Giant ATX850 Bike 1998 or Older

4.25/5 (16 Reviews)

Giant ATX850

Submitted by Richard Everitt a Cross Country Rider from UK

Date Reviewed: April 26, 2007

Strengths:    Light frame, easy to throw around

Weaknesses:    brakes and stock tread

Bottom Line:
Having owned this bike now for 5 years its a wonderful piece of work. Having a small build I opted for a undersized 14" frame. I have taken it down many hard trails, and DH where it was not really suited but did the job! some good 2m drops with no bad outcome.

The brakes are bad and only lasted a short while, then upgraded to some hope minis which are perfect for the frame.

If you can still get hold of this bike as stock clearance anywhere I would advise it.

Here's to another 5 years service and many more happy miles

Favorite Trail:   Gary Fisher, Cannok chase

Submitted by G B a Cross Country Rider from netherlands

Date Reviewed: January 7, 2004

Strengths:    * good fork (i think)
* Nice strong frame
* Good gear set
* Hardtail! (beat softtail losers)

Weaknesses:    * bar ends suck (but replace isnt expensive)
* chain rusts quick
* dont like the michelin tires

Bottom Line:
Good bike, especially for people who dont want to spend more then 400-600 dollars/euro's. If this is you first bike: just buy it and make sure you don't pay more then 500-600 dollars.

Purchased At:   second hand

Bike Setup:   check giant site: www.giantbicycles.com

Submitted by Andy Loescher from Albuquerque, NM, USA

Date Reviewed: December 4, 2000

Strengths:    STIFF LIGHT FRAME. SRAM 7.0 SHIFTERS.

Weaknesses:    MANY PROBLEMS WITH THE DISC BRAKES.

Bottom Line:
FOR THE MONEY THIS BIKE KICKSASS. I HAVE RIDEN IN SOME (YOU KNOW WHAT I WANT TO SAT BUT THIS SITE HAS THAT DAMN PROFANINTY SOFTWARE) THAT OTHER BIKES HAVE FALLEN SHORT ON BUT THIS BIKE JUST TRUCKS ON.
BOUGHT THE BIKE ONE YEAR AGO AND HAVE RODE THE PISS OUT OF IT. FOR THE FIRST FEW MONTHS I HAD SOME PROBLEMS WITH THE DISC BRAKES. SOME STRANGE GREASE WAS FORMING ON THE DISC AND PAD AND IT MADE THE REAR DISC ALMOST USELESS. TOOK IT IN AND GOT NEW PADS AND THE DISC DEGREASED AND THE PROBLEM DID NOT GO AWAY. AFTER THE PADS WERE WORN ABOUT A QUATER THE WAY DOWN IT FIXED IT SELF. HAVE HAD A FEW MINOR PROBLEMS WITH THE SHIFTERS. THINKING ABOUT AN UPGRADE TO 9.0'S. ADJUSTABLE FRONT SHOCK IS NICE.
ALL IN ALL ITS A GREAT BIKE FOR THE POOR MAN. RIDES NICE AND THE COMPONENTS WILL STAND ONE HELL OF A BEATING. ALL THOUGH ITS NOT TUFF ENOUGH TO TAKE REALLY LARGE DROPS.
VULVA

Favorite Trail:   ALL

Purchased At:   THIS LITTLE BIKE SHOP IN GERMANY

Similar Products Used:   MONGOOSE, CANONDALE

Bike Setup:   SRAM 7.0 SHIFT SET, SR SUN TOUR 81 SHOCK, MICHELIN TIRES, STOCK SEAT POST AND CRANK.

Submitted by Stephan a Cross-Country Rider from Ridderkerk

Date Reviewed: September 8, 1999

Strengths:
Lightness, Stiffness,
Rear deore LX, shifters,

Weaknesses:
diacompe brakes, rear cassette sprockets, chain. RST suspension.

Bottom Line:
After my first real mountainride I cracked the wheels and the chain. But after replacing the wheels by Mavic Crosslink and a new chain and sprockets this bike is very good. Especially the geometry of the frame. It's very light so therefore suitable for climing.
If you change the tyres for some wider ones, the bike feels like ferrari on the road.

Schoorl (Holland)

1 Year

Raleigh magnum (very old!)

Mavic crosslink, IRC Mythos slick, XT cassette sprockets and Sachs chain, Fizik Nisene

Submitted by Bob Smith a Weekend Warrior from Glasgow, Scotland, U.K

Date Reviewed: May 17, 1999

Strengths:
The ATX 840 has a good
alu frame and handles well.

Weaknesses:
Mine came with matt red paint which looked good at first but falls off easily. Crank bearings also failed after 2 trips.

Bottom Line:
Not a bad bike, but I now wish I had gone for a Specialised or a different Giant bike with a proper paint job and decent shocks. - dealer (Dales in Glasgow, U.K) fitted crap crank bearings that failed.

Kielder Forest

Giant Alu Lite
Marin Pallsides Trail
Specialised Rock hopper

Changed tyres to off road mud tyres as ones supplied were half road/ half off road - strange for a mountain bike!

Submitted by Ray a Weekend Warrior from Singapore

Date Reviewed: April 27, 1999

Strengths:
Light & stiff. Good welding.

