Giant Rincon Bike 1998 or Older

3.89/5 (9 Reviews)

Rincon

Submitted by cowboy charlie a Weekend Warrior from Johnston, SC

Date Reviewed: August 4, 2011

Strengths:    reliable, trouble-free, heavy duty

Weaknesses:    slightly heavy

Bottom Line:
Bought for heart health, rode a hilly area 10 miles, 3 times a week. Bought a farm, now am too busy for a regular exercise program, but I use the bike for herding cattle. Have only been challenged once by a 1200 pound cow, but now they are all used to it.

Purchased At:   pawn shop

Bike Setup:   stock

Submitted by Carl Muheim a Cross Country Rider from San Diego, California, USA

Date Reviewed: May 10, 2010

Strengths:    Solid Frame, great components

Weaknesses:    replace the seat and seat post, front shifter, crank(bends easily...I weigh 175)

Bottom Line:
Awesome, love this bike so much so that when they stole my 2008 rincon on campus (UCSD) I had to replace it with the same model. I really miss the frame style of the 2008's, but the bike is still awesome. Highly recommend this bike. strong frame and makes you want to stress it out! I'm just a trail rider and it covers all basis for me")

Favorite Trail:   Tecolote, Cuyamaca, Rose Canyon

Purchased At:   Bicycle warehouse

Similar Products Used:   2009 rincon

Bike Setup:   Stock except for seat and post

Submitted by Cracked Rib a Cross Country Rider from Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Date Reviewed: September 28, 2009

Strengths:    Strong chromoly frame (main triangle only) and fork. Double eyelets front and back for racks and fenders. 17" chainstays help avoid heel clip with rear panniers (but still possible depending on the rack). Good commuter and (possibly) touring bike.

Weaknesses:    Front shifter (Shimano 100GS) indexes badly: doesn't shift well from largest chainring to middle, need to jump to smallest and then back up to middle. Would have preferred a friction shifter. Front derailleur body needed some tweaking, but maybe that was just this copy. Rear index shifter & derailleur combo work very well though.

None of the frame tubes that are butted. Rear triangle is probably just hi-ten. Heavy bike, compared to what's available these days.

Bottom Line:
Good commuter bike, ok on light trails. Heavy (low 30's lbs) but feels sturdy. I've ordered SRAM MRX 3x7 shifters to replace the 100GS components. This is a beginner's mountain bike from the mid-90's that won't turn any heads these days, which is a good thing in the big city.

Favorite Trail:   Moore Park Ravine

Purchased At:   Second hand

Similar Products Used:   Aquila road bike. Apollo road bike.

Bike Setup:   Planet bike fenders, Evo pedals (heavy), toe clips, MEC rear pannier.

Submitted by Moegsien Schroeder a Weekend Warrior from Cape Town, South Africa

Date Reviewed: September 11, 2000

Strengths:    Strong Frame. Great for first timers. Good component combination for the price {$200}

Weaknesses:    A bit too heavy. 36 spoke wheels. Geometry too relaxed for aggressive riders

Bottom Line:
I bought this bike not knowing much about bikes. Then it was a great bike. Still is. I've upgraded the components over the years. The frame geometry has become too relaxed for me now. I still use it for a daily commute to school and back {4 miles total} and then for a 15 mile ride in the afternoons.

As others have already said, a great bike for beginners, but more experianced riders should go for the Giant ATX series. Overall a good bike and would definitely recommend it to anyone new to the sport.

Favorite Trail:   Tokai Forest

Bike Setup:   Rincon frame. RST281 fork. New 2000 acera shifters and crank. Otherwise standard.

Submitted by Steve from Massachusetts

Date Reviewed: June 30, 2000

Strengths:    The shocks are pretty good about 2 inches of travel and are just over beginner shocks. It has rapid Fire gear changers that dont take very long to switch the gears.

Weaknesses:    It has to be worn in and is better once you ride it awhile like most bikes.

Bottom Line:
the bottom line is it is a good sturdy bike with pretty good performence and it is a good city rider bike. Myself i live in a middle size city and it is good for road and grass and dirt

Similar Products Used:   the GT Saddleback

Bike Setup:   the bike setup is a good sturdy frame but the fork is welded onto the handle bars so it ytou cant change forks but you wouldnt need to.

Submitted by Billy Dickinson a Weekend Warrior from Guthrie, Oklahoma

Date Reviewed: June 17, 2000

Strengths:    good price good frame

Weaknesses:    brakes suck (upgrade to something anything is a improvement)

Bottom Line:
I bought this bike about a month ago at the local bike shop he gave me a killer deal on it $175 it was like new I put a rack and bags on it and shocks and i have yet to subject it to any real torture but ive rode it at least 10 miles a day and put over 100 miles on it and it hasn't done too bad its fast and will climb about anything. Its a good bike for entry level riders.

Favorite Trail:   12 miles of hell & arcadia

Similar Products Used:   1995 Schwinn sierra se team

Bike Setup:   all stock with cateye mity 3 speedometer,stirrups, rst 280 forks (regrease with slick honey other wise they wil lock up)

Submitted by Dave Hilkemann a Weekend Warrior from Billings, MT, USA

Date Reviewed: April 12, 2000

Strengths:    Very inexpensive. I bought mine at a pawn shop for $175, and upgraded from there. Just a basic reliable bike.

Weaknesses:    A little heavy.

Bottom Line:
I really like my bike. Of course there are better bikes out there, but not for the price I paid. It works great for riding to work, and it also does a great job flying down a mountain single track. I'm completely happy with it. This is a great bike for anyone who doesn't have much spare change, but wants to hit the trails hard.

Favorite Trail:   Mount Helena Ridge Trail

Bike Setup:   I bought the basic, no frills bike. I added a Judy DH suspension fork, a threadless headset, and Diacomp brakes.

Submitted by Andy T a Racer from dd

Date Reviewed: January 5, 2000

Strengths:
Good bike for first timer

Weaknesses:
it will break if you ride it like I did.

Bottom Line:
I bought this for just an around-town bike in the summer of '98 for a job I got in colorado. My boss was a mountain biker so I thought I should get a bike with shocks which is why i picked this one (i knew nothing about bikes back then). Well after a lot of abuse this bike has finally died basically. It lasted nicely for about 6 months, I just ride too hard. I still keep it around w/some of my old parts from my nice bike now. I now ride a $3,500 ibis and couldn't be happier. Go buy this if you are VERY new to the sport and dont expect to ride every day.

2 Years