GT Avalanche Bike 1998 or Older

4.67/5 (168 Reviews)

GT Avalanche Bike

Submitted by finmgr a Weekend Warrior from Vineland, NJ, USA

Date Reviewed: September 7, 2010

Strengths:    Gears shift smoothly/quickly, sturdy feel, shocks are decent, brakes are decent. Very comfortable riding position. Also, the paint finish and welds, were very nicely done.

Weaknesses:    Haven't found one yet

Bottom Line:
Very nice bike. I took it on some hard rides. The bike exceeded my expectations. No problems in the 3 months I had it so far. I would highly recommend this bike to someone looking in the $500-$600 price range.

Favorite Trail:   Gloucester County College

Purchased At:   Randy's Bike Shop

Similar Products Used:   Nishiki

Bike Setup:   2010 GT Avalanche 3.0

Submitted by deathshead a Cross Country Rider from Arcata, CA

Date Reviewed: July 15, 2009

Strengths:    bomb-proof old-school chrome-moly construction.

Weaknesses:    weight of the frame (see product strengths above). Not compatible with modern braking systems.

Bottom Line:
Pretty much wore and tore all of the original components, which have been replaced several times over. I think the only original parts still remaining are the frame, forks and seat post. Crashed it several times. It has been ridden on pavement, fire roads, mud and sand for nearly 20 years. I went bike shopping last month. Nothing rode as solid as the old Avalanche. Ended up buying new tires and drivetrain parts for her instead. Best bike ever.

Similar Products Used:   Diamond Back, Cannondale, Gary Fisher

Bike Setup:   1989 18" GT Avalanche

Submitted by mike orser a Cross Country Rider from kingston on canada

Date Reviewed: April 1, 2008

Strengths:    nothing has broke on it yet

Bottom Line:
it is the best bike i have ever had ive had a lot of good bikes but none that were this good i road it through the winter and it didnt faze it AT ALL she is the best bike ever

Favorite Trail:   N/A

Purchased At:   Wal-mart kingston

Similar Products Used:   dyno firce

Bike Setup:   GT Avalanche 3.0

Submitted by Mark Perkins a Racer from pa

Date Reviewed: January 8, 2008

Bottom Line:
Found a brand new 96 avalanche in basement when i started working at bike shop in 06. Made it mine, and love everything about it. exept no disc brake mount on the frame. but oh well, canti brakes are working just fine for me. performs as good as the newest 08 bikes from cannondale, fisher, ext. glad i found this old jem.

Purchased At:   tailwind bicycles

Submitted by Q a Cross Country Rider from Northern Virginia

Date Reviewed: October 13, 2007

Strengths:    Tough, workhorse of a frame; came w/ good mix of parts

Weaknesses:    Stock Kore Lite stem (single bolt clamp design) couldn't be used with risers; not made anymore...at least not like it was in the '90s

Bottom Line:
Ah, the good ol' days, when GTs were made in the U.S., came stock with good components, and the local shop wasn't a national chain. Oh well, this frame delivers, time and time again. I replaced almost everything on it due to wear and tear (including the derailleur hangar, and almost all the hardware), or just for want of something better (the flatbar only stem, rigid fork). Some of the old parts (or at least their brands) live on in upgrades -- folding VelociRaptors, Kore Elite stem, etc. The frame continues to this day, abeit with lots of scratches, scrapes, dings, and a few dents. Sometimes I really wish it was painted, and I guess it's kind of heavy, but if it was lighter would I still be riding it?

Purchased At:   a bike shop that went belly up

Submitted by Mike Edgerton a Cross Country Rider from Venezuela

Date Reviewed: May 15, 2007

Strengths:    Generally robust bike

Weaknesses:    Seat retaining bolt

Bottom Line:
Until this weekend, I cannot deny that I was very happy with my purchase.
However this sunday, while returning home after a gentle off road session, I was sitting upright on the seat peddling with one hand resting lightly on the handlebars when there was a loud sound followed by me being instantly deposited on the ground behind the bike resulting in a broken wrist. The bolt retaining the seat had sheared.
I would caution others to review this bolt since it is the only one retaining the seat.

Favorite Trail:   Local off-road

Similar Products Used:   N/A

Bike Setup:   Avalance 2.0 Disc

Submitted by Pablo Molinos a Racer from Miami, FL, US of A

Date Reviewed: October 5, 2006

Strengths:    The frame arrangement and stiffness.

Weaknesses:    None, nada, x-ney, negative.

