Gary Fisher Paragon Bike Bike 1998 or Older

4.7/5 (84 Reviews)

Paragon

Submitted by Rens Rezelman a Cross Country Rider from Cape Town, South Africa

Date Reviewed: August 6, 2009

Strengths:    Big wheels and light weight frame

Weaknesses:    Granny gear still has a high ratio

Bottom Line:
This baby rolls. I found that the lightweight frame was great for uphill riding - especially with the 29" wheels. Downhill you feel like you're slightly higher than other riders - great for approaching bumps and loose rocks - it just cruises over them.

Favorite Trail:   Tokai Forest

Price Paid:    $1940.00

Purchased At:   Bowman Cycles, Cape

Similar Products Used:   Nothing close - upgraded from a Mongoose Super Tyax

Bike Setup:   As per shop spec

Submitted by saint mikey a Weekend Warrior from BEVERLY MA

Date Reviewed: March 18, 2009

Strengths:    5'10-225LBS,FITS ME PERFECT LG FRAME,GREAT RIDE OVER TRAILS AND STREETS,CURBS ETC. I OWNED A 2007 AND SOLD IT FOR A 2008-GARY HEARD MY COMPLAITS ABOUT THE NEEDED FOX STRUT AND THE CROSS COUNTRY OF THE 2007 NEEDED TO BE ADJUSTED LIKE MY GARY FISHER MT. TAM IN 1995 THAT LASTED ME 10 YEARS UNTIL IT GOT STOLEN!

Weaknesses:    TIRES SUCK-BOUGHT THE 2.3 MIL

Bottom Line:
IAM A LINBACKER ON A BIKE HAVE BEEN MT BIKING FOR ALMOST 20 YEARS GO '29 2008 PARAGON ROCKS! I JUST RID OVER ANYTHING,CHICKS DIG THE COLOR. NOTED ON 1995 MT. TAM- I SNAPED MY FARME IN 2000 AND GARY FISHER SENT ME A NEW FRAME FREE OF CHARGE- THANKYOU ALL AND GO SICK!!! MIKEY

Favorite Trail:   EVERYWYERE

Purchased At:   INTERNATIOMNAL CYCLE

Similar Products Used:   2007 PARAGON- GO FOR THE G2 FRAME AND HIT THE WOODS

Bike Setup:   STOCK

Submitted by Michael a Cross Country Rider from Plano, Tx

Date Reviewed: September 26, 2008

Strengths:    Smooth ride for a hardtail. Great components. 29rs rock!

Weaknesses:    The frame. I bought it in November, 2007. In May, 2008 the frame cracked where the top tube meets the seat tube. Trek/Fisher replaced no questions asked BUT "will it happen again/". I did not mistreat the bike in any way.

Bottom Line:
I love riding it. I have seen another Paragon with a cracked frame. Bad omen?

Favorite Trail:   Oak Cliff Nature Preserve

Purchased At:   Richardson Bike Mart

Similar Products Used:   Trek 930 (from the last century)

Bike Setup:   From the factory.

Submitted by jon blas from AK

Date Reviewed: April 16, 2006

Weaknesses:    if i were really picky i'd replace the
fork, the shox arn't that great.

Bottom Line:
i got a 95' and i have to say for the price i got it for it's great!!!!!!!!!!!

Purchased At:   Bike Swap in high school

Submitted by Tom a Weekend Warrior from La, california, usa

Date Reviewed: August 26, 2005

Strengths:    Very good on the climbs, never had a problem on climbing really steep trails, the downhill is so good and the bike just gets you so confident while going down. the frame is sooooo good. It's light, it's the sturdiest i have ever had and accelerates like nothing i have ever ridden.

Weaknesses:    The bike is a little stiff on long rides.

Bottom Line:
This bike is the best ever!!! It's frame is sooo sturdy and the components aren't so bad. for the money, this bike is the best. The fork however was disappointing. This is like the best bike out there, what is the low end fork doing on it? This bike is very good for people serious about riding but may get expensive if bought brand new for just the weekends

Purchased At:   local shop

Bike Setup:   Planning on changing the quadra to a SID

Submitted by Nick from Akron OH USA

Date Reviewed: June 26, 2003

Bottom Line:
I'm not sure what year mine is. I've had it for 3 months and i paid $750 for it. It has Hayes hydraulics brakes, SX-R forks, bontrager crank and wheels, and i just replaced the rear derailleur with an XTR. This is my first mountain bike and i'm in love. I give them bike two thumbs up for just being so awesome. I love it. Planned upgrades include race face cranks, psylo sl forks, and a different headset. I believe any beginner should start on this bike because of price and quality.

