Barracuda Team XX Bike Bike 1998 or Older

4.73/5 (33 Reviews)

Barracuda Team XX

Submitted by dgodfrey a Weekend Warrior from Gainesville, FL, USA

Date Reviewed: July 27, 2010

Strengths:    I have loved this bike since I purchased my Team Dos XX model in the mid-90s, brand new. Saw it on clearance in a local shop, rode it briefly and no other bike has ever handled like this. It still has pretty much all the original parts and has been going strong.....until now.

Weaknesses:    No "weaknesses" for 20 years, but just found out that I have an unrepairable crack in the frame. I'm crushed and wondering how I can restore this bad-boy or at least get a replacement frame that I can stick all my old components on. They still work great and are cool as hell.

Bottom Line:
May have to say goodbye to my old friend.

Purchased At:   Gainesville bike sho

Similar Products Used:   Nothing else like it.

Bike Setup:   Stock and rock solid.

Submitted by digitalkreation a Weekend Warrior from Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Date Reviewed: September 22, 2008

Strengths:    1. Killer paint scheme
2. Strong tubeset (with the teardrop top tube)
3. Product rarity

Weaknesses:    If you're looking for one? See item #3 above..

Bottom Line:
I was 21 and took a stroll through a new Bike Shop that opened in London Ontario called "The Spokes People", just off Richmond near Joe Kool's. They had the entire Barracuda product line hanging in the racks. I'd never seen the Barracuda line, and was immediately taken with the XX-Team bike. I asked for a test ride and was granted 15 minutes on the bike. Sold!!

Now, I only had enough money for a frame, but I sweet-talked one of the co-owners into stripping it down. The next day, I had the frame in my hands. I think I paid $600.00 plus taxes.

I was out of work soon after, and the frame sat in my basement for the winter. In the spring, I still hadn't found a great job and needed money, so I sold the frame back to the shop, expecting I'd be able to get it again once I had some cash. Unfortunately, the bike shop went under, and nobody else in town dealt in Barracuda. It's 1995 and the internet wasn't what it is now, so I had little means of locating another shop with access to them.

Fast forward to the present day. I'm searching for these bikes and am finding it hard to find any in decent shape. I'm reading this forum and picking up some history on the brand and everyone's experiences with their bikes, and I see one post stick out from a chap who (when he posted in 2003 or something) offered to part with his. On a whim, I email him to see if it went and for how much. He still has it!

After some negotiating, I purchase the bike and within a week, it's sitting here in my livingroom, stripped and cleaned. Unfortunately, the bike has been loved battlescars) and I will likely need to hire Spectrum Powder Works to refinish it. I'd have loved to keep the finish as it is, for historical purposes, but I'm fine with a new paintjob. They will even recreate the graphics by hand and seal them under the clear coat.

I plan on restoring this bike using the A2X Team Issue components, which included Ringle accessories and period correct XTR components. I will post some pics here in my profile and over at www.retrobike.co.uk (who has a great Barracuda section including some vintage ads and a 1995 catalogue.

Just wanted to share my story and experiences with anyone reading. You never know what you may find with a little digging. :)

Favorite Trail:   Gibbons Singletrack (London, ON)

Purchased At:   Online - Arizona

Similar Products Used:   Rocky Mountain Hammer, Specialized Stumpjumper

Bike Setup:   A2X Team Components (Ringle, XTR, etc)

Submitted by Mark Ehm a Racer from Windsor,Ontario

Date Reviewed: December 3, 2006

Strengths:    Solid as hell

Weaknesses:    rear cantilever mount

Bottom Line:
At first I thought my XX Team was to big for me(as I enjoy throwing around smaller bikes). After a year of riding this old-school beast, I have gotten totally attached.She handles awesome and she weighs next to nothing(unlike my wife)Anyhoo, my buddy sent me this frame from up north and it sat around for almost 2 years before I gave her an overhaul. I'll be riding this B*tch for a while!!
Not meant for the downhill scene but great for people who like speed!

Favorite Trail:   Suicide Hill

Purchased At:   friend

Bike Setup:   XTR rear derailleur,LX rapidfire shifters,Race Face stem,bars,seatpost,headset,crank.Bombers up front

Submitted by Scott Packer a Cross Country Rider from Salt Lake City, UT

Date Reviewed: July 29, 2006

Strengths:    Old school! This was my first bike. My ex-wife has had it sitting around in her garage, and I just got it back from her. I replace the old marzoochi xcr fork and replaced it with a magura asgard fork. Brings back memories, this bike rides nice after all these years. It still has the original derailers, shifters, wheels. I get a lot compliments when I ride it.

