Giant Iguana Bike Bike 1998 or Older

4.34/5 (99 Reviews)

Giant Iguana 650

Submitted by kickitup a Weekend Warrior from Silver Spring, MD, USA

Date Reviewed: April 25, 2010

Strengths:    I've had my Giant Iguana for 17 years now. 93 Model. Full Cro Moly, Shimano Altus A20 crank, rapid-fire shifters, brakes, rear derailleur, Shimano C20 front derailleur. Great bike. A bit heavy, but it stays on the ground and gets me on down the mountain. The Cro Moly fork and frame seems to know what to do with the bumps and not bounce Iguana around. I've ridden the mountain bikes with the pogo stick front fork and all but the most expensive ones do nothing for me. My heavy old Iguana rides better and safer than them all. I don't ride the roughest trails but I've put this bike through enough to be impressed with how well it has held up. Other than tires, a new chain, pads, cleaning, tuneup, etc. nothing has gone wrong with my Iguana.

Weaknesses:    Weight.

Bottom Line:
This was a well made machine. I wish Mountain Bikes were still made like this one. I don't mind a little more style, but the gimmicky designs and features nowdays do nothing for me.

Purchased At:   New, at a Giant auth

Similar Products Used:   Owned a Raleigh Mountain Bike of similar design years ago but did not like it.

Bike Setup:   Stock except for Control Tech bar ends, and Zefal toe clips and straps.

Submitted by spspinella a Cross Country Rider from Taichung, TAIWAN

Date Reviewed: January 25, 2010

Strengths:    Strong CrMo frame, durable components

Weaknesses:    heavy, brakes failed within 10 years, minimal shock

Bottom Line:
I have to agree with all the other reviews. This bike has just kept going with very little maintenance for very many kilometers. It is heavy and now it's old, but my wife is very loyal, so when the neighbor wanted to sell the same model she was delighted to get another. I have to rate its overall rating low because it's now a very old, heavy bike. But she still outclimbs me. I think she should eat more.

Favorite Trail:   Taiping loop

Purchased At:   neighbor

Similar Products Used:   This is our second Giant Iguana 950 (1996). We have many other bikes

Bike Setup:   27 speed alivio equivalent (shimano), center pull brakes, heavy wheels

Submitted by DK a Cross Country Rider from Woodinville, WA, USA

Date Reviewed: June 30, 2009

Strengths:    Everything is amazing, its lightweight, durable, and gotta love the disk brakes, i have had this bike for like 6 years and have not had to change the brake pads yet.

Bottom Line:
All around amazing, i would recomend this bike to the greenest rider all the way up to the pro's.

Favorite Trail:   Hoke Ka Doto, Fort Ive

Purchased At:   REI i think

Similar Products Used:   I have ridden other giants, I think the rincon or something

Submitted by deputydog a Weekend Warrior from Niles IL USA

Date Reviewed: June 21, 2008

Bottom Line:
great bike for the buck!

Favorite Trail:   forest trails

Purchased At:   garage sale deal

Submitted by Benjo Carpio a Cross Country Rider from Philippines

Date Reviewed: May 8, 2003

Strengths:    Bike is light and user friendly. Easy to handle

Weaknesses:    I need to get a seat post w/ shox.

Bottom Line:
Very, very, very, very, very, very good bike for beginners like me.

Favorite Trail:   Woodlands w/ some downhills. Pagudpud was 1st

Purchased At:   Extreme Bike Shop Timog

Similar Products Used:   My 1st MTB

Bike Setup:   2003 Giant Iguana with Disc Brakes. frame Supersized ALUXX butted aluminum, integrated gusset, XTC geometry, Disc brake mount
fork RST gila, 3.1" travel
derailleur Front: Shimano Alivio, Rear: Shimano Deore
derailleurshifters Shimano EF-29, 8-speed
cranks Giant, 22/32/44T
pedals Steel
handlebar Alloy 1.25" riser
stem Giant 1 1/8 Ahead
headset Integrated Ahead 1 1/8"
levers Shimano v-brakes
cassette SRAM 5.0, 11-34T, 8-speed
spokes Stainless Steel 14G

Submitted by Lukasz a Weekend Warrior from Connecticut

Date Reviewed: November 2, 2002

Strengths:    The bike is a dream for the money i paid. Came with hayes disk brakes (mechanical) which work like a charm. It comes with good components for the money. It looks totaly hot. And it rides like a way more expensive bike.

Weaknesses:    Shock is way to soft for my weight. If you weight over 170 lb you should consider upgrading your shock or atleast the springs. Springs run for around $80. And new shock will cost you about additional 250. So keep that in mind if you considering bying this bike.

Bottom Line:
The bike is just perfect. It's worth every red cent that i paid for it. It's afartoble and very relaible. Shock is too soft but it won't cost you too much to fix that problem. You won't have to spend a lot of money in order to get a very good bike. You should defenitly get this bike.

Purchased At:   E-BAY

Similar Products Used:   First giant. First bike of this class.

fork Manitou Six Sport, 3.1" travel
derailleur Front: Shimano Alivio, Rear: Shimano Deore
derailleurshifters Shimano EF-29, 8-speed
cranks Giant, 22/32/44T
pedals Steel w/ resin body, toe clips and straps
handlebar Alloy 1.25" riser
stem Giant 1 1/8 Ahead
headset Integrated Ahead 1 1/8"
levers Shimano EF-29
spokes Stainless Steel 14G
additional Chainguard

Submitted by Ryan B a Racer from St.Louis Missouri USA

Date Reviewed: October 20, 2002

Strengths:    Well, I got this bike in '95 from a pawn shop...it's a '91 model I think. I put Rock Shox Indy S on the front a little after I got it. This bike rocks! Stable, easy to ride, durable, you can ride it hard and it comes out fine. Best bike I've ever owned(I'm 16 BTW).

