Cannondale F700 Bike Bike 1998 or Older

4.52/5 (120 Reviews)

F700

Submitted by dieselmaker a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: January 21, 2013

Strengths:    rock solid, still one of the best looking cannondale was ever made, well balanced, keep going forever.....the 50mm travel up front sound funny now days but its good enough for weekend warriors or even for light/moderate trail riding if you keep it serviced. After 17 years paintwork is still not bad thanks for the epoxy based paint or what so ever is that...:D

Weaknesses:    I am a fan of cro-mo frame if we talking about XC so this one a bit uncomfortable for me on epic log ride...

Bottom Line:
If you have a chance just go for it...

Purchased At:   second hand

Similar Products Used:   too many to list....

Bike Setup:   DD50 headshock, XTR groupset, chris king wheels/ceramic/

Submitted by Rusty Shakleford

Date Reviewed: August 28, 2012

Strengths:    After 10+ years of hard riding, frame is still strong. super smooth welds, great climber

Weaknesses:    loved the headshok, but no one would service it (discontinued?), so I had to replace fork after 6 years and could not afford a lefty

Bottom Line:
The only thing on this bike that is stock is the frame, which is durable and has superb geometry. It is very surefooted. I bike and regularly keep up with others who ride dual suspension, partly because I never had a dually, so I don't know any better, but also because this bike is fast on acceleration and confident on technical terrain. Even with none c-dale suspension, this bike just excels

Submitted by Bill Morrison

Date Reviewed: July 30, 2012

Strengths:    Just the smoothest shifts and best ride I had without mechanical problems. I never had a breakdown in all these years. I love my bike. I replaced my front brake cable a couple of days ago.

Weaknesses:    I wish I had more fork travel but then I'm not a person who like his or her on fire and going mach two.

Bottom Line:
I have gone thru 4 sets of tires and a seat. I am a boat owner and what a relief to have something I enjoy taking out without worrying about mechanical failures. I love my bike, boy what a purchase.

Submitted by Sonny a Cross Country Rider from Perth

Date Reviewed: September 10, 2010

Strengths:    Sturdy, smooth

Bottom Line:
In 2001, we toured around Australia with the bike fully loaded (60kgs), including parts of Cape York Peninsula where the hills were 45 degrees with rocks, sand, bull dust and craters that would swallow the entire bike. After 5 months with all the twisting and jolts, the bike had no damage, not even a broken spoke. It only needed a hose down at the end of the ride.
No thanks to the "expert" at the Glebe bike shop who tried to scare me with stories of Cannondale frames cracking under stress.

Purchased At:   used

Submitted by Rocket66 a Weekend Warrior from Barrie, On Canada

Date Reviewed: July 30, 2010

Strengths:    Climbs like a mountain goat
Grip shift is awesome smooth
Bike loves any & all trails, mountains,switch backs, Handles like its on rails.

Weaknesses:    still looking after 10yrs.

Bottom Line:
Its a kick ass mountain Bike that will take you there and bring you back. Leaves you wishing your next ride was now. When Chuck Norris goes mountain biking its on a Cannondale f700..

Favorite Trail:   Midhurst

Purchased At:   Buddies

Similar Products Used:   Silly question...Not sure I understand..Nothing compares

Submitted by cannondale a Cross Country Rider from North Bay, Ontario, Canada

Date Reviewed: June 1, 2010

Strengths:    Great Frame, light bike and all around good parts

Weaknesses:    Headshox only has 80 mm, I could use more for my type of riding other than that the fork is excellent.

Bottom Line:
Great bike, would strongly recommend. Its light and gives lots of power to your back wheel. I was very skeptical on the Headshok and was considering replacing it until I did some research and found out what makes it so good. My only wish is more travel on it but I can live with it for the weight savings and true tracking. Its my daily commuter to work through 16kms of trail a day and doesn't skip a beat. Very great bike very well built frame.

Favorite Trail:   my trail

Purchased At:   Used

Similar Products Used:   Kona Shred, Giant ATX 890

Bike Setup:   I switched to a cheap riser bar, selle san marco saddle, and some dmr v8 pedals. Also got some Michelin xc dry tires. The front brake was also changed to a Climb 8. My bike model is the 2002 version (White to dark blue paint)

Submitted by shamrock a Weekend Warrior from flint, mi

Date Reviewed: April 22, 2010

Strengths:    Smooth ride, comfortable seating

Weaknesses:    Gears not productive for downhill distance

Bottom Line:
Buy it! You will like it.

Favorite Trail:   Holly Ski Resort

Purchased At:   Flint Cycle

Similar Products Used:   Raleigh trail

Submitted by youdothemaths a Cross Country Rider from uk

Date Reviewed: January 7, 2010

Strengths:    Looks fantastic.
climbs like a bloody mountain goat.
it has NEVER let me down.
I've had mine 10 years - raced it (XC), thrashed it, had fun on it and commuted on it - it still looks absolutely amazing (in matt black).
The only bike i've fallen in love with the first time i rode it. Consequently i would not even consider anything else.

Weaknesses:    none for me, but i will admit that the front fork does lack options.

Bottom Line:
ABOVE ALL ELSE - IT'S A CANNONDALE

Favorite Trail:   dartmoor

Similar Products Used:   specialized and univega - neither of them compare.

Bike Setup:   standard wheels, standard stem with x lite riser bars, single ring (32T) at the front with rock ring, 9 at the back - all on xtr, hope c2 discs. My downhill roots mean that i don't like 3 rings at the front. I can compete with most bikes with this setup.

