Cultech Monte Blanco Bike 1998 or Older

Cultech Monte Blanco

Submitted by David a Weekend Warrior from Northern California

Date Reviewed: March 31, 2008

Strengths:    Strong frame. Original parts still work

Weaknesses:    Heavy bike.

Bottom Line:
I used this for over 15 years and it still works. I bought it when I was 13 in Okinawa, Japan on Kadena AFB and rode it all over the island. I then took it with me to Northern California where I continued to ride it all over the place. Had to do occasional tune-ups, but this thing is still going strong. Damn good bike for a no name brand from the military, and we all know they go with the lowest bidder.

Favorite Trail:   Okinawa

Purchased At:   AAFES Kadena AFB Okinawa Japan

Bike Setup:   Stock

Submitted by Craig a Weekend Warrior from Camp Lejeune, NC

Date Reviewed: March 8, 2008

Strengths:    Light T7005 Aluminum, mid-level Shimano components

Weaknesses:    Heavy, low end (performance) front suspension fork out of place with higher quality frame and drive components. Price is high, but the next best thing for a lower price available at the time was a $200.00 Huffy if you catch my drift.

Bottom Line:
I've had this bike nearly 11 years now (purchased in 1997). I beat it all around Okinawa from Nago to Naha and everywhere in between during two different tours and it performed great. It's been sitting more often than not for a few years now. It sat outside for the last year and still looks great! After cleaning it and lubing it I took it for a short ride and it works good as new; I just need to replace the rusty cables! I just move back in the barracks, so I'll be using it to get around Camp Lejeune instead of my gas hog Dodge Ram.

Favorite Trail:   The steps (somewhere near Camp Hansen)

Purchased At:   AAFES Kadena AFB BX, Okinawa

Similar Products Used:   2 Diamond Back mountain bikes; I forget the models.

Submitted by Don a Weekend Warrior from V. B., VA, USA

Date Reviewed: September 25, 2004

Strengths:    Bullet Proof, Welds

Weaknesses:    Weight

Bottom Line:
Rode hard and put away wet. Gnarly wipeouts that would have cracked the Cannondale, the Cultech frame is rust proof, fissure free, and unbendable. But, the frame weighs in as a couple of cinder blocks. great for training my 160lbs. a$$. Got my $$$ worth, I would buy one used for $10, but these days you'd be better off getting something up-to-date.

Favorite Trail:   Spider Alley, Okinawa

Purchased At:   Kadena BX

Similar Products Used:   Cannondale "Beast of the East", Specialized Rock Hopper

Bike Setup:   Manitou Pro X, Stock except for Upgrade to grips, brake pads, tires, and MegaRange 7 Speed

Submitted by Jan a Weekend Warrior from Richmond, VA, USA

Date Reviewed: September 4, 2004

Strengths:    Lightweight aluminum frame

Weaknesses:    Made in Taiwan

Bottom Line:
I really love this bike...it has been a sturdy, dependable mountain bike...nothing fancy or flashy, not a big name (who makes cultech, anyway). It's light enough for me to protage (I weigh 135 lbs). The original seat was replaced with a more comfortable one, one with the strategic "holes."
Otherwise, I'm riding with original equipment. The bike gets a safety tune up each season, but even with encounters with tree roots and curbs, I haven't had any major problems with it. It was a bit expensive, but after four years of riding, the bike was well worth the money.

Purchased At:   Okinaw/Kadena BX

Similar Products Used:   Diamondback Sorrento SE

Bike Setup:   Shimano gears and brakes; sierra magic fork

Submitted by Matt Nielsen a Weekend Warrior from Medina, NY USA

Date Reviewed: August 21, 2002

Strengths:    None

Weaknesses:    The whole bike sucks.

Bottom Line:
This bike was the only bike sold at the base I was staioned at. It was a total waste of money. I swear the bike must weight 70lbs.

It sits on my deck all year and I never use it. I was laughed at for trying to sell it for $10 at a garage sale.

Huffy, makes a better bike!

Purchased At:   Airforce base BX