Diamondback V-Link Bike Bike 1998 or Older

4.5/5 (118 Reviews)

Diamondback V-Link 1.0 Bike

Submitted by tony Q. a Weekend Warrior from pittsburg,ca,usa.

Date Reviewed: November 28, 2008

Strengths:    in the short time i owned it i really enjoyed every ride . i would always tell people that it road like a caddy, so soft and smooth yet very strong and lite when it really matters.

Weaknesses:    none that i ever noticed, except that it was such a great bike that it gained the attention of some bike theaves.and on day when i went out to a party they broke into my home and stold my beautiful 1996 v-link 1.0.
since then i have looked high and low for an EXACT replacement

Bottom Line:
the bottom line is that ia am looking for a 1996 diamondback v-link 1.0 . if anyone is selling one.
i would perfer one that was NOT stolen.
i do belive in karma.
when i saw the bike in 96 i started looking for on and found mine in san jose . i started puting payments on it and by the next summer i had payed it off.
and by 2 summers later it was gone .

Favorite Trail:   the world

Purchased At:   santa teresa bike sh

Similar Products Used:   only diamondbacks in black diamond ca.

Bike Setup:   100% ALL ORIGINAL.

Submitted by diamondbacklee a Weekend Warrior from U.K.

Date Reviewed: October 25, 2008

Strengths:    I have owned my Diamondback V link 1.0 for 13 years and only this year have I made and changes to it.The bike has proven to be capable and reliable and has taken everything I have thrown at it over the years both on and off road.It is still going stronge and I do not plan to change it for a new bike as I don't think I will gain anything by doing so if bying another bike within what would be now the same price range.

Weaknesses:    The brake fitted to this bike when new was not all that great.

Bottom Line:
This is a worth while bike and would now make a good second hand purchase if you can find one.I have not seen another one in the 13 years I have owned mine.

Favorite Trail:   Anywhere

Purchased At:   Upminster Bikes (199

Bike Setup:   All round good off road bike

Submitted by Marquism1 a Cross Country Rider from Costa Mesa, CA

Date Reviewed: September 19, 2008

Strengths:    This is for the '97 3.0 V-Link.

Simple but highly functional rear suspension design, overall quality of ride and handling.

Weaknesses:    The stock rear shock is a joke.

Bottom Line:
I found this bike on Craig's List, being sold by someone who basically just wanted to dump it fast. I thought I couldn't go too far wrong for 100 bucks and boy was I ever right. I stripped the whole thing down and rebuilt it completely. I replaced the old Manitou FS Ti fork with a much lighter and more functional Mars Super, replaced the hideous stock shock with a Risse Racing shock, replaced stock seatpost and bars for carbon versions, and finally replaced the XT-gripshift setup with SRAM X9. The bike now weighs just under 25 lbs and rides a lot lighter than that. I could not be happier with the way this thing turned out. The ride quality, suspension, and handling are killer. For an older bike bolstered with a bunch of eBay-special parts, it's exceeded every expectation and continues to do so. It's so good that I've decided that my full-XTR Zaskar LE hardtail just ain't that much fun anymore, compared to the V-Link. I always thought I would hold on to a hardtail for heavy-duty climbing, but I give up almost nothing in climbing on the V-Link and for everything else the V-Link is as good or better than the Zaskar. It actually feels FASTER than the Zaskar, which I never would have believed. So the Zaskar will be stripped and sold, which I would have never even considered before this bike.

Favorite Trail:   If I told you, you'd ride there and we can't have that...

Purchased At:   Craigslist

Similar Products Used:   Dozens of other bikes

Bike Setup:   Risse Racing rear shock, Manitou Mars Super fork, original XT hub-Mavic 221 wheels, XT crank & front der. & brakes, SRAM X9 rear der and shifters.

Submitted by CJ a Cross Country Rider from ATASCADERO, CA, USA

Date Reviewed: August 17, 2007

Strengths:    Polished aluminum Frame and Components, i.e. brakes and shocks, have lasted since April 8, 1998

Weaknesses:    chainstay attached at bottom bracket cracked at thin spot on forged aluminum where it is bolted.

