Giant MCM1 Bike Bike 1998 or Older

4.44/5 (16 Reviews)

Giant MCM1 Bike

Submitted by james from uk

Date Reviewed: March 8, 2002

Strengths:    weight, feel, cable routing

Weaknesses:    chainsuck plate broke and i never got a replacement out of giant uk. now waiting for chain suck to destroy chainstay as steel eats carbon for breakfast

Bottom Line:
feels really light, maneouverable and exotic. could be cos i have a "small" (16inch?) frame size and i am 174cm tall. like riding a bmx filed with helium. better ride control on technical stuff than the kona. funny bb set up pushes your weight fwds a bit, but this heightens the racey feel. in comparison to the paragon, the frame has a compliant feel, taking the sting out of the bumps and giving a slight whip to your pedalling. on the climbs, cant say that i notice a considerable difference in stiffness.

look at how many people ride this at the national champs to get an idea of how good it is. i want the new one.

Similar Products Used:   kona cindercone (classic db steel), GF paragon (world champ alu frame)

Bike Setup:   xt, syncros, azonic etc 22lbs/10kg easily. 1.9" tyres

Submitted by Howard Veit a weekend warrior from Atlanta

Date Reviewed: December 20, 1998

Bottom Line:

This mountain bike is a real head turner. I get stopped and asked about it everytime I hit the road. The bike rides beautifully. My only complaints can be addressed by component changes. It came with a RockShoks Judy SL, which I am about to change for Marzoochi Z1 Bomber -- RS can't touch Marzoochi. The turned up bars are great. I am concerned that the rear shock is in a bad position when I hit the rough stuff. The framis is great, if a little on the heavy side. Overall, I like the bike very much.

Submitted by Robert a cross-country rider from Los Angeles

Date Reviewed: October 6, 1998

Bottom Line:

I have had my MCM frame since March and grow to love it more with each ride.
At first I found it a bit harsh in the rear ( I just came off a Ti bike).
But the more I ride it the more I appreciate the fit and the handling. The
frame I have is a '97 and may not be the lightest,(although the '99 will be
one of the lightest frames in the world!)I really dig the ride!

Submitted by mr putter a weekend warrior from australia

Date Reviewed: June 23, 1998

Bottom Line:

ok 'daniel preston' you retarded slack-jawed yokel, don't go slagging people off when you can't even spell yourself. Bongo i fell so sorry for you. Because you are so dumb. What a stooge. It's funny when you actually make yourself look stupid when you're trying to do the opposite.
what a stooge - who the hell uses that anymore? didn't that go out in the 80's?

Submitted by Daniel Preston a cross-country rider from USA

Date Reviewed: June 4, 1998

Bottom Line:

The Person Who Wrote that pice of bull shit about this bike is such a dumbass! Its a cross country bike not a downhill bike. If you had half of a brain you would no that. This bike rocks on the trails in the woods or racing CROSS COUNTRY. Bongo i fell so sorry for you. Because you are so dumb. What a stooge.

Submitted by sadasdasdfadfsd from Sweden

Date Reviewed: May 16, 1998

Bottom Line:

hey you idiot that says that this bike is bad for downhilling.... you stupid piece of shit! this is a XC-bike, remember? idiots like you should take the bus...This bike performs relly great in steep climbs and I just want to thank all you guys at Giant for making such a great bike. I´m gonna have this bike for a LONG time...

Submitted by Scott a cross-country rider from Boston

Date Reviewed: May 8, 1998

Bottom Line:

Giant MCM-1 Frame
Great bike!! I bought the frame only, and spec'd it myself. Coming from an aluminum frame, all I can say is what a difference.Shock absorbtion is really good with the MCM-1. Stutter-style bumps are absorbed easily, and bombing downhill is a breeze. The frame seems to guide itself!On technical singletrack, the MCM-1 is dependable. I ride in New England, where roots and rock are everywhere, and this bike can take it all. From super-rolling tight hills to exposed root fields, I have no problems at all.Power transfer is a little less than an aluminum frame, but its still not bad. I think I lose a little bit of oomph on sprints.Climbing is good with the MCM-1 as well. I think the key is to maintain good riding form/technique with a carbon frame. If you think you can hammer up a hill, you'll be dissapointed. BUT, if you distribute your weight well, you can fly uphill.Right now, my bike weighs exactly 23.5 pounds. I think I can lose about a pound more with some effort (lose the rock ring, go to XTR brakes and derailleurs), but its plenty light enough for me. If youre looking for a solid bike that can handle a variety of terrain, check out the MCM-1.

