Cannondale M800 Bike Bike 1998 or Older

3.98/5 (44 Reviews)

Cannondale M800

Submitted by cmmnk a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: December 8, 2013

Strengths:    crazy, crazy light
strong frame
can go through anything

Weaknesses:    1.25 inch steer tube
low quality brakes

Bottom Line:
This was the first mountain bike I had that really performed. Mine was set up by the previous owner with some RockShox Judy XC's, but it's stock other than that. I've been riding it for over 10 years, and it's definitely got another ten or twenty to go. I've taken this bike though crazy close to anything- drop-offs (not too fun, but it can take 'em), curbs and logs, singletrack trails, commuting- it does it all. I've taco'd wheels on it, crashed a million times, and I learned to fix bikes with it (trial and error, folks, good for learning, usually bad on bikes). I finally broke the fork last summer, but that was only after I got hit by a car the year before. The frame's still straight- just have to get a new fork.
That brings me to my main complaint about the bike: it has a 1.25 inch steer tube. Nobody makes those, so it makes it a pain to try and find all the extra components I'll have to replace or add to get a 1.125 inch fork for it.

My bottom line for the M-800? If you find one, get it, and use it for whatever you want. It'll take a lot and just keep going. It's a fun bike, super maneuverable, and I've gone over and through stuff on it that friends on 29ers had to carry around.

Favorite Trail:   Phil's Trail system, Bend, OR; Burnidge Forest Preserve trails, Elgin, IL

Duration Product Used:   since 2002

Submitted by malathion

Date Reviewed: May 5, 2012

Strengths:    fast and light

Weaknesses:    it's 20 years old

Bottom Line:
I bought one in college and never got rid of it. i changed out the seatpost and pedals and put new conti mtn. kings on it but that's it. it still has the ODI grips and even the same CODA brake pads. i never actually used it for mtn. biking till last week when i met up with some friends on some very hilly Tn. singletrack- and it was like i discovered hidden magical properties in the beast. i'm an old school BMX'er ( i took the KKT lightning pedals off my '82 PK Ripper looptail and put them on the m800 years ago) and i basically see this bike as a grown up BMX bike ( the PK's used oversized aluminum tubing if you recall). i was able to climb hills like a man possessed- this bike sling-shotted me uphill . i have a Kona stinky deluxe and kid you not i'm ditching it now for a while to dig a little deeper into just how awesome my m800 is. i'm so happy i never sold it. funny thing is, i actually thought riding the brakes downhill like one long , controlled skid was pretty cool. i love this bike. if you can find one buy it, it's a classic ride.

Submitted by jingles a Weekend Warrior from Newburyport, MA

Date Reviewed: November 9, 2011

Strengths:    Extremely light, stiff, responsive and fast.

Weaknesses:    CODA brakes. Riding position is more aggressive than today's bikes.

Bottom Line:
I purchased this bike around 18 years ago. It was used for a few weeks and returned to my LBS and I picked it up for an acceptable discount.

This bike has more than served it's purpose on the trails and ironically mostly on the road for me and others I've lent it to over the years. It's ridden on various trails of Massachusetts and Hawaii and handled all conditions ranging from solid dirt to muddy valley trails well.

In the trails, it accelerates like a rocket and climbs like a billy goat. Downhills however feel sketchy as I sit very tall on the bike. Overall, I would now prefer a larger bike with a more foregiving body position. Perhaps risers would help. The clearance is excellent on this bike and it climbs over logs nicely. Brakes pale in comparison to today's brakes but still do the job. Not sure how it stacks up against the suspension bikes of today but it's certainly lighter than most and forces one to ride smart.

On the road with narrow slicks, it's been a bullet-proof commuter bike on and off for the past 15 years.

This bike has held up like a champ with the following servicing: Hub bearings and headset have been re-packed by me, the chain has been replaced a few times, as has the cluster. Brake pads replaced...once! Most recently, I replaced the hub body when I replaced the cluster. Everything else, including the torpedo handlegrips, is stock. The shifters are original and have been serviced at my LBS.

Last weekend,took it out on the trails for the first time in several years and still can't believe this bikes capability. Maxxis tires have been ordered and I fashioned up a double P7 home-made bike light and am getting ready for winter fun.

Again, this bike is light and fast. It suits overall trail riding and climbing better than downhill riding. Buy it if you find a nice used specimen for a good price, treat it well, and you've potentially got an heirloom on your hands. This is probably true with most bikes but the performance on this model will make you smile.

Heads-up, I believe the Pepperoni fork with aluminum steering tube has been recalled. A broken fork would turn that smile upside down.

