Diamondback Sorrento Bike Bike 1998 or Older

3.78/5 (82 Reviews)

Diamondback Sorrento SE Bike

Submitted by The Criz a Cross Country Rider from São Paulo, Brazil

Date Reviewed: September 15, 2011

Strengths:    For over 13 years, i use the same cro-mo frame, regularly update the shimano components and i guess i won't change my bike in this life... Just the parts!

Weaknesses:    The standard 22.2 frame, difficults to find a suspension or stem that fits perfect, so i always search at old school bike stores, the modern, fancy stores ain't have it! And makes that ugly face 4 my old bike made new!

Bottom Line:
I've made over 60 000 km on her, and she is still loyal and young! She is my everyday transport. Her baptism were at Sorrento, Italy. Where I return every year, to ride the Amalfitan Coast.

Favorite Trail:   Road

Purchased At:   The store no longer

Similar Products Used:   She is being enough to me, for years!

Bike Setup:   Diamond Back 1998 cro-mo frame, shimano 52 teeth crank, 8 speed shimano acera shifters, shimano sora rear and front derailers, pro shock e80R front suspension, pirelli scorpion R/T hybrid tire set.

Submitted by Hogg a Weekend Warrior from Ottawa

Date Reviewed: August 12, 2011

Strengths:    Love this bike, especially for the price paid. This is a very sturdy bike, light weight and the ride is smooth. Shifting is very smooth as well. I now have close to 75k on it already and I definatly love this bike. The one I have is Red and White Sorrento 2011. Boutht at sportchek. Price was 350$ on sale for 250$ but idiots at Barhaven Sportchek in Ottawa made huge mistake so the took 50$ off. Paid 199$.

Weaknesses:    As all the other posts, the seat is not that comfertable and the plastic pedals dont impress me. I have not had any issues with the pedals as of yet. Changing them anyway this week for metal ones. The seat will also be changed very soon.
Bike looks great.

Bottom Line:
This is my first bike since I was a kid. I am a heavy guy, 260lbs and I have had no issues with this bike. I would buy it again in a heartbeat.

Plan to put lots of miles on it and will repost to let everyone know how it holds up.

Eventually move up to a better bike but for now its AWSOME.

Favorite Trail:   Carillon Park

Purchased At:   Sportchek

Bike Setup:   Disk brakes, front suspension that locks awsome bike!

Submitted by Marvic a Weekend Warrior from Hot Sulphur Springs

Date Reviewed: May 18, 2011

Strengths:    Durable, no failuers after 200+ miles

Weaknesses:    Heavier than a $1000+ bike, I wished the handelbars adjusted "up" farther to match my frame, super long legs -average torso. Please, no circus clown jokes

Bottom Line:
If there was a better bike at or below $400 I would be riding that. For the money, the Sorento was a good investment and meets my requirements. At the time I purchased mine, there was many frame sizes and colors to choose from and were in stock at most sporting goods stores in Denver. I shoped all year long and learned the best prices were not off season but in the spring.

Favorite Trail:   HSS-Windy Gap on sunday morn.

Purchased At:   sports authority den

Similar Products Used:   Simalar priced bikes, like mine better

Bike Setup:   2008 model, beautiful deep blue, 28" tall frame. No modifications.

Submitted by jonapran a Cross Country Rider from on

Date Reviewed: May 9, 2011

Strengths:    good shifting decent braking light tough rims and frame

Weaknesses:    chain bows fork pedals

Bottom Line:
Awesome with new pedals and fork ,cheap for good bike with disk brakes.

Purchased At:   sportchek

Similar Products Used:   diamondback smokin
kranked factor

Bike Setup:   2011

Submitted by minhas a Racer from vacaville, Ca

Date Reviewed: August 31, 2010

Strengths:    good handleing on sharp turns.
sturdy frame.

Weaknesses:    the derailure would jam or over adjust the chain and it would come off the rail.
the back tire popped and deflated the first ten minuets of riding for no reason at all.

