Gary Fisher 99 Paragon Bike 1998 or Older

4.83/5 (6 Reviews)

99 Paragon

Submitted by Bill B a Cross Country Rider from Metropolis, Ill

Date Reviewed: February 25, 2001

Strengths:    Great Frame

Weaknesses:    Lower end components, paint chips, water settled in BB shell

Bottom Line:
This is a great bike. I bought it last summer when it was a year old already. I replaced alot of the stock parts, put air cartridges in the Judy and it rides like a dream. It looks great and its light.

Favorite Trail:   Canal Loop at Kentucky Lake

Purchased At:   Bart's Bikes

Similar Products Used:   Cannondale F3000

Bike Setup:   Full XT, Gripshift Halfpipe, Ritchey Speed max, Rock Shox suspension seatpost.

Submitted by Ruben Paredes a Racer from Hayward,CA,USA

Date Reviewed: September 24, 2000

Strengths:    THIS IS AN OVERALL GREAT BIKE IT HAS THE RIGHT AMOUNT OF STIFNESS FOR CLIMBING,AND RIGHT AMOUNT OF FLEX FOR THOSE EPIC ALL DAY RIDES.

Weaknesses:    AS FAR AS QUALITY AND CRAFTSMANSHIP I SEE NO WEAKNESS,GARY IS A VERY FLASHY GUY SO IF YOU CAN STOMACH ALL THE DECALS YOU SHOULD NOT HAVE ANY PROBLEMS.

Bottom Line:
THIS IS THE BOTTOM LINE I SET UP MY KLEIN FOR RACING,AND I BOUGHT THE FISHER AS A PRACTICE BEAT ME UP BIKE.BUT THE MORE I RODE IT THE BETTER IT FELT SO I LIKED SO MUCH THE CARDS ARE NOW FLIPPED.I SWAPED COMPONENTS FROM KLEIN TO FISHER AND NOW IT IS LIGHTER AND CLIMBS LIKE A ROCKET.I WILL NOT RACE NEXT YEAR BECAUSE OF SCHOOLING,BUT I PLAN TO RACE IT.I GUESS GARY FISHER WAS NOT OVER HYPING HIS GENESIS GEOMETRYM,GOOD JOB GARY AND TO ANYONE WHO HAS PURCHASED A FISHER PARAGON.

Favorite Trail:   PAULY CREEK DOWNIEVILLE CA

Purchased At:   START TO FINISH

Similar Products Used:   KLEIN ATTITUDE RACE,TREK 9.9,TREK 8000

Bike Setup:   BONTRAGER RACE LITE WHEELS,RITCHEY RISER PRO BARS,MANITOU CL FORK,THOMPSON SEAT POST.

Submitted by chris wiley a Cross Country Rider from syracuse, ny u.s.a.

Date Reviewed: June 19, 2000

Strengths:    climbs like gravity doesn't exist, endo's have become a thing of the past, looks like a formula one race car(paint job).

Weaknesses:    i have thrased the hell out of this bike on stuff that i should probably ride a fs bike on and have had only one complaint, the bontrager rear hub froze up solid on me and had to be replaced. good news is that the manufacturer set me up for free( cool ). by the way, the paint really does chip easily, but that just adds to the character of the bike. like look that's the time i fell off that cliff, etc.

Bottom Line:
this bike has enabled me to reach a new plateau of technical riding ability. it is super-stiff and allows me to climb just about anything , it is also extremely light. on the downhills the rearward center of gravity thanks to the "genisis" thing gives me great confidence and allows me to hang in there when i might've bailed on my other bikes.

Favorite Trail:   gas can trail in VT

Similar Products Used:   GT avalanche, jamis exile, haro escape, kona.

Bike Setup:   love the rockshox judy, and the wtb seat. the bontrager race rims are also magnificent. i tossed the stock pedals and replaced them with speedplay frogs because i like my knees.

Submitted by JOHN a Weekend Warrior from NATICK, MA, USA

Date Reviewed: April 24, 2000

Strengths:    Stability, climbing ability, Speed, light-weight and low maintenance.

Weaknesses:    Paint job chips, too many decals.

Bottom Line:
This bike is the envy of all my MO-BI buddies. They especially like how it looks from behind, because that is where they spend most of their time! This bike has changed my life. It has me totally addicted to riding. I walk by it in the garage and smile to myself. I expect to ride it for many years to come. Nothing compares!

Favorite Trail:   BOW RIDGE-LYNN WOODS

Similar Products Used:   Klein, GT

Bike Setup:   Stock...Hope to upgrade the crankset, but waiting until something goes wrong with the LX

Submitted by chewy a Cross Country Rider from boone

Date Reviewed: April 6, 2000

Strengths:    super lite, but strong frame to support my 190 lb ass...
unbelievable handling and great uphill bike..overall, would would recommend this bike to everyone. a PHAT BIKE!!

Weaknesses:    paint is chipping in places

Bottom Line:
a great bargain, i love ridin' it and haven't gotten tired of it one bit!!

Favorite Trail:   yantzees ridge

Similar Products Used:   cannondale f-900, schwin moab

Submitted by Wheels a cross-country rider from New Zealand

Date Reviewed: November 23, 1998

Bottom Line:

I have just spent the last two days riding my new 99 Paragon (XL) and it rides so much better than any other frame I have ever ridden, it's almost unbelievable.
During 10 years of mountainbiking, I have ridden a lot of top end bikes bikes, but this one smokes them all.
My three other MTB's are all for sale now - there's no way I'm going to ride anything that doesn't have Genisis geometry. I have read a lot of hype, but everything the Fisher guys say about the climbing and handling is totally true. On tight downhill singletracks it's faster than a full suspesion bike, and on uphills it climbs like a rocket. C.U. full suspension bike, this hardtail has made far more of an improvement to my riding.

'99 Paragon

I'm trying to upgrade my old hardtail to disk brakes and I'm having trouble finding an adapter for the rear wheel. I've been told that the adapter is pretty tough to find. Has anyone done a similar upgrade? If so, where did you get the part? Below is a picture of the bike. Thanks for the help.Read More »

99 Fisher Paragon & 06 Fisher Tassajara options

Howdy folks- I'm about to start work on a couple projects, and thought I'd ask your input before diving in. On hand, I've got an 06 Tassajara finished out in LX, with a manitou Axel fork. Nothing fancy, its 100% stock as far as I know. I've also got a 99 Paragon frame, with nothing on it. ... Read More »