Gary Fisher Tassajara Bike Bike 1998 or Older

4.23/5 (65 Reviews)

Tassajara

Submitted by Craig

Date Reviewed: May 7, 2013

Strengths:    Solid bike...

Weaknesses:    paint seems to chip easily...

Bottom Line:
Great bike for the price I paid. I recently picked up a Gary Fisher Tassajara hard tail with standard forks, it's purple in color, not sure of year but guessing from the 90's, has all Alevio shimano components. I paid $40 for the for the bike at a garage sale, they were asking $75. It has some chips in the paint but nothing really bad, I am looking for some touch up paint for this bike, anyone have any suggestions? Did Fisher make touch up paints for their bikes? Thanks for any info.

Submitted by Edward Salazar

Date Reviewed: July 17, 2012

Strengths:    Solid Strong Bike,rain or shine.

Weaknesses:    I don't see or feel any.

Bottom Line:
Like people use autos. I use this Bike; I put in at least 300 hundred or more miles a week on my Gary Fisher Tassajara. The last 15 years I've had at least 4 other mountain bikes, 2 were stolden and 2 were junk. This Gary Fisher Tassajara bike I have is awesome!! This bike is in a league of its own!! This bike keeps me young and I'm 61 yrs. I can't even see myself driving an auto again. "Thank You Gary Fisher"

Submitted by Mike

Date Reviewed: April 22, 2012

Strengths:    Durable, lightweight and geometry is great

Bottom Line:
I've had this bike for nearly 14 years... it has gone everywhere with me, from aggressive riding now to pulling the kids. I love this bike and am finally upgrading some of the parts. The front shock (Manitou) has finally given out and the shifters need replacement also. Great investment and I've had lots of fun on this bike- I can't give it a high enough rating!!!

Submitted by Lil Jen a Downhiller from Logan, Utah

Date Reviewed: December 20, 2010

Strengths:    It lasted me 12 years!!! never had to replaced front/rear derailleurs, good upkeep on maintenance makes a bike go a loooooooong way, and combining that with an AWSOME Gary Fisher made it go even further!
I LOVE the light weight and maneuverability for tight corners, the front shocks (manitou) were pretty great and lasted this long. My front hub is FINALLY going downhill.
I've dropped this thing off some 3 footers and it just still kicks ass.
however, after 12 years of loving this bike, I am finally convinced that the rear suspension has been developed enough to switch over. I love my little Tassajara but it's time for a new one. I would recommend one of you're looking for a descent hard tail that will last FOREVER!!!

Weaknesses:    I always had a hard time with the uphill and the front shocks. perhaps it's me and my skill, but on technical uphill, the front tire was always popping off the ground on me. I also wish it had more gears, but that was then, and now they do have more gears. I'm sure they have improved on this since 1998

Bottom Line:
Gary Fisher is completely awsome! I hope I can afford a full suspension. I'm ready! I'm thinking; "holy s*#t! if I can drop a 3 footer on a hard tail, what can I do on my new GF all mtn?"

Favorite Trail:   Barrel roll or Hurrican rim, goose berry

Purchased At:   Sunrise Bikes

Similar Products Used:   NOTHING! I've been so satisfied with my GF that I didn't have to do anything.

Bike Setup:   Deore, MTB, crowbars, manitou etc.

Submitted by Sp4rt4cus a Cross Country Rider from Provo UT

Date Reviewed: July 19, 2009

Strengths:    Geometry is amazing. This was my first all custom build, and it is the best I've yet ridden. Climbing is wonderful, just as downhill is fast and clean. I'm riding an 01 frame, Marzocchi fork, XT Derailleurs, Spec Roll-X and Eskar Elite tires on Rhynolite rims. Avid brakes, etc etc. Highly Recommended.

Weaknesses:    The only issue I had with the bike was that the steerer tube is incredibly long. This is necessary for the geometry to be so awesome, but it makes it hard to replace the fork with something from another bike. Overall, however the small sacrifice is worth it with the great frame geometry.

Bottom Line:
Gary Fisher is the first and last name in mountain bikes, and the Tassajara is THE hardtail of choice. If you're a singletrack XC rider of any kind, I highly recommend this bike. Worth every penny.

Favorite Trail:   Bonneville Shoreline

Purchased At:   Custom Build

Similar Products Used:   Spec Hardrock, Rockhopper, Raleigh M-40, other various builds

Submitted by garywalnuts a Weekend Warrior from Manchester, CT. USA

Date Reviewed: December 5, 2008

Strengths:    As has been said; very strong and beautiful frame. I love my bike.

