Bridgestone MB-1 Bike 1998 or Older

4.92/5 (26 Reviews)

Bridgestone MB-1

Submitted by John Hill

Date Reviewed: November 5, 2012

Strengths:    Everything. As the last poster said, it is amazing to do a review this late in a bikes life but I spent a long time picking which bike I wanted at the time and it is rare that you pick something that is so special, an incredible value, and lasts pretty close to a lifetime. Bridgestone tried to beat this bike with the MB-0 but didn't succeed.

Weaknesses:    I haven't had any problems. It still has mostly original parts. I think I rode it a year or two with the original fork and then went to a rock shox. I think that helped save the headtube and it effectively calmed the headtube angle just a little I think.

Bottom Line:
I bought the bike new, raced it rode it, abused it and it has never let me down. It transitioned with me to calmer riding and admittedly has not seen as much use recently as I went over to riding motorcycles. I'm in Argentina and thinking about bringing it down here on my next trip home.

I have ridden a bunch of newer full suspensions and granted if you pedal hard enough, they will go over anything. The MB1 requires you to pick a line but was and maybe is the best bike for doing that.

Submitted by rkopald a Cross Country Rider from Hillsboro, OR USA

Date Reviewed: May 11, 2011

Strengths:    Uh...it's lasted twenty years. That's a loong time.

Weaknesses:    The front headset tube is too short, which has resulted in an ovalized head tube, rendering new bearing race installs impossible. The only flaw of this bike, but a huge one.

Bottom Line:
I know it's patently absurd to be reviewing a bicycle manufactured over twenty years ago, but seeing as I just replaced a 13 year old saddle, and I'm still riding this frame, I thought it's long past time to offer my opinions. ;)
I bought this bike NEW (I swear) in 1991 at Peak Sports in Corvallis. Within 5 months I had cracked the bottom headset cup after coming down off a jump at the bottom of Chip Ross Park. Since then, the headset has slowly ovalized with every replacement of the headset cups. I'm on number 6, but this bike aint jumping anymore. Since 2004 this has been "relegated" to a commuter and training bike.
Guess what? It's still going strong. It can still fly down hills like it's new. Sure, the front end is a little squirrelly due to the ovalized head tube, but it's completely manageable. And it's still comfortable and pretty springy. It's not as pliant as it was when it was new, but for road rides, fire roads, and commuting it's perfectly fine.
So: TWENTY YEARS OF SERVICE out of one frame. If I total the parts I’ve replaced (I’d guess around $4,000 over the lifespan of the bike, not including my new grips, bar ends, and my new Fizik saddle) and cost of ownership, I would estimate I’ve spent (highballing) 6K.. That’s 300 bones a year, or around 6 DOLLARS A WEEK. In 1991 dollars or 2011 dollars that’s not a lot of money. Plus, I still love to ride my MB1. A lot. I think I got my money’s worth out of it. It’s a damn shame that Bridgestone as it was back then isn’t around today, because I think they’d have a shot at making it now. They were a little ahead of the whole retro-grouch/sustainable thing.

Favorite Trail:   Winberry Tie Trail

Purchased At:   Peak Sports, Corvall

Bike Setup:   No original components or parts except the stem, old Suntour XC Pro shifters, and handlebars. Everything else has been replaced multiple times. I'm running old XT derailleurs with Suntour shifters in friction mode! Still works!

Submitted by C Keller a Weekend Warrior from Council Bluffs, IA

Date Reviewed: September 3, 2009

Bottom Line:
I was looking for a good, used bike. This was a trade in the guy had just gotten in, in great condition. Gave him $150 and took hit home the next day. I love it.

Favorite Trail:   Wabash

Purchased At:   True Wheel Bicycle

Submitted by Indigo a Weekend Warrior from Charlotte, NC

Date Reviewed: April 25, 2006

Strengths:    Frame: I owned and rode this bike over 8,000 miles since 1989 - the frame feels as good as new. Geometry: What a handler, haven't encountered a trail it couldn't face up to. Ease of use and care: This is a do-it-yourselfer's dream machine - nothing that can't be fixed, changed or adjusted by the average biker without hassle. Almost mystic reputation: If you get spotted by fellow riders out on the trail you are sure to get some amazed looks and comments!!

Weaknesses:    Obviously the 'at the time appropriate' no suspension hardtail configuration (although it provides the best feel for the trail, it's set-up like a sports car as opposed to family sedan). The original handlebars, rims & hubs where heavy and soon out of date.

