Colnago Master X-tra Light Bike 1998 or Older

Colnago Master X-tra Light

Submitted by Albert Caraos a weekend warrior from Jersey City

Date Reviewed: March 4, 1999

Bottom Line:

Colnago is the Ferrari of Bicycles!!! I've had my Master Light for about 5 months now and I must say I love this bike. The paint job alone is a work of art as well as the build quality of the bike. The frame is stiff yet it is very comfortable when doing 3 hour rides. The bike accelerates well due to the stiffness of the frame and climbing hills is no problem with this bike. Since it is a steel bike, the weight may be an issue to others but just ride a Master Light and you'll forget about that when you feel the smooth and solid ride. Your face should light up when you descend a mountain and the bike feels like it is glued to the ground around turns giving the rider more courage to push the envelope. The only thing I did wrong was to equip the bike with Shimano's Ultegra Groupo with the Flite Deck computer. I should have put Dura Ace or Campy C-Record since it is an Italian bike. I also put KEYWIN Pedals (Titanium) which I must say are the lightest yet durable set of pedals I have owned. My next upgrade will be either a lighter wheelset or the new LOOK HSC straight blade carbon fork (350g) which is like half the weight of the steel fork which come on the Colnagos. This is the best steel bike on the market when you consider the build quality and artistry of the frame. Equip the bike any way you want because you won't be sorry!!! STEEL IS REAL!!!

Submitted by Michael Stultz a racer from Indianapolis, IN

Date Reviewed: March 3, 1999

Bottom Line:

I've ridden my X-tra light for about 6 full months now, and there is absolutely nothing bad I can say about the frame. The cheapskate I was, I outfitted it with Shimano Ultegra (Flightdeck). The first time I rode it the bottom bracket locked up on me. I upgraded to Dura Ace and it's been tolerable, but still not as smooth as a Campy would be. Buy the Campy stuff!
The steel frame is plush, and the straight fork creates a tight wheel base. The thing rides as smooth as my carbon bike and is twice as stiff. It corners like a cat (for a steel bike, anyway). It's a little on the heavy side, but when you look at the craftsmanship and the paintjob (which adds about a 1/2 pound), you'll feel like the king of the road. I got the Robobank paint job with the chrome fork (the painted fork looks too gawdy). If you're ordering a Colnago, get either the Mapei or the Robobank. They will be the envy of everyone's eye.It's the Rolls Royce of bicycles.