Gary Fisher Mamba Bike Bike 1998 or Older

4.11/5 (45 Reviews)

Mamba

Submitted by liamb322

Date Reviewed: November 8, 2012

Strengths:    The frame can handle anything.

Weaknesses:    The headset is awful, the wheels are awful. The fork doesn't do much at all.

Bottom Line:
I got this used from my mom when I was 12. This was before I knew that not all bikes were ment to be ridden off rock walls, jumped, and then neglected by a kid with no experience. After a couple of years, the headset was stripped and dead, and the wheels were completely out of true. I am now 16, and rebuilding the mamba as a rigid single speed. It has served me well.

Submitted by Mike a Weekend Warrior from Jacksonville

Date Reviewed: December 6, 2004

Strengths:    Fairly light for Cromoly....takes a good beating.

Weaknesses:    Hey, it ain't no Tassajara or Big Sur! Weak shock! The crankset comes with stamped chainrings so you can't really change them out!

Bottom Line:
This is a good price for a beater and commuter. Most of the components were pretty good since the guy that sold them to me added a few upgrades. I take this to the light trails and hit the road making my 11 mi round trip to work - some road and curbs. I also manage to keep up with my friend who has a 98 Big Sur. We are not hard core, but think some trails are a blast!!

The shock is pretty weak as it only gives like an inch or so, but hey, i'm not hitting 5 foot drops either. It's a lot better than a straight fork that I had on my Tassajara before it got stolen.

A good price for a bike. When the cranks give out, I'm moving to something better, and may only go single speed up front.

Favorite Trail:   Guana Park/Hanna Park

Purchased At:   Ebay

Similar Products Used:   GT Talera, Tassajara, Big Sur

Bike Setup:   XT R Derailleur, LX F Derailler, LX V Brakes, STX Shifters, Alivio Cranks, Rock Shox Quad 5, GEAX Sedona 200 Tires

Submitted by Skwidboy a Cross Country Rider from Rocklin, Ca USA

Date Reviewed: June 11, 2002

Strengths:    The price of the product initally drew me into purchasing the Mamba, however, this was going to be my first bike. The fram is awesome for larger riders. Sturdy Steed!

Weaknesses:    Quality of componentry. I have had nothing but problems with the original components on this bike. But for the price one can always up grade! The seat post is impossible to replace (odd size post), low quality with bizzar bolt location. Seat is firm but for the road not too bad

Bottom Line:
This is a great bike if you have the time to ride and invest in upgrades, however, the stock parts served for three months before the upgrades began. i would reccomed this steed to a beginning rider who would like to enter the world of mountain biking with little investments. Great Bike! If your a heavier rider this beefy frame will withstand anything you can throw at it.

Favorite Trail:   any

Purchased At:   Copelands Sports

Similar Products Used:   First Bike -- Switching over to a Specialized Hardrock Pro--

Bike Setup:   Powertools four bolt stem (Azonic Shorty knockoff), Johny Tomac Tenacious D Bars, Race Face Grips (Good vs. Evil), Koski Brake lite Pros (front & rear), IRC Mythos Kevlar tires, Stock Rims. Topo Gel Tour Saddle (Siimilar to Selle Itallia SLR). Topo Clipless pedals (Similar to SPD series)---Switching Components to lx/xt soon.--

Submitted by Kevin a Cross Country Rider from Moscow,m ID, USA

Date Reviewed: May 27, 2002

Strengths:    Indestructible steel frame. Drivetrain does a great job for the price.

Weaknesses:    Cheap rims. Cantilever breaks.

Bottom Line:
This bike has been my main transportation for the last five years. I've dropped it off cliffs, crashed it in ways that ended me up in the hospital, and taken it on 40 and 50 mile cross country jaunts in the back end of nowhere (in NW Montana). Once I junked the original rims I never had another problem with the bike.

I changed out the stock cantilever breaks for V-breaks, a couple years back, but I'm not sure it was worth the trouble. If you go this route, deffinitely get a booster. I can squeeze the rear break lever and watch the seat stays deflect almost 1/4".

Purchased At:   BikeRite

Similar Products Used:   Entire Trek line (I work in a shop)

Bike Setup:   Stock except Vuelta breaks, Sun Rims 0deg, WTB velocoraptors, Tioga power-studs bar ends.