Bottom Line:
The difference from my previous Diamondback was immediate. Geometry was great and the stiff frame trnsfer all my energy on my pedal. Weight 24lbs.

Diamondback Wildwood

Shimano LK with Rock shox Mag 21.

Submitted by Rupert Smith a Cross-Country Rider from Bath, GB

Date Reviewed: April 22, 1999

Strengths:
Nice aluminium frame
paint job
Wheels
drive train

Weaknesses:
RST381r Fork
Dia Compe Brakes

Bottom Line:
This is an excellent bike for the money and I'm very pleased with it. Got it in an end of year sale. The main let down is the fork which is very
stiff, especially for someone as light as me. The
brakes don't look like they'll last as long as shimanos... and they don't quite have the same vicious bite!

3 months

Submitted by Rudie Hellewegen a Cross-Country Rider from Rotterdam

Date Reviewed: April 4, 1999

Strengths:
Shifting

Weaknesses:
Suspension

Bottom Line:
It's a great bike Good looking also He's shifting very fast with shimano Deore LX only the shocks are in the beginning very strong Iv'e bought the bike for $550 But im very happy whit it

The laagse bergse bos

6 months

Submitted by Matthew Friend a cross-country rider from USA

Date Reviewed: January 18, 1999

Bottom Line:

GIANT ATX 830I got this bike back in 1996. It cost me about $450 with acera x componenets and a cheap entry no name fork. I upgraded to a 98 INdy XC all LX components with grip shift shifters, and now I love the bike. It has taken me through so much I could never get rid of it. It has survived getting hit by a car, all my crashes while biking, even several races where I totally wiped out. Thanks GIANT!!! I love this bike.l;

Submitted by Martin Thomason a cross-country rider from London UK

Date Reviewed: October 14, 1998

Bottom Line:

I got a 98 atx850, yellow with matching RST381Rs at the front. So far not changed anything on it, it works fantastic as it is. Probably the only thing I will change is to stick some SPuDs on it. It handles perfectly. My average time over a six mile ride has dropped by nearly 4 minutes thanks to its lightness and responsiveness. Everyone who has seen it reckon it should have been over 700 UKP but in fact it was 400. Great bike!

Submitted by Shaun Bond a cross-country rider from Shediac, New Brunswick

Date Reviewed: June 17, 1998

Bottom Line:

The Giant ATX840 is also sold in Canada (not just Asia and Australia as Jon (below) points out). I bought a '98 840RG (Chameleon Blue in colour, very sharp as it changes colours depending on how the light hits it) and upgraded it with an Indy C fork and LX v-brakes. It's a great bike for anyone who is new to the sport. So far, I've been really pleased with the handling and the components.

Submitted by Jon a cross-country rider from Hong Kong

Date Reviewed: June 17, 1998

Bottom Line:

This isn't about the ATX850, yet the ATX840 which is only available in Australia, NZ and Asia. I bought this bike for a real steal, it was only 330 US (3980 Hong Kong dollars) it came with Indy C's and they work like a dream. I've been everywhere with it, this bike is a monster! The only complaint is the seat.. after 7 hours of riding i had one major butt ache!!!!! hehe, the bike fits perfectly (17 inch) for me as i'm 6ft and 173 pounds and the frame is great. Anyways, don't bother buying expensive GT's or Treks as this outperforms them, and it's so much cheaper!

Submitted by Redmer a cross-country rider from Amersfoort, Holland

Date Reviewed: June 1, 1998

Bottom Line:

After replacing rear hub with LX and new cables on shifters, bike went like new (even better) until 29-5 some ass stole it !!!!!! So if anyone should suddenly see his neighbour on a used 97 atx 850 with rigida silver dp22 rear rim, tektro V-brakes and black tubes around the 3 cables on the upper tube, mail me please.
Next bike will be Gaint again, this time a ATX 870 with RST mozo pro susp. still 4 chili's.

Submitted by Paul Bergers a cross-country rider from Netherlands

Date Reviewed: April 6, 1998

Bottom Line:

I have bought my red ATX850 in august 1997. It was OK until I used it for my holidays in France. The salt water eventually destroyed all anything except my frame and steer. After a complete tune up (RST Mozo Pro front suspension, Shimano XT Rear and XTR front derailleur, AP pedals and a pair of brake boosters) nobody could stop me! It looks great, but expensive. I love my ATX although for the same money I could have had a Cannondale or a Gary Fisher.

Submitted by Redmer a cross-country rider from Holland

Date Reviewed: March 19, 1998

Bottom Line:

Bougt this bike beginning '97, red one without front suspesion. Looking good and going strong but replaced some things. Last read did a beach race and destroyed my crank bearings by going through the salt water up to my knees. Had it replaced by a better one and also new chain + casette, but thats normal. Crashed into a fence at 50 km/h and the bike still ok but real rim was completely destroyed. Replaced by a mavic, looks a lot better and is too. Recently put on a pair of wellgo clipless ledals and new tektro V-brakes and that's a real good upgrade. Still very pleased with the bike and STX-RC group still OK. The new 850 must be even better with FS and V-brakes mounted at only a 100 Dfl. more. Great value for money !!