Giant ATX 880 Bike 1998 or Older

4.41/5 (17 Reviews)

Giant ATX 880

Submitted by Jason Cameron a Weekend Warrior from Brockville, Ontario

Date Reviewed: April 30, 2003

Strengths:    Incredible Bike, Very Strong

Bottom Line:
This is an amazing Bike. I purchased 2 years ago for 700 and it was only riden once or twice. Mint condition just like it was out of the box. This bike does all the work for you on the trail, extremly fast bike. Well worth spending the money on. Great Bike.

Submitted by Niels Dekker a Racer from Maasticht,Holland

Date Reviewed: February 8, 2000

Strengths:    It really looks good, the brakes are great(magura),the xt/Lx works very good. It weights just 12,7 kilo's.
The front suspension is one of the best (judy )

Weaknesses:    Giant should not place suntour pedals on such a bike.
In Holland the "top"giant bikes are expensive. I paid 2500 Dutch guldens = 1250 dollar.

Bottom Line:
I am from Holland and I think my bike is different from the usa atx880(I found that when I was looking on the giant site and I found some differences between the usa- and europe Giant bikes!)
I am biking two or three times a week(I also have a TREK USA racebike) I am treating my giant as if it is my little baby. Giant has placed a great bike on the market with the atx880! The steering qualities are top! I think that this bike is meant for serious mtb- users, who are wishing for the best all over their bike(brakes,gear,suspension). I think it's not a good idea to use this bike for downhilling, because it has no rear suspension.
One thing is for sure: BIKERS RULE THE WORLD!!!!

Favorite Trail:   all around the world

Similar Products Used:   I've used a atx 840 and this one is absolutely stronger,faster,etc.The atx880 is not comparable with the 840

Bike Setup:   A aircraft alluminium 12,7 kg frame, rockshox judy c front suspension, magura oilbrakes, xt/lx shifters and oh yeah, a KORE (headdesign)stearholder....

Submitted by Andrew a Racer from Berne Switzerland

Date Reviewed: October 11, 1999

Bottom Line:
My race season has just finished here and I have tio say that I was really happy with my bike. As I've seen with other reviews here.....the brake set up are shite and as disc breaks become cheaper this would be the best solution. I'm contantly changing the cables for both brakes and gears. but other wise no probles. Mine came with RST mozo Pro shocks and they cracked after a year and a half ! Poor choice Giant! Also the Mavic 220's didn't cope with a an 85kg rider doing the usually training rides with nothing extreme asked of them. 2nd poor choice giant. But the frame and the size 21 inches was just great for me and my intor to racing. I will be upgrading to the XTC series though in December but I'll still keep the 880 in prime nick for good traing and hill bashing.

2 Years

Submitted by Chris Reetz a Weekend Warrior from Las Cruces, NM

Date Reviewed: October 1, 1999

Strengths:
The Giant ATX 880 is a great bike for the price. I bought my Giant back in '97 and have been bombing hills ever since. No problems so far, except for my brakes wearing out (whcih I replaced with Shimano LX V-brakes) and my rear shifter gear cable fraying out. She is one of the sweetest looking bikes around, also (red on chrome). Keep it rockin' Giant! Hey, and I only paid 9 bills for this monster. Crash hard yo!

Bottom Line:
This bike rocks!

sandia peak ski run during the summer

more than 3 years

Submitted by john eastwood a Cross-Country Rider from Melbourne, Australia

Date Reviewed: June 8, 1999

Strengths:
Very strong and light - takes a real beating and holds up well - good balance of suspension

Bottom Line:
Top bike which has saved me from making a fool of myself more than once; works well with the panaracers, can handle severe conditions without too much complaint

Beechworth

1 Year

Giant ATX880, Indy SL and Panaracer Compe front and rear

Submitted by Hacky a Cross-Country Rider from Belgium

Date Reviewed: May 9, 1999

Strengths:
This bikes is very good as it comes too price vs components, BUT... this bike in his largest model even ,is too small for someone who measures 1m90cm.

Weaknesses:
Giant must join the european market with larger bikes in every model!!!

Bottom Line:
Giant makes their bikes too smal for taller people.

tested or demo'ed only

Submitted by Too $hort a weekend warrior from Moscow, PA

Date Reviewed: February 14, 1999

Bottom Line:

This bike is amazing! I picked it up in near-mint condition from a friend last summer for a little over 400 bills. Since then I have thrown just about anything you could imagine at it, and it still comes back ready for more.It came with all Shimano LX components, which I have no complaints about, a Quadra 21R w/ Speed Springs, which give me the perfect amount of rebound for the type of riding I do in Central PA, an amazingly resiliant frame that, despite some chipped paint, has been through everything, and much, much more that I can't list here. My only prob was that it came with the WORST brake pads ever - Shimano LX. They virtually melted at the first sign of moisture, but have since been replaced with Kool Stops.Instead of looking for a new bike this spring, I'm just putting that money towards upgrading my baby. By far, the Giant ATX 880 is the best bang for your buck!

