Diamondback Voyager II Bike 1998 or Older

4.15/5 (13 Reviews)

Diamondback Voyager II

Submitted by leo a Weekend Warrior from chicago,il,usa

Date Reviewed: July 21, 2010

Strengths:    beautiful, smooth frame.light but rugged.perfect road bike with the balls to go through some forest debris if needed.

Weaknesses:    none that i can see. been riding it nonstop for about 9 years or so til some jerky ripped it off a coupla months ago.

Bottom Line:
maybe one day ill see the dude who stole my bike as these models are unique in their stylings and then he'll have to walk instead of me.

Favorite Trail:   cook co. forest preserves

Purchased At:   bikes plus

Bike Setup:   voyager 11 ,grip shifter, rockshox

Submitted by Yogi a Downhiller from Sydney

Date Reviewed: October 5, 2004

Strengths:    Well its a sorry day last weekend. I was doing my bikes anual mount in bike stand thing... you know, wipe of old mud and mix it with lube and see if anything is ruff enuf to clean or replace. There is a Crack along the head tube and top tube weld that kinda runs right thru both sides of the top tube as well. AHHHHHhhhh well.
I feel like Ive lost a lover.

I Thrashed my bike and did more sets of stairs and wheelies and city freeride than most groups of riders. I was a courier on this frame, and Ive passed full downhill riggs during events. I was really impressed with tis frame as it has lasted 6 years of full abuse and use.
My final Set up was.
Very heavy stariaght DMR forks (very heavy Cro-Mo)
Wide riser bars, with meduum length stem
Maxix hookworm tyres( heavy man)
deore cranks
600 rear mech with road size cassete (single on front bigger middle ring)
shimano cable Disk brakes (for feel not hydraulic)
and home made flame stickers on head (very important)
PLatform pedals.
XT disk hubs and Ditch Witch rims

i have probably replaced every component on this frame at least 2 times

obvioiusly

Weaknesses:    Original parts where at a budget level, good for the user weho like to potter or not abuse their bike. It is good for some customers but I needed better everything obviously

Bottom Line:
WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHH i broke my bike and now im not happy

Im possibly looking at a mongoose ducce or hard luck frame to replace it with, but its SO NOT AS COOL.

I was really impressed with this frame in both looks and wear. My bike got a lot of attention at races and meets as all stickers except 7005 diamond shaped one on seat tube. sparkeling layered flame sticker on head tube helped.
My bike ........R.I.P........ was a fantastic ride that had steep head angle and comfort with low or high seat placement. So all you relaxed I OWN A VOYAGER type people out there, spend some cash and fix up your bike... your sitting on a frame that is so cool and amazing to thrash at high speed.

be well peeps

Purchased At:   Le Spit Cycelry Sydney

Similar Products Used:   beach cruiser that was hard to ride

Bike Setup:   look above or my other posts

Submitted by Yogi a Racer from Sydney

Date Reviewed: September 3, 2003

Strengths:    IT Still ROCKS.
i put full rigid and use it as my street warrior.

... This bike is still AWESOME and my favorite ride.

combinations.
-------------
Plush and long .... Short stem.
Stiff straight forks Long stem.
Stiff straight forks short stem.
all where fantastic ride.
Road slicks Still love the square avocets if you can get them , then the METROS.
Soft fat double tyre combo. "hey !"At the moment I have An Irc metro at 70 pounds (1.5) inside a michlne hot s (silicone folding) red (2.1) on the out side. It sits baggy , but only just. It grabs everything but the feel is loose. Ive have only good reports on this. even though it feels a little sloppey.

Weaknesses:    All Parts replaced.

I have no idea if this frame and bike is still availiable?

Bottom Line:
This frame has lasted an absolute BASHING from a bike courier in Sydney, I fly the stairs I bash corners and I fall off all the time.

THIS BIKE IS SOLIDLY a great ride.

But you have to set it right for you.
Dont buy bikes form department stores.

Purchased At:   le spit cyclery

Similar Products Used:   this bike is unique in shape, I ve tried a giant , mongoose.. and some weird thing all cause of the shapes are similar .. BUT THERE NOT THE SAME.

Bike Setup:   current :
Wide Bars, rapid fire, cable deore front, avid V rear.
Medium stem, Medium low seat. WTB directional front (or tioga Psycho) Irc Metro inside red folding 2.1 pre loved Hot S Mich.

Shimano 600 rear with road block. Suntour cranks ,SNAFU platforms. Fire stickers on head tube are very important.

Submitted by Yogi a Downhiller from Sydney Australia

Date Reviewed: September 12, 2001

Strengths:    Really Like the shape. It has a fantastic sweet spot for pulling monos and is great for belting down a hill full pelt. Even better on a single track. Can handle all punishment and Loves to be treated bad... hmmm reminds me of my next girl friend. No seriously , its by far the most enjoyable ride I have and I own a few.
Fat 7005 Alloy for stiff and light

Weaknesses:    UP HILL.
Voyager one came with curved fork (should be Straight and chunky).
I upgraded all the components and wheels To at least XT and have now A long travel shock with hayse disk brakes on the fron and Avids on the back... Annodised DH rimms...