Submitted by IndyGibby a Weekend Warrior from Indianapolis, IN

Date Reviewed: June 23, 2008

Strengths:    Looks Awesome,Rides Awesome, love the low clearance of the Delta V, Head Shock with lock out is nice feature, solid ride on or off trail

Weaknesses:    I've had this bike for 14 yrs.....if it had any, i would have got rid of it by now!

Bottom Line:
I dread the day I will need to replace this bike...I ride more for fun and fitness now days, but for about the first 6 or 7 yrs I had this bike, it saw plenty of actual mountain trail riding. I've dropped / jumped this thing off of rocks and cliffs through mud, sand, and water and everything else nature has to offer. This bike has always turned heads to. I also have the funky purple that looks black from the top...very cool paint scheme. i've accented it with bright yellow racing seat, handlebar grips, and break pads which I thought really set the purple off. I just can't say enough about this bike. I also used it as a commuter bike when I lived in FL (despite the fact I have a road bike to). I've seen a lot of buddies toast more expensive frames than this in the hills of VA & WV...this bike is a tank in my opinion, and a great pleasure to ride. Even after 14 yrs I catch myself staring at it saying to myself "That is a bad A$$ looking bike"!

Favorite Trail:   Snow Shoe WV

Purchased At:   Champion Schwinn

Similar Products Used:   GT, Gary Fisher, Trek, Other Cannondales

Bike Setup:   Been through a several rear wheels, gears, seats, etc, but still has original crank arms and handle bar...which is impressive considering how much hard core trail riding this bike has seen back in the day in VA and WV...not to mention the hellacious Urban Assult rides! Still love the Panaracer Smoke tires for off road use

Submitted by Scott Younker a Cross Country Rider from Marietta, GA, USA

Date Reviewed: January 6, 2006

Strengths:    Lightweight, lightweight, lightweight, low maintenance frame/fork results in an amazing climbing machine! Lockout is invaluable during sprints and climbs. Headshock tracks true.

Weaknesses:    Stiffness

Bottom Line:
Durable racing machine ideally suited for moderately technical terrain. Not rock gardens and 6' drops.

Favorite Trail:   Tsali, NC

Purchased At:   Atlanta Cycle and Fitness

Bike Setup:   After 10 years everything except the stem and shifters has worn out and been upgraded. Stock seat post kept bending until upgrading to Raceface's XY model.

Submitted by Robert Eszlinger a Weekend Warrior from Sacramento

Date Reviewed: April 2, 2003

Strengths:    Very light weight, yet strong and solid!

Weaknesses:    Coda Crank and bottom bracket

Bottom Line:
I bought my F700 in '92. I paid around $1200 for it and sprang for the better headshock at time, which was the 3 mode adjustable.
I have never lost my lust for this bike - Even the color has held my attraction toward it, which is a Deep Purple/Black. When you look at the bike from the side it is deep purple, and when you look at it from the top it turns pitch black - Too Cool!
This is one bike you can just keep upgrading until the frame falls apart.
I don't think I'll ever part with this bike, unless somebody steals it from me - But let 'em try - They'll have to get past the ol' Smith & Wesson first.
Anyway - It's 5+ peppers in my book!

Favorite Trail:   Rubicon near S. Lake Tahoe

Purchased At:   Pacific Bicycle

Similar Products Used:   Specialized Stump Jumper

Bike Setup:   Mostly stock. Replaced Coda crank with Shimano Crank and Syrcos Titanium seat post, and a Dual 32Watt Niterider System.

Submitted by rick a Weekend Warrior from sarasota, fl. u.s.a.

Date Reviewed: April 28, 2002

Strengths:    smoke cherry color, cannondale name (heh heh) light and fine

Weaknesses:    i've had this beast for 11 years now and when i find one i'll let you know

Bottom Line:
i've used this bike to get to work 2 or 3 times a week most of the time i've had it and taken it to the trails 6 to 20 times a year for some all day bouncing around in the woods and it still looks basically new except for a ding in the frame where i shut my hatch lid on it like a moron. I'm probably not a typical user of a mtb bike since it's mostly alternate transpo to work and back, but it rides SO FINE, baby, and it's old and stock. I'm dreading the descision of what to replace it with when it finally falls to bits, 'cause I love it so. If it outlives me I might have to change my mind on creamation so I can be buried with it.

Favorite Trail:   barge canal

Purchased At:   59th st bikes

Similar Products Used:   some weird taiwanese steel bike called a shogun and assorted flea market junk

Bike Setup:   bone stock from 1992 except fatty upgrade, also from '92

Submitted by The Locust a Weekend Warrior from Rosamond, CA

Date Reviewed: January 9, 2002

Strengths:    - Great handling
- Incredibly lightweight frame
- Headshok lockout
- Beautiful fit and finish

Weaknesses:    - Grip shifters, which only worked well for a few hours
- No owner Headshok maintenance
- Frame cracked. See below

Bottom Line:
After about 2,000 miles my F700 frame cracked about 2" behind the bottom bracked, on the sprocket side. Otherwise, the bike held up extremely well. Given the frame's incredible light weight, I'm amazed it lasted as long as it did.

Cannondale basically swapped out my F700 for a 2002 F500, partly because of the like-new condition of my F700.

I'm told Cannondale is the only manufacturer left offering a lifetime warranty on aluminum frames. You get what you pay for.

I'll miss my F700, but the F500 is more than a suitable replacement.

This site is awash with people complaining about manufacturers and dealers. I have nothing but praise for Cannondale and REI (handled the warranty).

Favorite Trail:   Salmon Falls Road