Cannondale SuperVC Bike Bike 1998 or Older

4.45/5 (38 Reviews)

Cannondale SuperV 2000 Bike

Submitted by steve a weekend warrior from Benicia, California

Date Reviewed: October 25, 1998

Bottom Line:

I recently bought a 98, SV2000. I had been riding hardtail. I enjoyed the lightness of my bike and was concerned about the added weight of a full suspension. My first ride was Anandale in Sonoma Co. I let my HT friends go first so as not to slow them down. At the top of the hill I waited until they all caught up. As they lost traction on spots, one by one I passed them as my tire ground into the thick dust and I dragged my ass past all those purists.The control I got was astounding. I'm riding faster than I thought I could over terrain I new well. Tighter, quicker turning and much more forgiving. Another plus was my body felt better after a days ride over trails like Cobblestone, Rough go, Rut Route and others. The components are good quality. XT V brakes are great!!! Adjust on the fly front shock is incredible! I switched to grip shift on the XTR derailer and the shifting and numbers are bass-ackwards. Takes some getting used to. Sachs ought to get their shit together and make a replacement kit. Try one, buy one, you'll love it. To all those that insist their front suspension makes them a purist, use no suspension! That's pure. Jerks!Have a great day.

Submitted by Bill Steele a cross-country rider from Brampton, Ontario

Date Reviewed: October 20, 1998

Bottom Line:

After months of shopping and test rides I had decided that despite its butt ugly appearance the Cannondale Super-V Active was the bike for me. I got an excellent deal on a '97 2000 (2100 Canadian) spent a couple of weeks dialing the pressure and damping in the front and rear and started to ride. The frame performs nearly flawlessly over all types of terrain, absorbing small and large bumps with aplomb. It climbs as well as any bike I have owned or ridden under power and in the singletrack.
However I do have a couple of shortcomings to address:
1) The suspension is non-existent under braking. This is really annoying on technical downhills as you expect the suspension to absorb a bump and it responds like your old hardtail.
2) The Fatty SL may be the most precise steering suspension fork ever, but those 88 needle bearings give a thick over damped feel. Despite frequent lubing, fiddling with the air pressure and the backing the damping all the way off I could never get a supple feeling over small bumps.
3) This bike is a mud magnet. The super large downtube, exposed horizontal shock and rear triangle pick up mud like an excavation machine. At my first race on this bike it rained, the entire course had two plus inches mud and my bike ended the day weighing an extra thirty pounds. I don't think my hardtail ever picked up more than ten-eleven pounds on a mud ride.
4) When riding over a large obstacle, (6 inch logs, steps, curbs, big rocks,) the rear suspension does not compress. This is due to the axle path being forwards and up, a high obstacle pushes the axle back then up. Despite these pecadillos I have truly enjoyed riding my SV2000, putting in some of the fastest rides of my life on terrain I have ridden for years. I will likely replace it with something more active so I guess three chilies is fair.

Submitted by Richard Boyd a cross-country rider from Emmaus, PA USA

Date Reviewed: August 18, 1998

Bottom Line:

just got a super v 900. great bike. its from Discover Bicycles in Colorado. switched because i was tired of getting hammered by old front suspension c-dale. best bike ever.headshoke has limited travel. other than that, great bike. am already deciding which one to get next. it draws tons of attention in public places.

Submitted by Brian Coppersmith from Langen, Germany

Date Reviewed: July 11, 1998

Bottom Line:

Super V 400. Good entry price at 1100 bucks. Upgraded to Rock Shox Indy S, XTR Fr/Rear Derllr and breaks. Getting lighter by the day, but even at its entry level heft (30 lbs) climbed more energetically than a clothes drier full of wolverines. Cut 10 minutes off my 20 kilometer commute and the full suspension is just as good at absorbing curbs, expansion cracks in the road and cobblestones as it is at sucking up roots, logs and rocks. Initial challenge with pedal-induced suspension compression but fixed it by hanking the stiffness on the Fox Vanilla X rear shock. Super bike. Might recommend laying out the money for a higher order version if you plan to upgrade. Timer mopney and lost riding opportunity tied up in lots of upgrades. Five dogs and a side of anchovy/jalapeno flapjacks.

Submitted by Pete a weekend warrior from New Jersey

Date Reviewed: July 10, 1998

Bottom Line:

I just purchased a '98 Super V 700 at an incredible price $600 below Retail and this bike Rocks. The full suspension works to absorb almost anything on the trail and to my surprise it climbs like a champ. For the price, I do not think I could have done better. By the way I am 6'4 240 and the bike is taking all the punishment I can feed it. Get one and see for yourself. 5 hot logs for this bike

Submitted by Brian a weekend warrior from Long Island

Date Reviewed: June 25, 1998

Bottom Line:

I just bought the Super V 900 for $1,400, to clear some room for the 99' bikes, and I feel it was a super price. Of course I had to upgrade to XT's and change the tires to be solid black (personal prefrence even though the brown side wall tires are maybe a couple grams lighter). The bike eats hills up, yes there are some hills on Long Island and I do alot of riding upstate in New Paltz, NY. If you can get this bike before the new models come out and talk the dealer down from the 1,800 asking price I feel this is a great bike. Ride hard!!!!

