Giant mcm 980 Bike 1998 or Older

4.4/5 (10 Reviews)

Giant mcm 980

Submitted by niven a Weekend Warrior from wa

Date Reviewed: September 28, 2009

Strengths:    Handling

Weaknesses:    Original components - low end

Bottom Line:
I upgraded this bike to an all XTR, high end shocks and rims - weighs in at less than 24 lbs. The bike is not only super light it looks and rides awesome. Frame only original component remaining. however, frame fantastic and this bike is well worth the upgrade money.I have no trouble getting up and down some pretty technical trails. This is a rare bike and in perfect condition. If u can find one it is worth the effort.

Favorite Trail:   local trails

2004 Rock Shox Uturn shock
Frame Angles: 70.9 head, 73.4 seat
Frame Construction: TIG-welded/bonded
Frame Tubing Material: carbon fiber composite/aluminum
Geometry - Chainstay Length: 16.9"; Fork Rake: 1.6": Top Tube Length: 23.4"; Wheelbase: 42.8"

Submitted by xc guy a Cross Country Rider from Telluride, CO

Date Reviewed: March 16, 2009

Strengths:    climbs & carves really well. Awesome on the single track. great looks!

Bottom Line:
I would grab one NOW! Hard to fine!

Submitted by niv a Cross Country Rider from wa

Date Reviewed: April 12, 2004

Strengths:    looks and handling

Weaknesses:    cost to upgrade

Bottom Line:
I upgraded this bike to an all XTR, high end shocks and rims, resu;ying in the smoothest, most physicaly economical bike that I have ever ridden. It turns heads and even those who know about bikes appreciate the componentry. This bike has now become my favorite and of course now it weighs in at less than 24 lbs

Purchased At:   aus

2004 Rock Shox race
2004 Rock Shox Uturn shock

Submitted by Dave Kim a Cross Country Rider from Covina, CA USA

Date Reviewed: February 19, 2004

Strengths:    Carbon Fiber Main Frame. Does not bob like other full suspension bikes while sprinting hard. Very rigid frame. AWESOME LOOKS. FAST if you have the muscle. Real head turner eventhough the bike is 7 years old. Very rare with a one of a kind look considered somewhat exotic.

Weaknesses:    Weights 29LBS, Very Pricey and out of reach for many mountain bikers, the dilemma of the strength and durability of a Carbon Fiber Frame. No disc brake mounts. Costly to upgrade to disc brakes.

Bottom Line:
The first time I saw this bike through the display glass window, I considered it to be one of the most awesome looking bikes I ever saw. I have always been a fan of Giant Bicycles so when the opportunity to purchase the MCM 980 brand new way below the market cost came up, I couldn't resist. The bike is real head turner that always gets attention even from non cyclist. The frame has a unique design that has a very exotic look. The bike is a excellent climber and it is also fast. I clocked myself doing 42MPH down a paved road once. The rear suspension design is very well engineered. While sprinting as fast as I can, the rear does not bob at all when you tighten up the stock Rock Shox shock. However like other people who own this bike, I had the same dilemma whether to upgrade or sell the bike. With a retail of $3000, I felt the bike came with some cheaper components that you would not expect on such a expensive bike. Mainly the LX componentry. Many bike manufactures do not produce carbon fiber frames anymore. Their popularity has gone down quite a bit in my opinion. It makes me wonder why? Some say Carbon frames are fragile, but my bike has been running strong for 7 years now and no damage what so ever. Some say Carbon Fiber bikes last 2-3 years. Well mine is still going strong. I decided to keep it and upgrade the components and mainly disc brake upgrades. I believe the bike is very rare so if you can find one for about $800-$1000 these days, it a real good find. I recommend this bike for Cross Country riders and Weekend Warriors. Does well on paved roads also. For ski slope downhiller, I recommend disc brake upgrades because V-Brakes just can't cut it.

Purchased At:   Local Giant Dealer 7 years ago NEW.

Similar Products Used:   GIANT ATX980, GIANT Carbon Fiber Hardtail, GT LTS-2, CANNONDALE with Suspension head shock.

Bike Setup:   SRAM Gripshift X-Ray, Shimano XT front and rear derailleurs, Shimano LX hubs and Crank, MAVIC 220 Rims. V-Brakes. All stock equipment.