Submitted by Wisen Hiemer from Richmond, Va. USA

Date Reviewed: November 21, 2001

Strengths:    PRICE

Weaknesses:    HEAD SET AND RIMS

Bottom Line:
Not bad for 300 bills. It takes a pretty good ass beating.
The head set really blows, but I was able to get a new one and have the threads cleaned up and installed for $40.00.
I need a rim tuning, but all in all great bike for the price. For God sakes it was $300

Favorite Trail:   PO FARM PAAARK and THE RIVAH

Purchased At:   Agee's

Bike Setup:   AS BOUGHT

Submitted by Dudek Wojtek a Cross Country Rider from Warsaw, POLAND

Date Reviewed: September 18, 2001

Strengths:    Very strong frame and good Acera. Last summer I used Altus C-10, but this one is mooore better!

Weaknesses:    Weight of complete bike (with baggage) is upfff:)

Bottom Line:
Very strong frame and good Acera. Last summer I used Altus C-10, but this one is mooore better! Weight of complete bike (with baggage) is upfff:) Frame yellow-black, front-Post Moderne, Acera (21 speeds). Next weekend I'll test my new Mamba in Kampinos Herbst Runde (around Kampinos National Park, almost 200 km per a day). Then we'll see, how strong is this product of Gary's Factory!!! :)

Favorite Trail:   Cross-country trip Warsaw-Augustow (300 km per a day)

Purchased At:   SkiTeam-Warsaw

Bike Setup:   Frame yellow-black, front-Post Moderne, Acera (21 speeds)

Submitted by Brian Dolezalek a Weekend Warrior from Aurora, CO

Date Reviewed: September 28, 1999

Strengths:
All-around good value, and should be a good resale bike to get for those in the used bike market

Weaknesses:
Brakes are a little soft, bike is a git on the heavy side, the seat's a friggin' rock

Bottom Line:
All-around great bike at the price. I got mine for a bit over $400, which was cheaper than the going rate at the time. Mike Morissey's review (seee below is pretty much spot-on, not much to add really! Apparently we even have the same pedal system, the Speedplay Frog (see my review of this great system). How's that for eerie? I'm not sure how much more to upgrade it; the Rock Shox bottom-of-the-line shocks are not horribly useful, but by the time you get done buying new Indys or Judys for it you're halfway to buying a new bike! A friend of mine did the Indys along with a new set of V-brakes for his; the Indys are nice but I know I'd kill myself with those Vs by stopping too suddenly! Anyway, the only thing I'd add is that the stock seat really does bite, get a new Trico or Avocet at your earliest convenience if you buy this bike used. Other stock parts are fine, Shimano and WTB pretty much all the way around. Good value!

2 Years

This was my 1st mountain bike!

Stock except for Bontrager handlebar guards and Speedplay Frog pedal system

Submitted by Mike Morrissey a cross-country rider from Central New York State, USofA

Date Reviewed: March 5, 1999

Bottom Line:

I've had my 1997 Mamba for a little bit over two years. It's a sweet ride. The steel frame is very nice... and it whips the pants off of any comparable mongoose, trek, giant, etc. I do have a few complaints about it. The brakes are weak. The tires, however have served me well. The Rock Shox Quadra 5 shock is fairly weak as well, though it's better than a hard fork. The cockpit of the bike is really stretched out, and that's good. I think it feels a lot better than being confined into a gt or trek. The graphics on this bike are cool too. The strapping pedals are good for a new biker, something to work with. I have upgraded to Speedplay Frog pedals, which are very nice. I kind of wish this bike was threadless, but when i bought it there weren't many bikes at this price range with threadless forks. Overall, I give it 5 flaming corpses, because it is such a blast to ride around!

Submitted by Bob Marley a weekend warrior from Canada

Date Reviewed: February 25, 1999

Bottom Line:

It is a very goob bike for yhe price. I own 2 and I really like them very much!! I am considering buyin 2 mmore cause I tink dis bik is soooo good!!!

Submitted by Rodger Coale a cross-country rider from Paso Robles, CA

Date Reviewed: January 3, 1999

Bottom Line:

Second winter with my Momba, a lot of problems last year, but I ride hard on a lot of mud. At 6'3'/210 and in good shape I push this bike. Within a month the back rim was bad. chepe spokes broke every ride. 3 months the front hub was gone. Brakes won't stop me on hard down hill after they are wet. Two clips were pure junk. Frame seems heavy and I hesitated to spend any money on upgrades. After two major wipouts, Down hill clipless, I had to put on wheels. Went wth Mavic 521s, new front hubs and good spokes and niples. Helped a lost. Shock is junk and so is brakes and shifters. I am not sure if the frame is woth upgrading anymore or not. Seems too front heavy and end overs are always pending. I may just junk it and stat over.

