Cannondale M600 Bike 1998 or Older

4.33/5 (9 Reviews)

Cannondale M600

Submitted by grillface a Weekend Warrior from Sandusky

Date Reviewed: November 22, 2010

Strengths:    I found a sm600 1990 frame in white on the side of the road beside a curb trash pickup bin waiting for the landfill. I picked it up and rode on to school on my salvaged 2000 hardrock. The only stock components were the cranks and the worn out bottom bracket. Thats all it had. Well I invested some serious cash and I love this bike now. It is a solid solid light light frame that is just so damn impression with the large diameter tubing. It accelerates like you wouldn't believe and climbs well too.

Weaknesses:    I can't really talk about weaknesses due to the fact that I got it free and I have no idea about the stock components. The frame is top notch.

Bottom Line:
What an awesome find. Thank you whomever threw away this frame.

Favorite Trail:   Lake Bryan

Purchased At:   found on the side of

Similar Products Used:   Trek 820, Rockhopper Comp, Giant Rincon, Klein Pulse Comp S

Bike Setup:   Deore XT hubs and 9 speed cassette, XRAM 0 rear derailer and shifter, 32 tooth rocket front sprocket, tektro brakes, specialized saddle.

Submitted by RyKnow a Cross Country Rider from Parkerburg, WV, USA

Date Reviewed: June 30, 2009

Strengths:    The frame is nice and lightweight. I love the rigid Pepperoni forks. The paint scheme on mine is a purle with a fade to blue so it looks very appealing.

Weaknesses:    other components...shifters, brake levers

Bottom Line:
BOTTOM LINE...I bought this used...and it was HEAVILY used. The bike still shows some wear with minor paint knicks...It was in rough shape when I got it. Really muddy and looks like it sat in a shed for about 10 years...so it needed tightened parts, and alot needed replaced...BUT it had potential so I put some money into it. The frame is VERY light...as light as my Klein Mantra bike so it is easy to lift and manuver. Which is why I love the bike anyways. This thing is a lightweight TANK. The Pepperoni rigid forks are fantastic and also very light weight....now for the older components I switched out...I bought an almost 15 year old bike. So I couldnt expect alot...The brake levers and shifters were one piece...so replacing one meant replacing both. The teeth on the cogs were worn to nubs so those got changed out and it needed all new cabling. So I put some more into the bike but it was a great investment. The bike rides like a dream after a good tuneup and being updated with more modern components...and again the paint scheme is just beautiful.

Purchased At:   seller on craigslist

Similar Products Used:   Giant Boulder, Klein Mantra Comp, Marin

Bike Setup:   Avid V brakes, Shimano shifters, Race Face crank, Sun hubs, Pepperoni forks, Coda bars, Cannondale M600 Frame

Submitted by alan a Weekend Warrior from thousand oaks ca

Date Reviewed: May 4, 2008

Strengths:    Frame it is very light weight easy to carry when you cross steams or carrying up steep hill.

Weaknesses:    Brakes- they work poorly-Cannondales customer service, Newbury Park Bike Shop.

Bottom Line:
This bike can be upgraded. I replaced the shifters after the Cannondale dealer tried to rip me off for 400 dollars and telling me the frame is a dime a dozen. I replaced them with a pair of deore shifters and brakes.Total cost 50 dollars. The bike is great doing cross country terrain.

Purchased At:   Newbury Park Bike Shop

Bike Setup:   Rock shock front shocks stx shifters and brakes

Submitted by mr C´dale a Weekend Warrior from Sweden

Date Reviewed: June 3, 1999

Strengths:
Light and agile

Weaknesses:
huh?

Bottom Line:
i bought mine about 5 years ago and every thing exept the frame is replaced.feels good,agile unpossible to break yet it´s light.i wont replace it ever(?)....naaah maby

more than 3 years

Scott, Cyclepro

LX ,XTR, Marzocchi Z1

Submitted by Tim a Weekend Warrior from Minnesota

Date Reviewed: May 17, 1999

Strengths:
Fairly well priced for what you get.
Light weight.
Entry-level race components

Weaknesses:
the stock brakes on the 94' suck

Bottom Line:
my m600 is around 5 years old and it's been a good ride. stock pirrana pro's hold up great, i actually still ride them after 5 years but recently they have begun to fall apart. The only real complaint i have is that the stock stx breaks hooked up with the cannondale break system sucks. Cannondale installs a a mollusk looking thing that works as a cantaliever, its way to plush and results in poor braking performence. Otherwise this bike is pretty good for normal trail riding and for goofing around with friends. also if you keep the paint looking good (mine is blue and fades to deep purple) it really impresses people on those large diameter tubes.

kettle morain, wis

more than 3 years

simular priced frames

Complete stock.
lx rear, otherwise full stx
irc pirrana pro's
Ritchy sport rims

Submitted by Tuomas a cross-country rider from Finland

Date Reviewed: January 19, 1999

Bottom Line:

This is my first real mountain bike,and I like it.I have bought Manitou's
Spyder R `99 fork to replace the stiff fork.And it really works.This is a
very good bike for novice.Cannondale`s aluminium is very light,and not
too stiff.