Submitted by Pete Bourgault a cross-country rider from Sherbrooke, Quebec

Date Reviewed: March 31, 1998

Bottom Line:

I've just bought it. I've put Race Face crank and Syncros rings. Very very good bike. It's a little bit heavy but it climbs very well and it is amazing on downhill. It's a little bit expensive but i had a great deal.The construction is amazing too and it's very stiff. GREAT BIKE!

Submitted by andrew r davis a racer from wi usa

Date Reviewed: February 11, 1998

Bottom Line:

i work for a large bike company in milwaukee wisconsin. i have been racing giant bikes for three years now. just resently i took it upon myself to buy a new bike. i had always raced their aluminum frames. but nothing the had that was new really turned me on. so after talking with reps from different companys i decided on a factory homegrown xtr. the shwinn rep happened to call in sick the day that i was to make this purchase. the same day ryan the giant rep came in to the store. long story shot he wanted to keep me on a giant and pulled from his car a mcm team frame. needless to say i got a bit excited, i had never riddin carbon so i asked to use it for a month. thank god i did it was buy far the best $300.00 dollars i had spent in a long time.(working for a bike shop does have its perks) mine is decked out with full xtr, the manitou sx ti front fork, a hayes disk brake on the front, with a xtr v-brake in the rear, full bontrager race light stem, seat post, bar ends, and an emborderd san maroco team saddel. one bad ass bike my friends.

Submitted by Ola Linder a cross-country rider from Sweden

Date Reviewed: December 19, 1997

Bottom Line:

This bike is the bike I dream of. I cant afford it (I´m only 16), but I have taken a test-drive on it. I climbs like nothing else, and the XT-parts works like always like a dream... If you have the money, BUY ONE!!!!! (If you have money for two, buy ME one!)

Submitted by jon a cross-country rider from England

Date Reviewed: August 28, 1997

Bottom Line:

on singletrack this bike just comes alive,a vastly underestimated piece of kit,
fast and responsive all round.

Submitted by Daniel H. a cross-country rider from England

Date Reviewed: August 9, 1997

Bottom Line:

Nah... not so good. Very heavy, very dull ride, not so attractive design and graphics. The good point is that its price. 2 hot dog for em only

Submitted by jack wallen a cross-country rider from usa

Date Reviewed: July 13, 1997

Bottom Line:

i have to say that my mcm-1 is certainly the best bike i've ridden.
i was amazed right off that the geometry fit me perfectly and, concidering
my small size, the light package was amazing! the bike is nimble and easy
to handle, responsive and agile. what really amazes me is what little
exposer the bike has had.if you ever get a chance...plant your butt on a giant mcm-1. you'll not
regret it!

Submitted by Brett Aurand a cross-country rider from Avondale, PA

Date Reviewed: May 16, 1997

Bottom Line:

A local bike shop in WIlmington, DE named Dunbar's volunteered to have me test ride the MCM 990. I put in about 8 miles of mostly singletrack on this bike. The bike was quite nimble and responsive in handling. I know that the bike is much heavier than my current bike, however the way the weight is distributed across the frame makes it seem lighter than it really is. For a dual suspension, this bike climbed like mad, but the really benefit was on the rough downhills. The control and prescision on the downhills was just amazing. Of course everything in the Shimano XT component set worked great as did the two Rock Shok suspensions. I also thought the San Marco seat was quite good. This didn't rate a 5 with me only because of the price - $3000 retail. If you have the bucks though, go get it!

Submitted by wyatt sulgrave a racer from maryland

Date Reviewed: March 1, 1997

Bottom Line:

i was intending to write a more complete and thoughtful review extolling the
praise i have for the mcm-1,but after reading the negative comment from
'jeremy',i felt it was necessary to jump right in and say that every one is
entitled to their opinion.this is not a superlight frame(about 25-26lbs total
bike).it is tremendously stiff which makes it a GREAT climber,yet is very
forgiving of shock.i previously raced a fat chance yo eddy which is very fine,
but the mcm-1 is better in ALL categories.1)forward power transfer 2)overall speed 3) comfort 4)stability at speed 5)ability to hop.the all XT parts are
great of course.the only overly heavy part is the tioga saddle.save a quarter pound and swap it for a sdp or wtb or flite.the tioga psycho tires must be swapped out also.they greatly hinder control at speed.the lifetime warranty
will also be a comfort to those of us who know of the masses of those who
have trek oclv's that have failed as trek tried to figure out how to build
the world's lighest production bike.maybe jeremy should ride it again,but
in any case you the reader should be open minded.my race times improved
immediately,it is fun to ride and just felt right from the first time.the
shock absorbtion is uncanny!five stars,five stars,five stars!