Submitted by Andrew Burton a weekend warrior from Canada

Date Reviewed: December 13, 1998

Bottom Line:

The Giant ATX 880 is the most bang for the buck I have ever seen at $1400. I ditched the ESP rear deraileur and shifters for XT and LX, respectively. The rest of the bike is essentially an LX gruppo. The bike is extremely light (about 23 pounds), and handles beautifully. Giant spec'd a seatpost that was too small (warranteed), the LX bottom bracket croaked after two months (warranteed) and my Indy SL's have proven impossible to maintain due to the spacer being stuck in the fork. I have replaced the Indys with some Judy SLs. The bike is now the best hardtail that I would ever consider buying. Despite a few maintainance headaches, I wouldn't change anything. Good work, Giant!

Submitted by manny lopez a weekend warrior from Texas

Date Reviewed: December 3, 1998

Bottom Line:

I have a chance to buy a Giant ATX 880 for $400. Been in the garage, looks new.
Is this a good price? I've been looking at G. Fisher's and Treks.

Submitted by Davo the machine Jones a downhiller from Melbourne

Date Reviewed: October 30, 1998

Bottom Line:

I picked up this bike for 800 bucks and it pumps hard!!!! I love it and it caters for everything I need it for. My only upgrade would be to Judy T2's or XC's, also the brakes are a bit dodge, they tend to skid, but with practice they are alright.Viva la Hotham!!!!

Submitted by Tom Wyld a downhiller from London, England

Date Reviewed: October 15, 1998

Bottom Line:

I picked up my 880 in November 1997 at £625. Previously I had been a keen rider but was only riding el-cheepo setups ie Trail breaker two followed by a Townsend aly bike both of which rapidly died under my less than gental carreses. My 880 held up well and with a few extras (club roost DH bars + sharp planet X cages which had a tendency to take the occasional lovebite from my shins.) I began a year long romance which saw Trials in Portsmouth Dirt jumping in a very hot spot in Winchester and 100 miles of the south downs all entwined with No footers, drop offs, nothings and innumerable heart halting stacks. She took all the batterings with grace and minimal repair requirements. Untill last weekend when returning to the car after a half hour absence I found door lock askew and bike gone. I post this as a eulogy to a bike dearly missed and also as testimony to a radical set up. Long May She Run.

Submitted by Eric Robinson a cross-country rider from Cambridge, Ontario, CANADA

Date Reviewed: July 14, 1998

Bottom Line:

This bike kicks! Although it's my first bike, I can't even begin to make any complaints. It's light, versatile, and very nimble. I picked it up for $1190 CDN in late '97 and upgraded to the ESP 9.0 (from the 7.0) for 65 bucks! An absolute steal! For my relative newness to the sport, this bike will be sufficient for me with no upgrades for some time. It looks great and I get compliments all the time!! I've beat it up pretty good so far and its held up excellent!
This bike is so good that I would consider buying Giant bikes again.5 Flaming Hot Chillies for this review and waddup to my boy in Van. B.C. ridin' the North Shore!! See you soon Bro'!!!

Submitted by Alexis Dagenais a weekend warrior from Montreal,Canada

Date Reviewed: May 22, 1998

Bottom Line:

This Bike cost $1400 in 1997, i got it for $1100 in 1998. It's really a good deal, very light and easy to handle. The esp 7.0 works very well and my Rock Shox indy sl too. No more 880 for 1998 is a cheap move from Giant. Good chance to anyone to find a ATX 880!!!!

Submitted by Jamo a cross-country rider from Ontario

Date Reviewed: May 20, 1998

Bottom Line:

I bought my 880 for $595 (used), and I have had both Marin, and Specialized. This bike blows the Marin Indian Fire Trail away, ans seems on an even keel with my M2 Team Edition Specialized, if not even better for one quarter the price. Last bike I'll need for awhile.

Submitted by Mike Ferguson a racer from Ottawa, Canada

Date Reviewed: March 24, 1998

Bottom Line:

I bought this bike last year for around $1300 cdn. I can honestly say that it is the best bike for it's value. No other bike compares when it comes to price VS.
componets. The only throw back is the LX V's, I hate'em. Oh yeah and there is NO 98' 880 from Giant. I suggest it if you can find it !