Bianchi Ibex Bike 1998 or Older

4.5/5 (4 Reviews)

Bianchi Ibex

Submitted by Wil Welsh a Weekend Warrior from Latrobe, PA, USA

Date Reviewed: September 14, 2006

Strengths:    Frame Joints are lugged & brazed, so they're super strong for abusive riders. All cabling is carried across top tube to avoid mud and water interference with shifting & brakeing. Very sturdy frame. Amazing 3 and 4 tone paintjobs. Best Looking paint process I've ever come across.

Weaknesses:    Extra weight of frame construction can take away riders strength.

Steel handlebars & seatpost had to go after about 2 months of slowly bending under my body weight.

Exage Component set... expect to replace bottom bracket and cassette regularly & the cranks are a bit crappy.

I broke the steel stem after about 3/4 of a year.

I wouldnt mind seeing a 0.5 degree change in the angle of the stem tube. Sometimes its too easy to oversteer.

Quadras eventually need elastomers replaced with a spring kit or more elastomers.

Eventually front fork cable will wear away a hole in the paint revealing underlying metal. Every time you wiggle the handlebars, it erodes a tiny bit of the paint by scraping the cable against the frame.

Bottom Line:
Great bike for heavy (weight wise) and abusive riders. The frame is solid as they come. Not so good for lighter or weaker riders because of the weight. Bike has less uphill power than previous bikes i've owned. Probably something to do with the shocks, and the weight of the bike.

Favorite Trail:   WestCo Highlands Dune Buggy Club, Laurel Highlands pa

Purchased At:   Bicycle Express, Irwin PA

Similar Products Used:   Fuji Sandblaster. Specialized Rockhopper.

Bike Setup:   Nuke Proof Carbonfiber bars, zoom stem, gt saddlepost, generic titanium seat from nashbar. Panaracer smoke / dart tires, oury grips, Ozona bar ends.

Submitted by Doug a Weekend Warrior from Salt Lake City

Date Reviewed: September 16, 1999

Strengths:
Good light bike. Easy to manuever. Climbs well and is stable on the downhill parts.

Weaknesses:
Elastomer shock.

Bottom Line:
Good buy. The bike is a great bike. The shock and components could be upgraded, but then what can't.

2 Years

Submitted by Kauka Koakai a cross-country rider from san francisco

Date Reviewed: April 6, 1998

Bottom Line:

After riding a road bike on a 70 miler around Oahu including the Keena Point
off road area, I picked up a '96 Ibex to find out what it feels like to have
the right equipment for off road dirt, rock, and volcanic mud. Since the
total cost including upgrades of V-brakes, speed springs, clipless pedals, and a better saddle was under $700, I am very pleased with the 21.5 inch frame holding up under my 205 lbs. on Marin trails and Coastal single tracks. I am
just about to buy a Bianchi Ti (nee Litspeed Obed) at a reduced price but I'm
going to keep the Ibex handy to ride when conditions get wet and muddy.
my

Submitted by Zach from Chapel Hill North Carolina

Date Reviewed: April 6, 1998

Bottom Line:

This bike is sweet. I got it on sale for around $450 and with LX it is a sweet deal. The only thing I am
going to upgrade are V-Brakes. It is a good deal for a beginer on a budget. I mostly ride singletrack and
just entered a race with it. This is my first real mtn. bike but compared to my friends I saved about $300.