Cannondale F3000 Bike Bike 1998 or Older

4.38/5 (47 Reviews)

F3000

Submitted by Nick a cross-country rider from Calgary, Ab, Canada

Date Reviewed: January 30, 1999

Bottom Line:

I bought the late intro 1998 Cannondale F3000. From the minute I heard the specs on the phone I was in love with the bike. The sweet XTR drivetrain, Magura brakes, sweet frame and fork and the light weight make it the perfect bike 'specially for the price tag. Once I saw it I fell even more in love with it from the sexy paint job to how trick it looked. If this were a woman it would be my gf cus its perfect in every way except for a few minor insignificant flaws. The bb tends to squeak a lot now after 6 months of pretty hard riding... and the front hub is binding a bit but overall its serverd me well through descending ultra steep stuff to being there when I totally wiped out. I love this bike! If I got 2 things in life I'll be happy and I got them. My bike and my gf. Life is simple... life is good!

Submitted by Chris a cross-country rider from Silverdale,WA

Date Reviewed: January 28, 1999

Bottom Line:

I enjoy this bike...kinda'like drinking a micro brew...some like it, some don't.....My 98F2K is quick in the tight stuff...average in the technical stuff and simply screams on pure singletrack that has nothing but powerhills and banks....rapidrise shifts nicely, love the 5 lock head///puts you ahead of the pack in a race when in comes down to powering the hill, whether it is on the fireroad or singletrack....Personally, it is a little heavy for me; that is not a bad thing...just a little heavy is all....a few upgrades to the bike and it competes with most high end hardtails out there......it is a fun, quick bike that climbs like a motha'.......buy it.

Submitted by Laughing Boy a cross-country rider from Ro, MI

Date Reviewed: October 28, 1998

Bottom Line:

I'm scared of crack 'n dales. The shocks themselves are wonderfull, don't get me wrong, and the bikes perform great. But for all that money, you could get a better bike with better stuff on it. These bikes break way too easy. We chopped a frame in half to see how the CAAD4 was different from the CAAD3 and it was scary to see how many voids there were in the welds (air pockets. there should be NO air pockets in a weld). Also you may think that a smooth, sanded down weld is better looking, but it decreases the strength of the weld.
four stars for performance, 1 star for quality

Submitted by Nico Molenbeek a cross-country rider from The Netherlands

Date Reviewed: October 22, 1998

Bottom Line:

The best bike i ever owned!!! terriffic climber and awsome if you want to get into your pedals!!! the only thing what you must replace is the fuc... Avid brakes i have chosen the Shimano XTR v brakes the really work!!!!
overall a teriffic bike. Caad 4 Rules......
and your friends will wil hate it!!!!!!!

Submitted by Wallace & Gromit a cross-country rider from CT

Date Reviewed: October 4, 1998

Bottom Line:

We originally bought two 1999 F1000s, but they came with so many flaws that Cannondale gave us new, mid-season bikes. They are sensational--light and stiff for climbing, not too stiff for descending. The HeadShok works great, and the shifting is flawless with an all-Shimano drive train. The cassette is XTR as well as the rear derailleur, the Coda components work well, and the bikes have worked great over the last month and a half. We are delighted, and the bikes do everything that one could reasonably and sometimes unreasonably ask.

Submitted by jon a cross-country rider from ny

Date Reviewed: August 4, 1998

Bottom Line:

I find this a super bike for a experienced rider it handles like a snake swerving in and out of turns. with a better crank set and derailer this is a great ride this bike can hold a sumo wrestler. i like cannondale for the strong durable and dependable bike it is I on the other hand am against the grip shift for strong reasons but would have it replaced

Submitted by Graham G a weekend warrior from London, England

Date Reviewed: July 29, 1998

Bottom Line:

I have just bought an F3000SL and can only say one thing - AWESOME !Yeah it's expensive, but weighing in at 21lbs, crossmax, avid arch supreme, CAAD4 frame set, Fatty SL front shock, Thompson post etc, etc, it is just a stunning bike to ride and look at.The inclusion of a titanium 9 speed cassette, coupled with the Coda 44/28 chainset avoids duplication, and saves weight.I had not used grip shift before, but I am now a convert. Quartz 9.0 with the XTR rear mech changes instantly. My other bikes will be converted shortly.It climbs like a monkey, XC it goes where you want it too, and downhill is no problem at all !Conclusion: If you have got a spare £2,500 - Order one now. You will not be dissappointed.

