Cannondale F1000 SL Bike 1998 or Older

Cannondale F1000 SL

Submitted by BEN LEE a Weekend Warrior from BOSSIER CITY, LA USA

Date Reviewed: November 8, 2007

Strengths:    an amazing bike!!!!! i've given this bike hell and i haven't had much trouble whatsoever...the frame is very light and extremely durable!! it flies on downhills!!!!! i mean flies too...this was custom built by my father for my 23rd birthday....great job dad!!!

Weaknesses:    none i absolutely love it!!

Bottom Line:
best bike i will ever have hands down!!! i would recommend this setup to anyone!!

Favorite Trail:   the monkey trail

Purchased At:   custom build

Bike Setup:   1999 cannondale f1000 frame, spin carbor fiber rims, easton monkey bar handlebars, easton seatpost, selle italia saddle, full '07 xtr drivetrain(amazing and worth the money), panaracer 1.95's tires.....custom build from the ground up...paint job is color changing...purple from one angle then changes to a dark green from another!!!!

Submitted by Adam V a Racer from Wiston-Salem, NC,USA

Date Reviewed: July 17, 2004

Strengths:    This bike roks it is light weight and rides smooth. I am a cross country rider and smoke people now the hill's so I got to love this bike.

Weaknesses:    The third front cog is way to big and I can only use it on the roads. If your going to race a lot and ride over damp roots, I would change the tires. To the light riders like me I would suggest chagning the oil in the shock the rebound is to slow.

Bottom Line:
I would reccomend this bike to anny rider thst want's to get searious. I have had minimal problems with it and surived a lot of crashes with it. I am giving it 5 chillies because this bike is well rounded.

Favorite Trail:   Tanglewood

Purchased At:   The Bike Shop

Similar Products Used:   None a good as this

Submitted by Jeff K a Racer from Pittsfield MA

Date Reviewed: February 9, 2000

Strengths:    Excellent Bicycle. I had ridden many different Klien's in the late 80's early 90's and vowed that I would never ride aluminum again after breaking my back.
The F1000SL was purchased after I tried a friends F1000 (1998) due to me loaning my bike to a friend.
The F-1000SL is an amazing bike (and I was not a believer before)

The high points
#1 The suspension....having ridden on everything that is out there except for Sun suspension forks I feel very comfortable stating that this is the best tracking fork EVER. There are some issues with the UL's damping (or lack there of but more on that later). The component spec is a little strange but they have created an affordable bike that has outrageous performance. The parts that matter are of high quality. OVERALL a great spec'd bike, for the money!!

Weaknesses:    Two front chain rings, many people might not be strong enough to push these, but my first love is single speeds so even having gears is great!!
The fork is an amazing tracking fork, however they are not using the adjusteable dampening cartridge from the high end fork and the max oil weight I believe is 7.5. This is just not quite enough dampening for my liking. I replaced the oil with heavier (7.5) and it got better but still under dampened.
The component selection.....this could be a negative in that the components are a hodge podge, but the bike is only $1500 so you can't expect full XTR anyways. The only realy possible negative is the shifters. Theyput LX shifters on and they are not as crisp as my XTR's or XT, but so far they have worked okay.

Bottom Line:
Overall a great bike. Sure their are LX level components on it but it only cost $1500. A Great Frame and Fork that would be worthy of a full XTR upgrade!! (If you wanted to)

A note, this is probably one of the least expensive bikes I have yet it is my favorite!!

Jeff

Favorite Trail:   Broken Thumb in Lenox MA

Similar Products Used:   Titus HCR, full XTR------
Ventana Marble Peak, XT/XTR------
Rat Ride, 1x1 (single speed)
Klein Rascals(plural)
Bridgestone RB-1
Many more.......

Bike Setup:   pretty much stock except a suspension seat post and a tire switch(the stock one's are useless for new england single track, to darn small!!)

Submitted by Gertjan a Cross-Country Rider from The Netherlands

Date Reviewed: July 12, 1999

Strengths:
CAAD4 frame
Headshok
Low weight

Weaknesses:
LX Components
Mavic 220 Rims

Bottom Line:
My only complaint to Cannondale is the weird mix of components on this bike.
For instance: replace the XTR rear-derailleur with an XT and the pro-max PX-2 brakes with slightly more expensive LX-V brakes.
Since i upgraded a lot of components, i am not going to take in this in account for my rating.
5 stars for the bike (less for cannondales policy on component selection)

any trail