Giant ATX 970 (Dual Suspension - CANADA) Bike 1998 or Older

4.67/5 (3 Reviews)

GIANT ATX 970 (Dual Suspension - CANADA)

Submitted by GiantATX970 a Weekend Warrior from Saugus, CA, USA

Date Reviewed: June 25, 2009

Strengths:    Great look, Excellent manueverablity on steep downhills

Weaknesses:    The silver metal part that fits between the rear D'railer and frame

Bottom Line:
I weight over 200 pounds and rode this bike for 14 years. Anywhere from 30 mile treks to hard technical. No problems but one...the silver metal part that fits between the rear D'railer and frame bent some years ago. A shop tried to bend it back but never worked right again. During spring cleaning/adjustments just now, I adjusted it again on a vice and it held. But, due to the still odd angle of that silver piece, the derailleur hit the spokes and broke. I write this with a smile because I enjoyed the bike all over the world and will fondly bid fairwell as I move on to my first new bike in 14 years...though I will still look for a replacement piece. Anyone have it?

Purchased At:   Geilenkirchen, Germa

Similar Products Used:   Cannondale

Bike Setup:   As bought

Submitted by Homer Sexual a Racer from Wombourne

Date Reviewed: September 21, 2000

Strengths:    CU-92 frame construction, wicked and stiff

Weaknesses:    Upgrading the STX

Bottom Line:
Cos Stone Cold sez so, I upgraded the LX/STX components to a LX/XT mix so as to better withstand some of the hard terrain that I ride. I also picked up a rear suspension pump that is a necessity for anyone purchasing a full suspension bike. I am very happy with my ride, the Rock Shox Judy C is nice and plush with tons of travel and the DMN rear suspension is nice and controlled on smooth surfaces with the adjustable dampening valve. This bike performs flawelessly on all types of terrains and is a definetly a good buy.

Favorite Trail:   Pickles Hill

Purchased At:   Fred Williams

Similar Products Used:   Davinci (FS)
Specialized XC (FS)

Bike Setup:   Purchasing a rear suspension pump is essential.

Submitted by Ben Morris a Cross-Country Rider from Ottawa, Ontatio

Date Reviewed: May 19, 1999

Strengths:
CU-92 frame construction, nice and stiff, really plush suspension when it is supposed to be

Weaknesses:
Upgrading the STX - RC hubs is a must

Bottom Line:
After spending some time shopping around I finally found what I was looking for, a great full suspension steed that wasn't going to bob all over the place on reasonably flat and smooth surfaces, yet be nice and active on the downhills. I picked my bike up at the local Giant dealer (Poison Spider) where I was pleasantly surprised by the kind salespeople. I upgraded the LX/STX components to a LX/XT mix so as to better withstand some of the hard terrain that I ride. I also picked up a rear suspension pump that is a necessity for anyone purchasing a full suspension bike. I am very happy with my ride, the Rock Shox Judy C is nice and plush with tons of travel and the DMN rear suspension is nice and controlled on smooth surfaces with the adjustable dampening valve. This bike performs flawelessly on all types of terrains and is a definetly a good buy.

Garage - Beaverpond