Cannondale F900 Bike 1998 or Older

4.29/5 (49 Reviews)

Cannondale F900

Submitted by gsxr1 a Cross Country Rider from Kildare Ireland

Date Reviewed: September 7, 2010

Strengths:    The weight. Its impressive even by todays standard.
stiffness

Weaknesses:    standard bits.

Bottom Line:
I got rid of all the standard bits.
Put a lefty on and binned the old 80mm fatty.
It climbs like a mountain goat. I love it. it looks different and is a quality bit of gear. turns very fast in the woods.
Next upgrade will be a XT shadow derailer.

Its a bike you will own a very long time

Favorite Trail:   Donade Forest

Purchased At:   private seller

Similar Products Used:   Giant terrago

Bike Setup:   Lefty FF 140mm, XT hydro brakes, XT crank and rings, XT hubs
DMR V8 mountain bike pedals. Mavic rims

Submitted by baggsby a Cross Country Rider from Tallahassee, FL USA

Date Reviewed: June 15, 2009

Strengths:    HeadShok, lightweight, good component group

Bottom Line:
Absolutely bulletproof XC bike. Ridden hard for over a decade (North Florida=banging over roots, sugar sand but few drops or jumps).

Light, fast, climbs well. Now I've upgraded to a Scalpel

Date Reviewed: June 9, 2006

good

Submitted by Ben a Cross Country Rider from Bonney Lake, WA, USA

Date Reviewed: November 16, 2005

Strengths:    This bike is an excellent climber, it's stiff light frame makes steering almost telepathic. Super fast

Weaknesses:    I've had trouble with almost every component with the exception of the shimano drive train. The first item to fail me was the cruddy coda disk brakes, they left me hanging in the middle of several rides before i had them replaced with a set from Magura. Works flawlessly now. Then I blew the crank bearing shortly after, for reasons unknown. I wasn't dropping off cliffs or anything like that. Bent the Coda disk rims, had them replaced with Vueltas a little heavier but much more durable. And the nagging problem thats drving me crazy is the leaky head shok. I had it serviced,torn down and rebuilt several times and it always starts leaking air. I maintained this bike not anally but good enough. I made sure crud didn't get under the shok boot, i cleaned and lubed the stantion regularly.

Bottom Line:
Other than the crappy cannondale components the bike is great. perhaps this bike is not really suited for the real-mountain environment of the northwest. my freeride is quite up to the task, but then again the twin stanchion fork is built like a tank and the only coda parts are the handlebars, seat and crank. i love the frame, and i would like to replace all the components but coda specs makes this impossible and a new fork would cost almost as much as a new bike. So i hate to say that this is probably my last cannondale. I'll put road tires on it and hope nothing else breaks. Definitely not a bike for west of the Rocky Mountains. Maybe i'll reconsider if cannondale starts using standard head tube and crank dimensions so it's not held hostage to CODA.

Favorite Trail:   victor falls

Purchased At:   Milton Bicycle Shop

Similar Products Used:   Cannondale FR-1000, Gary Fisher Sugar

Submitted by Konstantin Levitsky a Cross Country Rider from Madison, WI

Date Reviewed: September 7, 2000

Strengths:    Super light,
Great paint finish (nearly impossible to chip),
Locking head shock,
Great looking bike

Weaknesses:    Can't think of any.

Bottom Line:
Awsome bike. Excellent on turns and downhils. I have the medium sized one (I'm 6'00", 180lb). The handling on the smaller frame is fantastic. It's a tough bike too. Gravity got the drop on me a few times, I got banged up, but the bike was fine, besides needing some new tubes and the rims trued. People notice the bike everywhere I go and give me the "nice bike".

Purchased At:   Budget Bikes, Madison, WI

Similar Products Used:   Schwinn Moab and Moab 2
Cannondale F800
Specialized Rock Hopper

Bike Setup:   Stock, Shimano XT derailleurs, Mythos XRC tires and rims, fatty-D fork and head shock.

Submitted by Kristian Ristell a Downhiller from Melbourne Australia

Date Reviewed: February 22, 2000

Strengths:    Frame Finish, very light, tackles trails easily, almost uncrashable.

Weaknesses:    Standard rims are weak, tires have insufficiant tread to start with. CODA cranks were incompatible, CODA Disc-Brakes went off after 100km.

Bottom Line:
This is the best Bike I have ever owned, I find myself getting way more air than I thought I could, it`s just so light, I weigh about 75kg and I have bent rims, maybe Im just too hard on the poor thing, Disc-Brakes now pull up like a Formula 1 car, after new pads! The Headshock is cool, This bike turns heads in the city, on the rare occasion that it is there, Cannondale F900 99 is the McLaren of the bush.

Favorite Trail:   Rankins Fireline

Similar Products Used:   Repco K2

Bike Setup:   Stock, but now I have EBC RED disc brake pads in ..Much better.

Submitted by Jeff Lee a Cross-Country Rider from Dartmouth, Nova Scotia

Date Reviewed: May 22, 1999

Strengths:
Color
Stiffness
Weight
Suspension
Handling

Weaknesses:
None yet

Bottom Line:
I agree with everything Travis said earlier. Im 61 and 178lbs and haven't felt any weakness in the frame or fork. Bike is very tuff, quick and the travel is very hyper active.

AlleyCat

3 months

Kona Cinder Cone
Kona NuNu

Cad² frameset, Fatty D

Submitted by Travis a Cross-Country Rider from NH

Date Reviewed: April 27, 1999

Strengths:
Price
Weight
Durability
Looks
Cannondale performance!

