Diamondback Response Bike 1998 or Older

4.37/5 (51 Reviews)

Diamondback Response SE

Submitted by ken mccrohan a Cross Country Rider from Libby, Montana, US

Date Reviewed: May 18, 2011

Strengths:    I actually bought 2 diamondbacks. One for 250, and one for 320. They worked great for about 3 weeks.

Weaknesses:    Rear rim strength is inadequate. The spokes keep breaking.
Derailleur are of low quality. Had one just fall off. Front sprocket improper spacing. Chain pinches in between.

Bottom Line:
These are the worst bikes we have ever bought. They were definitely NOT worth what we paid. We will NOT recommend to anyone to buy Diamondback bicycles. They are very poorly built! We would have done better to buy a $100 bike at a department store.

Favorite Trail:   street

Purchased At:   Libby Sports Center

Similar Products Used:   Mongoose brand

Bike Setup:   street

Submitted by DFDMedic726 a Weekend Warrior from Sterling heights MI USA

Date Reviewed: April 13, 2011

Strengths:    great frame, doesn't feel cramped at all.

Weaknesses:    none i can detect

Bottom Line:
this is my first real mtn bike and i love it. i can't say anything bad as it has yet to dissapoint me. the chain was slipping as i put power into the pedals, however, a tuneup and adjustment fixed that. bottom line, i love it and it gets me out onto the trails that kicked my old "mtn bikes" ass

Favorite Trail:   stoney creek

Purchased At:   Paul's bike Depot

Similar Products Used:   iron man bull crap, murry something or other

Bike Setup:   stock

Submitted by James a Weekend Warrior from Menifee CA

Date Reviewed: July 1, 2010

Strengths:    Size 18 fit and feel with the riser bar. Geometry is responsive yet not cramped. Attractive design and color combo. (White with Black and Red stickering). Aluminum frame is bombproof and stylish. Cable activated disks are responsive yet low maintenance. Drivetrain is smooth and durable. X4 Shifters are comfortable and responsive. Plastic pedals were questionable at first but feel just like my FIT pedals I have on my 20 inch. I prefer platforms.

Weaknesses:    Spinner fork is horrible.... Spinner customer service is excellent though. I called to ask what I could do to stiffen up the feel and the guy sent me a Heavy spring free of charge. Since then the compression adjuster has blown up and I'm riding around with it popping and snapping with very little compression resisitance and a jerky dampening action... until I get it replaced at least. Stock grips suck... Brake levers are cheap. Had to go over bike assembly little by little. Thought the crank arm was stripped but just simply not torked properly. Rear hub is a little sloppy, minor play in the cassette.

Bottom Line:
I love my bike... I bought it looking at the welds, bottom bracket, rims and controls. I could tell the price range was because Diamondback saved money throwing that crappy fork on. I figured I'd pay a "Black Friday" price for as much bike as I could and upgrade components as they broke... With exception of the Fork..... I've beat the hell out of it and it still performs. I weight 280 and always bomb a thirty stair at the school by the house... It does everything I would expect a hard tail to be able to do. Especially for a guy my size.

Favorite Trail:   Tsali Trails NC, Santa Rosa Loop CA

Purchased At:   Sports Chalet

Similar Products Used:   Specialized Rock Hopper and Ground Control, GT Timberline.

Bike Setup:   Basically still stock except, Ergon 3 Grips, tool pouch, light, computer and a couple tubes.... Ha.

Submitted by responsefox09 a Weekend Warrior from Muncie

Date Reviewed: September 29, 2009

Strengths:    The frame! Wheels will take a beating. I am 250lbs and after 3 months of trail riding the wheels are still true.

Weaknesses:    Brakes, and the most horrible thing about this bike is the Edge Spinner fork. If you buy this bike plan on buying a new fork!

Bottom Line:
This is a great bike. I have put a lot of upgrades on it of course but it's still a good starting point. This is the perfect bike for someone starting out. I believe it's the best bang for your buck when looking for an entry level bike. Rides like a dream with the fox 36r on the front of it!

Favorite Trail:   Westwood

Purchased At:   Goldman's

Similar Products Used:   Iron Horse, Giant Boulder SE, Jamis XAM-1

Bike Setup:   Fox 36R fork, Avid bb7 disc, 20mm thru hub up front, Trigon carbon bars with integrated stem, shimano xt cranks, and shimano xtr F/R derailer and old school Shimano DX platform clip pedals.

