Gary Fisher Aquila Bike Bike 1998 or Older

4.35/5 (143 Reviews)

Aquila

Submitted by Jack Skidmore

Date Reviewed: January 24, 2013

Strengths:    I love how it shifts so well. I got it at a greatly reduced price and I absolutely love the thing! One of the tiers was bent, so I had to replace it but this thing is 14 years old an now I ride it to school and sometimes/when I get the chance go MBiking and it works unbelievably well!

Weaknesses:    Maybe a little heavy, but not that bad at all.

Bottom Line:
It is a really good bike for the price, and its ok to take it on the road. Shifts great and the shocks are smooth (for a hard tail).
Really good bike.

Submitted by Rob

Date Reviewed: October 20, 2012

Strengths:    Tough and durable build and finish. Very versatile geometry. I have used this for mountain/forest and even with thin slick tyres as a commute/city bike. I even rode is from London to Paris for charity. Then it carried my son with a rear seat for 3 years. Now he's out grown it it's back to a Mountain bike.

Weaknesses:    You can lo longer buy the nice cream tyres which came with it.

Bottom Line:
I have been tempted to upgrade a few times but as long as this don't break beyond repair there is no point. Im still very happy with it.

Submitted by caro5555

Date Reviewed: May 28, 2012

Strengths:    Indestructible.
Bought new, ridden it over everything and still looks and rides fantastic at 16 1/2 years!
Value - Based on purchase of ~$500 and 16+ yrs = $30/year!!! And still riding.

Weaknesses:    No suspension is rough on the wrists on rocky terrain.

Bottom Line:
I bought this bike new in mid 1996 in San Francisco at Lombardi's. As far as I remember it was middle/lower end in terms of price at the time (maybe around $500) as I was just learning to mountain bike. I put miles on it in the Bay Area going over all sorts of bumps, downhills and whatever came my way. It's also taken abuse and given some great rides in the Colorado Rockies around Boulder and Crested Butte in the last 6 years. It's been a fantastic bike. I have just replaced it (yesterday) but took it out for a 9 mile ride today and love it just as much as always. My new full suspension bike will take me on the big trails and big drops but this sturdy, old bike will take me around town for a long time to come!

Submitted by olivierMTB

Date Reviewed: April 16, 2012

Strengths:    Dont know yet :p

Weaknesses:    Dont know yet :p

Bottom Line:
I bought this bike yesterday, I hope it's a good one....

Submitted by petarbreskovic a Cross Country Rider from Split, CROATIA

Date Reviewed: January 15, 2011

Strengths:    Excellent triple butted frame and responsive geometry even for ss city ride, well constructed wheels

Weaknesses:    cheap components even for that time standards

Bottom Line:
Might look crazy putting above items on 16 yrs old frameset, but beleive me, worthwhile. Already tried and makes incredible, mind free city single speed. Price paid that looks enormous is normal in Croatia, but it paid itself many times.Will rate it average, cause the frameset is 5 and components 2.

Favorite Trail:   Split, CROATIA

Purchased At:   Zagreb, CROATIA

Similar Products Used:   Obscure Swiss handmade frame - very good and many other similar mb - Aquila responded better than any, due to the frameset, probably

Bike Setup:   Actually waiting cool Paul comp (hubs, brakes, crankset), Mavic XC717 rims, one of Brooks B17 seats, T-serv Panaracer 26x1.5 and so on.

Submitted by philadopolis a Weekend Warrior from Bozeman, MT, USA

Date Reviewed: May 19, 2010

Strengths:    Solid. Light. Affordable. When it was new, the pearl paint with the gray wheels and gray seat really made it stand out.

Weaknesses:    I liked the GripShift when I bought the bike 15 years ago. Now, not so much. Other than not having any suspension, my only issue with the bike has been that it "wheelies" when I'm climbing a really steep hill. That may be due to an improper setup or not being sized right for me. I'm not an experienced enough rider to know.

Bottom Line:
I really love my Aquila, but I am finally looking to move on. Its hardtail frame and rim pad brakes were fine for "mountain" biking in Iowa, but but now that I live in Montana, I feel the need for disc brakes and a full-suspension setup. When and if I do replace my Aquila, I don't think I'll get rid of it. I may just give it an overhaul and hand it down to my son.

Favorite Trail:   One of the trails around Missoula, MT

Purchased At:   Iowa City Spoke

Similar Products Used:   This was the first mountain bike I ever bought and I have yet to replace it.

Bike Setup:   Stock. I finally replaced the tires a couple of years ago and the seat a little over a year ago. I just replaced the strap-in pedals with Candy Cs about a week ago.

Submitted by Todd C a Weekend Warrior from Wilmington,NC USA

Date Reviewed: April 28, 2010

Strengths:    Tough bike. You simply CANNOT destroy it.

