Giant ATX 890 Bike 1998 or Older

MSRP : $2000.00

Giant ATX 890

Submitted by Chris Choi a Downhiller from Iowa City

Date Reviewed: June 15, 2004

Strengths:    Very light and good parts.

Weaknesses:    Need some serious attention.

Bottom Line:
Hmm... This bike may suck at first look. But if you are serious biker enough to fix problems, this bike can make you fly. This bike has two problems. And I tell you how to fix them. First, get a stem extender for the fork stem and get a new headset that raise the handle bar even further. Then you have no problem at down hill. Then change the gear changer on the handle bar. This will fix the sucky slow gear change. Shimano STX parts are actually OK. It's gear changer on the handle bar that make gear change slow. After changing these, this bike will fly by itself.

Purchased At:   pawnshop

Submitted by kev dogg a Weekend Warrior from winnipeg

Date Reviewed: August 9, 2003

Strengths:    great price so i had to say yes

Weaknesses:    none for this price

Bottom Line:
why pay top dollar when you can get this same bike for under 100

Favorite Trail:   banff

Purchased At:   the kid down the street

Similar Products Used:   whatever the kids can get

Bike Setup:   everything

Submitted by Ben B a Weekend Warrior from Morgantown, WV

Date Reviewed: October 16, 2002

Strengths:    Light, strong, good looking. I found this baby on closeout/auction in 2000, and built it up accordingly as my first 'real' XC/free-riding bike.

Weaknesses:    Put a slight ding in the cross-tube during one of my early dead-elephants, but you'll have that! The seat post diameter is a little obscure (read:big), but I eventually found a steal on a nice Thompson to fit it.

Bottom Line:
As a relative newbie, I wanted to see how inexpensively I could build up a non-stock hardtail w/ decent components. Using auction and part closeouts, I managed to build this baby for around $650 to start, with the LX/XT build and a circa '97 judy. I now am going to beef it up a little for XC/light duty freeride cruising with the 'Zoch and discs.

Favorite Trail:   coopers rock

Purchased At:   live2play.com

Similar Products Used:   Spec Rockhopper, GT Borrego (remember those?)

Bike Setup:   LX/XT 9 speed build, Old Judy XC, titec stem & bars, Thompson seatpost, wellgo clipless, XT hubs on Hutchinson rims.
*Currently upgrading to a XT front disc, Marzocchi Bomber Z1 fork, Shimano M646 pedals, Kore stem and Easton monkeylite riser bar.

Submitted by Paul Leaman a Weekend Warrior from Boston, MA, USA

Date Reviewed: October 2, 2002

Strengths:    Stiff frame, climbs like a mtn goat, I have bent cranksets - but not this one!!

Weaknesses:    (me) downhill racing

Bottom Line:
Great Bike, but not for the mild-mannered or the timid rider. The rake is tight, and the frame is stiff.

Favorite Trail:   any

Purchased At:   Pedal Power, Acton MA

Bike Setup:   factory

Submitted by Paul Ignatiuk a Racer from Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

Date Reviewed: August 1, 2002

Strengths:    A nice, rigid frame that keeps on ticking; I've had this bike for 4 years of hard riding. I love how this bike climbs and handles in single track. All the parts have been replaced once or more, but the bike "feels good" regardless of what it's got on it. Sharp lookin' yellow frame. Giant is awesome: I originally purchased a Cr/Moly 780 but that frame broke - with some help from my dealer, Giant replaced the frame with an 890 at no cost (other than some necessary part switches)!

Weaknesses:    None that I have experienced not related to poor aftermarket parts.

Bottom Line:
I love this bike and plan on keeping it running/replacing parts as long as possible. It rides well in all but steep descents, regardless of the part set.

Favorite Trail:   Happy Valley

Purchased At:   Camrose Cycle

Bike Setup:   Judy Race, LX/XT, Magura hydraulic rim brakes

Submitted by ROB a Cross Country Rider from HOBART

Date Reviewed: January 28, 2001

Strengths:    Light weight, great overall components for the price ($2000AU). The discs rock in all conditions, which is nice to know. Paint job is nice and flashy as well

Weaknesses:    The tyres it comes with; 2.0 WTB motoraptors. Get some Tiogas or Panaracers for some more fun.

Bottom Line:
There ism't a better valued bike out there. Thank god I've got one, instead of wishing I had. It is capable of hard racing and general trail riding. Very verstile. I'd recommend it to any rider who rides and races on the one bike. You can't go wrong with GIANT

Purchased At:   McBains Cycles, Hobart, TASMANIA, AUSTRALIA

Similar Products Used:   Norco Nitro, Giant ATX 890, Specialized Rockhopper Comp

Bike Setup:   LX/XT drivetrain, hayes hydraulic discs, SID XC, TITEC bar, stem, barends.

Submitted by Az Davies a Weekend Warrior from wales

Date Reviewed: November 10, 2000

Strengths:    great frame, light and strong, brilliant for single track

Weaknesses:    crap formula cable disg brakes and livers.
judy xc forks were worn and unfixable after 6months.

Bottom Line:
good single trak , crosscountry bike but some crap components espesually the formula cable disg brakes

Favorite Trail:   redbull-coed-y-brenin

Purchased At:   cyclemart

Similar Products Used:   frame similaR to cannondales

Bike Setup:   standard, saram 9.0, judyxc fork,

Submitted by Caleb a Racer from Las Cruces,NM

Date Reviewed: April 29, 2000

Bottom Line:
update on my last submition. Now into the 2000 racing season and had to put wheels on. The originals lasted 3 years. the frame is still going strong and all the componets are aftermarket. Still one of the best bikes.

Submitted by Robert a Cross Country Rider from Malaysia

Date Reviewed: April 14, 2000

Strengths:    Very Very Light, excellent for climbing, great paint job.

Weaknesses:    Very thin wall for tubing, it's so thin that the rivets for the bottle bracket came off after my first ride. so I'm down with only 1 bottle bracket. Beware...I have to get rid of my 1-1/8" King headset 'cause the AXT890 has a slightly bigger oversized head tube. The stiff rear end also jumps a bit during downhill.

Bottom Line:
A lightweight frame built excellent for technical steep climbing, no major problems with this frame, overall I would think it still deserve a four hot chillis.

Favorite Trail:   Bukit Nanas, NS

Similar Products Used:   Marin Eldridge Grade

Bike Setup:   Rock Shock Judy SL, XTR set up, CT2 handle bar & seatpost, Icon Fat Maggie bar ends & Durantee stem.

Submitted by Tom Barry a Weekend Warrior from Hamilton Ontario Canada

Date Reviewed: March 1, 2000

Strengths:    I've rode this bike for one year now and I love it. Full XT
with Judy XC front shock. Alum frame fairly light and fast, I have the scars to prove it.

Weaknesses:    Can't think of any.

Bottom Line:
The bike cost me $1800can. A great bike for the Weekend Warrior who wants to have a trouble free ride. The XT shifters are great, only had one problem with them and that was the lever for the back stripped the cams inside the housing, (was repaired under warranty).

Favorite Trail:   Dundas Conservation Park