Gary Fisher Joshua X Bike Bike 1998 or Older

4.44/5 (77 Reviews)

Gary Fisher Joshua X Bike

Submitted by Lee Christofferson a Downhiller from Tacoma, WA., U.S.

Date Reviewed: July 31, 2003

Strengths:    Built well, fast.

Weaknesses:    Rear suspension bob and a little heavy with a chrome rear swingarm. Not made for any big drops.

Bottom Line:
I use this bike to commute, xc, and train. I've put over a couple thousand miles on this bike. The rear bob when riding uphill is unusual and funny feeling but it helped my endurance and strength. I think with a better rear shock the problem can be solved. Also the single pivot rear suspension is easy to maintain. This is a good moderate level riders full suspension bike.

Favorite Trail:   urban assalt

Purchased At:   Bike Tech

Similar Products Used:   Rocky Mountain Pro Series

Bike Setup:   Manitou Pro X front fork, rock shock delux rear shock, LX hubs with Mavic rims, XT cranks, XT front and rear derailleurs, Sram shorty attack shifters, Shimano v-brakes and also splined bottom barcket and clip in pedals. Set up with single front light, vetta comp., rear light, and rear fender.I'm using semislick tires and this is a 1997 Joshua X1

Submitted by Tyler a Weekend Warrior from Lethbridge, Alberta, Canada

Date Reviewed: September 8, 2000

Strengths:    Good handling. Beefy frame. It is a solid ride. I like the Genisis geometry.

Weaknesses:    None yet.

Bottom Line:
Great freeriding bike. I'm short so the size was perfect. Handles really good on tight downhill single track, and through trees and stuff. Beefy frame. Holds up good to the jumps. This is a good bike for a weekend freerider or urban assult ninja.
It could be used for dual slalom too. It handles so good in the turns. The stock fork was alright, but longer travel is better.

Favorite Trail:   The Muff, Kodiak Carnage, Ewok Village

Purchased At:   Ascent Cycle

Similar Products Used:   Schwinn Four Banger, GT LTS

Bike Setup:   Fisher Joshua F3, Marzocchi Bomber Z3, RaceFace crank, Tioga Factory DH tires, Crowbar riser.

Submitted by Brian Gregory a Weekend Warrior from Old Bridge, NJ

Date Reviewed: April 19, 2000

Strengths:    Tight single trac

Weaknesses:    The OEM front and rear shocks.

Bottom Line:
I have a 98 X1 and I love the bike. I’ve had it since 98 and I have upgraded much of the bike’s components. The bike now has a Marzocchi Z1 Alloy with a Hayes hydraulic disc, Mavic wheels with XT hubs, White Bros. Ti riser bar, XTR front derailer, XT rear, XTR shift pods, Easton CT2 carbon fiber seat post, WTB clipless peddles, Continental traction pros front and rear and a RCR T1 rear shock. This bike rocks and eats up anything I can throw at it. With the new shock and NOW correct spring it no longer does the pogo thang! The rock shock deluxe that was on there just plain old sucked (plus it was leaking for about a year) so I replaced it with the RCR T1 (coil over) which was recommended to my by the fine folks at the Bicycle Co.

The bike is not the lightest but it’s a stellar all mountain bike. Nuff said!!

Favorite Trail:   Hartshorn park

Bike Setup:   See the bottom line.

Submitted by Hugh A a Cross-Country Rider from Austin, TX

Date Reviewed: December 11, 1999

Strengths:
Durable, rear shock lockout, Comfortable

Weaknesses:
Took awhile to get seat height right
Seat post tends to slip

Bottom Line:
I am a heavy(200+) rider and this bike has held up well in some very rough and rocky terrain. Good value for the $. I was worried about structural integrity, but two years and plenty of rough riding later, there are no frame problems. The forks are durable. I just completed a 24 hr event, and a teamate on a FSR had major problems. I had none.

Forest Ridge, Austin

2 Years

Trek 950

Joshua XO
Rock Shox Judy and Deluxe

Submitted by Mavins a Weekend Warrior from Asheville, N.C.