Weaknesses:    Seat, Wheels and fork.(rock shox jett)

Bottom Line:
I have a '97' Tass. I've put thousands of miles on it and have ridden it much harder than would be recommended by anyone. Other than the wheels and saddle all of the components still work just fine. But after reading a thread about aluminum frames and fatigue life I was thinking about getting a new bike this year. But I really don't want another bike. The frame is beautiful and it has a lot of memories for me. So I am just about finished replacing all of the components including a custom made, gold headset spacer engraved "With this ring, I Thee Wed." I love my bike.

Favorite Trail:   Manchester/Glastonbury

Purchased At:   Manchester Bike shop

Similar Products Used:   Stump Jumper, Pro Flex, Kona Lanai

Bike Setup:   Now 2008 XT drive w/FSA controls. I love my WTB Devo saddle.

Submitted by pghpensfan a Weekend Warrior from Glenshaw, PA, USA

Date Reviewed: October 15, 2008

Strengths:    Tough frame, wheelset

Weaknesses:    Componentry maybe not top of the line, but I don't care

Bottom Line:
I went back to bicycling looking to lose weight, started at 360 lbs! Found this 1998 or 99 Tass on Craigslist knowing that I would probobly tear through a store brand bike pretty quick at my weight. Now down to 300, rewarded myself with a new Kaitai. But there is something about the Tass that keeps me rotating between the bikes. I ride to work every day, and have the Tass set up more like a hybrid, but not a problem yet. I love the bike.

Favorite Trail:   Pittsburgh Rails to trails

Purchased At:   Craigslist

Similar Products Used:   2008 Gary Fisher Kaitai

Bike Setup:   Stock (I think)

Submitted by Alan Nash a Weekend Warrior from Wilmington NC USA

Date Reviewed: November 5, 2003

Strengths:    Super strong frame…Lighter than the starter bikes…I only paid 200.00 used, but flawless

Weaknesses:    yeah, the rims are a bit weak

Bottom Line:
I crushed my Giant frame on BMX courses, went to the store and found this baby waiting for me. It's been love ever since. One solid frame, easy to tinker with, forgiving, and on a simple note damn fine looking. If I could afford another Fisher, I'd buy one. Then again, I've got this one… I don't need another one.
Thank you Gary Fisher!!!!!!!

Similar Products Used:   Giant, Jamis citizen

Bike Setup:   stock 1997 Tassajara

Submitted by Jack Connolly a Weekend Warrior from Fairmont, West Virginia, USA

Date Reviewed: June 9, 2003

Strengths:    Frame Size, Low Weight, Agility, Crankset, Shifters

Weaknesses:    Cheap Ass Rims, No Suspension

Bottom Line:
Great bicycle, after more than 2500 miles of riding on this bike it still rides very nicely and no frame distortion or creaking. Whatever your riding environment, this bike holds its own for the most part.

Favorite Trail:   North Central WV Rail Trails

Purchased At:   Pathfinder Bicycles in Morgantown, WV

Similar Products Used:   Specialized Rock Hopper

Bike Setup:   Added Suspension Seat Post to obtain soft tail comfort

Submitted by Federico Alban a Cross Country Rider from San Jose, Costa Rica

Date Reviewed: March 7, 2002

Strengths:    Frame is just awesome, with a really cool paintjob.

Weaknesses:    Sucky Rims
Stem gets loose!
NEEDS suspension...

Bottom Line:
Upgraded to Manitou Magnum, Better Rims, Aheadset and STX V brakes. Great bike for the money, have traveled more than 600 km on it over white beaches, asphalt and mud. Have also raced it a couple of times and have done quite a bit of traveling with saddle bags. Now a days I ride it to work every day and back. Some regular maintenance and the damm thing still feels like new!! HIGHLY RECOMENDED!!

Favorite Trail:   Monteverde hills

Similar Products Used:   Jaisa MTB
Specialized Rockhopper

Bike Setup:   1997 non-suspended/Alivio setup/canteliver

Submitted by Xavier Beaulieu a Cross Country Rider from Boisbriand, Qc, Canada

Date Reviewed: July 29, 2001

Strengths:    Light and great handling, easy to play with. Looks good and the frame is strong.

Weaknesses:    No possibility of replacing brakes for V-Brakes in front!?! or is my frame not completed? Mine was setup with front acera-x derailleur, this as the beginning sucks but anyway, I broke it when my jean pant got into it so things are now great with STX-RC derailleur.

Bottom Line:
This has been the first "Mountain bike" I bought when I was young, I think its a good purchase for every week users who want something good for their money. It's worth it for sure. I think it's for teens who have just enought money to buy a 500$ bike. I think mine will work fine for many years to come.

I've done at least 1500km with it and it is still working fine. I needed to changed front derailleur/tires/

Favorite Trail:   Fast easy trails or road

Purchased At:   Sports Experts

Similar Products Used:   Trek and some high end mountain motocross made like bikes.