Weaknesses:    Mostly my fault, from not being moved the seat post fused with the frame, my dad tried to get it unstuck, and it's really stuck in there and won't come out for nothing...the top of the seat post was weak and just broke off by me just trying to turn the seat, so it's unrideable :( Also had an intermitten gear slam(like it missed a tooth but the gears are fine), and the chain broke off and almost hit someone's car...

Bottom Line:
An awsome bike in every way. After 7 years of use, the only reason it's not rideable is my fault. It goes through everything in stride. Try going to some pawn shops and pick one of these up like I did. I suggest this bike for advanced cycleing kids that can ride it hard but yet know what they are doing.

Favorite Trail:   everywhere

Purchased At:   a pawn shop back in 1995

Similar Products Used:   Roadmaster Razor's Edge, junk, total junk.

Bike Setup:   1991 Iguana 21 speed, Rock Shox Indy S, rapid fire shifters, Trek speedometer, Shimano everything, black with the gold marks.

Submitted by Brian Peterson a Cross Country Rider from Duluth, MN

Date Reviewed: August 9, 2002

Strengths:    Love all the components!

Bottom Line:
This is one awsome bike. I have owned and used this bike daily for almost 10 years. I have never had to replace any components. I tune the bike up every spring and have had no problems with anything. This bike shifts very well under power. No compaints about anything!

Similar Products Used:   Diamond Back Mountain Bikes.

Bike Setup:   Stock except for toe strap pedals.

Submitted by J. P. a Downhiller from Cranbrook, BC, Canada

Date Reviewed: April 4, 2002

Strengths:    Handle bars are good, tires are good

Weaknesses:    Seat, forks are O.K, pedles

Bottom Line:
this is a pretty good bike, it is used for dh, small drops/jumps, ladders, and basic free rideing. I recomend this bike to any free rider looking for a bike to go any where and not off big ramps. don't buy this bike if you are really extreme.

Favorite Trail:   Anything thats fun

Purchased At:   Kimberly ski hill

Similar Products Used:   nothing

Bike Setup:   every thing is stock but the pedles are oddosey platform

Submitted by bad stitch a Weekend Warrior from toowoomba

Date Reviewed: October 5, 2001

Strengths:    Strong as, good components

Weaknesses:    shocks bottom out on some dropoffs, seat post sucks

Bottom Line:
Great strong bike u can give a bashing and won't break. if u can get a set of shocks with more travel.

Favorite Trail:   canyon

Purchased At:   bellstreet cycles

Bike Setup:   38 cm seatpost thinner seat,"better for downhill", widder pedals the ones u get are to small and your feet slip off them in downhill.

Submitted by J.C. Kester a Weekend Warrior from Grand Junction CO. USA

Date Reviewed: June 2, 2000

Strengths:    Excellent brakes, handles great, very durable, had it for 5 years, nothing ever broken, tires store setup- 2 flats since I've had it.

Weaknesses:    kinda heavy, no shocks, grip shift.

Bottom Line:
Been a great bike ever since I've had it, I am just now getting new stuff for it, don't want to buy another, they don't make em like they used to.

Favorite Trail:   Dirt Hills

Similar Products Used:   Giant Awesome

Bike Setup:   store, comfortable seat

Submitted by Joe L. a Cross Country Rider from Indy

Date Reviewed: April 14, 2000

Strengths:    Strong frame, nice forgiving ride, the STX and alivio parts actually hold up pretty well to a 240 Clydesdale.

Weaknesses:    HEAVY!!!

Bottom Line:
This is one tough bike!!! I bought it in Feb. of 97 for $435 and have gotten MORE than my $$$ worth. I'm 240lb and it has held up to everything i've put it through. The deraileurs work surprisingly well and the cromoly is pretty forgiving.
I now use it mainly for neighborhood rides with my wife and 2 kids; it's retired from hard riding. But, if I decided to take it out again, it would be there for me.
A lot of people rag on the Wienman 519 rims but they have been nothing but good to me. I just finally needed some suspension so I bought a Paragon, but will always love and respect my Giant.
The only negative is it's HEAVY!!! I didn't think it was until I got my new bike. But, if you can climb on a heavy bike, you can really climb on a light bike.

Favorite Trail:   Gnaw Bone

Similar Products Used:   Gary Fisher Paragon (current off-road ride)

Bike Setup:   '96 Giant Iguana 650
stock except Shimano 545 clipless pedals, Conti Double Fighter tires, LX V-brakes, Serfas RX saddle, Avenir bar ends.

Submitted by shawn a Cross Country Rider from winnipeg,canada

Date Reviewed: April 5, 2000

Strengths:    very stable,maneuverable,quick.

Weaknesses:    heavy,stock parts are o.k.

Bottom Line:
To be honest with you,this bike is the 1990 model, so the stock parts were pretty much worn out. I just put 500.00(canadian eh!)into this beast. And I do mean beast because this thing has got to weigh 30 pounds. Overall tho,this apretty good bike for the buck. 100.00

Favorite Trail:   assinniboine