong, rigid, durable. I ride this thing through Downtown Toronto streets on average 150 kms. a week, and I have done nothing to this thing other than replace pedals. Great blue/yellow paint, easily matched with Ford's blue for touch-ups!

Weaknesses:    Can't say anything bad about it.

Bottom Line:
So, I scooped this thing off Craigslist in the Spring- it's a 1997 Karakoram 01, had an original msrp of $1030.00 u.s. The guy I bought it from told me it was his wife's bike, she paid over $1200 (Cdn dollars) for it way back when, and rode it for a year before retiring it to their basement. I paid next to nothing for this thing, everything is completely original on this thing including the tyres- they are still showing 95% tread, NO dry-rot or cracking, and this thing is still riding absolutely perfect. It was well taken care of, and still is- I intend to keep thins thing for a long long time. It's going in for service in the next month.... only because of it's age- I'm just going to have it get a go-through for precautionary, give it some new cables and ride it forever! I'm 34 yrs. old, 6' tall and this thing is just a treat every time I get on it. Light enough it easily stores in a Toronto condo..... LOVE LOE LOVE this oldy but goody..... they did something right back in '97.... I bet if I got on a new one today I'd be disappointed!

Submitted by bikeheid a Cross Country Rider from scotland

Date Reviewed: December 3, 2010

Strengths:    well made
visual appeal
good power transfer to the rear wheel
great handling
smooth riding feel

Weaknesses:    at five and a quarter pounds for a 16" frame, not amongst the lightest steel frames around (by no means the heaviest either though)

Bottom Line:
won my gt karakoram frame on an ebay auction, and resprayed red, before applying new decals. It's a 1993 model with a grooved top tube, under which the rear brake cable runs. 27.0 seatpost. the gt logo stamped into the plate on the end of the top tube adds a tough of class. :)
the more I ride this frame the more I like it. I use it for commuting, a wee bit o' cross country and as a general get-around. I love the solid feel and sure footed handling. that certain springy feel that steel frame riders speak of is in evidence alright! :D
if you're in the market for a great steel frame you wouldn't go far wrong to add one of these older gems to your shortlist. Karakorams are fantastic frames!

Purchased At:   ebay (frame only)

Similar Products Used:   gt zaskar, raleigh m-trax taurus titanium, raleigh m-trax something or other, british eagle something or other with reynolds 531 main frame and hi-ten steel rear triangle. raleigh peak

Bike Setup:   kinesis maxlight ridid forks. 99lx v brakes and hubs. mavic xc 117 rims. xt rear deailleur, bb and crank arms. n17 trekking pro pedals. goldtech 34t chainring. sram 11-34t cassette and sram pc69 chain. panaracer razer xc tires. race face deus stem azonic single wall riser bars. use seatpost and shim. selle italia flite trans am saddle

Submitted by TFKDave a Weekend Warrior from Berkley, MI

Date Reviewed: October 10, 2009

Strengths:    Rock solid, very durable frame, handles well, great for loading up

Weaknesses:    Not many for its age

Bottom Line:
I bought a 1993 model in 1994 just after college and learned to mtn bike on it. It took a horrendous beating from me as I crashed down hills and over rock piles. In 2002, I attached a rack and took it on a 200 mile 4 day trip pulling a BOB trailer on dirt roads in U.P. of MI. I still use a BOB trailer with it periodically. 15 years after buying it, its still going strong. I now use it as a commuter bike. But it still jumps curbs, etc. easily and without any signs of quitting. Everything has been replaced on it, except the frame itself. The paint is incredibly chipped now and the dropouts are showing a lot of wear, which is why I've stopped riding single-track with it. But overall, you couldn't ask for a better value and stronger frame.

Favorite Trail:   Lakeshore Park or Pontiac Lake

Similar Products Used:   2007 Felt Q720

Bike Setup:   Shimano XT, Avid brakes

Submitted by El Gordo a Weekend Warrior from Picton,ON,Canada

Date Reviewed: April 6, 2009

Strengths:    Rock Solid, handles really well, responsive, fun to drive

Weaknesses:    can't buy it new anymore

Bottom Line:
Just moved from Europe to Canada, didn't want to buy a car when I came to Canada and decided to buy a cheap used bike for the beginning. Stumbled over the 91 Karakoram, test rode it and liked it instantly. Used it a lot since then. Bike didn't disappoint me, it's a great bike. Horseshoe brake is excellent, frame is rock solid and components are good quality. The plan was to buy a better bike as soon as I had progressed on the foodchain, but decided that I would only be disappointed. Gave it an overhaul last winter and am looking forward to riding it this summer. Had to change front rim last summer. Got new rear rim, cassette, seat and chainrings last winter.