Bottom Line:
This is a great bike. I bought it leftover this year at a significant discount. I have ridden it HARD since I've owned it with no real problems other than the usual wear and tear. I don't know what everyone is talking about with regard to rider weight. I'm 6'6 and a solid 245 pounds and I haven't been able to break it yet. Trust me--I've tried. For the money I paid, I have absolutely no complaints.

Fort Rock, Exeter NH

3 months

'99 Trek 7000
'99 Schwinn Moab 2
'99 GT Karakoram

Submitted by riley a Cross-Country Rider from michigan

Date Reviewed: March 24, 1999

Strengths:
precise steering
great frt suspension
beautiful workmanship
light weight

Weaknesses:
top tube slope

Bottom Line:
i love this bike! i just bought one of last years frames and built it up with xt components & mavic wheels. i must admit that this frame fits me technically (3 and change, maybe 3.5 standover), i'm just used to a taller frame at the seat cluster. this is not a unique feature to the cannondale, though. i never realized how much my old judy and sx-r flexed. i thought all of the talk of fork flex was a bunch of bunk until i rode this! this fork, i guess it would apply to all of cannondale's forks, is seriously stiff. switching between the (new) sx-r and this is amazing. i can feel that manitou flex and it bothers me. this frame is stout, but compared to the zaskar, it looks underbuilt. this bike truly accelerates faster than anything i've ever ridden. i think i'm hooked.

less than 1 month

gt zaskar le
trek 8000
giant atx 880

caad3 frameset, fatty d fork

Submitted by Tim a cross-country rider from Boulder

Date Reviewed: February 5, 1999

Bottom Line:

Shouldn't there be a way to weed out the FAT ASS people who complain about breaking their frame? I own a 97 F500 (that now has full XT drivetrain, Mavic 517 rims, XT hubs, TIME pedals, etc) that has been to hell and back. Numerous crashes, including one 40mph humdinger in which the bike flew at least 40yds through the air, landing in a 10ft deep ditch, with myself landing after about 10yds, has not harmed the frame in the slightest. FAT PEOPLE DO NOT BELONG ON BIKES!!! Go buy yourself a BMX bike that weighs 35 lbs to support your FAT ASS, and stop dragging down the rewiews of perfectly fine AMERICAN MADE Cannondales

Submitted by Skinny a weekend warrior from Small, DT

Date Reviewed: January 7, 1999

Bottom Line:

All those !@#$%^&* Fat people who break their bikes or bottom the shock out need to loose some weight before posting here!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!CANNONDALES AND HEADSHOCK ARE PRETTY GOOD FOR THE PEOPLE WHO WEIGH IN THE APPROPRIATE RANGE.

Submitted by Douglas Franz a cross-country rider from Misawa AB, Japan

Date Reviewed: January 5, 1999

Bottom Line:

My F900 is two years old now and I do not have any complaints. The DD60 is great and I use the lock-out feature on smooth uphills, on my trainer, and when I occasionally put on slicks for a fitness road ride. I am now replacing the drivetrain because it is wearing out but the frame still looks good. I still can't help but smile everytime I pull my bike out and go for a ride. CANNONDALE RULES!

Submitted by Mike Chatzis a cross-country rider from Hamilton, Ontario, Canada

Date Reviewed: December 11, 1998

Bottom Line:

I,ve had my 98 F900 C'Dale for three months. The bike rules period. The headshock out preforms any other forks out there. It's very responsive and does not flex at all. The parts are great, the bikes lite, stiff and has a cool color.

Submitted by Steven Thome a cross-country rider from vic

Date Reviewed: December 3, 1998

Bottom Line:

Cannondale f900 and kona pahoehoe rule the mountain bike kingdom.My cannondale is running fine it's never let me down and the code parts along with the headshok out perform all other brands

Submitted by mike bayesa a weekend warrior from norfolk, va

Date Reviewed: October 30, 1998

Bottom Line:

My last bike a F500 was stolen and I got a awsome deal on a used F900. This bike plain rips, light, handles great and climbs like a rocky moutain big horn sheep. A definite great !!!!

F900 SX -- Updates help ?

Hi guys, Been riding for years and years, I stopped for a couple of years after college, then moved to CA and now started riding once again but my old workhorse is in need of dire help and I am out of the game of components , sizes and specs. [B]Lefty:[/B] [U]Problem:[/U] It started leakin ... Read More »

Disk Brakes for F900 SX

Hello, My name is Roger and I come from a small island called Saipan (they have xterra events here) I have recently picked up a used F900 SX from a Lawyer here. The bike is great! I love it. A huge upgrade from my Yukon Disk. The only problem I have so far, like many other f900 sx owners is the b ... Read More »

F900 SL; Is this a good price?

:thumbsup: I have a chance to buy a Cannondale F900 SL w/ CAAD 4 Disc brakes, FSA XC-300 Disc wheelset, SRAM X-9 Drive train, Truvative Firex crankset (Mega Exo BB), Hayes (FX) 7 Carbon Disc Brakes along w/ a Specialized carbon post and Fizik Nisene saddle. All for $800. Is this a decent deal. I' ... Read More »

F900 sl - upgrade

hi together, i own a F900sl from 2001. I bought this bike last year from am friend, and i love it. :) the only thing is, that there is an Fatty Ultra on the bike, with just 64mm travel. So i think to change the fork. :) The upgrade to a Fatty Super Ultra (with 80mm) is to less, i think. So ... Read More »

XTR Disc Rear Disc Caliper on Cannondale F900 CAAD 5 frame, shimming question

OK, So I changed from CODA disc calipers to XTR. The front was easy and only required 1.4mm of shims. the back looks like it will require about 7mm or more.Can this be right? Is there an adapter required? The CAAD 5 frame is rigid and the hubs are XTR (centerlock). The CODA calipers had shims but o ... Read More »