Giant ATX780 Bike Bike 1998 or Older

4.38/5 (29 Reviews)

Giant ATX780

Submitted by Greg Wilson a Weekend Warrior from Portland, Oregon

Date Reviewed: May 18, 2008

Strengths:    Strong frame
Great stock components
Price

Weaknesses:    Not the lightest mountain bike I've ridden

Bottom Line:
Great bang for your buck.
Good on fairly rough stuff

Submitted by Brian Quinn from New Port Richey , FL

Date Reviewed: February 3, 2007

Strengths:    This is about a Giant ATX 760. Everything about this bike is wonderful. I've had no problems with any components after buying it at a thrift store for $20.00. Yes that's right $20.00!! It was a retired gem that was used a lot it looked like with two flat tires and a little rust on the handle bars chain and sprockets I took her home.

Weaknesses:    none I have come across yet, could use some upgraded brakes though, old cantilevers on now

Bottom Line:
Great bike and deal that I will probably never come across again in my life. I just wish Florida had better riding to really test my little baby. Cant wait to upgrade my little 760 I have it all apart right now to repaint and upgrade it.

Favorite Trail:   Powerlines Gainesville, FL

Purchased At:   Thrift store

Bike Setup:   Gyrin suspension neck. Shimano Deore LX Crank and shifters. Specialized sprockets. Araya rims. These components all came on the bike the way it sat at the thrift store.

Submitted by XCer a Cross Country Rider from GSO, NC

Date Reviewed: January 23, 2007

Strengths:    tough frame, lightweight for steel, great handling characteristics

Weaknesses:    old tech components compared to my 2006 Trek Fuel 70 (but 12 year difference, go figure!)

Bottom Line:
this review is of a 1994 Giant ATX-760 which I bought used for a friend of mine for $50. it is a great frame and it is a really solid performer. the brakes are terrible and are going to be upgraded soon to some much nicer V-brakes. I do mostly cross-country riding and this bike is quick, nimble, and sure-footed. I'm looking forward to upgrading this beauty with all parts!!

Favorite Trail:   Country Park, Owl's Roost

Purchased At:   Higgins Cycle Shop

Similar Products Used:   older Trek rigid frames

Bike Setup:   stock except for a new cassette, chain, and tires from bike shop

Submitted by Martin a Cross Country Rider from London

Date Reviewed: April 14, 2006

Strengths:    steel, great ride, light, looks great (well at least I think so)

Weaknesses:    forks with 1 inch steerer are hard to find these days, no where on the frame to nicely route cable for the rear v brake (the frame orginally had cantis)

Bottom Line:
This is a bike that feels great to ride and it's steel so it is going to last. In fact I am about to strip this bike and add some new components and then give it as a gift (I can't bear to see it sitting doing nothing these days.)

Purchased At:   Canberra, Australia

Similar Products Used:   orange p7

Bike Setup:   pretty much stock. I put Rock Shox Jett t2 on after the orginals were stolen and ungraded to v brakes

Submitted by Scott Mac a Weekend Warrior from Perth, Western Australia

Date Reviewed: October 11, 2004

Strengths:    Frame is Rock Solid and Superbly Responsive!

Weaknesses:    Poor Shimano (Altus) gear in Australia - bits kept working loose - maybe the gear, probably the assembly in store!

Bottom Line:
The fact that a (several, in fact) review is still being written about this bike over ten years after it was introduced is testament to it's longevity...

This bike absolutely rocks! I've now almost completely kitted it out with XTR and it fairly hums! A set of road wheels with 1" slicks means it turns into a 'roady' through the week and a set of nobblies makes it a crusty on the weekends!

Does both jobs extremely well. I'm not giving this bike up for anything on the market today!

Purchased At:   TBE

Similar Products Used:   Wheeler's - Repco's - GT's

Bike Setup:   Almost complete XTR now...

Submitted by troy a Cross Country Rider from Perth Western Australia

Date Reviewed: July 19, 2004

Strengths:    Good frame, and quality bike never had any troubles with the bike except for cogg wear, but you get that.

Weaknesses:    The seatpost

Bottom Line:
This bike is a incredible ride for it's price, never had any probems would recommend this bike to anyone who wants a qualtiy bike thats cheap and wont break

Favorite Trail:   dwellingup

Purchased At:   Blazing saddles

Similar Products Used:   Trek 4400

Bike Setup:   LX components,Duore, Standard shockies

Submitted by Mike a Racer from Woodberry Forest, VA

Date Reviewed: May 15, 2003

Strengths:    Lasted this long and still fun to ride. This bike has furthered my enjoyment of the sport and it has been with me on rides in CA, CO, NC, PA, NY, VT, ME, and VA.

