Gary Fisher Big Sur '97 Bike 1998 or Older

4.27/5 (62 Reviews)

Gary Fisher Big Sur '97

Submitted by Damon L a Cross Country Rider from San Diego, CA

Date Reviewed: April 18, 2001

Bottom Line:
I got this bike off a buddy who got it off a buddy, so i have no idea what year this thing is. its b-b-q flat black frame with white tires(since replaced) on it, rs indy front shock, and shimano rc deraillers. if anybody knows what year it is please drop me a line. other than that i love it. except the rock shox indy sucks so i beefed it up to a 00' z.3 bam. and the shimano brakes suck, you can hear me from around the corners. and the seat post squeaks. but a dope bike over all.

Favorite Trail:   SMugglers mine(aspen)

Purchased At:   a buddy

Submitted by Michael Higgs a Weekend Warrior from San Diego,Ca

Date Reviewed: November 25, 1999

Strengths:
Frame, Handling, Color, Geometry

Weaknesses:
Derailers, Seat Post Noise.

Bottom Line:
I am not really sure which model I ended up with. I thought I bought it in late 97, so maybe I got the 98 model. It is a wierd gray/silver color with STX-RC, and a plain RockShox (No other name). Mavic Rims with Velocrapter tires and the Suginio Crank.
I love the bike, I have done numerous races with it and it handles like a dream. Shock.......? who know's, its my first suspension fork, and it works great for me. Drive train needs a little tweaking though. Although the Gripshift 400 works well, the Stx and grifshift comb just doesnt work well together. Go with the plasma 8 grips with the xt combo and lx brakes and youll have a screamer. If anyone knows which model I have, please email me.

Noble Canyon, Florida Canyon, Mission Trails

2 Years

Trek 7000, Speciallzed Stumpjumper

All stock until just now. Replaced the STX-RC rear with XT. Plan to upgrade the entire bike to XT.

Submitted by Justin a weekend warrior from Norman, Ok

Date Reviewed: January 16, 1999

Bottom Line:

Sense writing my review in september my 98 bigsur developed a small problem. The chane would drag on the front derailer. I know what your going to say, I should expect that in extreme gearing, but the problem occured in all gears. So after my dealer switched to a narrower chain, a narrower BB and reset all adjustments the problem stilll occured. So finally we thaught it was a bad frame. After talking to shimano and GF tech reps we put all the original drive train back on and reset everything to shimano specs and the problem disapeard. If you get the same problem start from square one and go up. Reset the whole thing. But sense then I have had no problems. I very pleased with GF and Shimano for there help. Now if I could just get the bike to clean itself?

Submitted by Karel Kotyk a weekend warrior from Nova Paka, Czech Republic

Date Reviewed: January 12, 1999

Bottom Line:

I had some starting problems with my Big Sur. One of that was a difficult located creak somewhere in seat post area. Here is my resolution of this problem: Try spray some lubricant (I used WD40) inside of the seat tube and then place the bike on the side (this allows the lubricant to get whole inside tube surface). I recommend this simply procedure anyone with this problem. Now, after 1000 off road km on the Big Sur's saddle I can say, that this is the best bike I ever rode and I am very glad that I have one.

Submitted by Luke Richard a weekend warrior from West Vancouver

Date Reviewed: January 4, 1999

Bottom Line:

I bought a '98 Gary Fisher Big Sur last september and it performed supurbly. It is feather light so it makes hard climbs, or witch seem hard with my old Cro-Mo Fuji sundance. With Upgraded components this bike could be the best bike this world has ever seen. It feels kind of neat that it is using the same frame as $4000 bikes like the Procalaber or less but still nice Supercalaber. This bike is a winner.

Submitted by Roger a weekend warrior from Simi Valley, CA

Date Reviewed: November 5, 1998

Bottom Line:

The '98 Big Sur climbs very well, but makes too much noise from the bottom bracket, seat post and bars. The front wheel's radial lace is terrible. Nonetheless, when operational, the bike rides really well. On steep rocky climbs, the Big Sur is great. If GF can fix the noise and strengthen the front wheel, this bike will be perfect.

Submitted by Steve a weekend warrior from Huntsville

Date Reviewed: November 2, 1998

Bottom Line:

Cromo below is right. If your going to wait for a 99 bike, your going to have to go up to the Paragon to get the double butted aluminum frame. I love my Big Sur (98)! But if your going to spend the money, get a 98 Big Sur or a 99 Paragon. If your not a racer, the Paragon is all the bike you'll ever need, but if you have
limited funds buy a 98 Big Sur now.

Submitted by cromo a cross-country rider from Singapore

Date Reviewed: October 8, 1998

Bottom Line:

I got the '98 big sur just in October just when all LBSs started selling the '99 line. This bike totally kicks ass, no question at all. Great handling, perfect for climbing & goes real fast. During a climb, I actually forgot that I was climbing, till I looked back to see my friends struggling. Best of all, I got it during close out & I paid abt US$750+. The only reasons I didn't buy the bike earlier was b'cos of it's price ('Rich' ain't my middle name) & color. Somehow, the black indy xc fork, handle bars & seatposts made the bike looked really cheap to me. (Yeah, you can call me a poser, but what's so wrong choosing the color?) But now I had it all switched to polished silver parts, & the bike looks & rides AWESOME. I finally decided to buy it when I checked out the GF '99 line, & realised that the same dbl butted 6061 Easton frame used on the Big Sur '98 would only be available in the top few models in 1999. The '99 BigSur only comes with a 'plain 6061 Easton frame' according to the catalogue & I bet it's not going to be as light.
I think the '98 big sur is a real good deal, considering you're actually getting a Procaliber frame for so much less. This deal won't happen in 1999, so get yours today & don't miss out. That is, if it's still available.