Bottom Line:
Will never sell it (unless a truly amazing offer is received). Owned it for 17 years and have to say this is by far one of the best mountain bikes one can own. To put it into perspective, this is likely to be the single most often and 'abused' posessions I ever owned - and it still performs as good as the day I got it some 17-18 years ago!!

Favorite Trail:   Renaissance Park

Purchased At:   some bike store in Germany

Similar Products Used:   1995 Specialized and 1996 Cannondale - nice but in reality: No comparison to the absolut overall usefulness of the MB-1. It is true allrounder that feels and handles right on any terrain.

Bike Setup:   Mostly original, upgraded front & rear shimano derailleurs, cogs and rims (alloy), handlebar and grips (shaved approx. 2.5 lbs. off the original trim).

Submitted by Rod Simmons a Weekend Warrior from San Diego

Date Reviewed: April 8, 2005

Strengths:    Frame geometry & tubing, eclectic mix of componentry without bowing to fashions of the time (like under chain stay brakes - jeez that was a lame one).

Weaknesses:    Came with drop bars (we're talking 1986 version here folks), tried em for a while but eventually switched them out for conventional setup

Bottom Line:
Just broke down and replaced the MB-1 (I still have it of course) with a full suspension Iron-Horse Warrior Pro ($800 from Supergo). The Iron-Horse is a Clydesdale weight wise but my near 50 year old butt likes the cushiness of full suspension.

Purchased At:   Don't remember

Similar Products Used:   Also had a top o' line Fisher - preferred the Bridgestone

Bike Setup:   Swapped cranks with the 180cm from the Fisher (I'm 6'6"), built a lightweight set of wheels with Dura-ace road hubs/16 ga spokes (they'll break they told me - I did break two spokes last year - h'mmm 18 years later), ditched the Sun Tour rear derailler for a Shimano 105 (same a as Deore of the era but w/short cage), ran a 12-24 rear cluster w/a 24/34/48 on the front. Minus pump and seat bag the bike weighed sub 26 lbs. Swapped the fork for a Manitou 4 in 1995.

Submitted by Glen a Weekend Warrior from Burbank

Date Reviewed: March 8, 2004

Strengths:    Great frame and excellent componets

Weaknesses:    Bridgestone doesn't make them any longer.

Bottom Line:
I love this bike. I raced it for about 3 years when I bought it. Don't remember the year but it the first year Shimano went to a 7 speed.
People said the frame was somewhat delicate.
When racing I was 225lbs, now I'm over 250. It's still together, straight, and working fine. These bikes were made in an elegant way. Not the typcal, throw a bunch of extra steel and loose angles type of contruction. It's steep head angle makes it the narrow single track bike ever. I wish they still made this or were still around making even better bikes. Bridgestone was a large company that handled tself like a custom shop.

Purchased At:   Bike Shack

Similar Products Used:   Nothing as good

Bike Setup:   Pretty original.

Submitted by Alan a Weekend Warrior from Santa Rosa, CA USA

Date Reviewed: June 17, 2003

Strengths:    This is a very responsive mountain bike that works well on the trail as well as city streets. It's light, strong and well built.

Weaknesses:    The worst part is I can't get a new one.

Bottom Line:
This is an excellent bicycle that is a lot of fun to ride. I have left fellow riders in the dust as the this bike jams uphill. The traction is excellent. On the street or trail the quick responsive geometry of the bike is a gas. The Ritchie crankset is very responsive, with very little side sway as I crank on the peddles. It truly powers ahead of the others. Overall, a great bike.

Purchased At:   $1,000

Similar Products Used:   Bianchi, Raleigh, Rockhopper

Bike Setup:   19" frame, off-road tires, rack, water bottles, seat bag, tools.

Submitted by Eric Moss a Weekend Warrior from Lincoln NE, USA

Date Reviewed: January 20, 2003

Strengths:    Decent weight, tough, classy. The dimensions are just right, with a longish top tube for those who like their back a bit flatter. Given its durability, it's a true bargain.

Weaknesses:    Not thrilled with handlebars' bend angle, but that's cheap to fix.

Bottom Line:
I bought this and the Ideale saddle in 1989. I've put 14,000+ miles on them, about 90% street riding. I've put several new chains and cogsets on, and have put in new bearings every 3 years, new hub grease every 3-6 months. The original hubs are still smooth, as are the headset and BB. I estimate another 15,000 miles before I have to decide whether to keep it. :)

I can't imagine a non-suspension large-scale production bike being any better. If I ever replace it, it will likely be with a Rivendell (the former Bridgestone guys).

Favorite Trail:   anything but horse trails (!)

