Bridgestone MB3 Bike 1998 or Older

4.86/5 (36 Reviews)

Bridgestone MB3

Submitted by Mike Naylor a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: September 21, 2012

Strengths:    Durable (!), nimble, attractive

Weaknesses:    The youngsters at bike shops look at me like I have two heads when I tell them I ride a Bridgestone that is older then they are.

Bottom Line:
I bought my purple MB3 new in 1991. Its been my #1 ride since then, and for 9 months a year I've ridden it to absolute death from New York to Florida to Michigan to Texas and many, many points in between. I'm still riding almost daily on nearly all the original parts (brakes, shifters, cranks, etc). It's insane how well this bike has held up over many, many thousands of miles of single track. I would be hard pressed to find anything ever purchased in my life that was a better investment.

Just last week I was riding on a friend's brand new mountain bike sporting tires that each cost more than my bike cost me. I would not have traded him had he offered. I have zero desire for a new mountain bike.

I'm no bike expert, but something about the frame geometry of this bike gives me a sense of control I've never felt on any other mountain bike. Something about the head tube angle, where the front tire strikes the ground relative to the pedal position, and other less tangible things let me creep up hills that crush my friends on their suspension bikes. I am not a gifted rider, but I can confidently cross streams and logs that I have no business even attempting at my age.

If you can get your hands on one in good shape, I highly recommend taking one for a spin. It's a very special bike.

Favorite Trail:   Patapsco State Park- Daniels Area

Duration Product Used:   21 years

Purchased At:   Easton Maryland

Similar Products Used:   lots...

Bike Setup:   Seat, brake pads, clipless pedals and chain replaced periodically over the years- otherwise 100% original parts.

Submitted by yokohama1970 a Cross Country Rider from Pittsburgh, PA

Date Reviewed: July 8, 2009

Strengths:    Solid Frame, easy to maintain Rock Shox & solid Shimano Deore LX components

Bottom Line:
I own two Bridgestone MB-3's. The 1994 is an MTB. The 1992 is a Single Speed Urban Ride.

My 1994 Bridestone MB-3 is an Excellent Single Track Bike, & hill climber. Simple to maintain. I would never venture away from Cro-Moly or Hardtail frames. So glad eBay has old school MTB's.

Favorite Trail:   Robinson TWP

Purchased At:   Dirty Harry's

Similar Products Used:   1992 Bridgestone MB-3 Single Speed Urban Bike w/ Ritchey Logic Rigid Fork.

Bike Setup:   MB-3 MTB has mostly original parts. Rock Shox Quadra 10, Zoom Stem, Shimano Deore LX, etc.. Tires have been replaced a few times. A few seats over the years.

MB-3 SingleSpeed has mostly original parts except for the Chain Tensioner, new seat & 26" Road Tires.

Submitted by Dave Q. a Weekend Warrior from Tucson, Az. USA

Date Reviewed: February 7, 2009

Strengths:    This is actually an MB-2. Beautiful condition, came with original brakes, (Ritchey) levers and stem / handlebar. Surprisingly light steel frame (Prestige / cro-mo mix).

Weaknesses:    Wish I'd been the first owner

Bottom Line:
This is actually an MB-2. I love this bike. One of the few advantages of a poor economy is that I was able to find this bike at a super-reasonable price!
It handles extremely well, very light and nimble. The XT rear derailuer has a short cage, which is rare, in addition to the smaller cog range in the rear. The shifters work really well and the brakes are sure stoppers! This is going to be my daily commuter (in Arizona).

Favorite Trail:   Anything

Purchased At:   2nd owner

Similar Products Used:   Specialized Stumpjumper, Mongoose IBOC Zero-G

Bike Setup:   XT thumbshifters, derailuers, stock wheelset, Avid SD shifters and v-brakes. IRC Mythos XC tires, Specialized stock cranks.

Submitted by saxpride52 a Weekend Warrior from Cupertino, CA

Date Reviewed: September 18, 2008

Strengths:    Really nimble, original owner and it still runs so smoothly, mechanically sound.

Weaknesses:    still running on a lot of original parts as i forgot about the bike for many years, so some gears don't work well. but its 15 years old...

