Giant WARP DS1 Bike 1998 or Older

WARP DS1

Submitted by peter a Cross Country Rider from nguyen

Date Reviewed: May 16, 2005

Strengths:    Long travel rear suspension w/rebound adjust
Long travel Judy SL front fork w/ "U-Turn" on-the-fly travel adjust, pretty rare for this price range
smooth styling
Avid CPS mech disc brakes rule! being this smooth who needs messy hydro fluids...

Weaknesses:    A little too heavy but since I set up this bike to be a dual purpose XC/medium-duty DH for my 110lbs wife, I...uh..she can live with it
A bunch of Giant's in-house components

Bottom Line:
Best bang for the buck, can reliably take 5-6ft drops and keep on going...the long 5" travel rear end makes it suitable for medium-duty DH as well, especially robust for riders under 160lbs. An awesome choice(especially if you can find one on clearance for under $500) for anyone looking for their first full-suspension bike or those XC riders who'd like to ride lift a few times every summer but can't justify the cost of a dedicated DH rig...Happy trails!

Favorite Trail:   Mt. Tam

Purchased At:   Fleabay - Brand New '04 in the box

Similar Products Used:   Specialized FSR Comp, K2 Disco Monkey, Specialized BigHit Spec

Bike Setup:   Having paid only $380 for it brand new, I had more than a few bucks left to feed this upgrades monster...So far I've Upgraded derailleurs to XT, ditched the stock weak Alex ACE-18 wheels and noname hubs for a set of indestructible XT/Rhynolite w/ Michelin Hot S 2.5 tires, Specialized Sworks StrongArm2 Crankset with Truvativ BB, swapped stock forks for an '02 Marzocchi Dirt Jumper 1 (130mm travel)with QR20 I had lying around. Will upgrade stem/bar and rear shock next...

Submitted by LEE HOFFMAN a Weekend Warrior from PORTLAND OR U.S.A

Date Reviewed: April 14, 2005

Strengths:    IT has a great frame no problems.I like the style of this very large 20 in frame I have 2.5 motoraptors and stock Bomber shocks I have hayes discs 6 in

Weaknesses:    I have a hard time with weaknesses this bike takes a licking I am not a diamond rider and I don't huck so if it had any problems I say a little heavy

Bottom Line:
Great bike great in the turns ,alotta bike for the money GO GIANT I ve had a great experience with those guys in California keep it up "Dudes"

Favorite Trail:   Springwater

Purchased At:   Bike n hike

Bike Setup:   Stock

Submitted by Ben E a Racer from nova scotia

Date Reviewed: October 20, 2002

Strengths:    good components added like marzocchi z5 and many other things

Weaknesses:    i dont like the discovery rims very much

Bottom Line:
this bike is pretty good if you put some money into it

Favorite Trail:   no favorite

Purchased At:   hub cycle

Submitted by Robyn A a Downhiller from Nova Scotia

Date Reviewed: July 12, 2002

Strengths:    Bike is cheap, and easy to upgrade. It's light and fast. Easy to manipulate. It's nice to have a rebound adjustment on the rear shock.

Weaknesses:    The stock version sucks! You have to put money in it to make it worth it. Not the greatest for DH, espacially the stiff rear shock.

Bottom Line:
Overall this bike is pretty good for beginners, The price is good too, but have to keep a eye on the frame, i heard a lot of things about them braking. My overall rating would actually be a 3.5 but we dont have that choice. This bike has done me well, and i beat the SH** out of it, doing my biggest drop yet of 9ft, and my first no footer too. Have fun riding!

Purchased At:   Second hand

Similar Products Used:   Dunno?

Bike Setup:   Marzocchi Z5 w/5" , Deore deraileurs, Sun Mammoth rim on back, Weinmann Discovery rim on front. Axiom bars w/ Intense grips, IRC and Tioga tires, Radical DH seat w/Kevlar.

Submitted by Jordan a Weekend Warrior from Ottawa ontario Canada

Date Reviewed: September 3, 2001

Strengths:    good frame

Weaknesses:    sh!tty stock parts, a little heavy

Bottom Line:
Great for the price, but you need to replace the stock parts

Purchased At:   award cycles

Bike Setup:   rst zeta tl, rear shock off 2001 KHS fxt pro, aheadset, stx rear alivio front, alvio crank, XT BB, lx levers and brakes,
acera hubs/w ac 19 rims and an stx cassete, stx shifters, selle royal x country seat,

Submitted by Jason a Downhiller from Northern California

Date Reviewed: May 10, 2001

Strengths:    Grat Frame, and Shimano components. Everything is easily interchangable.

Weaknesses:    Lousy suspension, cockpit, and wheels. Pretty much all components except the Shimano parts.

Bottom Line:
A good solid bike when upgraded to the specifications of the individual rider. You are basically buying the frame, and the easy ability to upgrade without the use of professionals.

Favorite Trail:   Sky Mountain

Purchased At:   Natomas Bike Shop

Similar Products Used:   GT, Trek, Specialized, Giant XTC

Bike Setup:   '98 Warp DS1, Bomber Z.3 fork, Azonic cockpit, A headset, Titec saddle, buletproof platform petals, Mavic 318's, Fox Vanilla float rear, Shimano XT brakes/deraiollers and SRAM shifters.