Date Reviewed: November 15, 1999

Strengths:
Nice cockpit
Comfortable Descents

Weaknesses:
Slight bob with Deluxe rear shock

Bottom Line:
Last week I went for a nice ride with an elavation Change of 1200' over a couple of miles. At first I wished I had brought My Hardtail but after screwing the rear shock down and adjusting my clumsy stride I got My 97 X1 to climb. The down hill is were my butt thanked me I was psyched to actualy use my seat on a downhill. This bike will hold its own if the suspension is utilized.

less than 1 month

Gary Fisher Wahoo Hard Tail

Manitou Pro Front shock
Deluxe Rear

Submitted by Mike a Weekend Warrior from Bear, DE

Date Reviewed: September 16, 1999

Strengths:
PRICE

Weaknesses:
Weight

Bottom Line:
Seems smooth, quick and nimble compared to my Rockhopper FS. Problem with pogo-ing. Can someone tell me how to set-up the suspension for a 180 lb. rider? On offer from a neighbor and if I can sort out the rear suspension, $650 seems a bargain (and 5 flaming hot ones). If I can't sort this out, I won't buy and would rate 3. If anyone has guidance on setting this up, please let me know.

tested or demo'ed only

no other DS

SRAM 9.0
Judy 100 Hydracoil
RS Deluxe rear
XT everything else
Few other minor weight saving upgrades

Submitted by Flying Fabe a Weekend Warrior from Ottawa, Canada

Date Reviewed: August 19, 1999

Strengths:
Great looks, good balance, sexy poise.

Weaknesses:
Could use some component upgrades.

Bottom Line:
After much decision making, I chose this bike to take me off the beaten path, and so far, I have had a ball beating new paths. Rides like a Timex (takes a licking, and keeps on ticking). I had some problems with the seatpost binder quick release set-up, but a change to an Allen Key bolt has fixed that bother. The XO rides like a dream, and has probably saved my sorry butt on more than one occassion. I would highly recommend it to others.

1 Year

Gary Fisher Joshua XO, stock componentry.

Submitted by Mark a Weekend Warrior from Rochester, NY

Date Reviewed: August 19, 1999

Strengths:
Looks, Control

Weaknesses:
Structural integrity

Bottom Line:
Overall I've love the bike. I feel at one with it on all terrain. Doesn't hurt that it turns a lot of heads also. Last week I developed a crack underneath where the main tube connects to the head tube. I originally bought the bike as a demo from Killington ski resort so I'm SOL as far as a warranty. I'm having the crack welded this week. We'll see what happens...

Killington, VT #6, #11, & #18

1 Year

Gary Fisher Big Sur & Level Betty, Specialized Rockhopper

Stock X0, added Marzocchi Z2 Bomber and Shimano 545 pedals.

Submitted by Ozzie a Weekend Warrior from Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Date Reviewed: July 30, 1999

Strengths:
Good shocks, Good looks, Good climber for a FS bike.

Weaknesses:
Stock component mix (STX/LX/XT Groupo), The smallest size is still too big.

Bottom Line:
Awesome bike. Especially for first-time Full-Suspension riders (like myself). Didn't like the stock components. Gary Fisher needs to stay consistent with one Groupo per bike type. But I bought it coz' it was on sale. Upgraded BB and Crankset to XT. Awesome paint job. Haven't scratched it heavily from crashing except for the XT rear derailleur. But that's because I'm getting used to the Clipless Pedals.

less than 1 month

98' Joshua XO, Rock Shox Judy T2 Front, Rock Shox Deluxe Rear, Bontrager Wheelset w/ Gary Fisher Front Hub and STX Rear Hub, Avid 1.0 Brakes, M747 Clipless Pedals, Shimano STX/LX/XT Groupo, Panaracer Classic Dart Front Smoke Rear.

Submitted by PALADIN a Weekend Warrior from RENO, NV

Date Reviewed: July 19, 1999

Strengths:
I have only sampled the 98 xo and I thought that it was the best bike that i tried out. I am only regretfull that it was sold before i could purchase it. If somebody knows where i can get a great deal on a 98 or later fisher please help.