Bike Setup:   Now: AceraX changed to STX-RC front derailleur/STX at the back/Crapy tires changed to Hutchinson fight the rocks tires at the back and PanaracerRcPro in front.

Submitted by Paul a Cross Country Rider from Coon Rapids, MN USA

Date Reviewed: June 28, 2001

Strengths:    Bullet Proof

Bottom Line:
This is the first bike I realy liked as a grownup. It ranks up there with my first BMX as a kid. I have a road and XC full Suspension bike, but for just kicking it around town there is no better choice. Kinda like an old pair of shoes.

Favorite Trail:   Milaca

Purchased At:   People Powered Sports

Similar Products Used:   Department store special

Bike Setup:   97 Steel, rigid, Trail slicks, Clipless.

Submitted by Adam G a Weekend Warrior from Philidelphia

Date Reviewed: February 20, 2001

Strengths:    This bike is AWESOME!!!!!! The frame is awsome!!! The Bike has never broken and has always got me through any trail. Even though I upgraded the shock to an X-Vert, the magnum is light weight, plush and ready to absorb any rock log or whatever your doing. The wheels and tires are also great.

Weaknesses:    Some of the componetry isn't so hot. The cranks and front derailler are both acera, not to great. But the LX is great and so are the shifters. This bike has little weakness.

Bottom Line:
The bottom line is whoever you are, or whatever you ride, stop! and get this bike! It is all around awesome. Buy this bike as soon as you can. If you want to upgrade when you get it fine, but make sure you do get it. ITS GREAT!!!!
MUY BUENO!!!

Favorite Trail:   Cool Trail at Wissohicken

Purchased At:   Bikeline

Similar Products Used:   Im selling this bike because its to small, you can buy this 16" frame on ebay, orthe mtbr used market place. I need the money so i can get the exact same bike!!!!!!

Bike Setup:   This bike's frame geometry is great. Your exactly where you want to be on the bike. The frame is also very light, and can handle anything. I'll tell you now that my bike has never broken, and is still in great condition.

Submitted by Paul Barusich a Weekend Warrior from NY, Long Island

Date Reviewed: February 11, 2001

Strengths:    I have a 97' Tassahara. Great all-around bike, I've had NO problems with anything on the bike.

Weaknesses:    nothing that doesn't jusify the great price.

Bottom Line:
again, great all around bike. I've gotten my $450 out of this bike! Really abused it, never really properly maintained it since 1997 (it's now 2001!). I am in the process of replacing the ORIGINAL chain, pedels, and re-greasing the back hub. That is damn good reilability for abusing a bike for 4 years. Get one; you will Not be dissapointed in the least.

Favorite Trail:   near Susquehanna University, behind Hampton Inn!

Similar Products Used:   Ross Mt. Washington, (no comparison, the fisher is in a higher league.)

Bike Setup:   un-sprung, aftermarket rims, spokes, tires, LX back hub, brake pads, front hub, chain, pedels...

Submitted by Terry a Weekend Warrior from Peterborough, ON Canada

Date Reviewed: June 15, 2000

Strengths:    Reliable and virtually bulletproof through 1000 kilometres of pavement commuting, and several hundred pretty hard trail miles.

Weaknesses:    Seat movement, didn't get me out of that guy on the carbon-fibre road bike fast enough.

Bottom Line:
Good value and a solid performer. Grip shifter for rears has been a little fussy. Highly Recommended for commuting, and even pretty rough trail stuff.

Bike Setup:   Stock, and with a trail a bike sometimes.

My first bike? Gary Fisher Tassajara?

Hi everyone. I'm a total noob but I have been reading this forum a lot trolling the place. So I am planning to buy this for $250 used. Is this a decent beginner bike and for the price? I know it's a 09 but my car is a 98 Corolla....so it's pretty dang new for me. bikereviews-dot-com/mountain-bik ... Read More »

NEW Gary Fisher Tassajara Mountain Bike - $999 (Gainesville VA)

I have a new Gary Fisher Tassajara mountain bike. I bought this bike last June (2010) and it has only been ridden 20 times. When I say its like new, it is really like new. Again it has only been ridden 20 times! The bike is in PERFECT conditions. I have put on new grips, a bottle holder and clip on ... Read More »

Men's large Gary Fisher Tassajara Mountain Bike

I know this is like the 4th thread I've posted for bikes, but I simply just want to find the right bike for me, at a decent price. I found this bike near me on Craigslist, unfortunately there isn't much of a description, but I looked up all the years this bike was made from 2002 and up, and all the ... Read More »

Which bike: cameleon 4 vs Fisher Tassajara

I'm really new to the sport. In fact I'm feeling so cheap living in Vancouver without mnt biking that I've decided to go buy one tomorrow. I will be a weekend biker mostly and will be hitting trails around north van, etc. to get in shape and start in the sport. I'm hesitating between these 3 ... Read More »