Bottom Line:
Even tho' it was never warranteed for the chainstay crack, I have not welded the crack, nor broken it any further, so my DiamondBack Racing V-Link 3.1 still Flys like the Wind for more than 9 (nine) years!!!!!!!!! [that's 9 (nine) ejaculations, 'er exclamation points]. I'm gonna keep it because it is one of the best-built and best-looking mountain bikes ever! Thank You Jesus!

Favorite Trail:   ROCKY CANYON across Salinas River

Purchased At:   Sunstorm Cyclery Atascadero

Similar Products Used:   None, only hard-tail Schwinn High Plains MTB that was stolen at Kmart locally.

Bike Setup:   Some upgrades: see my page for DBR'97 V-Link 3.1 specs on my Geocities-Yahoo Bike View Heaven Directory at http://www.geocities.com/bikeviewheaven.geo/BVHsitedirectory.htm

Submitted by Ty Hanks a Cross Country Rider from PHX

Date Reviewed: August 24, 2003

Strengths:    Pretty light for what was out then for a full suspension bike.

Weaknesses:    Didn't climb well

Bottom Line:
Was a great bike to begin serious trail riding and even a little downhill. I had the bike for 4 yrs and then tried my buddy's fuel 90 and realized how much better the newer technology (and proper size - my DB was a medium and the fuel was a lg) felt and finally decided to get a new bike. Just purchased a Fisher 293 and LOVE it.

The DB was a good bike for years - it broke down about every third ride but it was usually a component, not the frame. Good stuff for the bucks

Favorite Trail:   Dynamite Rd

Purchased At:   Bike Chalet

Similar Products Used:   Schwinn Hardtail was the only previous bike I had at the time

Bike Setup:   Manitiou fork, specialized bg seat, mavic/deore wheels, Deore front derailer, XT rear, Deore cranks, profile handlebar

Submitted by CJ a Cross Country Rider from Atascadero, CA, USA

Date Reviewed: August 7, 2003

Strengths:    overall design and style, v brakes, Shimano components.

Weaknesses:    aluminum frame cracks

Bottom Line:
There's a chainstay crack across the top above where it is bolted to itself and bolted to the bottom tubing just behind the bottom bracket. DiamondBack, Inc. and retailers have so far refused to warranty it with another similar V brake frame nor even with another recent DBR MtB such as the XTS'03. They want to only exchange it for the XSL'03 which is one of their Mtn. performance frames. In both frames only disc brakes and wheels are used which would cost me hundred$$$!!! But I might sell the parts if anyone needs them for an 18" polished aluminum V Link 3.1 dual suspension frame.

Favorite Trail:   Rocky Canyon - east of Atascadero

Purchased At:   Sunstorm Cyclery - Atascadero, CA

Bike Setup:   see my DBR'97 specs: http://www.geocities.com/bikeviewheaven.geo/dbrvlink3.1specs.html

Submitted by Dave Commins a Weekend Warrior from Nh

Date Reviewed: May 25, 2003

Strengths:    Just a nicely designed solid frame.

Weaknesses:    The only company that still make a similar frame that I know of is Specialized but a little over three inches of travel is a joke and if you step up to the Enduro you might as well spend a few extra $$ and buy a Blur.

Bottom Line:
I have had this bike for over five years (97 v-link) and I only wish I could buy another frame just like it. The frame has a new link that my machinest friend made for me a couple of years ago (he designed it to match the link on his 98 diamondback frame)and it gives it another inch or so of travel and a 100 mm fork balances out the geometry. The spot where the link pivot connects to the bike has become ovalized and it needs to be welded which kind of sucks but this is a heavily modified bike with over 5,ooo miles on it and it has never once been anything other than predictable and 100% reliable in all conditions. I wish Diamondback would get their sh#t together and manufacture a simple frame like this again and lay off the heavy crappy designs of late. The KHS FXT frame is very similar but I think they are moving away from it too, I guess it's just not flashy enough anymore. What a great bike.

