Bianchi Osprey Bike Bike 1998 or Older

3.89/5 (9 Reviews)

Bianchi Osprey

Submitted by lee philippi a Weekend Warrior from phoenixville, pa USA

Date Reviewed: August 14, 2008

Strengths:    lug frame, tight geometry, bullet proof

Weaknesses:    none as long as you keep up with maintenance

Bottom Line:
Bought bike new in 86, have ridden in MN, CO, WI, NJ, PA. Gave to a friend who let it sit for 2 years. Got it back and for less than $100 I'm back on the trails. Riding position does put you forward and I've been "Over the bars" a few times. You need to position yourself farther back on the seat to avoid this. Local bike shop referred to it as "Vintage" They don't make em' like this anymore. I don't see myself riding anything else in the near future. FYI I'm 63 yrs. old!
Keep the wheels under you!

Favorite Trail:   Estes Park Colo

Purchased At:   Dave's Bike Shop St

Bike Setup:   brakes and shifters have been upgraded, still Shimano brand,
Softride suspension, Ritchy handlebars, Cateye computer

Submitted by maatin brando a Cross Country Rider from raleigh nc, seattle wa

Date Reviewed: October 11, 2006

Strengths:    light weight for old steel frame, looong top tube (very hard to get at this price range)it has lugz!!! OF A SORT ANYWAY good basic geometry which means for than anything in the lonog run along with the comfy ride

Weaknesses:    i never liked them there vertical dropouts on the rear wheelstays but whatchagonnado? 1" headtube limits options somewhat.

Bottom Line:
look at bikes owned...i owned most everything cause i been riding since day-1 when the only mtn. bike avail was a small-rear wheel cannondale or high priced warrior.
anyway, been through a lot of'em. wish i had the brodie or rocky or kona...those were sweet high end steel bikes. but you know what, this little podunk bianchi keeps me from upgrading because it is relatively light (25.6 lbs. with nothing fancy-lightweight on it!)

this is in the same league of comfort, manueverability and indestructiveness as my old steel specialized rockhopper but lighter, as light as my trek tru-temper oxII frame but tougher and with a longer top tube. I REALLY LIKE This bike, even better is the GRIzzly bianchi but cant find them quite as cheap. anyway, maybe the best bang for the buck on a 1996 frame out there, will not ever sell this one.

Favorite Trail:   the tighter the better

Purchased At:   ebay of course

Similar Products Used:   steel: brodie, kona, special ed, nishiki, raleigh, gary wisher, trek, rocky mountain, dekerf, fat chance, khs
aluminum: cannondale, trek, raleigh...uhh, didnt car for ANY aluminum bike

Bike Setup:   bunch of 2nd hand stuff from ebay, STX der's with gripshift, softride stem and tektro brakes....nothing fancy but its all durable and relatively lightweight and with minor mods, pretty much as good as its ever gonna get unless i shell out for complete xtr...aint gonna happen.

Submitted by Chet a Cross-Country Rider from Chas, WV

Date Reviewed: December 7, 1999

Strengths:
Climbs like a goat. Lightweight for steel. Ritchey megabite tires lasted/performed well. A great feel.

Weaknesses:
Stock rims a little soft. Bar end bolts slam top tube when you crash. DAMN CHAIN

Bottom Line:
Great bike for the buck. Once I upgraded to front suspension I was pleased with bike. Had to have bottom bracket and chain replaced within first month, but after that all is well. Four flamin chilis!

Blackbear

more than 3 years

GT Rebound/ Cannondale m600/ GT tequesta/ KHS Alite 4000

Manitou EFC Fork with speedsprings. STX-RC components.

Submitted by CX a Cross-Country Rider from Ottawa

Date Reviewed: May 27, 1999

Strengths:
good for tough climbs and easy downhills. Good sturdy frame with something i haven't seen before..overtop of the major welds metal renforcements cover up the joint. I don't know if this gives it any major stuctural support.

Weaknesses:
The chain seemed to break in no time and the handle bars hit the top bar

Bottom Line:
a good bike overall but i wouldn't trust it for long rides seems to fall apart after extended use without maintanace. Clean the chain often or else it will start to click around.

3 months

standard setup with a knew chain and front sprocket

Submitted by dloh a weekend warrior from Somerville, MA

Date Reviewed: January 12, 1999

Bottom Line:

Bought 1998 model on sale at REI for $300. Rode well--for the first two rides, then the chain broke. Got it replaced for free. Now the chain skips a bit on the larger freewheels (will have to replace or adjust the chain). Yet, I like the bike. It climbs well and is stable on downhills. I can't, however, recommend it to anyone else based on my experience.

Submitted by sean a weekend warrior from CA

Date Reviewed: March 21, 1998

Bottom Line:

I got this bike in March of 97 and it was a 95' model, so it was only $299 instead of $540. Killer Deal!!! It is light, sturdy, and climbs like a mountain goat! My only complaints are that the cables for the shifters and
rear brakes run along the top tube, and for some reason that section of the cables isn't covered, so they bang on the paint. My other complaint is that
the screw on the Onza bar ends that came with it scraped on the top tube if
the handlebars swung too far around. When I tried to raise the handlebars as instructed in the manuel, it didn't work. Otherwise this bike is perfect!

Submitted by ben a cross-country rider from ohio

Date Reviewed: October 12, 1997

Bottom Line:

I've been a roadie for about two years and have been off road for about a month with theis bike. It climbs real well and handles well on light technical. Overall, I found it to be a good bike. However, I got some major chainsuck and collapsed the right chainstay. The whole side was mashed. Besides the frame now being destroyed, it was a good bike.

Submitted by Chris H. a weekend warrior from Colorado

Date Reviewed: July 31, 1997

Bottom Line:

For the money this is a good buy, particularly if you can get a '96 model. The geometry does put you forward, but you can always change the stem easily enough, but being flatter helps climbing big time. I have a longer torso (sp?) and shorter legs, so this bike suits me perfectly.

Submitted by Evan Dorn a cross-country rider from Boise, ID

Date Reviewed: June 14, 1996

Bottom Line:

The saga rolls on... Today (day 2), I tested (now six) bikes in the $450-$650
range to get an across-the board comparison. The terrain is the same as
yesterday, with drops, boulders, steep, sand, gravel, etc. Results:

I was unimpressed by the Osprey. The geometry put my upper body weight far
forward over the stem, making the steering overreactive and squirrely,
similar to the lowend stumpjumper I described yesterday. It was especially
difficult to navigate the bike down narrow, steep sections of 4 deep sand-
the bike wanted to overcorrect and jump one way or the other. Another
consequence of the geometry was the bike's increased tendency to endo-
I was nearly thrown twice on stuff I navigated fine on fisher and cannondale
bikes.

At first, I was skeptical of the tektro brakes after spending two days almost
exclusively on alivios. However, they seemed fine and were quite rigid and
grippy. After I go back and try them one more time, I'll write a separate
review.

All in all, I think there are better bikes in the price range. To my taste,
both the mongoose alta and the Fisher Mamba have superior geometries, and the
Mamba has a suspension fork (Quadra 5)... and both are within $50 of the
Bianchi. 2 stars at best.