Bianchi Ocelot Bike Bike 1998 or Older

4.2/5 (15 Reviews)

Bianchi Ocelot

Submitted by Gene a Weekend Warrior from St. Louis, Missouri

Date Reviewed: August 31, 2001

Strengths:    An excellent bike for the money. I agree with many of the other reviews submitted. If you compare, as I did, dollar for dollar this bike is awesome. I couldn't come close to this type of frame and quality from any other manufacturer at this price. It's held up great. I've had mine since around 1994 and I've NEVER had a problem with it. Just the shifting on steep hills is difficult. It's been on street, fields, trails, creeks, rain, and snow. Still riding strong as new. This would be a good bike for the beginner up through the intermediate.

Weaknesses:    Steep hill shifting is difficult.

Bottom Line:
If you want a good bike thats going to last and one that you can ride on almost any type of terrain, this is it. I HIGHLY RECOMMEND IT FOR IT'S PRICE!

Purchased At:   Mesa Cycles, Clayton, Mo.

Submitted by al iannuchi a Downhiller from plainville ma

Date Reviewed: October 18, 1999

Strengths:

Weaknesses:
all the entire thing sucks i hate it and im defenately selling it but i dont think any one is enough of a sucker to buy that lump of junk. the first time i rode it it fell apart and i therew it down the hill

Bottom Line:
stinky

waterville vally

1 Year

rock shock jet engine

Submitted by Dylan a Cross-Country Rider from Ottawa, ON

Date Reviewed: June 14, 1999

Strengths:
Very quick ride. Smooth. Great price for a decent weight.

Weaknesses:
Shifting uphill can sometimes be difficult.

Bottom Line:
Corners well and is great for downhills. After adding shocks, the XC handling improvement of the bike was massive. Not a single problem with the the frame or the components. All in all a real tough bike.

Bromont, QC

2 Years

Added RST 281 shocks, Tektro V brakes, Radical aluminium bar-ends, Velo gel MTB seat, and Maxxis MOFO tires.

Submitted by James Benton a weekend warrior from Pittsburgh,Pa

Date Reviewed: October 2, 1998

Bottom Line:

Nice Bike I have had mine 4 months the hills do shift very hard its not you. if do not drop front gear way before you get there you won't. three piece crank has been problematic its been replace and up dated and hardware keeps backing out. great on trails, quick on turns,welled geared

Submitted by jABE a cross-country rider from PA

Date Reviewed: July 8, 1998

Bottom Line:

Well it's been about 1 year since I got my Ocelot and I am atill as pleased as I was when I got it.Bianchi ain't the OLDEST bike company inthe world for nothing!!! This is still the best deal for a rigd frame bike in this price range. Trek, Cannondale , Gary Fisher etc have crap frames at this price range
and take a look at their forks comapred to the Bianchi, thin , wispy.. WEAK. Sorry folks but Bianchi might not have the HYPE of the rest but they got a better BIKE than the rest!!!!!!!!KICK ASS!!!!!!

Submitted by Adam Stine a weekend warrior from Pennsylvania

Date Reviewed: March 5, 1998

Bottom Line:

Nice bike, I haven't had a chance to ride all that much, but like what I have seen of it so far. Good entry-level bike for an entry-level rider like me. It is very smooth (more so than I expected) and relativly light for the price. Plus the few adjustments I have had to make have been very easy.

Submitted by Carlo Chiodo a weekend warrior from Australia

Date Reviewed: November 15, 1997

Bottom Line:

I have no idea about MTB and this leads me to the conclusion that Ocelot is a great beginner bike. Only 1 week but riden every day for 2 hrs. No problems except some shifting rproblems on steep hills, probably just my fault, need lessons and also gear shift problems, need to change to Gearshift ESP system I think. MY ADVICE: BUY IT!!!

Submitted by JB a cross-country rider from PA

Date Reviewed: September 15, 1997

Bottom Line:

Great Bike for very little $$$$$$. I don't understaned these guys who say they are busting up their Ocelots by riding them?! Uh lose some weight.... anyhow I am adding things such as bar ends and pedal clips to upgrades slightly. Also the Grip shift 400 is nice and smooth...havent had to adjust at all. This bike kicks the crap out of anything Ive seen in it's price range....Bianchi rules!

Submitted by JOHN a cross-country rider from SYD, AUS

Date Reviewed: May 10, 1997

Bottom Line:

THE FORKS BENT A MONTH AFTER I BOUGHT THE BIKE AND NOW THE FRAME'S BENT

Submitted by john jefferson a weekend warrior

Date Reviewed: April 29, 1997

Bottom Line:

i once kicked it with the bianchi ocelot and within one month the frame broke
right in the middle and the company tried to offend me because of harrasement.
what a bummer that bike .

Submitted by Cam a weekend warrior from Melbourne, Australia

Date Reviewed: March 5, 1997

Bottom Line:

A great bike for those of us without the money for anything Hi-tech.
Very smooth shifting and good component quality.
All in all a nice ride

Submitted by mauricio chepote a weekend warrior from lima Peru

Date Reviewed: February 4, 1997

Bottom Line:

Is A EXCELENTE BIKE FOR ME!!!!!!
I Rode a lot last semester without any problem , the bike is stil quiet, I think that is very good bike, I am so happy to own a Ocelot, bike

Submitted by J.O. a weekend warrior from Spring Lake, Michigan

Date Reviewed: November 10, 1996

Bottom Line:

Not any problems so far with my bike. It is solid and has a good frame that was in my price range. The parts are pretty good for the price of the bike. I rode it a ton this past summer through tough trails and the bike was still remarkably quiet. I also rode in the snow this year and it handled the roads well.

Submitted by Drew Battista a cross-country rider from Dover, New Hampshire

Date Reviewed: October 17, 1996

Bottom Line:

I agree with Nelson that the Ocelot is a nice bike for a beginner. I have one, and i've had no problems with it. It has great conponants and an added suspension fork would make this bike quite impressive.
Bianchi's Lynx is like the Ocelot only with Rock Shox Quadra 5's.

Submitted by Nelson Ho a cross-country rider from Potomac, MD

Date Reviewed: June 3, 1996

Bottom Line:

The Bianchi Ocelot is a great beginner bike. It offers supeior value for the
money over most other brands. It has a FULL cromo frame and cromo fork, unlike
many entry level bikes with only cromo seattube. It comes with entry level GripShift and
Shimano Acera-X derailleurs. The bike weighs in at 29.5lbs, relatively light for
a bike costing about $320.