Weaknesses:    Once I had a Judy XC on it that was terrible.

Bottom Line:
This bike has been a lot of fun for a number of years. The best upgrade I made was on the front fork when I purchased a manitou x-vert super. Just about everything except for the shifters and brake hardware have been replaced because of wearing out after a lot of use. I hope to be riding for another thirty years (into my sixties) and I'm not planning on being in the woods so I can keep up with the lastest technology. I'll be out there to enjoy the single track and the woods and open spaces that go along with it. Having a sweet, reliable rig is nice (I'm about to receive the blur I ordered a while back) but don't forget to forget about the bike your on and just ride.

Purchased At:   Mainly Bikes

Similar Products Used:   other bikes

Bike Setup:   XT/LX components

Submitted by Henry Rodarte a Cross Country Rider from Santa Fe, NM

Date Reviewed: August 19, 2002

Strengths:    Strong frame, very precise in corners.

Weaknesses:    A little on the heavy side

Bottom Line:
I bought this bike in Jan '90, rode rigid for 5 years before installing a Rockshox Ti then a Halson. Have been extremely pleased since day one. Have riden all over Southern California. From Whittier (Turnbull Canyon),Carbon Canyon Regional Park,Santa Ana Mountains,Big Bear,Mamoth Mountain and everywhere in between. Cant say enough about this bike. I beat,flipped,crashed and drowned it, and it wont give up.
I'm finally replacing it with a 2002 XTC-NRS1. I hope it can hold up as well as my faithful friend has. I'll probably convert my old bike to a single speed/slicks.

Favorite Trail:   Carbon Canyon, North-Ridge

Purchased At:   Pro Bikes of Arcadia

Similar Products Used:   Specialized Rockhopper

Bike Setup:   all components are at least 6 years old.
XT derailiers,Gripshift,Halson Fork.

Submitted by Warren a Weekend Warrior from Colorado

Date Reviewed: July 26, 2002

Strengths:    This bike is one tough mother. I've had it for more than 8 years and it treats me sooooo good. No need to get a new bike because it was ahead of it's time.

Weaknesses:    Can't seem to find a 30.2 mm seatpost.

Bottom Line:
After many many years riding this unbelievable bike, I have not had a day of worries with this bike. I like to ride fast and it handles itself like a champion amongst all those fancy new bikes out there. A little grease, maintainence and upgrades to keep it semi-new and it runs like champ. It has been a little sad though because it was completely stripped at college and the insurance won't cover it. So until I get some cash I won't have any more good memories to add to the bike.

Similar Products Used:   Had this bike since 5th grade and now am a Sophmore in college. Didn't ever have another bike. Yeah!!!!!

Bike Setup:   '99 Rock Shox Judy XC, '01 XTR V-Brakes, Full XT components(minus brakes), Shimano 525 Clipless pedals.

Submitted by Cliff Kensinger a Weekend Warrior from San Luis Obispo, Ca, USA

Date Reviewed: June 18, 2002

Strengths:    At 6'3 and over 250 pounds this is the one thing in my life I never broke. The Giant ATX 780 frame has been a dream. I have done 50 or 60 big downhill runs and the frame is so strong. I have replaced things as they broke over the years and now have a bike with mostly new LX and XT Parts. The Frame and the rear Deore DX derailer all all thats left.

Weaknesses:    at over 27 pounds might be a little heavy for some.

Bottom Line:
If you are over 170 pounds, and especially if you are over 210 you should get this bike. It takes so much abuse you would think it was built out of dolamite. This bike is Great.

Favorite Trail:   Poly Canyon West Shooters

Purchased At:   IRA's Bikes of Arroyo Grande

Similar Products Used:   Specialized Rockhopper

Bike Setup:   Rockshox, LX and XT components, Zoom Headset, coda xyz wrap-around handlebar

Submitted by Kim Balo a Downhiller from So. Lake Tahoe

Date Reviewed: November 10, 2001

Strengths:    It's been a great bike, I have upgraded the brakes, cables, shocks and crank. It's hardy and I have put it through rugged downhill trails without a gliche.

Weaknesses:    The seat post is heavy and fat and is an unusually large size, therefore making it difficult to find a seat in my locality. No Giant Dealers up here in Tahoe.