Submitted by BRANDON WATTS a Weekend Warrior from RAYMOND WA USA

Date Reviewed: August 6, 2000

Strengths:    the frame
thats about it

Weaknesses:    pivots i had to repalece mine after a couple of months
the stock focks blow @$$ i got new on after3 months
frame after i broke it off a 6 foot drop

Bottom Line:
the frame is ok i broke it not to long ago that sucks
the pivot suck ass to repalce the every 6 months

Favorite Trail:   butte creek

Similar Products Used:   fsr
grayfisher joshua

Bike Setup:   ds1 frame stx and alvio judy dho with judy sl lower legs sun mammoth titec hellbent endros

Submitted by Greg a Racer from Ontario

Date Reviewed: July 26, 2000

Strengths:    frame durability, ability to cusomize and add

Weaknesses:    all the stock components on this thing suck

Bottom Line:
i have a 98 ds-1. if you want a good free ride bike for a decent price get this, but try to replace all the stock stuff on it. also replace the rear shock. its about the one thing i didn't upgrade and it broke and messed up my shock mounts. also giant customer service isn't the greatest thing around either.

Favorite Trail:   anythign on mont st anne

Bike Setup:   Rst 461 DH triple clamp 4"travel with upgraded stuff.

Submitted by Drew Hyde a Downhiller from canada

Date Reviewed: June 15, 2000

Strengths:    everything

Weaknesses:    its only weakness is the some of the stuff that comes with it when you buy it. it will make a craking noise in the frame from time to time but it is nothing to wory about

Bottom Line:
it was a good bike to buy to start then when you get beater sup it up that is what i did. i only paid $800 for mine but i live in canada so that is cheap. but what is really cheap is my friends trek 8500 it is the biggest pile of s**t i have ever seen.

Favorite Trail:   the trials i have in my back yard

Similar Products Used:   Trek 8000,6000,8500

Bike Setup:   rosk shox indy c with judy xc iners, crow bar race, vp 108, acera/xt, fire xc pro tires(which work great)

Submitted by John a weekend warrior from Philadelphia, PA

Date Reviewed: July 29, 1998

Bottom Line:

Just bought this awesome looking bike yesterday after 6 weeks of research and took it out for a try in an extreme course filled with sand, mud, rocks, trees, thorns, steep climbs, and loved every minute of it. This bike didn't let me down, it took every thing I thru at it and wanted more. For the money this bike has every thing I wanted- Aluminum frame, grip shifters, rock shox's, V-brakes, full suspension and damm good looks for only $559. Giant even has the life time warranty on the frame (for the original owner).
One ride and i'm loving it. Let's hope it holds up for the money. I'll keep you posted after a few more hard runs. I wish all the big name dealers would drop there over-priced bikes. Way to go Giant.

Submitted by Rod a cross-country rider from Salt Lake City, UT

Date Reviewed: April 26, 1998

Bottom Line:

A great bike for the money!!-especially with full suspension. I paid only $550 and it has great looks. I was surprised to see a full aluminum frame, a Rock Shox Indy S and adjustable damping in the rear shock for the money. The bike feels solidly built. The grip shift is okay. I would rather have rapidfires but again look at the price tag. The bike does well offroad. I haven't broken anything yet in the month I have had it. There is a lot of no-name pieces-i.e. the v-brakes, levers, etc., but they all work well. I would recommend this as a good beginners bike to full suspension and then upgrade as needed. This bike gets five chillies for the money.

Is a 1998 Giant Warp DS1 still worth anything?

My uncle has a 1998 Giant Warp DS1 that was orignally matte copper. He's since had it powder coated bright red with the rear swingarm powder coated gloss black. It also has some sort of Rock Shox Judy long travel (dual crown?) fork on it and some panaracer tires. Its in excellent condition. Hes thin ... Read More »

Can I put any brakes on my Giant Warp DS1?

I have a Warp DS1 that I haven't ridden in about 3 years and want to start riding again. The brakes are kinda messed up so I thought I'd buy a new (or second hand) set to put on. My question is: Can I buy any brakes and will they fit? I measured the brake discs, they are 160mm from outside to ... Read More »

Replace brakes on Giant DS1 Warp

My old mans had his ds1 warp forever....well, maybe just since 2001.... for some reason the rear brakes gave out, (hydraulic thing), took it to the only LBS in town who can get access to giant, asked for repairs, lbs said the brakes are too old, as itis a "vintage bike". I didnt know 2001 would b ... Read More »

`04 Giant Warp DS1, what upgrades?

I just picked up an `04 Warp DS1 for cheap. At least that's what the frame says. The rear derailleur is a 7 speed Shimano Acera and it has this seemingly crappy SR Suntour front fork. Tektro V-brakes. I can't imagine the crappy components that would be on the DS2 if the DS1 is equipped with an A ... Read More »

Warp DS1 '03 Jap model, what do u think?

I'm thinking about buying this bike, I live in Tokyo at the moment so selection in the 2nd hand market is severely limited. I have seen the reviews of the DS1 03 Warp, some people seem to think it's no good, and needs the front fork changed, but the japanese model has many different parts, I search ... Read More »