Bottom Line:
I have a brand new Yeti 575, Cannondale Gemini, GT idrive, but i still like to ride my Barracuda! It is light, climbs well, looks cool, and nobody else has one of these anymore. If you see kickass vintage USA made bikes like this, buy it and appreciate how far technology has come, eventhough I would put this up against most new hardtails.

Favorite Trail:   Thunder Mountain, Wasatch Crest, Zippety Doo Dah

Purchased At:   Revolutions, OKC

Similar Products Used:   hardtail cannondale, yeti arc

Bike Setup:   Panaracer xc pros, avid v brakes, Magura Asgard fork, easton monkeybars, ODI lock ons, everything else is stock! I kept all the old parts eventhough they are wore out.

Submitted by Christian Tichatschke a Cross Country Rider from Munich, Germany

Date Reviewed: March 15, 2002

Strengths:    absolutely great paint job, frame geometry and material, uniqueness and style

Weaknesses:    rear cable hanger, at leadt if you wanted to use cantis

Bottom Line:
In 1994 I bought the Barracuda team bike (Durango), which had commercially been called A2X but was completely similar to the XX, only lacking all the fancy red stuff, which came from the master Goeff himself. Well, I bought a ringlé stem instead to give that bike what it needed! I still got the old Tange Ultralight tubed frame, which was changed into an aluminium one in ´95, I think. It is a really nicely welded frame, absolutely light and the design is perfect. I fell in love with it from the first minute I saw it. The harder it was to see how the company went down, and the bikes build after ´96 shouldn´t carry the name Barracuda any more....
The handling of the bike is great. It took me for some thousand kilometers above various mountains throughout Europe and it still works great. Of course some of the old parts had to be removed, but the frame and even the Manitou III still are doing their jobs. I´m very proud of owning one of these fine bikes, which, if it comes to the Cuda team, had never been available in Germany.
This is a hell of a bike, I love it and will never change it into one of these faceless new ones!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Favorite Trail:   Wilde Bande Steig

Price Paid:    $1999.00

Purchased At:   Outdoorsman / Durango

Bike Setup:   xtr ´94, ringlé, bontrager rims, onza porc´s, answer steerings

Submitted by Dave a Weekend Warrior from Toronto, Canada

Date Reviewed: June 18, 2001

Strengths:    The Bike looks GREAT!!! Rock Solid Frame that rides very well. It has a solid feel to it whether you're hitting the trails hard or blazing downhill. Even with the factory gear entact this machine performs.

Weaknesses:    Attracts attention...which is not always a good thing

Bottom Line:
This is an excellent product and they are very rare to find (especially in decent shape) d.owens@excite.ca if you want to buy mine w/10hours on it for $600.

Favorite Trail:   Collingwood

Purchased At:   CyclePath

Similar Products Used:   Nothing quite like the XX.

Bike Setup:   Factory set-up, with an XT non-V brake set-up, and Manitou shoch

Submitted by Brian Dwinal a Racer from Gunnison CO

Date Reviewed: August 15, 2000

Strengths:    This bike is awsome. I have been riding it for three years now and nothing can compare to it. I've put it through everything you can think of, and it just keeps on ticking.
I've been racing on it all of those years also and the frame is still mint.

Weaknesses:    are you kiddding me?

Bottom Line:
If you can still find one of these frames BUY IT. It will last you a lifetime. I contacted Ross bikes ( they bought Barracuda out) and bought a A2t they had in there warehouse. I'll have to see how this one rides.

Favorite Trail:   The louge @ hartmans rock

Similar Products Used:   Nothing even compares

Bike Setup:   All XTR

Submitted by Mark Manlove a Weekend Warrior from Chapel Hill, N.C.

Date Reviewed: October 4, 1999

Strengths:
It's a great bike. It's good for down hill and even better for up hill

Weaknesses:
I don't like the shocks personaly but that's just me

Bottom Line:
nice bike overall

tested or demo'ed only

non to date

right now i don't use shocks i think it's just as good without them . I mean I have had them in bikes in the past but I would rather not have them if I have a choice.

Submitted by Susan a Weekend Warrior from Kingston, ON

Date Reviewed: September 29, 1999

Strengths:
Perfect frame geometry for smaller riders. Makes everyone look twice.