Weaknesses:    Components. They were great at time of purchase, not so much now.

Bottom Line:
I have owned this bike since 1994, yes you read that right, and can still outpump most folks at the local trails. This bike is my soul mate!

Favorite Trail:   Blue Clay Rd

Purchased At:   private party

Submitted by Spring Dave a Weekend Warrior from Spring, Texas

Date Reviewed: March 27, 2010

Strengths:    My brother wanted to put this 98-ish Green Aquila to the trash because it hit that maintenance cycle and needed some work. With new tires, a spare wheelset, new crank, brake pads, and hand grips, I couldn't have asked for a better riding bike. I can keep up with the weekend road-bikers, switch wheels, and hit the trails a few minutes from the house. This bike forgives more abuse than it should for its age, and so far it has held to the trails better than I can take it.

Weaknesses:    I replaced the crankset (bike has over 20k miles on it) and I really don't like the lower bracket. Lets in dirt too easily. Time for an upgrade when I get the wife's permission.....

Bottom Line:
This bike is already between 11-13 years old, has probably 30k miles or more on it, only a few rust spots (minor, time for naval gelly), but it has to be the most forgiving bike for what my brother and I have put it through. With my road setup it probably tops out around 16-17 mph with a strong tight ride. Offroad? This bike is unreal. Unless my brother wants to throw out another bike, I think I'll keep this one as long as I can pedal a bike!

Favorite Trail:   Cypresswood on and offroad

Purchased At:   My brother's trash p

Similar Products Used:   nothing close!

Bike Setup:   Rock Shox front fork (still original, still tight), two Bontrager Maverick wheelsets; Bontrager Jones ACX offroad tires on one, Specialized Nimbus street slicks on the other; Dia Compe DP7 brakes; bg Milano gel saddle, and OURY grips.

Submitted by Joe Brown a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: August 22, 2009

Strengths:    Lightweight for Steel. dosen't come with suspension fork. strong rides great

Weaknesses:    Gripshifters

Bottom Line:
I have put over 600 miles on this bike this year. I is a great bike except mine has some chips in the paint and some rust but i plan to put a clearcoat over those. Also going to get rapid fire shifters. I would recomend that you should buy this bike. I recently bought a Aquila frame and am going to build a bike with it. Rides just as well as 1999 Aquila even without Gennesis geometry.

Purchased At:   Private Party

Similar Products Used:   1999 Aquila

Bike Setup:   Rockshox Dart 3 fork, all other components are stock

Submitted by End Over End a Weekend Warrior from Evanston, Illinois, USA

Date Reviewed: May 8, 2009

Strengths:    Strength of frame, strength of fork, price, and overall quality

Weaknesses:    a bit heavy, and could have used a bigger front crankset, but that's nit picking

Bottom Line:
I went into buying this bike 12 years ago with an attitude that no bike would ever replace my Rockhopper I rode in Ireland for three months, but when it got ripped off, I had to find something...I bought the Aquila in the middle of the winter at a tourist place in the middle of nowhere for a ridiculusly low price. I spent four years living in the rockies making this bike my punching bag; hitting rocks, stumps, and whatever else I could find only to bounce right off. I absolutely love this thing. Due to broken collar bones now I just tool around town, to and from work, and at charity rides, but I still love the smooth ride and indestructableness of the thing. I love cruising by people riding their $1500 bikes knowing they look at my ride and think to themselves, "that guy needs a new bike". The thing is, they just don't know. If you're a daily rider and part time mountain biker pick one up if you can find one. I'll never get rid of mine, I'll be 90 years old, and it'll be hanging on my wall at the old folks home.

Favorite Trail:   Foothills Trail North, Fort Collins

Purchased At:   Kettle Moraine Touri

Similar Products Used:   Specialized Rockhoppper, (stolen), Bridgestone MB3, (not mine), Fuji whatever, (piece of explative)....all from mid 90's

Bike Setup:   Everything is original except for new Mavic rims, Serfas saddle, and Ritchey Speedmax tires...all due to a little fender bender I had

Submitted by joby a Weekend Warrior from Austin, TX, usa

Date Reviewed: September 7, 2008

Strengths:    A real Gary Fisher, triple-butted steel frame--smooth, rigid, durable, and able to take any bump or hole without damage to bike or rider. Sexy purple frame with gray wheels. Everything held up well past its prime.

Weaknesses:    None for what I use it for.

Bottom Line:
I will be buried on this bike! I love the way the steel frame handles--stiff but smooth. It's taken me on long weekend road rides, on bike trails around town, and over some rougher terrain, though I'm not a fierce MBer. I've pulled two kids in a Burley trailer, and on a Burley Trailercycle, for many, many rides. Still pull my youngest on the TC, even though she's too big for it. The frame never complains--speed bumps, washed out gullies on gravel trails, roots, even rocks--I've ridden it everywhere, and I've pulled the trailercycle over some rough places. That's why I've never gone to a 700--I like being able to dive into the woods or creeks straight from the road, sometimes pulling a kid.