Favorite Trail:   Anything @ Bear Brook

Purchased At:   Benson's ski and sport

Bike Setup:   Duke 100 mm fork, Cane Creek AD-12 shock.

Submitted by Murray Turley a Cross Country Rider from Christchurch, New Zealand

Date Reviewed: July 14, 2002

Strengths:    Relatively quick handling
High speed handling very stable
Very strong frame
Very good all round bike

Weaknesses:    Original equipment not very durable. My model is the 1.0, which explains that I guess.

Bottom Line:
I must confess that 4 years ago I reviewed this bike, (26/6/98) after owning it for about four months. I am still riding the same (1997 model V-link 1.0) for a very good reason. This is one good solid machine that does all that I ask of it, and comes back for more. With the upgraded gear on it now, it runs very reliably. With 3 inches of travel on the front and two and a half inches on the back, the travel would be called limited on todays standards. However, the ride is extremely well balanced which goes a long way towards compensating this. It is a quick handling, stable machine, and has no major faults. As a result, it is a bike that is worth while upgrading as parts wear out. I have often looked at new fs bikes, looked at the price and have come to the conclusion that it is not really worth while. Although it weighs approx 28lbs I can live with that. I still enjoy racing it, and it takes the rough stuff no sweat. A great bike, especially considering it's age.
A great bike for both the learner and intermediate rider.

Favorite Trail:   Aorere Goldfields

Purchased At:   Privately

Similar Products Used:   Marin Rift Zone

Bike Setup:   Rear shock (Fastrax) is still the original! Rest of bike is now full LX. Front derailleur is XT. Riser bars. Sachs Power Shift changers. Rockshox Mag 21's on the front. Mavic rim on the front, Araya on the rear. WTB saddle.

Submitted by Scott Ruplinger a Cross Country Rider from Washington, DC

Date Reviewed: January 19, 2002

Strengths:    No pogoing, acceptable weight, strong frame.

Weaknesses:    Rear derailleur hanger bends because of aluminum, poor divetrain selection, horrible customer service.

Bottom Line:
A good buy back in the day, but if you want to ride hard and fast the raer derailleur hanger is a major problem otherwise nice entry level bike.

Similar Products Used:   Klein, Dean Joker

Bike Setup:   Marzocchi bomber front with rock shox vanilla rx rear, icon clipless, dean seat post.

Submitted by Elvis a Cross Country Rider from Wellington, NZ

Date Reviewed: October 8, 2001

Strengths:    Pretty tough and reliable

Weaknesses:    Not indestructible

Bottom Line:
Found my earlier review of 14/10/97. I've had this bike for 4 years now and am sitting on 6700ks, still mainly off-road commuting. My riding style is much more conservative now, got a number of injuries, but I still manage the Karapoti Classic most years. I am only on my second DH Magic after 4 years, but about my forth rear tyre. On my 3rd XT rear deraileur. Changed the front sprockets to Black Spire, had alot of trouble with changing. Ditched my XLR front derailer for XT and all changing problems now solved due to the correct spacers being used! (I like 46T/32T combo, but needed 36T for middle) Although I have cracked frame links twice, the matter was so quickly resolved by the NZ agent I am convinced DB are onto a good thing here. My biggest complaint is simply maintenance compared to hard tail i.e. twice as much servicing and twice the cost of servicing. The Rock Shox rear shock should probably be something else. All shock adjustments get very stiff. Its just that I have spent on lot on servicing and expensive kits and stuff, but it only ever seems to run like a dream for about 2 weeks. The remaining 6 months are just "very good". You know that feeling when you've got a brand new bike? Can't beat it. Only other change might be to put DH bars on. LX V-brakes and gears still great. Have installed brake cartridges, creamed three rear rims and two front rims. I stick with my original 4 chillis.