Weaknesses:
Adding V brakes meant zap-strapping the cables to the frame... an ugly solution.

Bottom Line:
Nice bike, too bad you can't ride it. Heard that before. I can't live up to this bikes' flashy promise. But I'll keep trying, as it's just so much fun to ride!!!

more than 3 years

DiamondBack

Stock except for Shimano 737 pedals, Nexave V brakes and brake levers.

Submitted by Charles a Cross-Country Rider from Washington, DC

Date Reviewed: August 5, 1999

Strengths:
Frame is SOLID.
Big fan of the paint job -- it's DIFFERENT, and tha't refreshing nowadays.

Weaknesses:
Max size made was 19 I'm 6'4, so I really could have used a 20

Bottom Line:
Hooray for Old School! (I'm probably going to be a bit epic in this review, so skip it if you don't have the time.)I was searching for a bike earlier this year, so I started checking into MTBR to find some older, positively-reviewed rides. This was one of them. I wanted a UNIQUE, LEGITIMATE, non-new bike. (Basically, I hadn't ridden in a LONG time and didn't want to be the poser with the ultra-expensive, triked-out bike who didn't know how to use it. I can't stand those types.) And, since you don't see older Barracudas around much anymore, I jumped on the chance to buy one off E-Bay. Luckily, I was able to find the '95 model (the last year before the buyout by Ross, I think), so it's been 100% solid. I've heard some less-positive reviews about the newer XX Team models, but that's really all hearsay. My '95 is gold.Only setback I've seen so far is that the bike was designed pre-V-brakes, so I've had to deal with a few MINOR problems making my Avids work. Clearance in the fork is lacking, so I can't fully open the brakes and get the front wheet out without deflating a bit first. (Of course, I could go and buy a new shock, but why spend the $ when mine works fine?) And, one of the frame-mounted cable guides intended for the rear brake wasn't big enough to hold a cable (go figure), so I had to re-rig brake and shifter cables to make it all work out.That aside, this bike is great. It rides well, it's solid, and it gets the job done without complaints. If you ever come across one, nab it, and then enjoy it for all it's worth. That's the bottom line.

6 months

Fisher
Cannondale
GT
Specialized

Working on all-XT transmission (not quite there yet).
Avid V's w/ 2.0 levers
Marzocchi OCR -- Factory
Sun rims -- Factory

Submitted by Ruben a Weekend Warrior from Fairfax, VA

Date Reviewed: June 12, 1999

Bottom Line:
Thanks for all the great reviews. I friend of mine just gave it me for fixxing his computer.... Now I just need to clean it up and get rid of all the stickers he has on it. I think it has all the original components... Any advice you guys could give me will help... PEACE

less than 1 month

Submitted by Kindica a Downhiller from San Antonio, Texas

Date Reviewed: April 11, 1999

Strengths:
The geometry of the frame. A +

Weaknesses:
Its weakness is the weak- ass rider behind it.

Bottom Line:
The bottom line is ride what you got and tear it up....bottom line.

Black Hill - Initiation drop-'trail of tears...sends you home crying

2 Years

Fat chance

Wicked setup.

Submitted by jun bartolome a weekend warrior from Manila, Philippines

Date Reviewed: March 11, 1999

Bottom Line:

Actually I own a 12 Cuda Comp, best bike I've ever had. Very good for trashing around, its been with me for 4 years and not a single squeak from the frame. I spec'd it with Judy DH forks, full LX components, Club Roost riser bars, X-Ray shifters. Great for dual slalom and trials.

Submitted by Chris a weekend warrior from Cincinnati, OH

Date Reviewed: December 14, 1998

Bottom Line:

I bought an A2E (cro-mo) with LX components, and a MAG21 fork a year and a half
ago. Couldn't have been happier!! This bike never ceases to get looks and compliments from posers on Cannondales everywhere. I'm shipping it out to Califronia next month to really give it the test. What's the story with this company anyhow? When did they go belly up?

Submitted by Brad a cross-country rider from Ashtabula, Ohio

Date Reviewed: November 24, 1998

Bottom Line:

Actually, looking for info. Is this company still in business?
Looking for touch up paint for a 95 Team XX. I just inherited one from a friend after I trashed my Scott. It sure is a pretty frame.If anyone can tell me how to get in touch with the manufacturer, please email me at ovi@interlaced.net