Diamondback Voyager III Bike 1998 or Older

Voyager III

Submitted by John a weekend warrior from Fort Worth, Texas

Date Reviewed: May 23, 1998

Bottom Line:

In February my wife and I decided to replace our old mountain bikes. My old bike was a low-end bike built by a major company. I wanted to upgrade to something with Front_Shock, better components and more comfort. The Voyager III had all the things I was looking for; From the factory, it had a good suspension fork (Answer Maniou Spyder), an STX-RC component package, which is a great setup without breaking the bank. The rapid fire shifter was a nice change from the grip shift I had on the old bike. The WTB SST-X seat gives good support without a lot of bulk. The WTB Primal Raptor tires grip everything from mud to sand to rock. The comfortable riding position is a nice change from what I had, and the funky cruiser style looks just appealed to me. At the time, the Voyager III was brand new on the market. I was hesitant to plunk down the money. I hadn't seen anyone riding one, and I didn't know anyone I could ask how they liked theirs. I test rode the Voyager III and loved it. I talked to the Diamondback factory rep. and he told me all the great features the Voyager III has (which is what you'd expect; the guy works for the company). I finally found one article in a magazine that tested the Voyager III with a couple of other cruiser bikes and gave the Voyager III a favorable review. I overcame my fears and bought a Voyager III and it's been a love affair ever since. What a great bike!Although our old bikes were mountain bikes, my wife and I seldom did any trail or off-road riding. Since buying the Voyager III, I do 98% of my riding off-road (The ONLY road riding I do now is to get to the trails from the parking lot). The Voyager is so comfortable and competent on the trail, I find road riding about as exciting as a knitting party. I ride with guys and girls who ride two and three thousand dollar bikes. My Voyager III keeps up with them and has never been a bit of trouble. I've ridden their bikes and don't see fifteen hundred bucks worth of difference between mine and theirs.If you're shopping for a good bike and think about the Voyager III, but think maybe it's too much of a cruiser for any serious dirt riding, think again. The Voyager III can handle some serious off-road thrashing. It is a very comfortable bike to ride off-road and on. Besides that, people are ALWAYS asking me about it because it looks different from all the other bikes they see on the trail. The price is a little steeper than I originally wanted to pay. I checked out the Voyager I and II and thought maybe the II was an ok deal. Now that I've got a few hundred hard miles on my Voyager III, I'm certain it was money well spent. Spend the extra bucks to get the top of the line Voyager III and you'll never regret it. The Voyager III is a great bike.I'll shut up now. Thank you.