Cannondale 2000 Super V 800 Bike 1998 or Older

3.75/5 (4 Reviews)

Cannondale 2000 Super V 800

Submitted by Chris a Weekend Warrior from Bradford, MA

Date Reviewed: July 28, 2000

Strengths:    Tough, rigid frame.

The bike was tested by institute for bicycle research called "Engineering for Bikes". A mass of 1300N (equals 291lbs) was applied to the bottom bracket for 100,000 cycles on a test stand.

The Super V's and the Raven's were pretty much the only bikes who survived this test. This test included Specialized, Schwinn, Klein, GT and over 60 other high end frames).

You can review the test results @ www.efbe.de/ehard.htm. I have contacted EFBE to receive more detailed test results but they stated that Specialized and other well-known ATB manufacturers requested NOT to get their test results published. I guess their stuff broke way to easy.

Other product strengths include:
-Super handling (both downhill and cross country)
-Precise stirring (thanks to the Fatty fork which could be a little bit more plush)
-Only 27lbs (which isn't bad considering full suspension and one of the most rigid frames in the world)
-Lifetime service and warranty
-Good looks (not that important)

Weaknesses:    -Clicking cranks
-Adjustment of the Coda clipless pedals

Bottom Line:
I love it and trust me, I am abusing it.

I have hunted down every rider on their Stumpjumper FSR's, Schwinn's and GT's on my trails so far (and they all hate me for it). I recently met a guy who actually ran downhill in front of me on a pretty nasty trail (with his bike under his arm) just to avoid getting passed. He looked funny but didn't get away (seemed to be a nice though).

The clipless pedals almost brought me into trouble because they don't always release at the same torque (I have actually measured 7 ft-lbs up to 11 ft-lbs of torque with a meter attached to the heal of my shoe).

The clicking crank is annoying and I have already replaced it (...and the new one clicks again). I have checked the old crank and found metal flakes from the mounting surfaces of the crank arm (seems to brake when being over-tightened).

I would give it 4.5 chilies because there are even more sophisticated bikes out there (well, not for that price) but I will give it 5 chilies because of all these jerks (like that sucker Paul and others with their 10,000 typos) who keep putting this bike down and talk about jumping of garage roofs, etc.. (they must be stupid).

Go Cannondale!!!!!!

Favorite Trail:   Dogtown Glouchester, MA

Similar Products Used:   Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Pro, GT's full suspension bike w/ I-Drive, Scott Pro Racing (for over 10 years)

Bike Setup:   As specified by Cannondale (unfortunately they replaced the Mavic X221 rims with Weinmann ZAC19 which aren't that great).

I have purchased the bike with the WTB Velocirator tires right away because I suspected that the factory tires don't perform that great.

Submitted by Josh a Weekend Warrior from crab shack

Date Reviewed: October 22, 1999

Strengths:
i smell

Weaknesses:
i smell

Bottom Line:
i smell

north branch

less than 1 month

Submitted by paul a Cross-Country Rider from chicago, il

Date Reviewed: August 30, 1999

Strengths:

Weaknesses:
manufacturing defects

Bottom Line:
W A R N I N G , READ THIS BEFORE BUYING A CANNONDALE!!!!!! I have a Cannondale M900, it’s a couple of years old now but when bought it was one of their higher end frames. Recently I discovered a place in the frame tubing where the welder or someone at the factory had burnt a hole in the tubing & patched it with bondo. This was then painted over & you could not see it until the paint had chipped away much later. I contacted Cannondale & their field rep informed me that this is a common occurrence at Cannondale & in no way considered a defect. I’ve tried to talk to someone else in the company but keep getting the run-around. That hand-built American quality & attention to detail Cannondale advertises is BULLSHIT!! I WAS SOLD DEFECTIVE MERCHANDISE & THE COMPANY REFUSES TO ACKNOWLEDGE THERE IS A PROBLEM.

palos

more than 3 years

Submitted by Rod Windle a Cross-Country Rider from Hood River, Oregon

Date Reviewed: August 17, 1999

Strengths:
Solid performer, great gear range, climbs and rides like a dream. A better value for the money than earlier Cannondales. It's great being able to lock out the front suspension. Quality and finish is superb.

Weaknesses:
The brakes were weak. I replaced them with Arch Rival 50s. What would make this bike totally killer would be to upgrade the rear shock with the Fox RC...they fit but as of this date they are NOT AVAILABLE for love or money.

Bottom Line:
I love this bike and just won my age division in the Hood River Xterra on it.

Surveyor's Ridge

3 months

1999 Cannondale super V 900. 1999 Santa Cruz Heckler.

Fatty headshok w/ 80 mm of travel, Fox vanilla float rear shock, Tailbones saddle with the funny little hole that saves your nuts--it's like sitting in an easy chair.