Bottom Line:
Great bike although i never had the chance to abuse it but if any riders in nevada can tell me where i could get a 98 or later model i would be greatly appreciative. At this moment my body is being rocked by my no suspension piece of garbage, but hey we work with what we can...... thanks all for your comments...

sugar pine tahoe trail not mapped

tested or demo'ed only

Submitted by Mario A. Javier C.E.T. a Weekend Warrior from Burlington, On

Date Reviewed: June 11, 1999

Strengths:
Price, excellent warranty, excellent dealer.

Weaknesses:
Choice of components

Bottom Line:
I owned this bike now since summer of 97 and I ride every other day in the summer and on trainer during the winter and rainy days. I changed most of the components that came with the bike. I felt the original components were good at the time, but it would be better with an upgrade. As time passed, things break and wear out, therefore I upgraded it to a new and better parts. The last upgrade I did was the replacement of the rear shock and it made the bike 2x as much better. Folks who owned a similar bike should upgrade to the RS SID. The warranty from GF and RS are superior (probably the reasons why I bought the SID, even though it was costly). I just recommended the Big Sur to my co-worker and she bought the bike and very pleased. So the bottom line is, if you want a hassle free bike, buy Gary Fisher. If you want a hassle free store, go to Cyclepath in Oakville and speak to John.

Hardwood hills

2 Years

Trek Y-11

96 RockShox Judy XC
99 RockShox SID rear
Shimano XT, Raceface Crank, Cane Creek C2

Submitted by JBSalinger a Weekend Warrior from Arcadia, RI

Date Reviewed: May 31, 1999

Strengths:
Light, Rock Shox Super Deluxe rear shock is plush

Weaknesses:
Climbs like crap, Slow acceleration,

Bottom Line:
Climbs like sh*t! when downward pressure is applied to cranks the rear wheel pulls away from the ground. My K2 and Intense are superior rides - it does ride well otherwise and is light and nimble - the Super Deluxe is sweet, and I love the chubby. I will sell this frame and use the components elsewhere

6 months

K2 5000, Intense Uzzi SL, Klein Mantra Race

XO frame with Girvin Chubby with dual stage Speed Springs, Mavic Cross max wheels, ESP 9.0sl, etc.

Submitted by Adam Schwantes a weekend warrior from Oneida WI USA

Date Reviewed: February 22, 1999

Bottom Line:

I bought my fisher xo 800$ it was the best deal at the time.But I have some complants the sugino crank is a peice of crap I bent it within a week so bad that it hit the chain stays when I pedled.Also the diacomp brakes go out of adjustment after evry ride, and the back shock expired quickly.I do admit I mainly freeride and do a lot of dirt and ramp jumping I also cross country race with it it works Ok for that but could use more travel for jumping. Over all it was a good first bike for the money.

Submitted by Stevie Ludlow a weekend warrior from High Wycombe, Bucks

Date Reviewed: January 21, 1999

Bottom Line:

Joshua X1 what can I say, first full suspension bike I've owned and its f***ing brilliant. Dont get pushed into the large size take the medium even if you are reasonably tall as you have better control. Nice countryside around here with lots of mud, possibly swap in the SUGINOs and get XT's throughout. Who cares if
Gary Fisher is owned by TREK if he produces bikes like this!...

Submitted by smitty a cross-country rider from massachussets

Date Reviewed: January 16, 1999

Bottom Line:

I'm not going to bash the fisher, but I honestly don't think it was the bike for me. Personally, I think it was a great bike. The frame deshign is light and and the suspension is plush, but not overlly plush. I was dissapointed that the frame was faulty, and now fisher is ripping me off with the change over costs etc, EVEN THOUGH ITS UNDER WARRANTY. Besides my own little problem, and it's lack of good climbing on hills, it is a good bike, so I give it four flaming chilis (if that's what they are)

Joshua X for first bike?

Hey guys this would be the first time owning a Mountain Bike. Im not looking to do anything serious just hit up trails on the weekend for fun.. its more of a cardio thing for me because I am a gym rat who loves to lift weights. Im 6'1 235 and have a chance to pick up the Gary Fisher Joshua X for 3 ... Read More »