Bottom Line:
This bike is probably the best performing bike I have ridden... and I have ridden many. I no longer race but since 1997 to 2001 it was my racing partner. I have placed 16 overall in NORBA Florida Ford series races and always used this frame... Spent lotsa mony on it and would do it all over again. THIS GT WAS MADE WHEN GT WAS GT. MADE IN THE USA. UNLIKE THE CURRENT FOEIGN MADE GTs WHICH SUCK AND ARE PURCHASED AT YOUR LOCAL SAMS CLUB....WHAT AN INSULT...

Favorite Trail:   Oleta, Markham, Quiet Waters

Purchased At:   Can't Remember

Similar Products Used:   Zaskar

Bike Setup:   Race face headset& seat post, all XTR components exept for rear brake, Crossmaxx w/1.95 IRC tubbed, wtb Ti seat, scott grips, teflon lined cables, 100mm dual-air race rockshox, (still ride the 8 Gear cog not the 9 gear XTR) but made of light metal. The only original thing in this bike is the frame.....I would not trade it for anything else short of another Avalanche frame...

Submitted by BigStonz from Swain,NY

Date Reviewed: January 3, 2003

Strengths:    I really learned to ride on this bike. Climbs great, take alot of abuse without blinking. I recently bought a K2 razorback (which I also love), but I still like to take take the Avalanche out and beat the crap out of it.

Weaknesses:    Mounts for disc brakes would be nice, but who expects that on a 1998(?) frame.

Bottom Line:
Indestructable all around hardtail. I was the 2nd owner (it was the LBS's owner's personal bike-who also beat the crap out of it) and in 3 years of hard climbing, tech downhilling, and biblical crashing the frame is as good as new. And to think I almost sold it to help pay for new bike...now IT'S NOT FOR SALE.

Favorite Trail:   Swain Ski Area trails

Similar Products Used:   K2 Razorback (similar??, 5x more expensive!!)

Bike Setup:   The original frame and whatever parts get handed down from the K2

Submitted by Ian Thomas a Weekend Warrior from Cambridge, UK

Date Reviewed: December 10, 2002

Strengths:    Strong frame, takes plenty of urban punishment without a whimper. Lasted me ten years, and the guy before me wasn't gentle, I don't think...

Weaknesses:    That said, broke a rear dropout a few years ago... difficult to upgrade single parts due to frame geometry, you end up replacing everything the dud part is connected to. Cheesy 1980's paint job.

Bottom Line:
This was my first real bike, and I remember going to the shop where it was being sold in my home town of Canberra almost every day. This was in '93 when mountain biking was just taking off in a big way, and my choices were this somwhat battered second hand GT Avo or a Diamond Back Ascent. I am thankful to this day that I chose the Avo. I discovered fairly quickly that I don't have the reflexes for MTB riding, a few expensive crashes taught me that! So I now have it set up as a commuter machine, or "bikepath basher", as the mechanic at my bike shop called it. Lots of nice high gears and skinny slicks and it really moves, despite being heavy and me making no concessions to saving weight

It's even followed me over in a bike box to England where I currently use it in bike friendly Cambridge, cycling 70+ miles a week commuting to and from work. I doubt I could have bought a bike of similar quality here for what I would have saved had I not brought it over. There's nothing at all wrong with the frame (as far as I know) save my broken dropout a few years ago. It will last as long as my bank balance can afford putting new componentry on it every few years. I like to compare it (favourably, of course) to the Millenium Falcon - it doesn't look very pretty, but I always shell out a little extra to get if not the best componentry then the second best, and it's capable of some pretty slick moves should I put my foot down

A little reminiscence there, perhaps, but my Avo has been a part of my life for the last ten years and I think you could expect the same sort of reliability that I have experienced since I bought it, should you invest in one of these superb GT frames. Okay, commuting was never what it was designed for, but if you don't want to stress over what dropping off gutters and going down stairs etc is doing to your frame, go for the GT brand

Favorite Trail:   Mt Majura, Canberra

Purchased At:   Londsdale St Cyclery, Canberra

Similar Products Used:   GT Pantera '97

Bike Setup:   1989 (yes,1989) CroMo frame, last of the fully Japanese GT frames, bought second hand in Aus in 1993 for $800. Came with Suntour stuff and a Girvin flexstem. The only stuff still on there other than the frame are the saddle and the bloody indestructible Mavic front rim. Now have a mix of XT and LX componentry, running Michelin WildGripper City and Hutchie Top Slicks. Fave bit are these huge brake levers, for the full hand. Very OTT. Mid range Shimano SPDs.