Bottom Line:
As I grew up with the bike, i didn't realize it was such a treat until maybe a year or two ago. I personally didn't even realize it was a Bridgestone (what? tire manufacturer makes bikes??) until I needed a bike and I pulled it from the attic (after it having been there for a decade or so). Compared to all my friend's wal-mart specials, this bike is like liquid loving. What really blows me away is the confidence I have in maneuvering. I just read up there are differences in Bridgestones (read shorter chassis) which makes it turn with ease and confidence. the bike rides very smoothly too. some gears aren't working right, and i'm not a bike enthusiast right now so i'm not sure why, but other than that this bike is solid. btw here is a link to the original brochure.
If you come across one of these and are looking for an older, more sport oriented bike then definitely look into this bike!

Purchased At:   Any Mountain (1995)

Similar Products Used:   specialized bikes

Bike Setup:   stock

Submitted by Dave a Cross Country Rider from Port Hope, Canada

Date Reviewed: February 14, 2008

Strengths:    Steel frame is as smooth as butter and just keeps going for ever

Bottom Line:
I bought this bike new in 1992 and I have ridden it without trouble for many thousands of miles. It has been across Africa and to the high Arctic on some of the worst roads and toughest trails on the planet. I've commuted on city streets, pulled a BOB trailer with 70lbs of gear, and loaded it down with panniers. There is nothing that this bike can't do. Right now I'm planning to get the frame refurbished and repainted to deal with the scrapes, scratches, and rust that life throws my way. It's probably going to cost $300 but it's money well spent to keep the best bike I've ever owned on the road.

My old Bridgestone still turns a lot of heads among those who know their classic rides!

Purchased At:   Ottawa, Canada

Bike Setup:   I ahve upgarded the major components as they'v e worn out over the years (e.g. replaced with XT hubs and XTR derailleurs, Brooks leather saddle) Rugged old shifters are still going strong after more than 15 years

Submitted by herbe chun a Downhiller from palo alto

Date Reviewed: September 7, 2007

Strengths:    exceptional ride and unique riding position

Weaknesses:    ZERO

Bottom Line:
Bridgestone does not make bikes anymore, but Bridgestone's MB bikes lives on...

Favorite Trail:   cupertino hills

Purchased At:   1991 - never bought another bike

Similar Products Used:   Never bought another bike since the Bridgestone MB-3

Bike Setup:   Stock

Submitted by herbe chun a Downhiller from palo alto

Date Reviewed: September 7, 2007

Strengths:    exceptional ride and unique riding position

Weaknesses:    ZERO

Bottom Line:
Bridgestone does not make bikes anymore, but Bridgestone's MB bikes lives on...

Favorite Trail:   cupertino hills

Purchased At:   1991 - never bought another bike

Similar Products Used:   Never bought another bike since the Bridgestone MB-3

Bike Setup:   Stock

Submitted by bubba a Cross Country Rider from South Bend ,Indiana

Date Reviewed: June 29, 2007

Strengths:    duration and dependability of frame after 69,000.... original Front deraillier [suntour],& shifters 7 speed friction/index only can use friction now with 8 speed casette.

Weaknesses:    none . had this bike new since 1991 after about 60,000 miles began to notice the radically detereoration of the frames livelyness

Bottom Line:
after 69,000 miles of use since 1991 this rider of 155# and with occasionaly another 25# of gear loaded for xc road touring has finally whipped this frame into submission..Thought I was going to retire it at 100,000 but I'm not having any fun climbing with it anymore it just soaks up anything I put to it. Must retire this frame now it'been a good ride off & on the roads.......

I'm looking for a Good GT Backroads frame with the ridgid chrome moly fork...17-18"..for it has eyelets for racks for touring

Favorite Trail:   roads

Purchased At:   MB-4

Similar Products Used:   CyclePro Skyline

Bike Setup:   MB-4 Ritchey tubing, fully lugged frame. one piece fork with eyelets & braze-ons..many diff components over the years

Submitted by scott a Cross Country Rider from Eugene, Oregon USA

Date Reviewed: April 19, 2007

Strengths:    lugged steel, geometry and ground control.

Weaknesses:    they don't make it anymore. On this model, the steel is not as good as earlier years when they used Ritchey Logic.