Submitted by niv a Weekend Warrior from wa

Date Reviewed: January 30, 2004

Strengths:    a real head turner and so comfortable to ride

Weaknesses:    needs an upgrade to XTR componentry and rim upgrades

Bottom Line:
trouble with a bike like this is the frame is so awesome you find your self in the dilemma of do I upgrade, sell or what. It is truly the coolest bike I have seen. I have thouhgt about selling it and even had a light speed unicoi for a while but the mcm 980 turned more heads was more comfortable but not as quick because of the weight differences between the two. I wonder what the difference would be if I upgraded the Giant componentry to that of the Litespeed. Hmm

Purchased At:   local bike shop

Similar Products Used:   litespeed

Bike Setup:   full suspension

Submitted by Mario a Cross Country Rider from Magog, QC, Canada

Date Reviewed: February 15, 2003

Strengths:    It looks BEAUTIFUL...
It rides better than it looks !!!
Fantastic handling, climbs quickly, soaks up small bumps easily but does not bob. Excellent!!!
Great carbon frame. Stong strong strong!!!

Weaknesses:    Not super light... but it doesnt matter. RS rear shock.

Bottom Line:
It handles like a dream, climbs like it's attached to a hot air balloon and bombs downhill with speed and precision. The only downside is that they are very difficult to come by these days with only a few frames still available. Anyone who is serious about riding XC quickly, wants a dualie and can find a frame should buy one now!!! This thing makes all kinds of terrain managable. The suspension can be adjusted all over the place, but it has never felt unstable or in any way out of control for me. Very tight, very predictable, very smooth.

Favorite Trail:   Coaticook

Price Paid:    $2000.00

Bike Setup:   Xt/Lx derailleur, Maruga HS33 brake. RS Judy xc (front) and RS coupe deluxe (rear)

Submitted by Trevor a Downhiller from Canada

Date Reviewed: March 13, 2001

Strengths:    The bike is super stiff and strong
Turns heads all the time

Weaknesses:    stand over could be better
cables in frame
no rear disc mounts

Bottom Line:
For a heavy bike(32)give or take,their are few bikes that can match it.
The bike can handle what ever you throw at it
I would never sell the frame and can't see myself
buying another bike any time soon

Favorite Trail:   baseline mtn.

Purchased At:   here and there

Similar Products Used:   mainly gt hard tails

Bike Setup:   dho shock 20mm axle,formula hydr.disc,easton bar,race face
bb and cranks and panaracers frt and rear

Submitted by royce a Cross Country Rider from south dak

Date Reviewed: January 29, 2001

Strengths:    sexy carbon looks

Weaknesses:    heavy,no disc mounts on the frame

Bottom Line:
I love this bike.I havent experienced any frame failure.plenty of usable travel and not much bob.i did switch over to shimano xt and xtr components,ad i am very glad i did.If you have never experienced an xtr shift you must.I never knew they would be so precise.If you run across one of these bikes used and for sale I would recomend buying it.If you want to quizz me on it before buyig you can e mail me as I am certain I will still own it.Anyways,the bike flies down singletrack like a scalded cat.The cross country geometry coupled with the light stiff carbon frame make it awesome in technical sections.It isnt the lightest bike on the market(28 lbs from factory) but it is built heavy enough to take a freeride hit.

Favorite Trail:   centenial

Purchased At:   pedal and paddle pierre,sd

Similar Products Used:   hoo koo e koo,c dale raven,c dale super v 900

Bike Setup:   i have swapped around parts til i came up with these,and i think i will keep it like this.xtr hubs and rear der,xt bb shifter/brake combos brake arms front der and cranks,easton ct2 carbon bar and post,kore lite stem,fizik nisene saddle,RS judy sl and coupe deluxe

Submitted by Royce a Cross Country Rider from onida,sd

Date Reviewed: June 11, 2000

Strengths:    cool frame and carbon looks

Weaknesses:    a little heavy to start

Bottom Line:
this is a cool bike to start out but is to heavy,I got it for 1000 bucks(I work at a shop) and have added @ 1500 bucks wholesale worth of light weight goodies to it.It now weighs under 25 lbs,but it wasnt cheep.If you want a reallycool looking bike and dont mind 28 lbs than get it ,but if you want it lighter be prepaired to pay through the nose!

Favorite Trail:   centenial

Similar Products Used:   gari fischer hoo koo e koo

Bike Setup:   at 28 lbs Ive been adding lighter comps like ti spokes,mythos 395g slicks,king hubs,air cartridges,fox vanilla float rear shock,easton ct 2 bar and post,wtb ti saddle,and speedplay frog ti peddles,xtr ti cogs

Submitted by jgjgh a Cross-Country Rider from hgjhgjhg

Date Reviewed: March 31, 1999

Strengths:
gjghjghj

Weaknesses:
hgjhgj

Bottom Line:
hgjhhgjhgjgjhgjhgThis is the bike I own and it is ing awesome for a 14 year old to own! It also is my first mountain bike. I love it and you should all love it too!

hgjhgjgh