Bottom line--if you run across one of these frames, you won't be disappointed. The components are mostly original on mine, even, though a couple things could bear replacing. Brakes, especially. Original wheels are still good, though I don't do drops or jumps, so YMMV.

Favorite Trail:   Country lanes around Austin

Purchased At:   Discover Cycle (RIP)

Similar Products Used:   Nothing else in the last twelve years, though I've sat astride a few other frames here and there.

Bike Setup:   1996, 22" top bar, stock except replaced large chain ring for better road speed.

Submitted by mickeydawrenchwench a Cross Country Rider from Corvallis, OR

Date Reviewed: September 2, 2008

Strengths:    You couldn't ask for a tougher frame, I hammered this thing for over a decade and its still great, woman/small frame friendly geometry, handles single track like a gecko on speed, smooth riding and did I mention its got a darn near bulletproof frame? Great on pavement and singletrack, outlasted my marriage and by far a better investment.

Weaknesses:    Heavy. Original psycho tires picked up flats like alley cats pick up mange. Original cranks were sucky and sheared off on a random rock. The brakes are archaic (who needs brakes anyways, that's what wrecking is for)

Bottom Line:
It's an original Gary Fisher, from the glory days before Trek bought the label. I bought this bike in 1996 and I've abused it ever since. This thing has seen every kind of terrain from salt flats to hair raising deer trails that were never meant to be found let alone rode, and its performed like a champ. Rode the original rigid forks until I bent them backwards in a crash that left the frame unscathed and the rider a bit broken. Threw on the Marz. Z3 Lights and loved it ever since. Broke every single original component EXCEPT the frame, and if there's some chips in the purple paint job, that's only to be expected with the way I hammered on this. The original components were a little cheap, but they worked for a while, and really, its a Fisher, its meant to be upgraded. Gary Fisher made owning a solid piece of earth pummeling equipment affordable to the average wrench wench by producing buildable bikes, and build on it is exactly what I did. I STILL love this bike, and won't let go of it, although I wouldn't mind finding something a bit lighter for the creaky joint days. (can't wreck that many times and not come out of it a little arthritic 12+ years later).

If you can find one, buy it. Good luck prying mine away!

Favorite Trail:   Dan's Trail

Purchased At:   Cyclotopia

Similar Products Used:   Treks of various numbers, Mongooses, GT's, Giants, left them all broke or bent.

Bike Setup:   Marz. Z3 Light forks, Shimano STX derailers & rapidfire shifters, can't remember what I replaced the cranks with, STX hubs on Mavic rims, Panaracer FireXCPro tires, WTB seat, can't remember what the rest of the upgrades were but the only stock part is the frame.

Submitted by Joe a Weekend Warrior from Dacula Ga

Date Reviewed: March 9, 2008

Strengths:    Frame is very light for cro-molly steel. Also for older derailers it shifts very smooth.

Weaknesses:    So far i cant really find any, im sure the rims and bars may not be the highest end.

Bottom Line:
I bought this bike for my wife as a upgrade for her from a Trek 800 that has no suspension. The bike I have is a size small, as stated bought it for the wife. But I have been playing with this thing for the past few days and I really love this thing. It rides great, haven't had it off road yet, but from my experience it should handle awesome. If I can find another used one to fit me as a second bike, I will buy it in a second. The good old feel of steel is great, rides smooth, shifts great. If you find this frame, and its in good shape, even if you need to replace the rest of the components, BUY IT!! You will not regret it.

Favorite Trail:   Ft Yargo

Purchased At:   used

Similar Products Used:   Gary fisher Wahoo Disc

Bike Setup:   Bought it used for 130. dumped another 100 for pedals,chain new Alivo shifters/brake combo and tune up.

Submitted by R Ford a Cross Country Rider from Aldie

Date Reviewed: August 10, 2007

Strengths:    I have ridden my Gary Fisher Aquila since I purchased it in 96. It has held up better than any bike I have ever seen. This bike has seen Snowshoe, WV, all the Northern Virginia off road trails, SC swamp fox, SC beaches, Charleston, SC college life, and pulled a heavy child filled Burley all over the place without a hiccup. My Aquila still has a rigid fork although I have upgraded the drive train and added a riser bar, suspension seat post, and spd pedals. Awesome in the woods! The frame is nimble and climbs great. My next mountain bike will be a Fisher if I can stand not riding my triple butted steel Aquila!

Weaknesses:    Nothing Kicks Butt

Bottom Line:
never fails

Favorite Trail:   My loop