Its a pity this bike did not come with the goods

Bottom Line:
Love it the most ot of my 5 bikes...Its the best fun
Fantastic expession sessions, stairs, drops and Jumps and stunts

Really bad set up for UP HILL...(hey who swore)

Love this bike

Fantastic free Ride or Cruise bike
Look so cool too

Favorite Trail:   THE BLUE MOUNTAINS

Purchased At:   Le Spit Cyclery

Similar Products Used:   Planet X frames
Sasquash from Norco.(steep head)
and a few cromo bike in 24 "

Bike Setup:   Short Stem
Wide bars
Grip Shi* (Dont worry... Extra wide grips)

Low Seat position
Free ride YEah!!!

Submitted by Henry a Weekend Warrior from San Jose, CA

Date Reviewed: September 13, 2000

Strengths:    Comfort, appearance and durability.

Weaknesses:    shifter

Bottom Line:
I bought this bike back in May 1998, and I have no reqret whatsoever, its a damn good value for the price. I recently replaced both tire and chain due to worn. One thing I regret was I didn't spent the additional $150 to get its upgraded version: Voyager III. Its sad to see Diamond Back stopped this line since last year.

Purchased At:   Fast Bike

Submitted by McCracken a Cross-Country Rider from Baltimore, MD

Date Reviewed: December 8, 1999

Strengths:
Great Value.
Lightweight.

Weaknesses:
The shifters aren't the best.

Bottom Line:
This bike is a good value for the aspiring hardcore mountain biker. It is lightweight, with solid componentry. The shock is a great entry-level fork. If you are unsure about spending $1,500 on a race bike, this is a good option!

Patapsco

Specialized Rockhopper

Stock

Submitted by The WIzard a Cross-Country Rider from Pittsburgh, PA

Date Reviewed: August 5, 1999

Strengths:
Light, Great Components, Rock Shock

Weaknesses:
Weird looking frame.

Bottom Line:
Awesome bike for the price. I can't say enough about this bike. Great components.

6 months

Specialized Rockhopper

Rock Shock

Submitted by Patrick a Weekend Warrior from York, England

Date Reviewed: May 18, 1999

Strengths:
Lightweight
Good Looking
Excellent components

Weaknesses:
Non so far

Bottom Line:
Only had this bike for 3 months, and I'm really pleased with it's performance. Put the Indy Rock Shox to the test several times, totally absorbing even the toughest terrain, and providing a smooth ride at the same time. Excellent buy!!!

3 months

Marin Hawk Hill

Rock Shox

Submitted by Tim Carroll a weekend warrior from Conrad, MT

Date Reviewed: October 29, 1998

Bottom Line:

The Voyager is a very nice bike. I had the chance to ride one, and it performed very well. The unique frame really attracts attention. It is probably not a good idea for a racer or a hardcore rider, but for the price it is a good cross bike. If you would like a bike that will get you there and back in style, this is the way to go.

Submitted by RWB a weekend warrior from Tucson

Date Reviewed: August 22, 1998

Bottom Line:

My dealer tuned my wheel.After another month, it still sucks!!for about 12 miles it worked right, then it started catching again, and now, after another 55 or 60 miles, it wants to throw me again. I've been riding bicycles for 35 years, moto -crossing and desert raceing motorcycles since I was ~24(be 16 yrs),and riding MTBs for 15yrs(off&on).I have never seen wheels this crappy!My 1st MTB had better wheels!I am going to call DiamondBack,I'll be back with more!

Submitted by RWBaker a weekend warrior from Tucson,AZ,USA

Date Reviewed: July 29, 1998

Bottom Line:

I recently bought a VoyagerII, I love the way it rides(16), but the wheels are really CHEAP!!! I bought it in early March, now, in late July, I've had it into the dealer I got it from 3 times.After a short(1.5 mile) ride the front brake starts to catch on the(unwelded) join line.It gets bad enough that it wants to throw me over the bars!Not a good feeling on a downhill!!I still need to bring this to Diamondback's attention, but I don't anticipate a good response from them.Otherwise, it's a great ride, comfortable(unlike my Pine Mtn.) and a damn good looking bike.

Submitted by Joe a weekend warrior from Missoula, MT

Date Reviewed: July 16, 1998

Bottom Line:

My girlfriend and I recently bought the Voyager II's. We took them to Glacier Park for the initial break-in (for US as well as the bikes). We are delighted with the bikes!! We like to do roads as well as moderate off-road - and these bikes fill the ticket. As well as being nice to ride under moderate conditions, the unique frame design attracts nice attention. For the price, features and appearance - it can't be beat !!!

Submitted by Loren a weekend warrior from Northridge, CA

Date Reviewed: January 9, 1998

Bottom Line:

My wife and I recently purchased Diamondback Voyager II (Mountain Cruiser) bikes. We have
always liked Beach Cruisers because they look cool and allow you to sit upright but we also wanted
to occasionally go off road. Anyway, Diamondback's Voyager II is a Cruiser style with light frame
and first rate components. Our riding so far has been about 80% on-road - 20% off-road and the
bikes have performed well at both. Make sure to request the cross tires if most of your riding is on
the road. At a price of approx. $550.00 each, the bikes seem to represent a pretty good value. This
is probably not the right bike for hard core off-roaders but if your looking for a comfortable, good
looking bike that will allow you to jump a couple of stumps on your way to Starbucks, this just might
be the bike for you. If you don't need/want shox, take a look at the Voyager I. There is also a
Voyager III which is slightly lighter and has upgraded components. Wishing you all many good
rides!

Diamondback Voyager II

Anyone know anything about this bike? Years manufactured, how is it equipped? Is it worth $75, used?Read More »