Bike Setup:   Judy DH, LX v-brakes and changers, XT deraileurs, 747 pedals, DH Magic front, On the Rocks rear

Submitted by Alex Przygoda a Downhiller from Oxnard, CA USA

Date Reviewed: July 14, 2001

Strengths:    Overall great bike, nice frame geometry, good OEM spec's for beginner / mid-grade rider. I've heavily modified mine however. Had a Mech. Eng. major at Texas A&M mill me a new rear link, i get 5" travel in the rear now. RST Delta XXL front fork, original mavic rims are still running hard and true, quando hubs prolly need replacing, shimano DX v-brakes, and M636 pedals. Had missile tires on it but the sidewalls finally went after 2 years in a rocky environment and mis adjusted V-Brakes (still tread on the f-er's though)

Weaknesses:    rear shock must GO!!! i hate that #$*(&#)(*&#$ thing.. i think Stratos makes a Helix shock for it..

Bottom Line:
i highly recommend the 3.0, but if you want extra travel without finding a machinist and doing design work, get the 3.1 for cheap and get the upgrade link. (3.0 uses slightly different link design) great bike for DH, XC, and a sport bike, hell, i won 3 DH races on the thing (sport class) i've prolly spent $5,000 over the life of the thing upgrading it and picking up tools.

Favorite Trail:   Emma Long MX Park, Austin Texas

Purchased At:   Cycle Scene

Similar Products Used:   V-Link pro, Mountain Cycle San Andreas

Bike Setup:   OEM except for titec berserkr seat, thomson seatpost, Coda tarantula cranks, bullet brothers chain tensioners, RST delta XXL fork, Yeti SpeedGrips, M636 pedals, DX v-brakes,

Submitted by Dustin a Cross Country Rider from Cincinnati, Oh USA

Date Reviewed: May 7, 2001

Strengths:    This frame is amazing...mid 5 lbs for full suspension...not bad at all! Light, quick, cimbs well, great geometry, active suspension on downhills, no bob on climbs

Weaknesses:    None so far, weak component selection stock

Bottom Line:
THis bike was my first true mountain bike, and truthfully, I am having a hard time giving it up. THe frame is still in excellent condition, so I see no reason to get rid of it. IT is truly the perfect fs bike for a cross-country rider who likes to go fast downhill, and still wants to hang with the hardtails on the climbs. When built up (in the process) this can become a serious xc fs bike, if not an all out racing machine. I would swap the rear shock in my particular year as i have done, it makes a world of difference. I new front fork would also be nice, but other than that no complaints from me.

Favorite Trail:   Ceasar's creek

Similar Products Used:   Pro-fllex 757, DBR WCF 4.0

Bike Setup:   DBR v-link 3.0 frame, xt/mavic wheels, sram 7.0, bontrager cranks and saddle, titec stemm, bar,seatpost, manitou mach V comp xc with speed springs, stratos helix pro shock, all other parts XT, IRC notos tires

Submitted by Bryant Platt a Downhiller from North Fork

Date Reviewed: April 23, 2001

Strengths:    Speed!!!!!!!!!!!!!! This bick can handle prity good speeds...............

Weaknesses:    Seat and seat Crank. The seat keeps comeing loose and the bolt is geting striped from me having to keep tightining it!!!!!!!!!!!! And thats after having to poot a Lock Nutt on it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bottom Line:
This is the best bike I've ever riden!!!!!!! It's capable of good speed (even thogh im no good at tricks). It handling isn't very good after awile. This bike is good for down Hill-Flat grownd riders (note that I dont know about tricks.) Not the best up-hill bike........................But good.

Favorite Trail:   The Whole Mountan Side-School

Purchased At:   Fresno

Similar Products Used:   None... My other bike isn't comparible...

Bike Setup:   Stock

Submitted by Eric a Weekend Warrior from arizona

Date Reviewed: July 31, 2000

Strengths:    price was right,fast,light,strong.

Weaknesses:    none from me, but diamondback is known for poor service.

Bottom Line:
Stock, for the money you will love it! I have been riding this one for 3 years, no problems! Excellent design and no-bob. Even better with Cane Creek AD-10 and Bomber fork.

Favorite Trail:   south mountain