Submitted by CBDaugherty a Weekend Warrior from Fayetteville

Date Reviewed: June 15, 2009

Strengths:    Super stiff frame, great brakes, very smooth shifting, 0 chain/derailer noise.

Weaknesses:    None yet only have about 20 miles on the bike.

Bottom Line:
Love the Bike, strong and silent. Great bike at a great price especially for weekend or beginner usage.
I bought the 2009 Response on clearance @ Dicks in Fayetteville GA, great Service Dept.

Favorite Trail:   Pine Mountain

Purchased At:   Dicks Fayetteville G

Similar Products Used:   Frontier GS

Bike Setup:   6061 T-6 Aluminum All-Mountain Hard Tail Frame, Easton Vice Stem, Rock Shox Frt Susp., Kenda Klaw Tires, Avid BB5 Mechanical Disc Brakes, Shimano Alivio derailleur, SRAM SX-5 9-spd Trigger Shifters, SRAM Derailleurs, Sun Ditch Witch Double Wall Rims, WTB Pure V Sport Saddle,

Submitted by vcortes a Weekend Warrior from San Juan, Puerto Rico

Date Reviewed: June 13, 2009

Strengths:    frame,brakes,crankset,rear derailleurs and shifters

Weaknesses:    fork,pedals,tires

Bottom Line:
It's a good entry level bike for the price compare with other bikes @ same price. Stock bike is good but needs upgrade for xc purpose.

Purchased At:   Bike Stop

Bike Setup:   Mavic Crossride,RockShock Recon SL, WTB Exiwolf folding tires, Shimano clip pedals, seat post race face, stem and handlebar trutaviv & Hayes brakelevels

Submitted by tony_tiger_35 a Cross Country Rider from Castaic, CA

Date Reviewed: May 13, 2009

Strengths:    Great bike for the money, strong and stiff frame (XL) for taller riders (I'm 6'4") and has the addition of disc brakes.

Weaknesses:    Tires that came on it (Kenda Klaw) were horrible, washed out way too easily on almost every surface and had MANY flats. Replaced with some Velociraptors that work great. Pedals suck, replace with clipless right away.

Bottom Line:
This bike is great for accepting punishment and not complaining. I ride at least 30-45 miles/week on monstly firerode and single track and this bike has held in there with minimal upgrades. I suggest this bike for anyone looking to get into the sport but not yet sure if they will still be into it 1 year from now and want to test the waters before a large investment. I am now waiting on my new Sultan 29er, but will def. keep this bike in the roster for future rides.

Favorite Trail:   Placerita Cyn

Purchased At:   Reseda Bikes, Reseda

Bike Setup:   Stock with addition of LX Deore cranks, XT FD, and Velociraptor tires

Submitted by conceptnext a Weekend Warrior from Burlington

Date Reviewed: May 12, 2009

Strengths:    Great solid frame, great control on downhills. I have beeen using it on most intermediate trails in Vermont and Upstate Newyork and havn't had any problems after the first tune up.

Weaknesses:    Stock pedals could be better, replaced them with clipless

Bottom Line:
Great bike on the market in for the price, not for those that want to launch off platforms, but for cross-country expeditions couldnt ask for much better than this. I ride almost every weekend and even when this bike was stock (other than pedals)never broke anything on it.

Favorite Trail:   Saxon Hill

Similar Products Used:   Ironhourse Warrier

Bike Setup:   All stock parts ( Shimano- midrange parts)

Submitted by Savino a Cross Country Rider from NY,NY,US

Date Reviewed: April 20, 2009

Strengths:    Its a great bike. Has realy good suspention and has very strong disk brakes. The Tires are made strong and wide for off road and never had a flat yet.

Weaknesses:    There is no Weaknesses

Bottom Line:
Its one of the best bikes i have been on and it is 100% worth the money. I had for a year and i use it every day and i still had no problems.

Favorite Trail:   Dunkin Hill trails

Purchased At:   Dicks Sporting Goods

Similar Products Used:   I use to have a mongus wich was also a good bike but it doesnt compare to this model.

Submitted by illwill88 a Downhiller from Greenville, SC

Date Reviewed: February 15, 2009

Strengths:    Great bike for beginners on trails. mine is a 2007 model not older than 1998.