Submitted by Matt Bernazzoli a Downhiller from Shepherdstown,WV

Date Reviewed: May 24, 2002

Strengths:    BOMBPROOF frameset! I have tried to break this frame. I only was able to dent it once and that was coming off a large rock where the frame under all my weight actually hit and scraped across the rock!

Weaknesses:    a LITTLE heavy, I hate people that knock a frame like this and say it is oh so heavy, these people are just WEAK!

Bottom Line:
If you want to build a bombproof XC rig for a great price find one of the older Avalanche frames, they will not die.

Favorite Trail:   Ravens Rocks DROP

Purchased At:   Supergo

Similar Products Used:   GT Zaskar, Cannondale Killer V9000

Bike Setup:   Full XTR with 517 rims, Panaracer Fire XC 2.1's, Titec post, WTB seat, Easton bars. Very SWEET RIDE

Submitted by Sascha Richter a Racer from Bergheim - Good ol´ Germany

Date Reviewed: August 8, 2001

Strengths:    I own both Avalanches: In 1989 I got my first one made of TANGE Prestige-Steel, now I have the newest alloy-version, and BOTH are the best frames I ever saw and rode. Stiff and heavy, yes, but whatever you do (and I´ve done a lot), you will NEVER (!!!!!) brake the frame. There´s only one thing that´s better than owning a GT: Owning two GTs!

Weaknesses:    There aren´t any, except the weight. But be honest: Who cares?

Bottom Line:
If god was a biker - he proudly would ride to hell with his GT. Doesn´t GT stand for "God´s Touch"?

Favorite Trail:   everywhere

Similar Products Used:   Germany´s VOTEC-bikes are okay.

Bike Setup:   Not the newest, far from the lightest: Rock Shox, Magura Race-Line, Deore XT II - Shifter (yes, still the best), Onza Porcupine-tires in white, Onza barends, XT II - crankset, Flite Titanium etc.. Don´t use expensive but weak parts. Better stay heavy, these parts won´t brake.

Submitted by Chris a Racer from San Antonio

Date Reviewed: July 1, 2001

Strengths:    Bulletproof frame that handles like a jet fighter on the singletrack. I ride this thing through the worst rock gardens, haul ass down the downhills, and have crashed pretty damn hard. Other than a few dings, this frame looks as solid as ever after 5 (!) years of hardcore abuse. If you want to save money, buy yourself a cheap frame that breaks. If you want a rig to dust your friends with, buy an avalanche. It's worth it. Some people say this frame is a bit heavy. Considering how burly it is, this frame is light.

Weaknesses:    This frame is friggin addictive !!!!!!!!!!!

Bottom Line:
Don't be fooled by people who complain about this frame because they got burned on some components. Components brake, and they always will. This frame, however, LASTS.
It simply hauls ass and corners like a razor blade.
I'll never give this frame away.

Favorite Trail:   Flat Rock Ranch

Purchased At:   The Show

Bike Setup:   Cook Bros F cranks,Bontrager Mustang rims, XT drivetrain, Avid Archrival Brakes, CT2 post, Selle Flite Ti,
Weight: 24 pounds.

Submitted by Matt a Weekend Warrior from Asheville, NC

Date Reviewed: May 28, 2001

Bottom Line:
I purchased this bike 10 years ago for transportation and an occasional weekend trip. Aside from several new sets of tires and a bent up front derailer, I have never, EVER had problem one with this bike. I'm not sure how many '91 Avalanches there are out there, but I garantee that those that own them say the same thing. This is a phenomenal bike. I may not be the most aggressive trail hound, but I can attest to the longevity of the product. If I were to purchase another MB, there is no question it would be an Avalanche.

Bike Setup:   91' Gt Avalanche. All orginal equipment minus front derailer.

Submitted by Ian Black a Cross Country Rider from MA

Date Reviewed: March 3, 2001

Strengths:    the only main strenghts this bike has, is it is very light and good tires

Weaknesses:    the gearing system is very weak and breakes a lot. also the rims of the tires are very weak to and they bend a lot

Bottom Line:
this is not a very good bike to buy.
it is not made well and it breaks a lot

this is a good bike for the beginers because it is light and easy to lug around.

Submitted by Mapkinn a Weekend Warrior from Norway

Date Reviewed: August 13, 2000

Strengths:    Everything exept...

Weaknesses:    ...Kore handlebar!!

Bottom Line:
it is a very funny bike to play with!!

Favorite Trail:   aappe ved Tine