Submitted by Christopher Porter a Cross Country Rider from Rochester, MA

Date Reviewed: March 26, 2001

Strengths:    Light, decent components, great hard tail, fun to ride.

Weaknesses:    The head set sucks so bad,I broke mine on the third day of hard riding, a friend of mine had the same experience, get a King you'll be golden.

Bottom Line:
great bike fun to ride trails, race, or just hop around but the headset is a piece. Well worth the dough. I've been riding it for almost two years and I havent' had many problems.

Favorite Trail:   knob job

Purchased At:   Cezars

Similar Products Used:   Ridden many mtn. bikes too many to list, carbonfiber, aluminum, etc.

Bike Setup:   Mostly stock, clipless, etc.

Submitted by fisher king a Racer from IL,Belvidere

Date Reviewed: October 24, 1999

Strengths:
solid frame
light
great parts for money
cool colors

Weaknesses:
havent found one except
it makes the girlfriend
jealous

Bottom Line:
This bike is the best bike I have ever rode.
Nothing can compare for the bucks.By one everyone
will stop and stare and ask questions but the ride
is awsome and wont dissapoint.

rockcut

6 months

every hardtail in its
class and nothing
compared

team issue frame all
stock right now but just
wait

Submitted by BoneDigger a Cross-Country Rider from Tyler, TX

Date Reviewed: July 5, 1999

Strengths:
light
corners well
good components

Weaknesses:
A little sloppy on down hill runs

Bottom Line:
I upgraded to this bike (used 96 model)from a lower end Trek (800 Sport) and have been amazed at the difference. I will be using this bike for racing and leisure use. I have been very satisfied with this product. The only problem is a slight sloppiness on a down hill run. Other than that, it's great for the price.

Tyler State Park

less than 1 month

Too many to list

1996 Gary Fisher Paragon
upgrades:
Marzocchi Bomber Z2 forks, V-brakes; grip shifter

Submitted by B.J. Knabenshue a Cross-Country Rider from Morgantown, WV

Date Reviewed: June 25, 1999

Strengths:
Frame Design, Weight, Customer Service

Weaknesses:
Schwag Paint, Fork

Bottom Line:
An amzing bike for the dough. I've put my first year in, hosed the crap Indy SL and put a super plush SX-R (Factory was out of Ti, and the bike can more than afford the weight, I am just over 24 lbs w/ stock drivetrain) The frame is an excellent foundation for any high end drivetrain. I'm starving myself so that I can afford the Raceface, XTR, Real and Mavic 9 spd. drivetrain I've configured. My paint chipped off right after I started riding, but Fisher has offered me a new paint job (after my 1 yr paint warranty expired), and even the option for a semi-custom....it's going to be pretty sweet. I give Mr. Fisher 5 big habaneros for the awesome Genesis Geo. Program frame....I don't think there is a finer hardtail out there

Pine Ridge, KSF, Chas., WV

1 Year

Spec. Stumpjumper M2

Stock Bike Manitou SX-R

Submitted by TheExecutor a Cross-Country Rider from Chicago

Date Reviewed: April 26, 1999

Strengths:
You get what you pay for and more.

Weaknesses:
Not much!!!!!

Bottom Line:
I ot the bike in the spring of 98 and got it for a song $800 clams.I traded in my old trek 1000 that I had for 3 years. I have had the bike now for a year, and I fell in love with it. I made a few upgrades this year I put all shimano XTR component set Rear and front Derailer and shifter set. I also canged the head set to a criss king. and put a race face seat post. also put my old spinergy wheel set with syncros skewers. The frame rocks and he bike is about ten times cooler. I fall in lve with this bike mor and more all the time.

City and country riding

1 Year

The best buy of it's class of bikes.

I put 98 marzocchi z-2 atom bomb, syncros crank set and stem and also a race face crome BB.

