Giant ATX 990 Bike 1998 or Older

4.14/5 (7 Reviews)

GIANT ATX 990

Submitted by Tim from Cumming, Georgia USA

Date Reviewed: October 2, 2005

Strengths:    Strong frameset, reliable

Weaknesses:    Rear shock hardware

Bottom Line:
I've had this bike since 1998 when I bought it new and it still works great. The only problem I had was the rear shock hardware broke after 5 years and I couldn't order new parts. Noleen went out of business and Giant didn't support the bike after 5 years. My LBS ordered new hardware and a rear air shock from Risse Racing, who makes hardware for old bikes.

My Santa Cruz is what I take out regularly but the ATX 990 is still a great bike considering its age. You can find them really cheap now occassionaly on ebay so get one if you want a quality FS bike as a backup or loner.

Favorite Trail:   Bull Mountain

Purchased At:   Roswell Bicycles

Similar Products Used:   My other FS bikes - Santa Cruz Superlight, HKS etc.

Bike Setup:   All XT Components, Monkeylite XC Bar, Raceface Post, Risse rear air shock.

Submitted by Jay Farbowich a Cross Country Rider from HaAnafa St. Gilo Jerusalem Israel

Date Reviewed: August 11, 2002

Strengths:    Fairly Light weight frame. Strong and resilent on rough trail. Upgradable parts to XT, XTR, and White Bros springs for better Front Shock performance. Back shock simple but effective. Approx 3 inch front and back travel good for trail and cross country but not a free ride or downhill bike. Strong pivot placements seldom loosen and if it does it is very slight. Other LX parts reliable.

Weaknesses:    Lateral flex in back was corrected by two light weight after market U joints. Gear shifters were replaced for Shimano XT rapid fire because the first Scram shifters were clunkers.

Bottom Line:
With the upgrades and care the bike still rides strong. Sitting down there is no bob but standing there is slight bob when the gear is low. The bike is four bar suspension and active even when braking. The stink bug effect was eliminated by placing two U joints on the rear stays to prevent lateral flex. White bros springs and a dialed in rebound to my body weight soaks up most trail obstacles with ease and comfort. The straight bar allows good position to attack hills and the bike's potential is limited to my abilities and daring. The rear shock has been very reliable over the years. I like it and it gets me home.

Favorite Trail:   Begin and Emek Sorak

Price Paid:    $2000.00

Purchased At:   Express Bicycles Tapiot Jerusalem Israel

Similar Products Used:   Tried friend's Specialized, Canondale, Trek, and Harrow duel suspension. Only now after years of perfecting models would I make a change if I could afford it.

Bike Setup:   Bike weighs now 26 pounds. Lighter Mavic ceramic rims. XT shifters and V brakes upgrade XTR. Light weight Explorer Continental Tires, U joint reinforced back stays to prevent flex, Front fork with White bros springs instead of elastomers, and Girven titanium clipless pedals.

Submitted by Brian a Cross Country Rider from Quakertown, PA ,USA

Date Reviewed: March 30, 2000

Strengths:    almost hardtail-like feel, lightweight for the size

Weaknesses:    Makes a lot of noise

Bottom Line:
I was suprised when I first rode this bike. I was concerned with all of the horror stories you hear regarding full suspension. I have yet to encounter any of the major drawbacks that come with full suspension. I bought this bike in CA and it performed admirably. But this bike really shined when I brought it back east. This bike ate up the rock and root on the trails in my local area. I have nothing but good things to say about it. May I quote Ferris Beuller by saying, "If you have the means to obtain one, I highly recommend it. It's so choice."

Favorite Trail:   High Rocks state park

Similar Products Used:   first full suspension

Bike Setup:   full Shimano XT, WTB rims, Manitou's w/ speed springs, Chris King headset

Submitted by Testiculi a Racer from Sidenneee

Date Reviewed: November 4, 1999

Strengths:
Higly gusseted and strong main frame
Excellent do-everything ride when running in order
Hydraulic Brakes

Weaknesses:
Pivots regularly squeaky
Extreme lateral flex in pivots after 1 years use
LX hubs are crap!!! (my old STX hubs are much better)
Heavy bike- not strong enough for downhill or light/racey enough for XC

Bottom Line:
This bike is really not worth the trouble. Used to ride a lot more when I had my hardtail. It is a very problematic bike, after about I year everything goes wrong and it spends more time in the shop than out on the trails. Don't buy this bike for Downhill, maybe for XC if you get light components..
It runs well when it's straight back from the shop, or new...but after a while it gets on your nerves, and the pivots are piss poor.. I'll give it two chillies, because it was good once..

Royal National Park

2 Years

Trek 930 (great for what it is)
Kona King Kikapu (similar weaknesses as ATX990)

Girvin Triple Clamps,Qranc riser Bars, 636's, XT/LX, Mavic rims

Submitted by Faceplant a Downhiller from New Zealand

Date Reviewed: July 13, 1999

Strengths:
Sturdy design
Can be used as a DH or XC bike (no matter what Jerry tells You)

Bottom Line:
This bike is NOT stock, I had some new travel plates machined to give me 6' instead of the standard 4.5', and got the headtube gusseted, so now it's more a DH machine like my Element that got stolen.I've gone back to this design after testing out heaps of bikes and I still think it's the best type out there (don't buy an LTS, they bend and break!). And the bike you get for your money is pretty impressive.

more than 3 years

Sun Mammoths
yadayadayada

Submitted by Jerry Woiton a Cross-Country Rider from Tokyo , Japan

Date Reviewed: July 3, 1999

Strengths:
Nice cross-country bike;
not sluggish like alot of other dual susp.bikes

Weaknesses:
lateral flex in the rear;not active under braking;blew out 2 rear shocks!

Bottom Line:
The ATX 990 is a great all purpose X-country rig, but don;t try to make it something it's not( like a freeride type bike). It climbs well and descends
pretty good too. I've ridden other Dual rigs and they can be sluggish; not the Giant.But I don't think I'd buy it again.

Mt Hinode/ Warabi

more than 3 years

can't compare

Marzocchi Z-2; Noleen NR4;XT compenents; Mavic
hoops; IRC Mythos; Azonir riser bar;Ritchey
clipless...etc.

Submitted by JL CUBANCIGAR a Cross-Country Rider from Miami, FL

Date Reviewed: June 21, 1999

Strengths:
Medium weight, (26.5#) XC bike. Handles great all around able team racer or lay back traveler. Hard to beat in the $1500-2000 money class...

Weaknesses:
None really if your are looking for a jack of all trades bike

Bottom Line:
great NOS frameset that I custom built to my taste.

Oleta State Park, FL

3 months

SID XC, XT-XTR comps., Michs-comp s, mavic 221

My NOS John Tomac ATX 990!!!!

I posted this in the passion section before and was told to come down here and give you all my story. It will be long but bear with me. I will also have questions on where to get parts later too. So heres my story, when I was 18 my brother had a Trek 820, heavy bike, but got me into MTB. An ... Read More »

Opinion/info on Giant ATX 990

OK I know it is old stuff but GF wants a cheap MTB to ride on. While she used to ride my Enduro but it is too big for her and she wants her own bike (she is sick of me yelling at her telling her not to cross-chain.....). Not wanting to spend a lot of $$$ and wanting her to have a dualie I was thinki ... Read More »