Crescent Gram Bike 1998 or Older

crescent

3 months

Submitted by Peter Larsson a cross-country rider from Sweden

Date Reviewed: March 10, 1999

Bottom Line:

I have a Crescent Gram -97 with XTR-parts,Rock Shox SID-98 and Mavic 517. I have had some steel bikes (Kona Kilauea -94 and a KHS). Then I wanted a Ti-bike so I bought a Park Pre Pro Elite. It was OK but it wasn´t something special compared to the steel bikes I had had. Then I got a great offer from my local dealer to trade in my Park Pre to a Gram (of course with some extra money). This bike was really great. It handles very nice and easy in tough terrain and is very determined on the easy parts. I think that the SID fork is very good and i haven´t had any problems so far. I can´t understand that there are so many people out there that don`t like it. OK I haven´t tried a Merlin, Litespeed or Moots but I really like my bike. It´s perfect for the long distance races that I take part in (you should try Finnmarksturen a 112 km long race which Gary Fisher took part in in 1997 and really enjoyed).

Submitted by Tommy Engström a cross-country rider from Sweden

Date Reviewed: February 20, 1999

Bottom Line:

This bike is made by Crescent, a classic Swedish bicycle brand that is equally well-known here in Sweden as Schwinn in the USA.
Crescent has made quality bikes, mainly for the roadies for centuries and in -95 they came out with a bunch of nice mountainbikes. The two top-models are the Ultima (a classic hardtail constructed of Tange Ultimate Superlight tubing in -97, Reynolds 853 pipes in -98 and finally of Columbus Altec 2 for aluminiumtubes this year.) and the Gram, which has a titaniumframe.
The Ultima -98 retails for 3100$ with XT/XTR and a SID fork and this year it can be had for only 3900$ with complete XTR, SID SL Ti and a set of Magura Louise XC Discbrakes.My review is about the Gram -96 which has a straightforward Sandvik 3/2,5 titaniumframe, an XTR gruppo and finally a Marzocchi Z 2 Atom Bomb SE instead of the regular Judy SL fork that I was not quite satisfied with.
It is pretty expensive, but American readers should know that MTBs, forks and other related stuff is at least 30% more expensive in Sweden than in the USA due to high tax rate and the European Union trading rules that more or less bans stuff from other countries that not belong to the Union. Same thing for the European stuff in the USA. It´s because of that a set of French CrossMax wheels is 20% dearer in the USA than in Sweden. Enough with politic-stuff for now...The bike I have is a Teambike. Not a replica - It is the real thing. It belonged to one of the female members (I managed to buy the bike from her second hand) of Team Crescent Sweden and the small sized frame fits my short lenght perfect.
The frame is pretty similar to the Dean Scout, which also has ti-tubes from Sandvik. Construction quality is very good but not as good as Merlins, Sevens or Ibis´ titaniumbikes. (an Ibis Ti Mojo frame retails for about 3500$ in Sweden and in the UK that frame costs a whopping 3800$ while the Americans only pays 2800$.....)
The often hyped ti-feeling is in fact no hype or fake marketing-ploy. It is a reality, at least when the welder does the right thing and chooses the more expensive tubes from Ancotech, Haynes or Sandvik instead of the Russian or Far Eastern ones.
Frameweight is 3,5 lbs and the layout is pretty like the American Kona and the Canadian Rocky Mountain frames due to the very technical terrain that is often found in Sweden. And like the bikers who live in the UK, Swedish ones often encounters rain and nasty mud.
That is the main reason why the Gram does not come with fluffy CNC milled components that weighs nothing and has no strenght and durability for riding in the real world. (Are all designers who appears to live in the Atacama Desert listening?)
A good-fitting, durable and un-painted titaniumframe, a complete XTR gruppo, a pair of Atom Bomb SE forks and a nice and durable wheelset built of XTR/Mavic X 517/DT Comp. - who needs more when riding in the rough?
Of course - this bike is no winner in the weight department. But no races are won by putting a bike on a scale...
My bike, with Atom Bomb forks, weighs about 25 lbs. That is heavy with a big H, but my cranks have never broke apart like one of my friends White Ind. crankset. Remember that I have the -96 version. The newer ones will have funky S-bends like the Merlin and Seven frames. (my frame has regular stays like Ibis)
This year (-99), the Gram has an oversized and multi-shaped titanium downtube like Litespeed´s Owl Hollow and the Bianchi Mega Ti.
I don´t know if these changes will alter the riding charasteristics dramaticly when
comparing my older frame with them, but what I know is that I have made a great decision in buying a ti bike. Ti rules! My next bike will, however, be either an XLM, YBB SL, Sola or a Ti Mojo.
Great (but expensive..) frames with an attitude that is way cooler than all copy- cat-wannabees in the world.
By the way, my bike is not a racer´s bike. No ex-roadie MTB racer will ever touch a bike that weighs so much as 25 lbs....neither will they use Z 2 Bombers.
It´s a FR bike - not Freeride as Cannondales FS alu.framed vision, but Fun Ride. And that´s what MTB is about - right?I will give my Crescent Gram 5 Chilis (for durability and overall feeling but not the pricing...) ´cos this is the best bike I have ridden.
(But as I said before, I have not tested an XLM or some other Super Frames..)Regards Tommy E

Lauf trail racer 980 gram fork

Just spotted this on Bike Rumor. Leaf spring design, 980 grams, 60mm travel. Interesting... [url=http://uk.search.yahoo.com/r/_ylt=A7x9QfjgG.BRBgUAcThLBQx.;_ylu=X3oDMTE1bnI0cDF2BHNlYwNzcgRwb3MDMwRjb2xvA2lyZAR2dGlkA1ZJUFVLOTlfNzM-/SIG=13s0ov0fj/EXP=1373670496/**http%3a//www.bikerumor.com/2013/07/1 ... Read More »

200 gram decrease in wheels over long race, how significant in big picture?

Over the course of a 50 miler (or enter your endurance distance or time of choice), can you notice a wheelset weight difference of, let's just say 200 grams? Say tires are the same, everything is the same. But rim weight is about 70 grams less each, hubs are within grams and the rest is in spokes ... Read More »

Sub 800 gram 26" custom chromoly fork ?

I've got a filet brazed custom steel frame. Had it since 1998. I started out with a 63mm Manitou Mach 5, and then replaced it with a Tange Big Fork which was super stiff, so I got an Origin 8 carbon fork instead. The carbon fork rides well, but I don't trust it entirely. I am 6'4, 225 lbs an ... Read More »

Hayes brake question! Prime Expert Vs. Stroker Gram

Well the title says most of it. Pros and cons of anyone who has rode one or both. I dont do any crazy riding just mostly bombing down some hills and embankments and a lot of urban play too and from those spots . Before anyone says shimano this or that i will be sticking with hayes for 2 reasons have ... Read More »

Continental Mountain King II RaceSport, the 580 gram, 2.4" version

Anyone Rollin' on 26s? I'm riding a SC Nickel, heavy XC to light AM and not really any rocks or roots to worry about around here. Do you guys like them? And, do they Ghetto up well?Read More »