Submitted by Stephen Williams a weekend warrior from Huntsville, AL

Date Reviewed: September 29, 1998

Bottom Line:

After several months of having my Big Sur I still love it. The 99's look sweet! This bike is THE BEST for the money. Mine like others I have heard of developed a popping sound from the seat tube. FYI - it is caused by the shim in the top of the seat tube (you can feel the end of it if you stick your finger down the tube) moving against the seat tube. Now that you know where it's coming from, it is easily fixed. Just pour some lock-tite down around the inside of the shim, it will go past the bottom, then place the bike upside-down (this allows the lock-tite to get between the shim and the tube), all fixed. Hopefully Fisher has fixed this problem on the 99's. Overall great bike!

Submitted by Justin Roberts a weekend warrior from Norman, Ok

Date Reviewed: September 16, 1998

Bottom Line:

Bein a third year college student money is tight. So when I decided to sell off my 95 balance FS-450 I was looking for high quality at the lowest cost, and a Murray just wouldnt do. So I went for the 98 Big Sur. It was exactly what I wanted, genisus geometry, light weight XTcomponets and under 1,000 bucks. After 30 miles of hell bent off road use, I love this bike. I recomend upgrading the front derailer and bottom bracket to XT along with a long travel kit for that extra room up front. I also slaped on a pair of LX 8 speed shifters to complete my new trail monster. Aside from a Fisher ZO this is the best bike for your riding dollar.Have fun get bloody!!

Submitted by carrie a weekend warrior from Philadelphia

Date Reviewed: August 18, 1998

Bottom Line:

I bought my Big Sur bike on MTBR marketplace and it was the first bike I ever bought. Since then, I've been biking everywhere - from gravel paths in the city to mountainous terrain in the country. The bike boasts the impressive Judy XC front fork - an absolute must have to help cushion the tumultuous travel. The bike is naked aluminum, and I'm often classifed as The Speeding Silver Bullet by passerbys who are astounded by how rugged and mean the bike looks. I took my bike on a 25-mile jaunt this past weekend, and the performance and thrill was not to be beat!! It is truly the best purchase that I (oops, I mean my husband!) ever made!!

Submitted by Ian a cross-country rider from Bowdoinham, ME

Date Reviewed: August 5, 1998

Bottom Line:

I bought this bike about 1 month ag and so far I love it. It rides like a dream and is a major upgrade from my scott. It has a pretty light frame but was also pretty pricey. The crank is crap but the rear de. works great. It has a smooth uphill ride and the downhill is not too bumpy. I wish it came with better fork. My seatpost slips down even when I've tightened it all of the way. I think I need a new seatpost that will fit. There is tyhis starnge creak that comes from my crank or someplace around it. I wish I could fix it. I took it to the dealer and they said it was my rear deraleur. They adjusted it... didn't help at all. I love the grips and the colour. It feels like all of my powwer is used to go forward!!!

Submitted by Alex Noble a cross-country rider from Toronto Canada

Date Reviewed: July 12, 1998

Bottom Line:

I just bought the coolest bike, the acid yellow big sur 98 it is a climbing machine and keeps you comfortable on the downhills i think it is the genesis geo i have only had it for 2 weeks but i have put it through every type of terrain you could think of. i would recommend this bike to anybody who likes to ride

Submitted by Conan a cross-country rider from Maryland

Date Reviewed: July 10, 1998

Bottom Line:

I just bought a 98 Big Sur, and what else can I say but this is a great bike. Climbs that usually kill me, only hurt really bad now. I thought I was fast on downhills before, but this bike gets me down the hills faster than I have ever gone.Great manueverability on the technical decents, though the aluminum frame beats me to hell on the rough stuff (I have been riding cromo for the last 4 yrs) The Indy XC is okay though cant tell much difference from my old Indy S. I am about to upgrade to a Judy XC. The only complaint I have so far is the crappy front derailleur. Shifting from the big ring to the middle ring, I had to go all the way into the little ring and back to the middle ring, and there was an almost constant rubbing of the chain on the derailleur. After the new fork, the front derailleur is the next to go. Other than that, I had no problems. Great overall bike for the money. I would definitely recommend it to anyone. I give it a 4 ( would be a 5 if not for the front derailleur)
Ride safe

Submitted by Daxs Stadjuhar a weekend warrior from Republic of Korea

Date Reviewed: July 2, 1998

Bottom Line:

Just bought the Blue Big Sur and had it shipped from SF to my home in South Korea. Great bike for all the hills here in the Land of the Morning Calm. This is my first Aluminum and overall it rides sweet on singletrack, hardpack, and hardball roads. I have not upgraded anything yet, looking at the pedals so I can ride around in my military boots at work. I have to thank Start to Finish bikes out of SF, my sister and Brother-in-Law for shipping it, and Gary Fisher for making a kick ass bike.