Bike Setup:   Original parts except Ideale #92 saddle and Continental tires.

Submitted by Michael McCarthy a Racer from Eugene, Oregon, Lane

Date Reviewed: September 1, 2002

Strengths:    Simple statement of beauty, the Ritchey forged crown in the rigid forks, tough enough to race, light enough to outdance most other bikes on the street, or bikepath. The components were thought out in terms of how they fit together to make a tasteful, durible, and long lasting product overall.

Weaknesses:    The way the crankarm was indexed to the chainwheel mounts. The usual frets about the stock seat, headset, bottom bracket, and other not the most rugged and maintainance free choices out there. The headtube will elongate from normal use. I installed a Chris King before this happened to my machine.

Bottom Line:
This bicycle is one of over a duzen quality machines I own. I ride every day, year round. This machine goes out the door for a larger variety of uses then amy other bicycle I own, and I include two non-suspension Kleins in the ridable 'herd.' That speaks for itself. I upgraded in the spirit of what the bike is; old style XTR front derailleur, original XT rear (because of the spring), the original style of crankset, brakes that work far better then the stock ones, with the proper levers for them, and staying with the wheels and gear shifters, because two shifting levers cannot be traded for four without contridicting what a Bridgestone MB-1 is.

Ask me again about this bike decades from now. If I am alive, it will be too.

Favorite Trail:   Skyline

Purchased At:   Paul's Bicycle Way of Life

Similar Products Used:   I own a Dura Ace equiped RB-1/1994 (The MB-1 is a 1993)

Bike Setup:   Race face BB, Chris King HS, Shamano XTR old new stock five pin crankset, XTR 'V' brakes, Ritchey Prolite bars, Brooks B-17 titanium seat, Bruce Gordon custom rack set.

Submitted by Josef a Racer from Milpitas,California,USA

Date Reviewed: December 20, 2001

Strengths:    Still the best bike I've ever ridden since 1986.Super light,strong and fast.Ritchey Logic frameset with rigid fork.All Shimano XT with XT thumbshifters.Installed Specialized Ground Controls and the then new Sella Flite Ti Saddle.Kept much of it stock,with the original Ritchey and Shimano components.It was race ready right out the shop.My first ride was scary as this bike was very quick steering due to upright,racing angles.Very similiar to the Ritchey P-23 but much more affordable.A true mountian bike legend.Nothing else comes close,not even any Santa Cruz and I own one.

Weaknesses:    None.

Bottom Line:
The bike was stolen almost 7 years ago but if I see another,I will buy it.If I see mine,I'm stealing it back.It's worth it.

Favorite Trail:   Joseph D. Grant county park

Purchased At:   Wheel Away Cycles

Similar Products Used:   1999 Santa Cruz Chameleon,1990 Ritchey P-23,1992 Specialized Stumpjumper Team.1987 Stumpjumper Team built by Dave Tesch.

Bike Setup:   Stock with Ritchey Logic components,Shimano XT and Ground Control S tires.Right front lever stopped front brake,motorcycle style.

Submitted by Mark a Cross Country Rider from Carbondale, Colorado

Date Reviewed: October 22, 2001

Strengths:    Tracks better than any bike I have ever been on. Great for single-track--the windier, the better. Solid construction (except look at weaknesses). Most original parts stayed on until the last few years. Looked good too.

Weaknesses:    Until it broke, none. September 1999 it finally broke on the downtube behind the lug. I think Bridgestone figured this out, and didn't make the lugs the same shape in future years.

Bottom Line:
The best all-around trail bike I have ever ridden. Even without a front shock, it was still smooth riding. Other MB-1 owners that beat their bikes to death had warned me, but I did not want to believe that it ever would break, but it did. I had planned to keep FOREVER (or until I die, whichever came first), but it ONLY lasted ten years (with most of them hard riding). The break was on the downtube behind the lug. From reading, I believe that Bridgestone realized the problem was the lug shape, so later years may not have this problem. Even with this possible break problem, I would probably buy a frame in good shape if I ran across one. I now ride a custom frame that was designed with the MB-1 geometry as the base, so it rides very well--but seems rougher than the MB-1 (custom frame is super strong with thick tubing to last, which may make it not as compliant). Anyways, if you love single-track, it would be the frame to have if you can find one.

Purchased At:   Bike Gallery in Portland, OR

Similar Products Used:   Tried a bunch in 1989, but nothing rode like it. Now ride a custom Strong Racing hardtail and a Specialized FSR-XC.