Submitted by Ben Cox a weekend warrior from Bend, OR

Date Reviewed: August 7, 1998

Bottom Line:

This is by far the most comfortable mid-priced mountain bike I just got mine for
$459.00 from Mountain Cycle in Redmond Oregon. The reason for it being so cheap was because it was a left over from last year but it is brand new. I love to ride because the Rock Shox on the front keep my back from getting messed up. I highly recomend this bike to whoever reads this.

Submitted by Emre a cross-country rider from New York

Date Reviewed: June 25, 1998

Bottom Line:

The frame is nice. The parts suck. I upgraded to XT rapidfire shiftres/brakelever combo , XT brakes, XT cranks and a XT freewheel( I realy like XT ) . The shoxs suck I upgraded to Manitou FS-TI lmtd. edtn. Stroker, same as th ones that Shaun Palmer uses. After about 100 miles of use the pedals resin body broke, so I went to the shop that I got it at and he took $15 dollars of Icon clipless pedals for its replacement value and they work great. And the got they got the weight, it's realy 28.0 lbs. I gave it 3 stars in its original condition, but after upgrades my bike is now is 6 stars

Submitted by Gavin Henderson a cross-country rider from Valparaiso,IN

Date Reviewed: June 17, 1998

Bottom Line:

I just got a Mamba today. It is great!!!!!!! Before I had a lot of trouble keeping up with my friends. They have a Canondale, GT, and a Schwin. Now I am able to keep up with them easily. And they like my bike. The shifting is a lot easier then my old bike, a Mongoose. The mamba is awesome!!!!!!

Submitted by Rogan Hindmarch a weekend warrior from Johannesburg - South Africa

Date Reviewed: June 11, 1998

Bottom Line:

I got my Mamba 2 yrs ago and have made no mods to it as it doesnt need them.
I ride with a group of rich yuppies on Cannondales and whatevers- There bikes constantly need repairs and special attention.I've found that the harder I push my Mamba the sweeter it gets. I don't think there is anything I could'nt do with my Mamba.
Mambas forever!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Submitted by Jeff Cooper a weekend warrior from Colorado Springs

Date Reviewed: May 30, 1998

Bottom Line:

Hmm - Weekend warrior is a bit extreme for me. :-) I ride around the block before I need to stop for a butt and a brew.I bought my Mamba because my five year old was still on training wheels and I wanted to ride with her. I shopped high and low and looked at everything for less than $400.I actually thought that the Haro V2 was pretty cool, but ran aross this one in a pawn shop. I gave $200 for it, and it's like new. A GREAT bargain for me (I guess). I assume it's never been off road.I came looking on the web to see if I got screwed. Looks like for two bills I did okay....But compared to the other bikes out there in this class, I'd still think this is a good bike...Better than the Haro.

2012 kona kahuna or 2012 trek mamba. first bike in 20 yrs

sup yall. im curently trying to do my research :madman: and i think i have narowed down to these two bikes. the kona kahuna 2012 for around 1100. or the trek mamba 2012( i think ? or maybe its 2013 . flat black and gray color if that helps ) for around 900. im going to use my bike to ride with my ... Read More »

"which bike" thread-Trek Mamba or Cannondale SL3

Hi guys- Been reading like crazy and trying to figure out which bike to get as a first MTB that wont fall apart on me like the department store specials I've had in the past. I *think* I have it narrowed down to 2 units and they are literally $50 of one another price wise (Cannondale being more) ... Read More »

STOLEN BIKE-- 2012 Trek Mamba stolen in Asheville

My bike was stolen from the bike racks at UNCA sometime between Saturday night and Wednesday mid-afternoon. It's a 2012 model black Trek Mamba with a 23" frame. There was a Liberty Cycles branded supply pouch strapped to the back of it-- not sure if it's still there. One of the screws on one of the ... Read More »

First REAL bike - Cannondale SL4 vs Trek Mamba

Before this I had a Specialized Hard Rock rigid from year ~2000. My LBS has the Cannondale SL4 for $650 + tax Trek Mamba $850 + tax My friend was worried about the c-dale not having a name brand shock (rebuilds down the road?) and it not having hydraulic brakes. I don't have a lot of goo ... Read More »

Looking for an entry level bike - Mamba 29er versus Utopia

Picked up cycling this year - lost 78 pounds to date this year. Part of my campaign has been to cycle - at the gym, now in spin classes. Picked up an older Schwinn Alum Comp for cheap Ebay with my local LBS getting to a decent state. Have ridden around town (street), on vacation (Cape Cod and the b ... Read More »