Bianchi Super Ibex Bike 1998 or Older

Submitted by Peter S. Spiro a cross-country rider from Toronto, Canada

Date Reviewed: September 30, 1998

Bottom Line:

I recently bought a used 1996 model, because the price was too good to resist, even though I wasn't sure I really needed a full suspension bike. This is essentially the same frame as the Super Grizzly or Super G, but with lower end components. It is quire light for a dual suspension bike, 27.5 pounds as I got it and now 27 that I've substituted lighter tires. I ride it on hard packed bumpy trails and pot-holed roads, with 1.5 inch tires at 65 pounds pressure, and it rides wonderfully. I'm 150 pounds, and I've set both front and rear shocks to softest. It's not that you don't notice the bumps, but they don't bother you anymore. I can ride over the worst bumps at high speed and not suffer. I don't do any technical riding and am never likely to dive off 4 foot embankments, so I have no experience with the suspension bottoming out. The only other dual suspension bike I've ridden was a Trek Y3, and on that I noticed serious biopacing, the bike bobbing up and down even when riding on a smooth road. There's none of that with my Bianchi. This has convinced me that dual suspension is the way to go for general riding. The cost in terms of price and weight has been relatively low, and it makes for much pleasanter riding.