Gary Fisher Montare Bike Bike 1998 or Older

4.24/5 (41 Reviews)

Montare

Submitted by kw

Date Reviewed: November 13, 2012

Strengths:    unique downtube

Weaknesses:    no shocks

Bottom Line:
Actually curious as to the original MSRP on the 1992 Gary fisher Montaire and or a good resource for current market values for resale on older bikes etc. I have a 1992 in excellent shape and saw a guy on Ebay listing one that he says has never been used for $2,299. seems way high but really have no way of knowing??? any ideas out there?? thnx KW

Submitted by John Judy a Weekend Warrior from rich va usa

Date Reviewed: August 17, 2009

Strengths:    The frame is outstanding, I rode my 94 all across the US.It took all I could throw at it for 10 years after I put on new hubs and bb.

Weaknesses:    bb hubs(front and rear within 90 days) and bb

Bottom Line:
I love this bike and I would walk into Agees back in March of 1994 and buy it again.

Favorite Trail:   blacks canyon teton co.

Purchased At:   agees

Bike Setup:   manitou 2 fork, ringle hubs, nukeproof bars, all the rest is stock.

Submitted by Ian Bowles a Weekend Warrior from Leeds, UK

Date Reviewed: May 27, 2006

Strengths:    29ers are great fun. cut thru anthing.Fast and furious.

Weaknesses:    Headset, Forks, bottom bracket.

Bottom Line:
A great frame. Wheels make for a lot of fun. However, after one year I've replaced the headset, bottom bracket and those poor entry level manitou forks. They fell to bits! Now have roc shox which set me back £350 due to poor market supply for 29ers.Really disappointed all in all and wish i'd bought something else.when will we be seeing more 29er replacement parts? Difficult just to get inner tubes!

Favorite Trail:   Love em all!

Purchased At:   Chevin Cycles, Otley, UK

Submitted by Carlyle a Weekend Warrior from Ocilla, GA, USA

Date Reviewed: February 11, 2006

Strengths:    Well I guess the frame is alright, but I have never punished a bicycle to the extreme that the frame might bend and probably never will. I bought the bicycle brand new hoping to get a reliable bike with a reputable brand from a dependable dealer. My first 50 miles of riding were excellent. The bike just goes with what seemed less effort to pedal. I really enjoyed riding it.

Weaknesses:    Then the problems started. First the front presta valve stem separated from the tube leaving me a flat. I live in a remote area so getting a replacement tube wasn't easy. Anyway I get a replacement tube with a shrader valve and convert the rim to fit it. I just hate presta stems, they're too clumsy for me to deal with. All is well again for a couple of months, then one day I go out and find the rear tire flat. This time the fibers in the tire separated allowing the tube to pop through and explode. The bike is only 2 years old and has only 50 miles on it. I just would have expected the tires to last a lot longer than this. The front and rear tire by the way have lots of minature cracks along the edges. I e-mailed Gary Fisher to address the issue but they insisted the tire failure is not their problem and refused to replace them. So much for the reputable brand. Now I have to buy new tires and a new tube before I can ride again.

Bottom Line:
If you've just bought a late model Gary Fisher Montare with IRC tires, look foward to replacing them and the tubes soon as they will simply just fall apart as mine did. If you were expecting to get great support from Gary Fisher after having paid over a thousand dollars for the Montare you can forget it as they do not back up the products they sell.

Favorite Trail:   County Paved Road

Purchased At:   Valdosta Bike Center

Similar Products Used:   Wal-Mart brand 10- speed Murray. Probably about 15 years old, still have it and the original tires still hold air.

Bike Setup:   Bontrager rims
IRC Mythos Slick CX 700x42C replaced with Maxxis Overdrive 700x38C

Submitted by Robert Pippin a Weekend Warrior from Ft. Collins, Co

Date Reviewed: August 6, 2002

Strengths:    Killer frame, great for fat guy

Weaknesses:    bottom bracket

Bottom Line:
Wheels suck. They never stay true, but since I bought this bike used, I don't know if those are the ones that came with it. They are about to be upgraded. This bike had a straight fork when I bought it, so I added the Z2 after bending the fork. The components are crap, but I added Avid V-brakes, and all is well with stopping me now. It is a 14.5" frome. Some would say too small for a 6' tall guy who weighs 250 lbs, but I like the versitility and flexability of the small frame, not to mention it feels a little tougher to me. A new headset, neck, bars, ends, grip shifters helped the size issue, and I am overall very happy. That is until the bottom bracked broke and put my left crank on the ground during a decent. Bottom bracket seems to be an issue with these bikes though...

Favorite Trail:   the "A-trail"

Purchased At:   recycled cycles

Similar Products Used:   used to own a Bridgestone MB3 in the day...

Bike Setup:   Bontrager rims, upgraded avid v-brakes, hard seat, Atom Bomb Z2 fork, aggressive fatty tires, soon-to-be new bottom bracket and a smile :)

Submitted by Jon Boy a Cross-Country Rider from Wakefield, RI

Date Reviewed: November 29, 1999

Strengths:
One tough frame.

Weaknesses:
Origional component group.

Bottom Line:
This bike is one serious frame. It's one of Fisher's best in my opinion. I threw on AC hubs, solid rims, and slowly scrapped the rest of the components along the way. With a lighter wheelset and components I've dropped it down around 23lbs. I loved the paint at first, but over time (and plenty of NE rocks) it's starting to look like an old nag. It's always had some flex in the bottom bracket, but it's often a nice thing when riding an aluminum hardtail over rock gardens. It's one of the best bikes I've ever climbed with and will have a fitting funeral when I finally retire it next year.