Amazing, this old bike brought back the fun into biking for me. It's a classic.

Purchased At:   used

Similar Products Used:   2001 Giant Boulder SE, 1990 Marin Muirwoods

Bike Setup:   original Shimano Deore, CV-7 rims

Submitted by Shawn McDonald a Weekend Warrior from Littleton, CO, USA

Date Reviewed: November 3, 2008

Strengths:    ROCK SOLID! Cool looks (mine is "Purple Haze" color w/ white swirls in the paint), excellent fit, perfect balance.

Weaknesses:    Narrow back tire side clearance, threaded headset (a bit of play that's typical of this type), a bit on the heavy side

Bottom Line:
I've had this bike for 18 years. Got it in college, Spring '90, brand new and never looked back. There's no way I can part w/ this bike...the 1st thing I ever bought on a credit card and the best thing I've ever bought on a credit card. Stolen once, recovered, attempted stolen two more times. I've upgraded everything on the bike (except derailleurs) and put Rock Shock Magnesium Forks on the front and wrecked it and myself a TON of times over the years and the frame just doesn't quit. Did I mention I've had it for 18 YEARS! Looking forward to the next 18 year on my beast w/ two wheels! A classic for sure. The only inanimate object I can say I truly love. ;)

Favorite Trail:   Georgia Pass-Jefferson Loop

Purchased At:   Proteus Bicycles, Co

Similar Products Used:   Trek, Specialized

Bike Setup:   The only thing original on the bike is the frame itself and that's what this bike is all about...nothing beats the GT Cro-moly Triple Triangle frame when it comes to strength. I take that back, the front/rear derailleurs are original too...good old, all metal Shimano LX's as well as the MASSIVE Shimano Horseshoe rear brake (super solid and NEVER need adjusting). Rock Shox Magnesium fork, Cook Bro's crank, racing (forget the brand) 7 sprocket cassette and front sprockets, XT shifters, XT V front brakes, Cool Stop brake pads, upgraded pedals, fat comfy seat (pulled a groin...I need it!), new stem, Specialized X7 rims w/ Deore DX hubs, Earth Ends MTB bars (purple w/ swirled black...matches frame to a "T"!)...what else, what else. ;)

Submitted by Jason Curodeau a Weekend Warrior from San Bernardino

Date Reviewed: July 21, 2008

Strengths:    I love this bike. I bought it on sale in 96' I upgraded to front suspension for a moab trip in 97' and over the years went to v-brakes and carbon handlebars. I use it to play and commute. I have beat this bike senseless and cannot destroy it.

Weaknesses:    It's a bit on the heavy side but indestructable. I cannot bring myself to part with it.

Bottom Line:
I have ridden this bike in 15 states on all kinds of trails and city conditions it has served me well over the last 12 years.

Favorite Trail:   outback and beyond moab

Purchased At:   gregs greenlake cycl

Submitted by David a Weekend Warrior from Detroit, Michigan

Date Reviewed: December 28, 2007

Strengths:    Triple triangle.

Bottom Line:
Never thought that the first mountain bike I bought in high-school would still be carrying me down single-track 12 years later. I've made some upgrades to the components here and there, but all-in-all, this bike has taken everything I've thrown at it, and to be candid, I do not take good care of my things. A wee bit heavy, but overall a very solid bike.

Favorite Trail:   Pontiac Lake

Purchased At:   Scarlett's Schwinn, Pontiac MI

Bike Setup:   Frankensteined the drivetrain - mostly Shimano XT but also some LX and some stock replacement. Kore pedals. Answer Manitou FS Titanium suspension.

Submitted by Tim Shannon a Weekend Warrior from Reno, Nv.

Date Reviewed: March 12, 2006

Strengths:    My '92 karakoram has been a great bike, i'm a big guy and this bike has, except for a few replacements, stood up to time and i haven't really broken it.

Weaknesses:    The pedals that came on it broke shortly after my first ride, but the dealers upgraded them free of charge, and i've had no trouble since, the only other troubles have been that the paint faded alot ( I live in Nevada, everything fades) and i broke the rear derailuer in a crash.

Bottom Line:
Has proven to be a good, solid bike. even with no suspension, it has taken a lot of pounding and torque on the cranks and drive train, and has stood up to my abuse since '92. If you pay the extra for the mid to high end models, you should have few troubles.
I thought it was a little pricey when I bought it, But it has proven to be worth what I paid.

Favorite Trail:   tahoe flume trail

Purchased At:   great basin cycles

Similar Products Used:   I had a few lesser bikes before this and broke all of them.