Submitted by bill a cross-country rider from NYC, NY

Date Reviewed: May 15, 1998

Bottom Line:

I own a '97 SuperV-1000, all I can say is that it is a very well balanced full-suspension bike. It is relatively light for a dualie, my is 26 pounds. The ride is excellent on tight singletrack (smooth or rocky trails) due to the Headshok fork, I like the Headshok for the rigid feel, but I don't like it for the limited travel (2.35). I've pretty much replace all the CODA stuff with either XT or Syncros hardware, except for the stem, the CODA stem is actually lighter than the Profile Stiffy (190g) yeah right, try 260g, but that's another subject.
The rear is very solid due to the single bearing pivot and is very maintenance free, for the most part bio-pacing isn't a big problem on this bike like other URT style bikes. I've owned and ridden Trek Ys, Proflex 856 and Specialized A1 and this is still a much better ride. Besides it looks kidda cool!!

Submitted by chris ressler a cross-country rider from pa

Date Reviewed: May 10, 1998

Bottom Line:

would just like to tell anyone who is thinking of going full suspension do it
i love my super v 700x . i swiched from a hardtail to this bike and knocked
time off my favorite cross country loop.this bike climbs like a jeep
cannondale rules all others are fools.!! god bless america !!!

Submitted by Joe Hahn a weekend warrior from Denver, CO

Date Reviewed: April 14, 1998

Bottom Line:

Recently, a friend of mine decided to get into mtbs and went out and spent 1000$ on a Cannondale V500. I thought he was out of his mind for spending that much. I took him out on some hilly terrain and I was blown away with how easy he was climbing up those hills, especially since he is about 30 lbs. overweight. I have a TREK 970 with a Rockshock and I was struggling on those same hills. He let me give it a spin about halfway thru the ride and I was completely blown away. His bike was a pure joy to ride. In about 5 minutes I was about a half mile ahead of him. I guess those bike are worth the money, I am shopping for one right now, thats how I came across this site. Anyone want to buy a Trek 970?

Submitted by Brian Serwa a weekend warrior from Phoenix

Date Reviewed: April 7, 1998

Bottom Line:

I have the 1997 Super V 2000. I bought the bike as a demo from the owner of a Bike Masters here in Phoenix. I was looking at a F2000, but after riding this full-suspension bike, I fell in bicycle love. The previous owner had upgraded almost all the parts and the total weight was 23 lbs, yes 23 lbs!! This bike absolutely crushes everything I have ever been on. The frame feels very sturdy and the headshock is awesome. I am climbing hills faster and easier than ever before. Definitely worth the money. Full-suspension rules!!

Submitted by Kevin a weekend warrior from Westminster, CO United States

Date Reviewed: April 2, 1998

Bottom Line:

I own a 97 Super V 2000. Haven't replaced anything besides tires. Control and comfort is excellent. Came equiped with the Fatty 70 Head Shok, adjust on the fly is awesome, better than anything available on the market. Design of the solid fork is incredible. Sweet heavy duty frame makes it look tuff and bullet proof!

Submitted by Shawn a weekend warrior from South Dakota

Date Reviewed: March 24, 1998

Bottom Line:

I purchased a 97 super V 500 Comp and it is everything that i could possible imagine riding for the kind of riding that i do. The first ride i did with it was a week long in the Black Hills of South Dakota( alot of single trail, and on the Mickelson Trail, which is an old railroad grade)i put on almost a 100 miles in 4 days and loved every minute of it. That bike was well worth the money.As for the colors that it has they are absolutely awesome, red blending into a mango. I really get the looks with the outrageous colors even when it's on the bike rack on my vehicle. As for the Headshok i wont go back to a regular shock, i love it

Submitted by Grant a racer from Kalamazoo, Michigan

Date Reviewed: March 4, 1998

Bottom Line:

The weather here in Michigan has been fabulous for February. I have been able to get my new Super V Raven out for its first few rides. It has been nothing short of awesome. I have owned a Super V when they first came out and a F-3000 hardtail. This bike is the best of both worlds. It handles faster than the old generation Super V's and is lighter. Not as quick as a hardtail but it's lightyears ahead in comfort. The acceleration of the new Raven is awesome. If you can afford to get Crossmaxes they will get the weight down to about 25lbs. or less. I was able to get a pair for 500.00 from my bike shop since I bought the bike there. I think this bike will be faster than the hardtail overall because you can just sit down and hammer through everything and not have to stand up for every rock or root.
Don't bother getting the higher models ( 3000, or 4000) the frames are the same and you can upgrade components cheaper than buying the different models. I think that the frame on the 2000 is the best looking anyway.
Overall an outstanding bike. The fun factor is the best so far of any bike I have owned or ridden. I am looking forward to racing it in both cross country and downhill events.

Submitted by John OConnell a cross-country rider from Misawa, Japan

Date Reviewed: February 24, 1998

Bottom Line:

I've ridden my '96 Super V 700 in many different terains from the excellent singletrack of lower Alabama to the killer downhill here in Northern Japan. Bike rides great, stable on downhill and steers and climbs well too. No problems with the frame or carbon swingarm. Last year I got serious and upgraded the Alivio components to XTR and replaced the Quadra with a Judy DH, and added Ritchey WCS-Ti pedals and Fuzzy Logic headset. Best move ever, the bike is rock solid and completely reliable. Look me up if you're interested in riding in Tohoku area, Japan!

Submitted by Al Jacques a cross-country rider from mass. u.s.a.

Date Reviewed: February 14, 1998

Bottom Line:

I own a c' dale , ' 95 vintage super-v and have been riding overall for eleven years I have had the pleasure of coming in contact with many different bikes over the years and am very happy with my super-v. I only realy notice the pull on the swing arm when I am in the granny gear . I use it to my advantage to pull off tech. climbs that I love so much . this bike climbs fantastic in my opinion . and I love to climb . as I weight 200 # I also appreciate the robust construction . this is my second c'dale I think awsome .