Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo Bike Bike 1998 or Older

4.7/5 (230 Reviews)

Hoo Koo E Koo

Submitted by Tim C

Date Reviewed: April 6, 2013

Strengths:    Durable, frame and all components still in full working order after 26 years.

Weaknesses:    None.

Bottom Line:
Bought this baby in the summer of 1987 put on thousands of kms and still humming along. My 16 year old daughter now rides this classic in its original mint green glory.

Submitted by J. Zachariassen a All Mountain Rider from Fort Collins, CO

Date Reviewed: March 19, 2012

Strengths:    So, Bought my Fisher Hoo Koo EKoo in the late 1980's (say 1988-89) - and I still have it and still riding it year round...
And will not be selling it any time soon -- have to admit though not many original parts ...although frame, cables, handle-bars and seat
stand are original. Have had to get a couple of new cog sets and chains -- but then I ride 1 to 2 thousand miles a year...
Yeah, this is a great bike, and has lasted for 20+ years ...paint is very well chipped but that keeps any thieves away ...
bike looks old but is not . I tell friends and pro's that I ride an antique - an original Fisher , well an early model anyway....

Weaknesses:    None -- but must admit that I've alway's ridden town on this bike, but still almost 25 years is pretty darned good ...
Note: paid $800.00 in 1988/89 -- what would that be in 2012 ??

Bottom Line:
Great bike !! and it has lasted --- if Fisher and/or Trek want to send me a new model - great !!
But will still ride my old 1988/89 Hoo Koo E Koo

Favorite Trail:   Horestooth

Purchased At:   Cycle Transport

Bike Setup:   see above

Submitted by PisgahWorks a Cross Country Rider from Asheville

Date Reviewed: October 25, 2011

Strengths:    Have a 1987 like very new. A few nicks from moving and storing. Bike is all original and has hardly ever been ridden. Get in touch should you be interested. A collector should have it.

Weaknesses:    It's old school

Bottom Line:
You want this Hoo Koo? Email pisgahworks.

Favorite Trail:   Peach Landing

Purchased At:   private sale

Similar Products Used:   Marin somethingwoods. Just as old. Cro-Mo. Cool bike.

Bike Setup:   C'mon man

Submitted by pyoung a Weekend Warrior from Vancouver BC Canada

Date Reviewed: January 1, 2011

Strengths:    Strong frame, components also work as they should and have lasted well.

Bottom Line:
The 1997 Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo still had a chromoly steel frame, and the metallic red paint on mine still gleams. Love the handling of this bike both on trails and the urban jungle. At just under 27 pounds the way I've got it set up, it's nice and light. I much prefer the ride of my steel hardtail to an aluminum hardtail. And strong... I've taken a few downhill tumbles and the bike has survived with no issues. (My son's 1997 Fisher Big Sur aluminum hardtail broke the frame after just a couple of years).

I've been tempted to buy a new bike but when I clean, polish and tune this one I realize there's no reason to go new. Thanks Gary Fisher and TREK for making a great bike.

Purchased At:   White Rock Cycle

Bike Setup:   Stock components, except for tires, brake pads, pedals. The Gripshift 400 SRT has worked flawlessly for 23 years, Maverick rims are still true. I installed Bontrager Revolt ST tires which are light and work great on pavement but still have good grip on trails.

Submitted by txfm740 a Cross Country Rider from TX

Date Reviewed: June 23, 2009

Strengths:    rims, frame geometry, rear derailleur, brake calipers, headset and "Quadra" 21R forks

Weaknesses:    frame dented after multiple wrecks; the bottom bracket finally needs attention, and the cassette needs to be replaced. The chain could use some R & R as well.

Bottom Line:
This bike is 12 years old, and it has had little to no maintenance, but it keeps on going. I seriously need to put it in the shop so that it can get the attention it deserves. Its unlikely that I would drop a grand on this year's model though.

Favorite Trail:   Legacy Park

Purchased At:   friend

Similar Products Used:   Fisher Wahoo, Trek Antelope, Trek 800

Bike Setup:   Shimano STX out back; factory setup

Submitted by xman a Weekend Warrior from Albuquerque, NM

Date Reviewed: April 8, 2009

Strengths:    Solid, quiet, built like a russian submarine and strong like bull.

Weaknesses:    Seating position

Bottom Line:
My 1st MTB bike, had it for over 12 yrs and it still cranks like a precision machine. I love the quality. Never got used to the seating position and was considering trading it in for something new. But after reading all these reviews I think Ima gonna keep her and just get a different riser. Thanks all!

Purchased At:   Frenchies

Bike Setup:   bone stock

Submitted by Roger a Weekend Warrior from Simbury, CT USA

Date Reviewed: February 24, 2009

Strengths:    The entire Bike it is awesome

Weaknesses:    NONE

Bottom Line:
This bike is awesome no matter what I throw at it it handles with ease. It is a hard core rider and everyone should use this bike. Awesome!!! lOve it and hate all others

Favorite Trail:   West Res

Purchased At:   Central Wheel

Similar Products Used:   Cannondale, Trek

Bike Setup:   Out of the box

Submitted by E$ a Weekend Warrior from UPPER MARLBORO, MD

Date Reviewed: August 8, 2008

Strengths:    TOUGH BIKE ALTOGETHER, STRONG COMPONENTS FOR MY LEVEL OF RIDING, EXTREMELY COMFORTABLE RIDE

Weaknesses:    NONE

Bottom Line:
BOUGHT IT BRAND NEW IN 1997 AND IT IS WELL WORTH THE MONEY SPENT. BIKE IS 11 YEARS OLD AND STILL LOOKS NEW BECAUSE IT'S WELL MAINTAINED. HAS ALL ORIGINAL EQUIPMENT INCLUDING TIRES. I'M A BIT OLDER BUT STILL LONGING TO PUT IT ON THE TRAILS. THANKS GARY FISHER.