Bottom Line:
it was the worst bike i have ever used. a wallmart bike would last longer!

Favorite Trail:   none

Purchased At:   costco

Submitted by xCATCH22x a Weekend Warrior from Macomb, Michigan, USA

Date Reviewed: July 20, 2010

Strengths:    It's a solidly built, (mostly)quality product. The thumb shift mechanism is astronomically better than the twist-grip shifter I was used to. The brakes are amazing, and the stock tires seem to be holding up well.

Weaknesses:    The stock pedals were rubbish. I broke both of them, but they were replaced with a pair of Diamondback steel ones. The deraillure setup has failed on me twice, and the entire back wheel has been replaced due to an internal ratchet issue. If I stopped pedaling, the ratchet wouldn't lock, so I'd have to pedal like crazy, to catch up to where I was in the wheel. The front fork is entirely too soft in my mind.

Bottom Line:
I think this is a solid, great bike. But some adjustments need to be made so it will stand up to the abuse I dish out. I'm looking for an enclosed rear gearset and a new front fork. also, eventually a new set of BMX handlebars, to differentiate it from the pack, and a new set of black rims.

Favorite Trail:   Backwoods area 3 miles from my home

Purchased At:   Dick's Sporting Good

Similar Products Used:   I haven't owned another bike that lasted more than 3 months. I kill bikes, so this one, lasting over a year, is a great product.

Bike Setup:   Stock except for the new steel pedals and a Bell handlebar light (a ride in the dark ended badly, it's precautionary)

Submitted by pedro a Cross Country Rider from wasilla alaska

Date Reviewed: March 25, 2010

Strengths:    strong and sterdy frame. well balanced, good brakes.

Weaknesses:    stock pedals and seat

Bottom Line:
This is the best bike ive ever used, It is really sturdy, tough and climbs up hills like a dream, I love it. If you like riding cross country should get it.

Purchased At:   sports authority

Submitted by inflatableit a Weekend Warrior from kansas, USA

Date Reviewed: September 30, 2009

Strengths:    value for the $$; durable frame; good rider position if you don't want to ride tucked down

Weaknesses:    cheap pedals and seat

Bottom Line:
I've owned this bike for 10 years. I also had an older cannondale road bike so I traded off. I sold the cannondale because I tired of the road experience. Great first and intermediate bike for commuting, path, and trail riding.

Purchased At:   heartland cycle

Bike Setup:   stock components, different seat and grips, barends, hybrid tires

Submitted by tampalandbeast a Weekend Warrior from porter ranch

Date Reviewed: September 28, 2009

Strengths:    This bike handles well and the frame seems sturdy. The brakes stop great for rim brakes as well. Much of this could be irrevelant seeing that I am only 14, 5ft. 6in. and 120 lbs.

Weaknesses:    The fork cant handle any sort of shock, at all. The wheels are weak and even i was able to bend them pretty bad. The brakes don't like to stay adjusted. This bike also does not like changing gears or goinf up hills. The chain also has a habit of coming out of place. It is a little heavy as well for such a simple set up but that is reflected from the price.

Bottom Line:
This isnt a bad bike for the price. It should be used for light and flat trails. It does handle nicely. If you get this bike just change the fork and wheels, and you would have an ok bike. This is a good first mountain bike but u might want to get rid of it as you get on some more tricky trails

Favorite Trail:   tampa land, offroad

Purchased At:   Sports Chalet

Similar Products Used:   T
Any bike found at the "high-end" area at walmart.

Bike Setup:   16in. fully stock.

Submitted by Flint0313 a Weekend Warrior from Sandy, OR

Date Reviewed: August 25, 2009

Strengths:    Handling and overall ride

Weaknesses:    V-brakes and weak fork suspension.