Submitted by Domen a cross-country rider from Slovenia

Date Reviewed: June 22, 1998

Bottom Line:

I have this bike since May and it is a very good buy. It is very light and very good climber. The only problem is saddle CODA 1000 it is a little too hard.The frame is good too, very good geometry.The headshock is working great it is really good.
Overall this is great bike...

Submitted by Bruce S. a downhiller from England

Date Reviewed: June 5, 1998

Bottom Line:

I own a Cannondale F1000, with the DD60 shock and various CODA bits. At first, I had problems with the seat post slipping, and eventually bottoming out on the bottle cage rivet- not good for the frame. But, I got a replacement frame, and I have had no problems.
CODA have come in for a lot of flak, and I am not sure why- Firstly, The CODA pedals are excellent- the shimanos are really not any better. The XYZ bar ends are really good- better than others I have used. The front hub is really no probelm, contrary to the reviews (and it has put up with British weather!), and the handlebars and stem are fine. One gripe though- the chainset creaks and I can feel it click under pressure, so I'll probablly replace it.
The bike rides very well- handling is quick but not twithchy, which makes for a good singletrack bike. The light stiff frame is great up hills, and the handling makes for good downhill performance. The shock is far better than any rock shox I've ridden, which are badly damped and twisty by comparison. All in all a good bike, but maybe a little too light for real durability.

Submitted by Mike a racer from Raleigh, NC

Date Reviewed: June 1, 1998

Bottom Line:

Background info: I weigh in at about 220, ride hard, and actually use the bike to race XC in the Clydesdale class. I live for ultra-technical singletrack, and go by the motto, Its always faster to ride over/through something than to walk over it. My bike is always dirty, but always well lubed, and very well maintained.I bought my CDale F2000 about 1 year ago. The frame and fork are too cool. Lite-weight, one of the best forks on the market... this thing is great. The ride is a little rough because the frame is so stiff, but this thing climbs like a big kitty that hasn't eaten for a long time. If the bike had a brain of its own, it would climb hills all day long. Ya just kinda point the bike and it goes.However nice the frame and fork are, I have had some problems with the overall bike.After about 1 month of riding, I bent the CODA handlebars. A couple months later, I broke the left CODA 701 crank arm in two pieces. Another month down the road, I busted the CODA seat. a few months later, my second set of CODA handlebars failed. Beginning to see a pattern? Basically, it is my opinion that CODA sucks. About the only thing CODA that has not failed in the year I have ridden the bike is the front hub and skewer! As could be expected, I have not had any problems with any of the Shimano compents on the bike.I also had problems with the wheels. I talked with my local bike store, and they told me that CDale builds the wheels themselves, and does not use spoke tape (more time/money???). The net result is that the wheels went out of true after only a couple rides, and would never stay in true until I finally spent the bucks and had them rebuilt. Problem solved, but still a major pain in the butt... and one that CDale should have handled before I bought the bike.Another sort-of gripe... The F2000 is spec'd with a UNC51 (Shimano LX) bottom bracket. What the heck? They go out of their way to put out a super-lite bike, and then add a quarter pound by going with a bottom bracket that costs $5 less than the one they should have stocked the bike with. I would have paid another $5 for my bike when I bought it!So... I now have a new set of Ti handlebars, RaceFace cranks with a UNC71 bottom bracket,a new seat, and rebuilt wheels. Yes the bike is a screamer, but come'on Cannondale get yer crap together. I thought I was buying a nice hardtail that I could race with, not a really nice frame and fork loaded with crap. I wouldn't even put CODA garbage on my wifes bike (very mild rider).If this rating were for the frame and fork, I would give 5 chillies in a heartbeat, but being that we are rating the entire bike... sorry Cannondale... yer bike sucks. My advice to anyone out there would be to find one of these mail order places I've seen advertised, and buy just the frame and fork, along with a Shimano XT build kit. Save yourself the hassles I have endured.