Favorite Trail:   Bradley Palmer

Similar Products Used:   Other c'dales, Bridgestone MB-3, Raleigh Chill, GT Peace 9r

Bike Setup:   100% Stock.

Submitted by oldman santiago a Weekend Warrior from Wasilla, Alaska

Date Reviewed: May 19, 2009

Strengths:    bike is light as a feather

Bottom Line:
I purchased this bike today at a yard sale. How much would anybody pay me for the Cannondale M800? It's missing the chain and needs new brakes. The frame looks like it's in good shape though.

Favorite Trail:   Wissahickon Park, Philadelphia

Purchased At:   yard sale

Submitted by rups a Weekend Warrior from Greensburg, PA USA

Date Reviewed: May 15, 2009

Strengths:    The bottom bracket heigth. Easy to manuver in tight areas

Bottom Line:
I bought the frame separate in 1991 and had an all XT groupo put on, with thunb shifters that I still love, with a rock shock mag10. Althougth I have a new full suspension bike I still love and ride my Cannondale. It is also ridden by friends who ride with me that do not have a bike. The bike along with all the components has been ridden since 1991, mostly rocky muddy trails, and its still going strong.

Favorite Trail:   Laurel mountains

Purchased At:   GAttos Cycle

Similar Products Used:   Nothing compares

Bike Setup:   All XT groupo, Rock Shock Mag 10, Panaracer Smoke rear tire, Ritchy Mega-Bite Front tire.

Submitted by Brad K. a Cross Country Rider from Greater Seattle Washington area USA

Date Reviewed: May 8, 2009

Strengths:    Like the clearance and the weight is cool. Also like the balance even though I see many complaints; you just gotta adjust, remember your riding the bike not the other way around! Ride it don't fight it!!

Weaknesses:    Stock Ritchey forks are kinda lame; I added a Zoke to it and it opened up the bike as far as size in the height and length of the thing much better the flat style neck was lame as well. Weak bottom brackets at entry level "wobblw-wobble"hee-hee..."

Bottom Line:
This bike "rocks" for what it is try to beat it for the price and for the thing being nearly 20 yrs. old it still contends. All the hype on full-suspension pogo stik bykes is overdone.. Most the guys riding all the new stuff are "poseurs" anyways!! How many roll 30-50 miles a day 4-5 days a week??? Better yet "how many are capable?" This is a great bike I'll keep it as long as it wants to hold together!!! Rock-on and keep it safe!! See-Ya Brad K. Seattle, Washington USA

Favorite Trail:   Most

Purchased At:   A friends garden she

Similar Products Used:   Trek and cannondale m-1000 Raleigh m80;shogun???

Bike Setup:   Mavik rims and the stoxk crank-set; zoke frnt shock and shimano gears and shifters v-brake upgrade

Submitted by Paul Crawford a Cross Country Rider from Vassalboro,ME,USA

Date Reviewed: December 24, 2006

Strengths:    Light, agile.

Weaknesses:    It's aluminum.

Bottom Line:
It's the same frame as listed below, but I couldn't stand being on a singlespeed anymore, so rather than buy a new bike, I rebuilt this one. The wheels match now! It isn't significantly heavier, about 18.5 lbs, being as everything down to the brake studs have been refitted with Ti bolts. I found those carbon AC cranks hiding somewhere, they are still available new in the box from AC, with square or ISIS BB mounts, but they are not advertised. The last pair were AC's, but forged and square taper. I'm liking ISIS a bit better. Action Tec rings and cogset are superlight, and shift nicely. Range is huge too, with 48 and 24 tooth big and little up front, and 11-34 in the back. My derailleurs are kinda complainant if I am too far crossed on the chainline, but get it right, and do anything. The frame is still great after 11 years of serious beatings. 4 lbs was great for a frame of it's era. Even Yeti's were 3.7 lbs. I'd give it a total of 5 peppers if I wasn't about to strip the whole thing and build a Ti frame. 3 lbs even for this new frame. I might beat 18 lbs with it.

Favorite Trail:   Appalachian

Purchased At:   everywhere that sells parts?

Similar Products Used:   None.