Bottom Line:
I have more fun on this bike than any other. I had an mb-1 back in the day and got rid of it for a bike with a suspension fork. (youthful mistake) I found this at a yardsale for 50 bucks in 2001 and bought it. I was riding a full suspension stumpjumper at the time. Now, that stump is gone. I have since added another mb-3 to commute on and found a 93 mb-1 that i have set up as a singlespeed. I rode the Kokopelli on this bike last year, really enjoyed the ride over the long haul.

Favorite Trail:   anything in pisgah

Purchased At:   yard sale

Similar Products Used:   bridgestone mb-1

Bike Setup:   1x7, thumbshifter, mostly stock with saddle, post, crank, and wheel upgrades.

Submitted by shy alkan a Cross Country Rider from Tel Aviv, Israel

Date Reviewed: July 26, 2005

Strengths:    Steel frame, good ride. Looks modern.

Weaknesses:    for its age - no weakness

Bottom Line:
This is a 1994 MB-3 SUS.
I am never selling this bike. Its fast and rugged, with a ride quality that makes me want to get on it again as soon as I finish a trail. Turning it into a singlespeed is the best thing that happend to this bike. Very stealthy - no one knows what it is (its former owner repainteded without any markings). Dumb luck finding it in a pawn shop (I didn't know what I was buying, seven years ago when I was just starting out with mountain bikes).

The bottom line is, if you get your hands on a Bridgestone, do not let it go. Steel is unbeatable.

Favorite Trail:   Austin Greenbelt

Purchased At:   Pawn Shop

Similar Products Used:   KHS Comp ST,
Fisher Sugar 3
Giant XTC SE2
Canondale Scalpel

Bike Setup:   Made it into a singlespeed. A mish mash of parts, some stock, some newer. This frame makes any part look good!

Submitted by Pete Kelly a Racer from Gilbert, AZ, usa

Date Reviewed: July 7, 2005

Strengths:    Classic lug frame. Grant Peterson knows what he is doing and didn't fall prey to gimicks.

Weaknesses:    Where? on the MB-3....nada!

Bottom Line:
I worked at a shop and bought my MB-3 directly through our rep. back in '90. It's all red w/ yellow graphics and I wouldn't get rid of it for any $$$$. When people ask me what type of bike I have the have this glazed look when I tell them Bridgestone. Newbees just don't understand the classic styling and/or appreciate that Bridgestone made something other than tires.

When I go it goes!

Purchased At:   Bike Shop

Similar Products Used:   Rock Hopper, Fisher HK2

Bike Setup:   Stock baby! I did mangle the fork and replaced it with another steel one. The owner of the shop that put the new fork on couldn't get over the quality of the frame even though it was about 10yrs old at the time.

Submitted by Brandon Walburn a Cross Country Rider from Dunstable, MA. U.S.A

Date Reviewed: July 6, 2005

Strengths:    The tougest bike you could be lucky enough to own

Weaknesses:    none unless you ovalize the headtube like I have

Bottom Line:
My Bridgestone MB-3 has had many forms over the years from an all out road bike to trials to freeride,thats how the head tube went south I think the big drops in Lynn woods.I'm going to try and fix the headtube.This was my first real bike I bought as a frame and fork set in 1993.I've been a mechanic in the past and have ridden them all but nothing rides like my MB-3, My uncle has a 1994 MB-1 that I've got my eye's on but he won't part with it;smart man.If I could only go back in time and buy 10 of these things I would in a second.

Favorite Trail:   Lynn Woods

Purchased At:   Browns of Beverly

Similar Products Used:   jamis, kona,haro,you name it i've owned it

Bike Setup:   new xt 9 spd kinesis fork spinergy wheels old school xtr yes the big chainring stuff

Submitted by David Harrington a Cross Country Rider from Atlanta, ga

Date Reviewed: July 2, 2004

Strengths:    steel, long top tube, balanced, SOLID AS A ROCK

Weaknesses:    You will never want to part with it-EVER

Bottom Line:
Seriously, B-stone was such an awesome company. I have beat this bike (and I am 200 lbs) and this thing never gives out. Once, I mangled my rear der. on a log (actually twisted the body of the der. to a 45 degree angle and the dropouts didn't even budge. I am looking at a lemond ti and a cinelli but seriously I can't ever see myself riding anything else. Thank you to the person that sold me this bike (my road bike is collecting dust).