Bike Setup:   Standard from the store, I did have mr. tuffy's put in because of the goatheads here, and well worth it. Deore l.x. rapid fire's still work great. and the megabites that came on it lasted forever.

Submitted by Tim Shannon a Weekend Warrior from Reno, Nv.

Date Reviewed: March 12, 2006

Favorite Trail:   tahoe flume trail

Purchased At:   great basin cycles

Submitted by Alex Ong a Cross Country Rider from Spring TX

Date Reviewed: December 30, 2005

Strengths:    Unbeatable frame - no flex or play at all.

Weaknesses:    Not much tire clearance in the rear, shoddy paint quality.

Bottom Line:
I found this bike at a pawn shop for $225, already equipped with new SPDs, a suspension seatpost (the expensive kind), and full Deore LX. The guy owned a bike shop as well and was trying to get rid of some "old bikes." His loss. Anyhow, that was maybe 5 years ago and this bike is absolutely unstoppable. Over the years I've had the opportunity to sample the ~$1000 hardtails from Cannondale, Trek, and Specialized, but I always ended up selling them and keeping the Karakoram. It's a steel frame but surprisingly lightweight (mine now weighs 24lb) and for that reason I've never been able to part with it. I've spent well over $1000 in parts for it (it had a Manitou SX-Ti 60mm but I swapped it out for a Terralogic Fox F80X) and I must say I don't regret a single penny. This frame family is a piece of GT history, it's a shame they no longer make a chromoly as strong and lightweight.

Purchased At:   pawn shop

Bike Setup:   Fox F80X, full Deore LX plus XT V-brakes, Easton flatboy pedals, suspension seatpost, WTB saddle, Kore steam/bar

Submitted by Tony Reidsma a Cross Country Rider from Holland, MI

Date Reviewed: November 28, 2005

Strengths:    Bought the frame on ebay in 2003. It was never assembled so it was brand new. Very tight frame, responsive and solid. Due to the triple triangle (I think).

Weaknesses:    Heavy. If you're a weekend rider you better get ready to suck it up. This frame is heavy, but it's worth it...

Bottom Line:
True classic. Noth'n beats chro-mo.

Favorite Trail:   Cannonsburg SGA

Bike Setup:   Manitou fork, LX comps.

Submitted by randy a Weekend Warrior from tillamook

Date Reviewed: October 31, 2005

Strengths:    Bombproof frame. The GT frame is very distinctive and cool looking, solid and dependable

Weaknesses:    If you do anything like cyclo cross it gets heavy to shoulder and pack uphill, but so does about anything

Bottom Line:
Im glad to stumble onto this forum. I bought my GT 01-04-1996 at Costco, great buy. Costco just wanted to get rid of them fast to make the GT dealers happy, anyway, I have ridden this bike for the last 9 yrs and have put many off road and road miles on it. It has been a great bike and very dependable and still looks good after a bath.
Sometimes I think Id like a new bike, jescuz. I have ridden full suspension bikes my friend owns and still like the hard tail for the climbing and handeling abiltiies. It can be wrestled around switchbacks and over roots and rocks and ready for more. The only thing Id like to change at this point is having disk breaks.

Favorite Trail:   single track

Purchased At:   Costco

Bike Setup:   LX rear derailer, upgraded front derailer to XT. Replaced the breaks to V style and added a Judy sl front shock

Submitted by ray ward a Cross Country Rider from barnsley, england

Date Reviewed: September 14, 2005

Strengths:    craftsmanship,tracking, steering, handling ability, stifness, acceleration, climbing and descending, predictability even jumping

Weaknesses:    a little weighty,not the most durable paint job in the world

Bottom Line:
I bought this bike in 1989 and took it to the chamonix valley in december of that year where it and I stayed for 6 years, this machine was the most dependable piece of kit i had it was the most awesome ride on the single track that fills cham valley and was a hoot on the big descents ( didn't even have front suspension!!!) I put rock shox on in '92 and they were a pile of crap was better off as a hardtail/front. I rode this in a grundig world cup event in the early 90's when the tour came to the valley coming in in the late 30's. I have not been able to replicate the ride and feel of this bike, like a fool I gave the frame away in 1998. it was one of the first frames with if i recall correctly japanese tange tubing handbuilt in the USA (maybe that was why it rode so well, you guys build the best handling frames in the world; Canadians come a close second)i know ride an orange sub 5 due to back problems but can still fell that steel steed between my thighs!!!!

Favorite Trail:   petit balcon circuit, chamonix valley

Purchased At:   harry hall manchester, england