Weaknesses:    NOT for Jumping!!! the only reason i use mine for downhill is cause i am 16 and have hardly any money. front fork sucks i put a bomber44 140mm on front so its a little better. but saving up for Jamis parker 1

Bottom Line:
Beginner trail riders buy this bike. everyone else look away.

Favorite Trail:   Paris Mountain

Purchased At:   Sports Authority

Similar Products Used:   Specialized hardrock 2007

Bike Setup:   upgrade to deore rear derailleur cause the acera didnt stand a chance against drops and snapped

Submitted by FroggyBiker a Cross Country Rider from pittsburgh pa usa

Date Reviewed: January 26, 2009

Strengths:    one of the strongest aluminum frames made. I have built alot of custom bikes over the years (26 years to be exact) and the Response frame is one of my all time favotites. it is stiff but not overly so. can easily handel a longer travel fork than comes stock on it. and handels the tightest curves at high speed without beating you to death while doing it

Weaknesses:    a frame of this quality deserves better componentry if you buy it upgrade the parts its well worth it! the only thing I did'nt cair for was that awful dirty kermie green on the 06 Green is my favorite color but that green YECH! the brown on the 09 is alot nicer!!

Bottom Line:
BUY IT DUDE!!!! this rig rocks especialy for the price paid most folks would be happy whith the factory set up it is well worth upgrading the components if you desire a hardtail rig that can take whatever you throw at I used mine for everything including log hopping!!and this rig ate it up....I did things with this rig that has killed many of my past custom builds... the thing that killed mine was a car! well that and log hopping at hartwood a few days later... hey every bike has its limits!!!! I am planning on getting a 2009 when taxes come back and building it basicly like the last one I had ( it was a 2006)

Favorite Trail:   Waldo canyon ( outside Manitou springs colorado)

Purchased At:   Dicks

Similar Products Used:   where should I start??? the closest rig frame wise was the SPECIALIZED Hardrock a great frame in it self however the Diamondback is a much nicer ride though based off the same design

Bike Setup:   well mine was full custom when I finished it the only factory part left was the bottom bracket spindel

Submitted by beowulf a Cross Country Rider from rhode island

Date Reviewed: October 10, 2008

Strengths:    tough frame. looks gangsta. rides well over rocks and roots. while it may be a lil heavy, so am i, i broke my apex which was lighter. still i am comfortable with this bike.

Bottom Line:
i am really pleased w. pedal power as they honored the warrantee on my olf frame and put together this bike w. old and new parts where the spec.s did not match.

Favorite Trail:   weetamo woods

Purchased At:   pedal power

Similar Products Used:   06 diamondback apex

Bike Setup:   xt front and rear derailleur. truvative firex cranks and xr handles. deore shifters and haynes mech. mx 2 brakes. cane creek headset. tora 302 front shocks. wtb speed disc rear w. xt hub and wheel works front. all w. kenda nevegal tomac stick-e 2.1. wtb seat and diamondback seat post.

Submitted by driver042003 a Downhiller from Brooklyn ohio united states

Date Reviewed: October 2, 2008

Strengths:    awsome frame and major components no complications.

Weaknesses:    stock rear deralior suck, but when changed is best.

Bottom Line:
best bike for for the price and the prices i posted was after tax! so yea it is an awsome bike and i would highly recomend it to an biker looking to buy a mtb. when bought from dick's assembaly was horrible, i had to re-assemble the entire bike myself! but over-all GREAT bike

Favorite Trail:   bayvillage metroparks

Purchased At:   dick's

Similar Products Used:   trek and specialized, iron hourse

Bike Setup:   front susp. and aftermarket disk brakes

Submitted by biggymatt a Cross Country Rider from West Fargo, North Dakota, United States

Date Reviewed: July 21, 2008

Strengths:    Very Strong Frame, nice suspension, cruises well hanldes bumps easy...gives u a feeling that your "eating up the road"

Weaknesses:    In 2 weeks ive probley put 50-80 miles on this bike and some of the peices dont seam to be able to hold up...i was using this on a dirt bmx track and the front suspension got kinda messed up...and i already bent the rear sespionsion o there wise theres no complaints...i would buy another in a heart beat

Bottom Line:
Bike handles very nice and is a very nice bike like i said ive had a few problems with it but it runs like a beast and is a animal...would get another one in a heartbeat