Favorite Trail:   david.harrington@mindspring.com

Similar Products Used:   fisher pro-caliber

Bike Setup:   stock-stock-stock-ok, one mod and that is a cinelli unicanter seat

Submitted by john su a Cross Country Rider from los angeles, ca

Date Reviewed: April 12, 2004

Strengths:    steel, stiff but compliant, great handling

Weaknesses:    heavy compared to modern hardtails

Bottom Line:
an update to my earlier post... i've had this bike 10 years now... gradual upgrading as parts broke including xtr 8 speed, indy xc fork. the original threaded headset or maybe its the fork is having some play now. the 1" is very limiting. the original lx crankset is still going strong although chainrings are pretty worn out. i've got a raceface turbine set waiting to put on it. i love this bike and with the "new" used white/217 wheelset i just got it just flies up hills (had lx/rhynolites previously) and the weights down to 26.5 from 28.5 stock. the frame is close to 5.5lbs i believe so i'm tempted to upgrade to a lighter 853 steel or titanium 3-4lbs frame. the mb3 maybe retired to commuting duty only but i still love it.

Favorite Trail:   el prieto

Purchased At:   missing link, berkeley

Bike Setup:   upgraded to 1" threaded indy xc, xtr 8 speed shifters, selle saddle, white industry/217 wheels, 26.5lbs

Submitted by steve c a Cross Country Rider from bradford ma

Date Reviewed: October 26, 2003

Strengths:    incredible frameset. ritchey logic tubing is great, steel is great anyway.

Weaknesses:    has a long top tube for me. but other than that, nothing!!

Bottom Line:
great bike for the money at the time and still today. show me where you can get a steel lugged complete bike for $700 new!! and using a nice tubeset to boot!! simple design, strong frame, decent parts, short money to upgrade the front end, couldn't have done any better!! love the bike dont think i'll ever part with it. unless of course the right amount was thrown my way!!!

Favorite Trail:   lynn woods

Purchased At:   Farina cycles

Similar Products Used:   none. my first mtb. although now i just got a used Ted Wojcik full suspension frame for a project build.

Bike Setup:   kept it stock for a bit and i ended up changing out the front end to a Specialized FS Carbon fork (basically a Rock shox Mag 21), Answer bar and stem and changed to Grip Shift. everything else is still stock and running strong. original paint job, maroon, is still good too!!

Cheap MB3

Saw this on Ebay, pretty sure the size is listed incorrectly. Looking at it I would guess that it is a 49cm but that is just a guess. A little too large for me or I would be picking it up. I have no affiliation with the buyer, just thought someone on here might be looking for a project. [url=h ... Read More »

Need help converting 87 mb3 to SS

[URL="http://www.sheldonbrown.com/bridgestone/1987/pages/bridgestone-1987-18.htm"]http://www.sheldonbrown.com/bridgestone/1987/pages/bridgestone-1987-18.htm[/URL] i have that and want to go to a single speed. the problem is every kit ive looked at is set up for converting 7-9 speed bikes. mines ... Read More »

Going to save an MB3(or at least try)

I found this bike for a pretty reasonable price, although it is pretty hammered. It's too small for me by a couple of sizes, but I thought it would make a good project to do a basic rebuild. It's all there, but has seen better days. [IMG]http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff169/72tunaboat/IMG_427 ... Read More »

Questions about bridgestone mb3

Hi i'm new to this forum and new to biking in general. I'm a student who recently recovered from some major surgeries and i can no longer run to stay in shape so I am planning to start to bike for a cardio workout. I have never had a serious bike but yesterday one of my dads friends gave me his bla ... Read More »

MB3 1" headtube issue

Hi guys Been thinking about what to do with my dads old Bridgestone MB3. It is still a very nice Cro-moly frame. While I was overseas a "friend" of his got him a "great" deal on some RST capa forks which he put on. When I got back a couple of years ago I decided I wanted to get into mountain ... Read More »