Several in Arcadia Mgmt Area

2 Years

GT Avalanche and Zaskar, Schwinn Homegrown, Specialized Stumpjumper Comp.

Raceface Cranks, 99 Manitou SX, XTR shifters, Avid Brakes, AC / Mavic wheelset, King headset

Submitted by Hari Astu Anggoro a Weekend Warrior from I N D O N E S I A

Date Reviewed: May 29, 1999

Strengths:
This bike is strong enough in frame, i like it.

Weaknesses:
I always have a problem with my bottom bracket. After i bought my Montare in 1994, i really enjoy it, but after six months,the problem came in bottom bracket. The bike is became heavy to ride although i had given maintenance in it. I have changed ball bearings in bottom bracket, but it's still heavy to ride. Now i never use my Montare again in events.

Bottom Line:
What is solution for my bottom bracket, because i really want to ride my Montare again.

Hardtrail

more than 3 years

Kona Cindercone that i bought one year after my montare is more comfort and easy handle

Gary Fisher Montare

Submitted by Jon Judson a Cross-Country Rider from Woodbury Heights, NJ

Date Reviewed: April 9, 1999

Strengths:
Great frame.Not too heavy.Bead blast finish is the next best thing to brushed titanium.

Weaknesses:
Component group a little weak.

Bottom Line:
Took the frame and dumped everything else. A great bike to build on. One of the best aluminum frames in the biz. The bead blast finish is fantastic and durable. Wish Fisher would have stuck to it for his new funny-lookin' bikes (a little too mod squad for me).

Gary Fisher Montaire
WTB SST Seat
Velociraptor Tires

Submitted by roy a Weekend Warrior from Easthampton,Ma

Date Reviewed: April 2, 1999

Strengths:
Killer frame

Weaknesses:
kinda heavy (29.9) back in 86 ish.

Bottom Line:
till gary sold to trek ( my last) bike, i have stayed forever with the fish, but now, ill take the best deal i can git for the doller.

any i git to

one a the first mt. bikes about. 775 east coast with deore XT everything

Submitted by Jeremy Howe a weekend warrior from Alton Bay N.H.

Date Reviewed: March 8, 1999

Bottom Line:

I bought a 98 Montare last summer. The price wasn't to bad. I have done some crzy stuff so far and dont have many complaints except for the mavric rims.
They warp really easy, ecspecially after the had been trued a couple times. Other than that this has been my best bike yet.

Submitted by Nate Clark from Raleigh, NC

Date Reviewed: January 27, 1999

Bottom Line:

I got a 97 Montare for a great price at the end of the year. The bike is great, never any problems. One compliant, Fisher spec'd some sketchy stuff on the otherwise great frame. Those heavy Trek wheels suck. I snapped the front one and the rear got so bad it couldn't even be trued any more. So I replaced those along with almost everything else on the bike. I'm lucky to work in a bike shop so I can get good stuff for real cheap! I've replaced the entire drivetrain with XT, including cranks and hubs. Needless to say , clipless pedals were the first to be added. Overall, I'm very happy with my bike now. It's essentially only the frame, fork and shifters that are the same but now I have a bike that rocks. And besides, half the fun of having a bike is to be able to upgrade and work on it.

Submitted by jtbedard from md

Date Reviewed: October 27, 1998

Bottom Line:

Well, I still like the bike, but not as much with a couple of twisted links and a couple of teeth snapped clean off the middle ring...guess I don't know my own strength...

Submitted by jtbedard from MD

Date Reviewed: October 20, 1998

Bottom Line:

Got a deal I just couldn't pass on, so I picked up a close-out special of around 700.00 for a '97 Montare with the Manitou Pro and standard hardware. This bike handles my size (~220lbs), and tracks beautifully. After riding GT for years, I now know what is like to be able to go uphills too. Remarkably, while not as fast as a GT or similar stretch-frame bike, it still blows by my friend's KHS Comp. I like it more the more I get out on it, but I don't quite love it yet. I think I'd buy it all over again, but me in a bike shop is like a kid in a candy store, so who knows.

Submitted by Greg a cross-country rider from Mankato, MN

Date Reviewed: September 4, 1998

Bottom Line:

I purchased a 1994 Montare frame (new) last summer and built it up with an XT kit. I am very pleased with the light weight of the bike and am happy with its handling characteristics. The 6061 aluminum is straight gauge and very responsive without feeling excessively stiff. All said and done I'm very content with this bike and plan to ride it until something new and shiny catches my eye.

Submitted by T-Bone a cross-country rider from Atlanta, ga

Date Reviewed: July 27, 1998

Bottom Line:

I need some help.....I bought a Montare from a buddy for pennies and am not even sure what year it is. 93 or 94. It has the elevated chain stays and brazed on front deraileur hanger. To make a short story long.....It is the most responsive bike I have ridden and am in a dilemna with the upgrading. I put a manitou SX, XT wheels and shifters with great success. My next move is a compact crankset and front deraileur but the braze on hanger is a problem and the seat tube is oval as it gets to the bottom bracket. To me, the bike is worth the upgrades and I would appreciate any suggestions........

Found a bike in the storage: Gary Fisher Montare

Hi. New member/rider here. I found my dad's Gary Fisher Montare in the storage a few nights ago. We tried researching information, but came out unsuccessful. Just trying to figure out what year it is. Any info would be greatly appreciated. [IMG]http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb219/guevara_ho ... Read More »