Bottom Line:
I love this bike and am very attached, it's frame is smaller which is great because I am 5'5" and 110 lbs. Although my boyfriend has a nice full susp. GT with downhill componets, I am happy with my "little Giant". It has not failed me yet. Although I would like to upgrade my shifters, derailers and seat, I think I will keep it for a while. It's been a tough bike. Not to mention it's pretty nice looking too.

Favorite Trail:   Anywhere around Tahoe

Purchased At:   Used from Private Party

Similar Products Used:   (Vintage)Giant CF Hard-tail.

Bike Setup:   Rock shox, Deore crank, V-brakes. Exage front and rear derailers and shifters and teflon cables

Submitted by J Wright a Cross Country Rider from Salem, OR

Date Reviewed: October 9, 2001

Strengths:    I've had my ATX 780 for over 6 yrs. This bike is indestructable. Higher end componets (for it's time)and weighs in at 28 pounds for a rigid Cromo-steel-it Rocks.

Weaknesses:    The paint chips and scratches easy, but it never affected my ride!

Bottom Line:
This bike not only climbs well, it takes the abuse of fast downhill. It has been abused, and it still rides better than most bikes.

Favorite Trail:   All-up or downhill

Purchased At:   The Bike Peddler, Salem

Similar Products Used:   Giant's 1994 ATX 760

Bike Setup:   Fully Rigid, LX all around, control Stem-nothing supper fancy-but it does the job.

Submitted by Mike Lavanader a Racer from Canton, MI

Date Reviewed: June 21, 2001

Strengths:    Great frame

Weaknesses:    Stupid 30.2 seatpost size...

Bottom Line:
I bought this bike in 1991. It was the Giant team race bike for XC back then. Sweet Cro-Moly frame and fork, full XT componants with 7 speed rapidfire. This bike has over 8000 miles on it. Im about to rebuild it for XC use. Always keep your best bikes. Even if you're living in a box, theyll still bring back great memories.

Purchased At:   MGM Cycles

Similar Products Used:   Ooh, after 8 years as a mechanic, here we go....1990 Giant Iguana, 1994 Univega Alpina 5.5, 1997 Trek Y-11, 1997 Cannnondale CAAD1 single speed, 1998 Cannondale CAAD2 XC bike, 1999 Haro MX3, 2000 Cannondale Jekyll 900SX, 2001 Schwinn Homegrown Pro, 2001 Schwinn Straight Six.

Bike Setup:   It needs to be rebuilt up again...1994 Mag 21, some XTR and XT parts, Race Face parts...

Submitted by j cattail a Weekend Warrior from lansing, Mi

Date Reviewed: May 2, 2001

Strengths:    steel, good components

Weaknesses:    paint

Bottom Line:
Good around town bike, handles curbs and potholes very well,

nice for short (1 or 2 hour rides) very comfortable. handles dirt roads, gravel shoulders and packed trails and grass very well.

I have fun riding it. Thats what really important

Favorite Trail:   quiet and not too crowded

Bike Setup:   rock shock fork, LX components, XT rear derailler, Grip Shift shifters, continental town and country tire, thudbuster setpost

Submitted by Bob Quinn a Weekend Warrior from Napa,Ca.,USA

Date Reviewed: April 11, 2000

Strengths:    Good Strong Bike for the price, very reliable for commuting, cross training and weekend fun with my cyclist (non-running)friends.

Weaknesses:    Maybe the paint, otherwise I have not found any.

Bottom Line:
I am a 6'2" 200+ pound runner and weight trainer who commutes and cross trains on my bike. I purchased my bike on year-end clearance and was out the door with all the brake and fork upgrades for $750.00 (US). I also enjoy mountian bike riding with my cyclist friends on weekends. I am a fairly conservative rider (I like being in one piece at the end of the ride), and this bike can handle anything I would ever try to ride. With my size I really appreciate the relative lightness of this bike and the flexibility of the frame's ride. All in all it is a great bike for the price. It provides me with a good quality, fun to ride bike at an affordable price.

Favorite Trail:   China Camp

Similar Products Used:   I tried dozens of other bikes in this relative price range both alum. and steel while shopping around and this bike felt the best.

Bike Setup:   LX Deore crank,front derailer,rapid fire shifters and brake pulls, DX rear, XT V-brakes, Answer Manitou SX fork, on a 21" Frame.