Giant Terrago Bike 1998 or Older

4.54/5 (13 Reviews)

Giant Terrago

Submitted by hadgi 1999 a Cross Country Rider from england

Date Reviewed: November 16, 2010

Strengths:    bombproof mtb,great fun,fast great of on up and down.

Weaknesses:    bb and headset

Bottom Line:
great bike hats off giant

Favorite Trail:   fowlmead kent

Purchased At:   chainreaction

Similar Products Used:   trek 4300

Bike Setup:   xt breaks bb headset rock shoc 318s deore external bb xt cassette orginal shifters deore front and rear drailliers

Submitted by BigChief123 a Cross Country Rider from Scotland

Date Reviewed: September 26, 2010

Strengths:    strong frame. great bike.

Weaknesses:    Its a bit heavy

Bottom Line:
great bike! very good fer leisure cross country. welp i got mine fer £300 dunno how much it is in dollars but i got £175 aff it. one question. why do americans call football soccer ? u use yer foot dont you. i dinnie ken why tho i appologize fer the scottish words ^^^

Favorite Trail:   Glentress

Purchased At:   Helensburgh Cycles

Bike Setup:   Sr Suntour forks (xcm V2) Shinamo deore shifters. Lizard skins!!! (chargers) an aw that

Submitted by Paolopinkbike a Downhiller from durham, UK

Date Reviewed: December 2, 2009

Strengths:    Good components, stiff/strong frame, good all round geometry, adjustability, price, half decent brakes.

Weaknesses:    forks (helluva flex and heavy), poor bottom bracket, crank play.

Bottom Line:
very happy with the overall quality, as per usual with giant, very good package for the price! more than happy! swapped this for a clapped out old bmx!

Favorite Trail:   hamsters, edmunbyers loop, farleton knott, walna scar

Purchased At:   pinkbike.com

Bike Setup:   as stock but with, avid juicy 5 (160mm) front brake, marzocchi xc600 forks, continental/kenda xc race tyres. (new wheelset next month)

Submitted by Malki a Cross Country Rider from UK

Date Reviewed: April 20, 2008

Strengths:    I have the Terrago Trail 2008. Just all round good. Best bike I have had. Factory shocks, brakes and wheels are superb and there is no need to upgrade.

Weaknesses:    Haven't found any yet.

Bottom Line:
If you like mixing between trail, road and downhill then I can see no better bike! Adapts well to all surfaces so will suit almost any rider!
A+++

Favorite Trail:   Aberdeenshire (kinord)

Submitted by Siegfried a Cross Country Rider from Geneva, Switzerland

Date Reviewed: July 10, 2005

Strengths:    This is an update to the first review. I've just changed the frame after it's survived 7 years of hard labour doing ANYTHING.
Bombproof
Excellent brakes (no need to bleed these hydros :D - they still work after 7 years!)
Good wheelset - I've never had to take a second look at the hubs in those many years. But I dented the rear rim taking a curb at too high speed with insufficiently inflated tires... oh well.

Weaknesses:    As mentioned before. (not many)

Bottom Line:
I've just upgraded my frame to something new. The old one is good, I just wanted some change. Got myself a freeride hardtail frame.
cheers to Giant for all the years of excellent service... i'll be remembering this one.

Similar Products Used:   Giant Granite

Submitted by Kyle a Cross Country Rider from Nottingham, England

Date Reviewed: October 21, 2003

Strengths:    Rock 'ard frame, solid components

Weaknesses:    Hmmmmmm this is a tough one

Bottom Line:
This review is actually about the '96 terrago but I thought it was worth writing as a credit to giant. This bike has worked its ass off non-stop for 7 years and all I've had to change are the brake pads, a tyre and a headset. No I am not joking. This thing has taken a serious beating and come back for more. It ain't a bad bike to ride either. It's responsive and pretty quick too. If the city got nuked this bike would be the only thing left over. Thanks giant.

Favorite Trail:   Jacobs ladder

Purchased At:   Olympic Cycles

Similar Products Used:   American Eagle Mammoth, Rocklobster tig team,

Bike Setup:   Stock but with alivio canti's

Submitted by graham howsam a Downhiller from england

Date Reviewed: August 26, 2003

Strengths:    deore, good forks, comftormbale seat,

Bottom Line:
very good

Purchased At:   Je James cycles

Submitted by Shalom Wulich a Cross Country Rider from Meitar, Israel

Date Reviewed: January 19, 2003

Strengths:    Magura HS11 !!!, rear LX derailleur, weight for 3 years ago, good Michelin tyres, great Rigida Rims, large frame.

Weaknesses:    Weight.

Bottom Line:
This bike has been with me for the last 3 year and with over 4000 km half of which with 20 kg of luggage on a saddle (Plus my 85 kg). The bike has seen real XC trails and never failed me. When bought my new XtC SE2 could't trade it in or sell it and kept it just because we've been together so long.

If you're about to make long rides its perfect for you (or daily trips to work like I make).
Will do fine on the XC trails although a bit heavy.
As I give it a little break after 3 years I can sum up the experience with it and say that if it is your first real MTB you will not be disapointed.

Favorite Trail:   Mount Hiran

Purchased At:   Lohman, Amsterdam

Similar Products Used:   Giant XtC SE2, Giant ATX..., Haro

Bike Setup:   Upgraded fork for A RST Gamma EL and replaced rear rim which cracked after 2 years.