Submitted by Loren a racer from Usa

Date Reviewed: June 14, 1998

Bottom Line:

TOday was my first race and well my bike let me down!! The rear deraler broke and i had to walk five miles back to where the pits where cause no one really carries extra derarilers with them. But I like the bike for jsut follin around with my friends but it really isn't a really good racing bike!! And if you don't get a suspension well you get salmed and get funny looks at the race cause of you being the only person there with out aa front suspension.

Submitted by R. a weekend warrior from Birmingham

Date Reviewed: February 21, 1998

Bottom Line:

I find the handling of this bike to be very direct and accurate, if a little skippy on fast rocky downhills. A benevolent bike salesman gave me a reasonable discount for cash on the bike, in addition to donating a free hack bike to replace the one I had stolen recently. For the effective cost of about 580 pounds sterling (928 US dollars direct conversion but you should get one for much less in DE or the US) it provides a very good package for upgrading as things wear out. The Sachs Centera rear mech and STX front mech are noticeably less smooth (in action and finishing) than other offerings but do their job reliably. Standard specification Sachs Wavey shifters don't work well on this bike so get your dealer to upgrade you to LX RF+ in return for downgrading your Coda clipless pedals to clips and straps (much more convenient for generally racing the parks and streets with because you can wear trainers). The Coda CF1 cranks are comparable in finishing quality to at least STX RC but have the advantage of being slightly stiffer. They make a nice individualistic statement. The other Coda finishing kit (stem, bars, saddle, hubs etc.) are functional but irritatingly easily marked. The first saddle fitted bent its rail within half an hour of gentle riding, but it was immediately replaced by the kindly folks at On Your Bike. While the drivetrain and finishing kit are nothing special, the wheelset could be found on a bike at twice the price. The Mavic X221 UB rims and DT spokes still hold true and braking on them is good, despite the STX-RC V-brakes being plagued with intermittent boss stickiness. IRC Mythos tyres hold on tight to the ground for cornering on all surfaces and make a wonderful sound on smooth tarmac. The Dia-Compe brake levers were the biggest disappointment on the bike, lacking essential feedback and with a snatchy cable pull towards the end of their stroke. These levers ought to carry a government health warning, they are so eager to chuck you over the bars. Perhaps they are not entirely to blame as the frame is so light and stiff that it can almost be picked up and blown over by a strong wind. You might wish to change the rigid forks for something a little softer over long off-road hauls but for playing out in the parks and urban jungle, there is little to beat this for pure speed. The finishing of the black paintwork could be better and red grips were a poor choice by Cannondale (black looks much better). Another advantage is that the bike looks much more normal than the superior offering on a similar theme, the M900. If you've got plenty of the readies to spare, I'd go for the M900 but I'm happy for now with the M600. Don't look at the equipment, feel the quality and the weight (sub 23 lb. in standard form, and even less once I've finished with it).

Submitted by a weekend warrior from Birmingham

Date Reviewed: February 21, 1998

Bottom Line:

I find this bike to be a very good, upgradable package. The ride is very light and very direct, but when
you're just playing out around the parks this is really good. If you are going to regularly ride anything
too rocky then I would recommend getting some lightweight suspension up front. The setup you get will
probably differ slightly, depending on where you buy from, but try to make sure you avoid the Sachs
Wavey shifters and Dia-Compe levers as they don't work well with the rest of the setup. For those
urban-dwellers unable to get onto real rocky trails for their rides, or those looking for a first race bike,
this is perfect.

Shimano Hone M600 Crankset

I am just about to buy [URL="http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=6070"]this[/URL] crankset (has really good reviews especially for the price) and was wondering if it would work in conjunction with my SLX drivetrain (e.g. shifters deraileurs)? Also has anyone had any experience wit ... Read More »

M600 Upgrades?

I have a Raleigh M600 and wondering what to do to improve it. I have gone to Avid BB7 brakes and a Dart fork and Big Kahuna tires (I do Adventure Racing and sometime lots of mud). After purchasing a Gary Fisher Rig 29, I realized how much of a difference there is between bikes. The fisher is s ... Read More »

M900 Fork on M600 frame

Do the M900 and M600 have the same headset sizes? I have an M900 Pepperoni fork and wanted to put it on my M600. Do the M sereis Cannondales have different headset sizes?Read More »

What size is my M600 bottom bracket 68?73?

Currently I have a squre taper bottom bracket. Not sure the size Cannondale used on the M600. What would be a new trick crank/ bottom set-up?Read More »

will shimano hone m600 shifters work with sram rear derailleurs?

question says it all. The hones are shimanos shift/brake integrated design -- see here [URL="http://www.outsideoutfitters.com/p-553-shimano-hone-m600-shiftbrake-disc-lever-set.aspx"]http://www.outsideoutfitters.com/p-553-shimano-hone-m600-shiftbrake-disc-lever-set.aspx[/URL]Read More »