Bike Setup:   When she left for that other world, had changed to 8-speed, 97 Manitou SX fork, different seat, went threadless headset, and finally had to get new wheels (those Ritcheys lasted nine years!).

Submitted by Colin a Cross Country Rider from Indianapolis, Indiana, US

Date Reviewed: July 18, 2001

Strengths:    sooooo smooooth! it has a much better ride than most new bikes. componants are all great too. climbs, descends and keeps up with the bikes of today. Get all kinds of complimants.

Weaknesses:    afraid of breaking the original componants, but the frame only has one true enemy, rust.

Bottom Line:
It is just a great bike!!! i sure do wish i could get one today. it rides the small bumps sooo well. THis is also a very unique bike. it handles very well and old compants work well too.i just hate to ride it like it was meant to be ridden, it makes me cringe.i feel sorry for any one who doesn't have one!

Purchased At:   mathew's bike shop

Similar Products Used:   Rocky Mountain Instinct, Moab 1, specialized stubjumber

Bike Setup:   all original(all shimano xt) except for fork(sx-r), headset(cane creek) and stem(salsa) and saddle

Submitted by Wolf a Weekend Warrior from Kirkland, WA, USA

Date Reviewed: May 13, 2001

Strengths:    Still looks great after 11 years. Versatile on road with slicks and dirt trails with knobbys. Bulletproof Tange frame.

Weaknesses:    None when purchased in 1990 and none since.

Bottom Line:
This is one of those bikes that was an instant classic much like a Paramount. A $1,000 was major cash to pay in 1990 but has given 11 years of pleasure and likely will continue to provide many more years.

It's fondest memories include riding one day (100 miles) of the two day STP (Seattle to Portland ride) on my MB-1 and passing with ease many chi-chi road bikes.

About a year ago I saw a used MB-1 in the classifieds for $200. I called too late. If you see one call quickly-they are rare and they are classic.

Purchased At:   Montlake Bicycle Shop-Seattle

Similar Products Used:   Currently own a 2001 Sugar 2 and a Specialized Ground Control FSR, both which get more use than the MB-1 but every time I ride it I realize it is probably the best bike I've ever owned.

Bike Setup:   Stock. Currently set up as a commuter with Blackburn rack and fenders (it sometimes rains here in the Northwest!!). How about a very well broken in Brooks B-17 saddle (the original "parts-saver"). When it was new I had a Scott front suspension shock which froze up into a rigid shock very quickly. The original fork resides there now.

Submitted by Mike a Cross Country Rider from Austin, TX

Date Reviewed: April 18, 2001

Strengths:    It's now 12 yrs old w/ stock suntour XC Pro & Ritchey parts & still tears up the trail.

Weaknesses:    They don't sell them in the states anymore; 1" steerer makes it hard to upgrade(then again I haven't had to). I agree w/ the earlier post about Shimano's built-in obsolescence. F#@! shimano, they suck. Avoid at all costs if possible.

Bottom Line:
I've ridden this bike HARD for 12 years now. It's been raced, crashed & launched on everything from Austin to California & it's still going strong. It's outlasted 3 cars & too many girlfriends to count. Most durable thing I've ever owned. Enough said.

Similar Products Used:   I ride a Bontrager these days, but am still holding on to my old friend the MB-1.

Bike Setup:   Mostly stock '89 or so (I forget) MB-1. Suntour XC-pro/Ritchey. I did break down in about '93 & put on a suspension fork - I know, I know, what a wuss...

Submitted by monte dirks a Cross Country Rider from sartell, minnesota

Date Reviewed: March 1, 2001

Strengths:    light steel bike that is bomb proof. easily upgradable. hard tail bike that is so retro. cool to ride next to the full suspension bikes of today and laugh

Weaknesses:    the biggest weakness is that I can't buy a new 2001 model

Bottom Line:
this is the ultimate bargin bike if you can find one used. it rips through single track, hills, and decends like a champ. It may not have all of the gadgets of a full suspension, disc braked, titanium bike but if you want a unique bike that can be used for casual rides or weekend rippers this is the bike for you. I will hang this bike on the wall before I let it out of my sight. Please Bstone make bikes available to the US agian!

Favorite Trail:   long and steep

Purchased At:   used from some poor guy

Similar Products Used:   owned a MB-5 before this and it was not resopnsive and lite like my 93MB-1

Bike Setup:   xt front and rear hubs and deralieurs,xt headset. ritchey post,stem,bar, crank,and rims. tioga bottom bracket. updated xt v-brakesand levers, judy xc fork. Still have the old crown fork!