Submitted by Chris Coles a Cross Country Rider from York, UK

Date Reviewed: November 9, 2002

Strengths:    Magura Hs11 brakes with boosters (better than V brakes and better pad life had to change rear pads after 7 months not 8 weeks)
Alux 6061 frame was light and good value
Good spec for price Lx rear mech, StxRc 8 speed shifters

Weaknesses:    chain broke within 3 months (caused by stress fracture)
Front mech
crank flex

Bottom Line:
Hey for the money it is far better than a Marin or a Trek. Who gives a stuff about the brand name. I've ridden it for 2 years off road (1 year off for foot and mouth) and have had no real problems or failures. This bike is a good starter for getting 'Off road'. Add a front shock and your away. Have now replaced it with a 2002 Gaint AC1 which again was superb value for the spec. (did not pay recomended retail for this one though)

Favorite Trail:   Cropton to Goathland via Fylingdales

Purchased At:   Local Gaint dealer

Similar Products Used:   Marin Bolinas Ridge
Trek 820 and next model up

Bike Setup:   Have put on clamp headset and stem, 2001 rockshox judy xc and replaced chain and saddle. Otherwise as it came.

Submitted by bladteth a Cross Country Rider from Lodz, Poland

Date Reviewed: June 10, 2000

Strengths:    + good quality frame (alu 6061 T6)
+ excellent brakes (Magura HS11 hydraulic)
+ wheelsets (Rigida rims, DT spokes, Michelin tires)
+ shifters (STX RC)

Weaknesses:    - crappy chain (Sachs PC20)
- weak cassette (Suntour PowerFlo)
- disposable front derailleur (Alivio)
- flexible crankset (Alivio)

Bottom Line:
This review is for Giant Terrago '98 (without Suntour fork). I can recommend it to every beginner in MTB but it will not disappoint even more demanding riders. The bike has a few weak points and if you want to buy it do not forget to ask the shop staff to replace the rubbishy chain with something better (at least Sachs PC51 or IG70). Next thing that I think needs replacing is front Alivio derailleur. It has a bad play from the beginning and it only get worse with time, worsen the shifting and causing very irritating noise. On the other hand, Terrago has strong points like good frame and hydraulic brake system. Hubs are quite interesting part of the bike. Although noname, they perform really well.

Terrago has a good price/performance ratio (I bought mine for about $400). Go for it !

Bike Setup:   Giant Terrago '98 (what did you expected ? ;-)

Submitted by max flavian a Weekend Warrior from antwerp

Date Reviewed: October 2, 1999

Strengths:
Very solid ride for a good price. Powerfull maguura hs11 brakes.fairly light.Nice control.Good riding position.

Weaknesses:
lx gears can 'clunk' a little, maybe thats just my setup

Bottom Line:
Im extremely pleased with the bike, furthermore I managed to buy cheap due to last years colours (I least I think it was a good buy £260) can anyone let me know if the price is OK??
Im going to give this 5 stars for the price I paid, I have ridden better bikes, my brother in law rides for peugot france (downhill), and I sometimes have a blast on his gear. Anyone going biking in france, try Millau, excellent possibilities for loads of outdoor sport ( Checkout the company ROC ET CANYON: excellent advice and gear)Cheers Max

less than 1 month

Specialized rockhopper sport.Marin pine mouantain.Decathalon

Submitted by James Marchant a Cross-Country Rider from Doncaster

Date Reviewed: August 5, 1999

Strengths:
Magura HS-11 brakes very powerful indeed, able to lock front wheel at high speeds on tarmac.

Weaknesses:
Have'nt found one yet

Bottom Line:
Excellant bike found most conditions

3 months

Gary Fisher Tassajara, Univega Alpina 550

LX rear derailleur, SR Suntour MG 80

Submitted by Siegfried a Weekend Warrior from Geneva, Switzerland

Date Reviewed: June 5, 1999

Strengths:
Good overall value for money, excellent brakes (Magura HS-11); nice transmission

Weaknesses:
Crankset (somewhat too flexible).

Bottom Line:
Excellent overall rating.
I'm gonna get a fork one of these days :)

1 Year

Giant Granite

Rear: LX
Front: Alivio (changed to XT)
STX RC Shifters.
Magura Hydraulic brakes

2010 Giant Team Terrago

Anybody know anything about this bike? I just bought it because I liked the Aluxx SL frame. Anybody know what other bikes this model competes with on the market with?Read More »

Putting Giant STP frame on Giant Terrago 2 disc?

Hi guys! I own a Giant Terrago 2 disc (2008). It's a great bike, but it's not suited for urban freeride stuff (in which I'm lately very interested). So I thought, is it possible to use a Giant STP frame with all other parts (or most of them) from Terrago 2 Disc? Thanks for help! :D (if I get any)Read More »

Terrago or what?

Newby here going to purchase my first new bike for 18 years, wanting a mid-range XC. Got my eye on a Giant Terrago. Does anyone have any other alternatives I should be looking at my budget is £400. Slightly worried about the forks on the Terrago, and would sacrifice the hydraulic breaks for cable di ... Read More »

Terrago or What?

Terrago or What?

HI, Newby here going to purchase my first new bike for 18 years, wanting a mid-range XC. Got my eye on a Giant Terrago. Does anyone have any other alternatives I should be looking at my budget is £400. Slightly worried about the forks on the Terrago, and would sacrifice the hydraulic breaks for cab ... Read More »