Submitted by Brett a Cross-Country Rider from Angels Camp, CA

Date Reviewed: April 14, 1999

Strengths:
Everything, especially Price ($720+$150 for shock swap)

Weaknesses:
Original Cranks (Sugino)suck, so do icon pedals, but since the bike was cheap, (Closeout sale), I don't mind, because I can use the $ I saved to get tasty upgrades

Bottom Line:
This bike rocks after a month, I know it's going to serve me well. Since I got such a great deal on the 98, I have made awesome upgrades to create a 21.5 lb XC machine, all for under $2200. Can think of no better deal. The bike handles great on singletrack, especially on the climbs. Carbon Shock is awesome. Nice and light, no stickiness, plush from the get-go. Love this bike!

Romero Canyon

less than 1 month

Stumpjumper, Paragon 99, Hookooekoo 98

Manitou SX Carbon shock, Raceface Crankset, RF Ti BB, Mavic 517 with Hugi, Upgraded Cockpit, XTR Ti Cassette, Gripshifters and Derailleur.

Submitted by John Glass a cross-country rider from Iowa City, IA

Date Reviewed: January 29, 1999

Bottom Line:

I gave this bike a pretty good thrashing in 98 and I didnt have any problems at all. The only maintenance I did was oiling the chain and washing off all the mud. I have an XL due to my size (6'5 200lbs) and the genenis geometry works great. The only weak points can be found in the fork (Judy T2) and pedals (Icon). But overall this bike really rocks. Super fast... ultra light .... and soooo solid..... What more could you ask for?

Submitted by Dave Archer a cross-country rider from Memphis

Date Reviewed: October 26, 1998

Bottom Line:

Wow, this much fun will be outlawed one of these days! I upgraded from a Katai and this is soooo much easier to ride, especially climbing. And I think stopping and falling over only three times on your first ride with clippless pedals is quite an accomplishment. I think riding with an 8 year old leading me helped some. Great bike!!!!!!!!!

Submitted by Dave Manganis a weekend warrior from Boston MA.

Date Reviewed: October 26, 1998

Bottom Line:

For all of you who own the '98 Paragon, you should have waited for the '99! I know what you're all thinking. Why did they paint it yellow?? I have to say, the new color had to grow on me. The component group however took no time at all to fall for. The wheels on last year's were sweet, and this year they're even better. The black annodized spokes are a super nice touch, along with the annodized cranks to match, also from Bontrager. I love this bike so much, I took the picture of it from Fisher's website and set it as wallpaper. If you want to drop $1,100 on a bike, drop it the same place I did.

Bike Rack for the Paragon

Hey all, Thought I post here opposed to the Car and BIke forum. I have an 2009 Paragon medium (17.5). I recently put a 2" hitch on my car for a bike rack. I went to buy a used Yamika bike rack but I noticed my bike would not fit. The bars were to far apart to get the bike in. This was a rack the ... Read More »

Time for G2 SS Bike- Rig or Paragon with Rennen???

Okay, here is my question to all you Rig owners at or over 200 lbs. How much of an issue (if any) is there with the Rig EBB slipping? If you had it to do over again, would you go Rig or one of the other frames with a Rennen Tensioner? I'm wanting a reliable, non headache SS bike. I'm going to run ... Read More »

Planet Bike Cascadia 29er Fenders for a Paragon

Has anyone been able to fit Planet Bike Cascadia 29er fenders on the back tire of the GF 2007 Paragon? I was told this might be a problen because the seat post is too close to the tire and there might not be enough room? StanksRead More »

Paragon sliders or ti bike owners (x-post)

I recently just built up a new titanium 29er as a single with paragon sliders. When the bike is in the stand no rub. Sitting on the bike while riding=rub. Standing forward like while climbing, little to no rub. :confused: And I'm not a big power guy. Has anybody using the paragon sliders on any mate ... Read More »

Paragon sliders or ti bike owners (x-post)

I recently just built up a new titanium 29er as a single with paragon sliders. When the bike is in the stand no rub. Sitting on the bike while riding=rub. Standing forward like while climbing, little to no rub. :confused: And I'm not some big power guy. Has anybody using the paragon sliders on any m ... Read More »