Favorite Trail:   FOUNTAINHEAD-VA

Purchased At:   BIKES USA

Similar Products Used:   NONE

Bike Setup:   ROCK SHOX INDY XC, SHIMANO DRIVE TRAIN, BONTRAGER SADDLE/WHEELS

Submitted by Christopher Zuck a Cross Country Rider from Wilmington, Delaware

Date Reviewed: May 27, 2008

Strengths:    Strength, Durability, Geometry, Versatilty

Weaknesses:    None that I've found, but I did end up changing most of the components eventually. Come on, I bought the thing 11 years ago. I will admit the INDY XC rockshock it came with was horrible.

Bottom Line:
I'm really reviewing the frame, but the bike in its original set-up was great too. The bottom line is that this bike has hung with me through it all. I've bought new bikes and use them for various reasons, but in the end I love the feel and strength of this bike so much that I just can't stop riding it. The geomotry is perfect and the frame has just the right flex. With all the bikes I've had, its still probably my favorite.

Favorite Trail:   Middle Run/White Clay creek

Purchased At:   Bike shop in Lake Placid NY

Similar Products Used:   Specialized stumpjumper M2comp, Home-built Nuke Proof Hard tail, Custom Kona Dawg Primo FR/XC set-up

Bike Setup:   I've riden this bike from a fully geared front supension hardtail to a rigid single speed. Current set-up: surly 1x1 fork, the original bontrager rims with Holy Rollers, a soulcraft convert, FSA fat pig headset, pro-taper bars, Race Face Evolve XC Stem,and orignal sugino cranks.

Submitted by Christopher Zuck a Cross Country Rider from Wilmington, Delaware

Date Reviewed: May 27, 2008

Strengths:    Strength, Durability, Geometry, Versatilty

Favorite Trail:   Middle Run/White Clay creek

Purchased At:   Bike shop in Lake Placid NY

Submitted by chris cross a Cross Country Rider from north berwick, maine

Date Reviewed: April 1, 2008

Strengths:    great gearing for commuting and city riding, lightweight, fast, durable

Weaknesses:    Wish it had 29" wheels like my next bike will. Only serious complaint is it seems the fork adjusters do absolutely nothing, but at least the it works good.

Bottom Line:
Great bike, pick one up if you find one used. The chromoly frame is both durable and light. The components seem high quality and the ride is pretty good. Haven't ridden it much offroad, but I'm sure it's great.

Favorite Trail:   n/a

Purchased At:   private sale

Similar Products Used:   1985 Univega Maxima Sport

Bike Setup:   stock

Submitted by Philip Rygg a Cross Country Rider from New York, NY, USA

Date Reviewed: September 16, 2007

Strengths:    It lasted forever, comfortable handle bars, shifters, durable

Bottom Line:
I bought my Hoo KOO E Koo, in two tone purple, in 1993, when I was 13 years old, I was tall then, the bike has fit and served me well for 14 years. With minimal tune ups it traversed thousands of miles, mostly in daily journeys to work or school. I toured through Glacier park in MT, I rode it through Seattle for 5 years, San Francisco for a year an excellent hill bike. I have had it here in New York for 2 months ago until yesterday when a bad man clipped my cable and took my transportation away from me. A great ride it has been though.

Favorite Trail:   Riverside Park

Purchased At:   Timberline, no longer in biz MT

Similar Products Used:   Tried a variety

Bike Setup:   21" frame w/ original rock shox

Submitted by Paul Young a Cross Country Rider from Vancouver, BC Canada

Date Reviewed: May 27, 2007

Strengths:    Had this bike for 10 years now (it's a red '97) and it's virtually indestructible. I still like the geometry for trail riding, both uphill and down. And for a hardtail it's got a great ride.

Weaknesses:    I've replaced a few components and upgraded but no complaints.

Bottom Line:
I'ma way more laid-back rider now than when I got this bike 10 years ago... now I'm using it as more of a cruiser... more comfortable and balanced than other bikes I've riden lately. The light but strong chromoly steel frame has just the right balance of stiffness and comfort. Thanks GF!

Purchased At:   White Rock Cycle

Similar Products Used:   My son bought a GF Big Sur at the same time I got my HKEK and his had a way stiffer ride... until the aluminum frame split. Glad I got steel!

Submitted by Randy a Cross Country Rider from Burlington, VT USA

Date Reviewed: March 24, 2006

Strengths:    Steel frame, decent (Durable) component selection, LASTS FOREVER!!

Weaknesses:    Headset issues when it was new, Rock Shox Quadra's steerer bent out of alignment.

Bottom Line:
This review is for the 1996 Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo. I purchased this bike after graduating high school in 1996. I rode it very hard in the first 4 years I owned it then upon going to college in 2000 I stored it in my garage. In that time I replaced only a few things on the entire bike:

Cassette
Chain
Upgraded to Tektro V Brakes
Replaced Bent RS Quadra with a Manitou fork

Other than that, after approx 5 thousand miles of trail riding (Some downhill at Platekill) everything was still in great condition. In the summer of 2002 I worked as a bike messenger in Boston and used none other than my Hoo Koo for work. I put some michelin slicks on it and logged 60-70 miles a day of grueling pavement punishment. This bike has literally taken a licking and still to this day keeps on tickin. I think now GF is owned by Trek but the Genesis geometry is awesome. I plan on turning this bike into a rigid single speed commuter in the near future.

3 chilis for value rating because $650 was a lot of dough for me back then and now that kind of money buys you a much better component selection than alivio and STX-rc. 5 Chilis for overall rating!

Purchased At:   Princeton Ski Shop