Bottom Line:
Not the first choice of bike to take to Mountain Bike Oregon, but it survived. The front forks about shook me off the mountain and I was praying the brakes would hold...as they did. I took it home, cleaned it up and you couldn't tell I had just got done asking to much of it. For under $300.00 it is well worth it.

Favorite Trail:   Flat Creek

Purchased At:   Sports Authority

Bike Setup:   Suspension seat post, different pedals, climbing bars, metal backed brake pads.

Submitted by Lulu a Weekend Warrior from spokane, WA USA

Date Reviewed: July 29, 2009

Strengths:    Strong dependable bike. Love the gold color.

Weaknesses:    After 2 yrs I heard a clicking with pedaling. For $15 the chain, derailer etc... were all taken apart, put back together and now work just fine.

Bottom Line:
I use this as a commuter bike. I had hybrid tires put on it for street riding with some light weight fenders to keep debris off of my work clothes. I ride down hill to work and climb super steep hills going home. This has been a super dependable bike. I ride year round as well, regardless of the weather.

Favorite Trail:   Hiawatha-up and down

Purchased At:   Sport Authority

Similar Products Used:   Schwinn

Submitted by Ry95 a Weekend Warrior from Mt. Pleasant, SC

Date Reviewed: July 23, 2009

Strengths:    Great bike for the price, i got a great deal. Sram shifters, great brakes, sturdy and relatively light.

Weaknesses:    none so far.

Bottom Line:
This is a really great bike. I would recommend this to anybody looking for a great starter or great intermediate bike. The brakes are great, it shifts really well, Kenda tires, trail xc shocks, sturdy and durable frame, good overall parts. I love this bike.

Purchased At:   Sports Authority

Bike Setup:   All stock, Bontrager insulated water bottle cage

Submitted by iamthebaron a Cross Country Rider from Overland Park, Ks, USA

Date Reviewed: July 14, 2009

Strengths:    Rode well for the first four months, good bike for a teenager looking for a solid ride around a neighborhood.

Weaknesses:    There's a problem with the gears. I've taken it back to Dick's twice but they've got no idea what's going on. I purchased a service warranty for it so all the work that's been done on it has been free, but it's still frustrating. The second time I took it in they replaced the crank, but that still doesn't seem to have fixed the problem. Without this problem, it would be a really solid bike.

Bottom Line:
This bike has the potential to be really solid, and the best that I've ridden. the problem with the gears has me considering ditching the bike altogether and considering the whole thing a mistake.

Favorite Trail:   Creekside

Purchased At:   Dick's Sporting Good

Submitted by backbay a Cross Country Rider from Boston, MA

Date Reviewed: June 7, 2009

Strengths:    Stability both at high and low speed.

Weaknesses:    No critical issues, considering price - same as in other 2006-2008 reviews

Bottom Line:
Good choice for everyday commuters who don't hesitate riding on not so perfect surfaces.

Try to get 2008 model. I can still see it in my local bike shop.

The 2009 model had reverted to "basics": cheap components, including shifter, single wall rims, lousy shocks, low quality tires. In other words: beside the frame, 2009 Sorrento model got close to typical department store merchandises.

Purchased At:   Dicks

Bike Setup:   2008 default stock + 1.75 tires + fenders

Submitted by iforgotmename a Cross Country Rider from Ohio

Date Reviewed: February 21, 2009

Strengths:    Great bike ...I have rode this bike on every kind o trail...from road to agressive singletrack.Great frame...I am rebuilding this bike.

Weaknesses:    None...not even the plastic wtb pedals...they never broke just upgraded because I like to.

Bottom Line:
Great bike. I will probably have this frame forever.

Favorite Trail:   wherever

Purchased At:   Dicks

Similar Products Used:   Too many to count.

Bike Setup:   At present shimano tiagra 50 39 30 cranksetdeore xt shifters deore lx rear d rock shox tora 3418 fork and last but least mavic crossride rims...stay away....junk Tiers change due to conditions.