Giant Yukon SE Bike 1998 or Older

Giant Yukon SE

Submitted by Jason Rodgers a Weekend Warrior from Las Vegas

Date Reviewed: July 23, 2005

Strengths:    Unbreakable...I've taken this thing on some really rough 4x4 roads, some minor jumps (<2' of air), singletrack and it's held up to everything I've dished at it! The wheels have stayed trued and spokes tight. It's not that heavy, and it's comfortable around town.

Weaknesses:    Only the lowest gears have trouble shifting now, and the stock Suntour fork is shot!

Bottom Line:
I wouldn't pay more than $75 for an in-good-shape one, but for a beginner bike it's great!

Favorite Trail:   Inner-loop in Blue Diamond

Purchased At:   Bike World

Similar Products Used:   Mt. Cycle Moho STS

Bike Setup:   All stock

Submitted by Steve a Weekend Warrior from San Francisco

Date Reviewed: July 26, 2003

Strengths:    Frame...its a easy inexpensie upgrade for a beginner like me. Relatively light compared to similar products sold in 1998. Comfortable seat.

Weaknesses:    The Suntour cranks. Rear Shimano Alivio derailleur. Suntour SR forks seem a bit spongy.

Bottom Line:
I bought this biked very used from a second rate used bike shop. I gave my KHS to my gf so that we can both hit the trails, it was a smaller frame. I wasnt looking to spend much money so although it was pretty beat up I bought it. So I cant really say for sure how the bike would have peformed new. But in 2003 its going to be all used..so if ure buying used my thoughts are: At this age, all the major drive components need to be replaced. Mine has very few miles left. The forks, which are old so i cant really critize, but now they are way too spongy. I like it overall...it rides softer but stronger than the KHS full suspension. It will do until I (if) get serious.

Favorite Trail:   Oakland Hills

Purchased At:   Used bike store in Berkeley

Similar Products Used:   KHS Nomad

Bike Setup:   All stock I think except for some cheap rims that came with the bike.

Submitted by John a Weekend Warrior from Edgewood Maryland

Date Reviewed: June 26, 1999

Strengths:
Very light and strong frame. Suntour front shocks, excellent brakes.Velociraptor tires, and a very comfortable seat.

Weaknesses:
Crank set could be up-graded.

Bottom Line:
Probably the best entry level-serious mountain bike for the money. This bike wants to be tortured. Don't be fooled by impostures.

less than 1 month