Submitted by John Messman a weekend warrior from Beaverton, OR

Date Reviewed: May 29, 1998

Bottom Line:

After 10 years of riding a 78 Specialized HardRock, with Hard everything, I
thought it was time for a change. When I started looking at bikes I
was amazed at how much things had changed in 10 years. The more I looked and read, the more I was attracted to FS bikes. When it came time to start making a choice, I rode a number of bikes and really liked them all. When it came time
to spend the money, I decided that FS was too heavy and too much money for
the kind of riding I do and started looking for a well equiped hardtail. I
bought an F2000 because everything seemed to work well: shock, shifters,
and brakes along with my body fit (6'3, 200lbs = xlarge frame). After 2
months of riding the bike I don't regret buying it and think the light
weight and on the fly adjustable shock are its best features. There are
probably better bikes for racing but for moderate on and offroad, the F2000
is a joy to ride. I will give it 4 out of 5. Nothing is perfect.

Submitted by Jake Frame a racer from Gig Harbor, WA. USA

Date Reviewed: May 13, 1998

Bottom Line:

I recently bought a '98 CADD3 frame with a fatty SL fork, and customized the rest of the bike with RaceFace cranks, bottom bracket, and bars, control tech bar ends, 98 sram 8.0 micro adjust gripshifters, a thomas seatpost, ceramic rims, and full XT components. (Thanks to Old Town Bicycle in Gig Harbor WA) I must say that this bike totally rocks. I don't think I have ever loved riding a bike so much. I can spend all day in the saddle and not have any complaints. This bike is an unbelievable climber, (ever look forward to climbing hills...ride a cannondale), goes exactly where you point it without hesitation, and is solid as a rock decending. Kudos to Cannondale for making the best bike in the world.

Submitted by scott a racer from n.c.

Date Reviewed: May 6, 1998

Bottom Line:

i bought my f1000 at the end of last year. it has been a great bike. it climbs better than anything ive riden. ive made a couple of small changes (handle bar, bar ends, and grips). the biggest change was the fork (upgrade from fatty d to a fatty sl) im very pleased. it is very responsive. overall the bike is awsome the only complant i have is the seatpost (which im replacing). it seems to allow the seat to shift forward and back. in a race and even on a training ride this can become very uncomfortable. this is my only complant, like i said overall the bike is kick ass...

Submitted by Mike a cross-country rider from Phoenix, Arizonza, USA

Date Reviewed: April 8, 1998

Bottom Line:

This review is on my F2000. Simply put, I love it. Before I even rode it, I upgraded
the brakes, front derailluer and brake levers/shifters to XTR. I also changed out the
rapid rise rear derailleur to the standard type (I have two other bikes on the
standard system and didn't want to have to deal with the difference). I also put
Shimano's 747 pedals on the bike. On cross country terrain, the bike accelerates
and handles like no other bike I've ridden. I am also very impressed with the
overall quality of the bike (frame, paint, etc.). My Cannondale dealer did an
excellent job setting it up for me. They (Bikemasters, Tempe, AZ) represent the
Cannondale line very well. At $1,600, I think it's an affordable upper end cross
country racer. Mountain Bike Action recently did a review of the bike and gave
it an excellent review, which heavily influenced my purchase. I love the blue with
yellow graphics. Of all my bikes, its my overall favorite!

Submitted by Glenn Tinseth a cross-country rider from Corvallis, Oregon, U.S.A.

Date Reviewed: March 16, 1998

Bottom Line:

I bought my '97 F2000 used from the MTBR Marketplace for $975. I had to de-creak the Coda 700 cranks, and overhall the Fatty 70 due to a hole in the rubber gasket (and some little stuff like brake pads and chain). This bike is amazing! The Fatty real eats up the fast fire road bumps; I bet it's increased my in-control top speed by 5-6 mph on the downhills. It's very agile and at 23.5 lbs it climbs like nothing I've ever ridden. I get a lot of sh*t from the chromo-snobs I ride with, but when I clean a muddy uphill while my bud pulls his Yo Eddy off to the side of the trail to let me by, I just smile and say...You should have bought a Cannondale. Rating: 5 flaming chiles plus one more for viper red!

F3000 SL , my second bike

i bought a used F3000SL good good frame condition old XT componets on bike , but in perfect shape very low use , used from the wife of seller cheap price , i'm happy to have this second bike .... so now if my Scalpel faults in a part, i can ride another bike , during sostitution of c ... Read More »

converting a F3000 mountain bike to a cyclocross bike

I want to turn my F3000 into a cross bike for this comming cross season. Right now it has a left fork, but I want to replace it with a rigid fork. Is it possible to put 700c road wheels on the bike as well with cyclocross tires? I also want to run disc brakes as well so I need to get disc compati ... Read More »