Bike Setup:   Judy FSX fork w/springs and Ti bolts, Pauls brakes and levers, AC carbon cranks, DT rims, White Industries MI-5 hubs, LP Composites bars and seatpost, SRAM X-O thumbshifters and rear derailleur, X-Gen front derailleur, Wippermann 9x1 chain, Action Tec Ti cogset and chainrings, TastyNuts and SRP Ti bolts in literally everything, Crank Bros. Cobalt Ti bottom bracket and Eggbeater SL pedals, Hope stem, seatclamp QR, and QR skewers, Selle San Marco Aspide Ti Carbon saddle, ODI/Oury lock-on grips, Nokon cables, King headset

Submitted by Paul Crawford a Cross Country Rider from Vassalboro,ME,USA

Date Reviewed: November 3, 2006

Strengths:    light, stiff, nice paint, everything fits even though it has huge oversized tubing

Weaknesses:    derailleur hanger

Bottom Line:
The bike weighs about 12 pounds. It's geared with aluminum cog and chainwheel, with a stainless chain, so there's ZERO friction in the drivetrain, and it's the stiffest stuff around. It accelerates like mad, climbs like no 24 speed mtn. bike I've ridden, and you should all build one. I smoke 24 speeders, especially with all that suspension stuff... on a 12 lb. bike, suspension forks just bounce around anyway. If you've got to use V-brakes, Paul's work nicely, and Nokon's all metal cable is mega stiff (and lighter than vinyl coated stuff)...

Favorite Trail:   Appalachian

Purchased At:   everywhere that sells parts?

Similar Products Used:   none... it's a Cannondale

Bike Setup:   Chris King headset, Hope stem, LP Composites handlebar and bar ends, Paul's Components Love Levers Compact, Nokon cable, Paul's Components Motolite Z V-brakes, Phil Wood Ti bottom bracket, AC XTLopro cranks, Wippermann chain, AC DHHoleshot chainwheel, Mavic 517 rims, Wheelsmith spokes, Mavic hubs (32 rear 3x drive, radial nondrive, 24 radial front), Continental Cross Country 26x1.5 Pro tires, Salsa Flyweight tubes, Rox rimstrips, Crank Bros. Egg Beater SL pedals, LP Composites seatpost, Selle Carbon Ti saddle, it's a singlespeed... Chris King alloy Kog with a mix of a Gussett 1'er and a Spot Brand singlespeed kit, to get that chainline laser straight, Kore skewers, Cannondale P-Bone fork... I replaced every bolt in the bike with titanium, including a King baseplate for the headset. SRP Ti kit in the cranks, bottom bracket, seatpost, seatclamp (AC Hextreme), brake calipers, barends, and stem)

Submitted by Keith a Cross Country Rider from New York, Adirondack Mtns

Date Reviewed: August 27, 2005

Strengths:    lt weight, strong, adgile...

Weaknesses:    stock parts

Bottom Line:
95 M800 BEAST OF THE EAST
I've owned it since 96
I bought it off a friend who had to have fully suspended(pogo stick)
The bike likes upgrades, the stock CODA cam brakes are garbage, you could steal the brakes off your sisters Huffy and have an upgrade there...The rest of the bike is not too bad 'out of the box' light as hell (23.5) stock.
The bike is a real climber, rocks, logs, mud, pine trees...

Unless someone really beat the hell it, this is a great thought out design, made with the north east riding in mind, I've put slick tires on and blasted through city streets, and I've taken it UP & down Killington and Snow...

If you know where there is one for sale, Buy it... you will not be sorry...

Favorite Trail:   the one I ride next

Purchased At:   stupid friend paid $1200

Similar Products Used:   GT, Nishki

Bike Setup:   I like the stock alum fork, real light front great for climbing, but I put a ManitouSX on it anyway, that raised the front so I also added a Profile stem with a lower degree of angle to bring the bars back down...RitcheyRock440 strongest lightest best wheels ever made...

Submitted by Jim a Weekend Warrior from Davenport, IA, USA

Date Reviewed: August 21, 2004

Strengths:    High bottom bracket, stiff and light

Weaknesses:    still haven't upgraded the Bio-pace!
ugly paint

Bottom Line:
Fun bike! I've been though mud trails, technical trails, and fast trails, no problems! I don't know the year of my bike, but it has the house on the head, and has an ugly white and blue paintjob with some purple and pink on it. I couldn't sell it, and don't want to paint it, but wouldn't mind adding a Chase to the stable!
Here is a pic:http://pic10.picturetrail.com/VOL326/815976/1747806/20875473.jpg
email me if you know the year!

Favorite Trail:   Any trail after a rain

Purchased At:   bike shop

Bike Setup:   Old School. XT thumb mount shifters, DiaComp 990 rear brake, Girvin suspension fork, Dart/Smoke tires

Submitted by Sczott a Weekend Warrior from Spartanburg,SC,USA

Date Reviewed: October 7, 2002

Strengths:    Frame Geometry

Weaknesses:    High Speed Stability-Lacking

Bottom Line:
I bought this bike spring of '92. It has survived my early riding excitment, college and suburban riding. I rebuilt the bike in 2001 with a complete kit. I had to do some adjustments concerning the headtube size and a new fork, but everything is working fine. I absolutely love this bike and do not care for anything else.

Purchased At:   The Great Escape